Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Fasting too long = racing heart/anxiety attack, anybody else?

I am learning SO much about my body and how food affects me with JUDDD! It is totally amazing to me.

So this has happened twice now, and I think I have figured out the reasons, but I want to know if anyone else has this experience.

Last Thursday was a down day, and Friday was an up day. I hate a light dinner at about 6pm- 3oz of lean ground beef and a green salad. I felt great, slept great, woke up and had coffee and got busy at work so I didn't eat breakfast and was not hungry. About 1130am, I started to feel a little fuzzy and realized I needed to eat so I got a sandwich and some tater tots from the cafe at my work and inhaled them. Almost immediately, my heart started Racing- I felt a little dizzy, like I was going to pass out. It made me feel very panicky, which I am sure made it worse. After I just calmed down and breathed slowly, it slowly went away. It took about an hour to feel normal again.

I figured I went about 18 hours without food, and my dinner was pretty light.

The same thing has happened again. I am pretty sure that this is what it is from, but I cannot figure out why there are people who can fast for 24 hours without that happening. Is there anything I can/should be doing differently?

It is not a terrific feeling at all.

Fitness - If it came in a bottle, everybody would have a great body.
- Cher
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TishyLish68
Stats: 234.5/141.2/145 5 ft 5.5" 45YO
WOE: LC, no grains & Intermittent fasting
Start Date: February 2009
I fast regularly with no problems, even for 36 hours. I have read a lot of info on fasting and have found that people who are fat burners like me can go longer periods without eating. I have also found that people that eat a higher carb diet and burn mostly sugar have a really tough time with fasting and the effects that a bit of detoxing brings. JMO, though.
TishyLish68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Well has not to me.. but had to my sister.. the reason i dont know.. But what she found was she neeed to put somthing no matter how large or small in her system every few hours.. so there was no spike.. I hope some one else comes along soon that "knows" a lil more about the "why" Hugs..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
We have a thread here about blood sugar and fasting that I think you should read if you have a chance. Maybe PJ or Sophie can add some of their own experiences. The great news is that it is a simple fix, eat a small breakfast or early lunch. Have you recently had your blood sugar level tested after fasting?

Why? Because fasting can elevate cortisol levels. One of cortisol’s effects is that it raises blood sugar. So, in someone with blood sugar regulation issues, fasting can actually make them worse.

This doctor's blog is linked on the other thread...

Intermittent fasting, cortisol and blood sugar
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishyLish68 View Post
I fast regularly with no problems, even for 36 hours. I have read a lot of info on fasting and have found that people who are fat burners like me can go longer periods without eating. I have also found that people that eat a higher carb diet and burn mostly sugar have a really tough time with fasting and the effects that a bit of detoxing brings. JMO, though.
Hi~ I do find the above statment interesting.. due to,, i can fast for a long long time, with no issues.. no dizzy spells,, i chose (low glycimc foods).. BUT my sister who eats non stop sugars,, in ALL forms had an issue with the fasting part,, i liked your explination no matter where it came from,, it made some sence to me ,, so thanks for your input
Old 07-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
We have a thread here about blood sugar and fasting that I think you should read if you have a chance. Maybe PJ or Sophie can add some of their own experiences. The great news is that it is a simple fix, eat a small breakfast or early lunch. Have you recently had your blood sugar level tested after fasting?

Why? Because fasting can elevate cortisol levels. One of cortisol’s effects is that it raises blood sugar. So, in someone with blood sugar regulation issues, fasting can actually make them worse.

This doctor's blog is linked on the other thread...

Intermittent fasting, cortisol and blood sugar
i missed that thread.. lol
Old 07-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here you go Millergirl!

Hope you can find some answers!

Blood Sugar & JUDDD

Oh, for sure TishyLish68! I found out about sugar the hard way.
I even notice a difference in my DD if I have a glass of wine or a mixed drink the UD prior, I get a bit of a strange feeling about mid day of fasting. I also find that sugar particularly, will make the DD much more of a struggle hunger wise.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
This has happened to me. It is when my bloodsugar drops to very scary low levels. I am very irritated and I can't help but snap at everyone. If I eat carbs, I eat a good level of protein with them and my DD's are focused around carbs. HTH
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Are you sure the reaction is from fasting, and not from eating?

