Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 178/178/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start date: 11/17/2014
Losing my hair!!!

The one thing I noticed while on low carb for 3 months was my hair was growing so nicely, it had been thinning due probably to hormonal changes (perimenopause) pre Atkins. If I wasn't such a raving grumpus on low carb I would have stayed on it just due to my hair filling in (I was so excited to see all the little "baby hairs" growing in!). Lately my hair has been falling out at a rather alalrming rate, I know we are supposed to lose 100 hairs per day but my losses seem to be more than that, I have no more "baby hairs" sprouting at my hairline and part and it is noticably thinner on top of my head! I've always had annoyingly thick hair but this huge loss is really disturbing. I had stopped my myriad of vitamins last month (among them Biotin and B Complex) I should restart those, though my hair was thinning even while taking my vitamins (for over a year). I have been pretty stressed lately so that may also have something to do with it. I'm thinking of cutting out all wheat and ditching Diet Pepsi, it has no nutritional value and I drink way too much. *sigh*

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Stress, medicine, dietary changes - so