I ask because you describe it happening immediately after eating "a sandwich and some tater tots".

My heart races after eating carbs...white flour especially.

After doing JUDDD for a while, my heart-racing reaction to carbs diminished.
But if you have a reaction to certain foods (whether it's an allergy/sensitivity, or a blood sugar issue),
it could be stronger after you fast for a while, then eat a large meal quickly.

You say it happened twice; what was the other incident?

If this "anxiety" is hitting you out of the blue in the MIDDLE of your fast, it could be the cortisol, as Sunday mentioned.
But if it's hitting you right after you eat, I would try breaking your fast with something very low-carb next time, and see if there's a difference.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-25-2012 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: add info
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
This has happened to me a few times as well. I don't eat carbs, so I think it's from fasting and not eating. I just got a really fast heartbeat... and felt weird. Hard to describe. I just kind of brushed it under the carpet as I've been sick.
melisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
I find all this fascinating - lots of info I didn't know.

I, too, noticed what Jenny noticed and wondered about the timing of not having a reaction until after you had eaten. Hmmm...

For what it's worth, my first inclination was to blame the coffee. After all, caffeine is very powerful. If taken with foods, its effects might be rather tame, but then the same amount all by itself for a morning might cause a reaction.

Speeded heart rate and heightened anxiety are classic complaints of too much caffeine.

Feel better, millergirl!
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post
I find all this fascinating - lots of info I didn't know.

I, too, noticed what Jenny noticed and wondered about the timing of not having a reaction until after you had eaten. Hmmm...

For what it's worth, my first inclination was to blame the coffee. After all, caffeine is very powerful. If taken with foods, its effects might be rather tame, but then the same amount all by itself for a morning might cause a reaction.

Speeded heart rate and heightened anxiety are classic complaints of too much caffeine.

Feel better, millergirl!
Oh yes, I do have this feeling on too much caffeine! And the anxiety is classic example of fasting and adding caffeine. I do not like to drink coffee, if I have not had any food for a period of 15 hours or more. It is a tricky thing for sure.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you all for your thoughts! I will read the other thread.

Some replies to questions-

Tishy, the other time it happened was when I was straight LC, but had gone a long while without eating and had a workout in there too.

sunday, I will read that blog and thread link. I will read both. Thank you!

zipp, that may be it- very low blood sugar levels. The strange thing was that I had a higher carb day Thursday, but didnt get "hungry" Friday on my DD, just started to feel strange, fuzzy, headachy.

jenny, I am not sure, but I do know I eat high carb stuff on UDs, and have not had that reaction ever. I am not sure whether the reaction was coming, or if it was because of the food.

It's not from the caffeine- I barely have any reaction to caffeine at all.

Thank you thank you JUDDD buds! Off to do some reading in the blood sugar thread.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: RenoMom
Start Date: 4/29/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Are you sure the reaction is from fasting, and not from eating?

I ask because you describe it happening immediately after eating "a sandwich and some tater tots".

My heart races after eating carbs...white flour especially.

After doing JUDDD for a while, my heart-racing reaction to carbs diminished.
But if you have a reaction to certain foods (whether it's an allergy/sensitivity, or a blood sugar issue),
it could be stronger after you fast for a while, then eat a large meal quickly.

You say it happened twice; what was the other incident?

If this "anxiety" is hitting you out of the blue in the MIDDLE of your fast, it could be the cortisol, as Sunday mentioned.
But if it's hitting you right after you eat, I would try breaking your fast with something very low-carb next time, and see if there's a difference.
This is exactly what happens to me. Usually I jusyt ignore it, but if I break my fast with carbs this happens almost every time. I try to make my first meal a lite one and high in protein, eggs etc, and then I seem to do fine. This happens even when Im not fasting/dieting. If I eat carbs/sugar etc I feel this way.
RenoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
I have had the heart palpitations; but I don't do IF or really any fasting at all. I do have insulin and thyroid issues, though. For me it is usually caffeine or sugar that sets me off. Sometimes even tea with artificial sweetener can affect me; but I have only had one incident since I've been doing JUDDD the last few months. It was definitely sugar that time; in the form of way too many No Bake Cookies that I consumed one Sunday.
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoMom View Post
This is exactly what happens to me. Usually I jusyt ignore it, but if I break my fast with carbs this happens almost every time. I try to make my first meal a lite one and high in protein, eggs etc, and then I seem to do fine. This happens even when Im not fasting/dieting. If I eat carbs/sugar etc I feel this way.
Arlene, I have been missing you! I know you are busy with work, but just wanted to tell you.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
millergirl--

I don't mean this in any kind of "scolding" way, but I have read/been told many times that healthy people don't get "low blood sugar"...or they only get it very briefly.

It's most likely to occur to people who take insulin, which artificially lowers blood sugar.

The total amount of sugar, when it's at a normal level, in your ENTIRE blood supply is equal to 4g...that's 1 tsp of sugar.

Most people *should* be able to kick out a gram or two of glucose to bring levels back to normal.
Our liver & muscles can store about 300-500g of glucose (as glycogen), and can convert fat (and in dire circumstances, muscle) to glucose.

I think it's more likely for us, when we're fasting, to get dehydrated and/or low on electrolytes than on blood sugar.
Those deficiencies can cause irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure, headaches, grouchiness, etc etc as well.
Almost any food you reach for is likely to have sodium, potassium, or other nutrients besides glucose that might make you feel better.
It's really hard to be sure it's a blood sugar problem unless you monitor that closely.
And the fact that you continued to have symptoms for an hour after you ate suggests to me that it wasn't low blood sugar...mine goes up within 15 minutes of eating.

From WebMD:

Quote:
What causes hypoglycemia in people who don't have diabetes?

Ongoing problems with low blood sugar can be caused by:
  • Diseases of the liver, kidneys, or pancreas.
  • Metabolic problems.
  • Certain medicines.
  • Alcohol use.
  • Stomach surgery.

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-25-2012 at 05:15 PM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laranda
Stats: 185lbs 5'1/147/GOAL-110
WOE: Atkins/IF
Start Date: LC Since 09 JUDDD - 1/30/12
I get symptoms similar to yours if I haven't been drinking enough water. Food I can go without for long periods of time, but without water I get headache-y and heart palpitations...etc and I don't even think I'm thirsty because of the hunger pangs. This happens after coffee too because, you know, coffee is a diuretic. That's just me though, for all I know you're chugging a whole gallon of water.
laranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
millergirl--

I don't mean this in any kind of "scolding" way, but I have read/been told many times that healthy people don't get "low blood sugar"...or they only get it very briefly.

It's most likely to occur to people who take insulin, which artificially lowers blood sugar.

The total amount of sugar, when it's at a normal level, in your ENTIRE blood supply is equal to 4g...that's 1 tsp of sugar.

Most people *should* be able to kick out a gram or two of glucose to bring levels back to normal.
Our liver & muscles can store about 300-500g of glucose (as glycogen), and can convert fat (and in dire circumstances, muscle) to glucose.

I think it's more likely for us, when we're fasting, to get dehydrated and/or low on electrolytes than on blood sugar.
Those deficiencies can cause irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure, headaches, grouchiness, etc etc as well.
Almost any food you reach for is likely to have sodium, potassium, or other nutrients besides glucose that might make you feel better.
It's really hard to be sure it's a blood sugar problem unless you monitor that closely.
And the fact that you continued to have symptoms for an hour after you ate suggests to me that it wasn't low blood sugar...mine goes up within 15 minutes of eating.

From WebMD:
Thank you piratejenny. I totally agree. I don't know what it is- that's why I asked. It is a miserable feeling and I would like to avoid it at all costs. My working theory right now is to be much more cautious about what I eat when I have gone many hours without food.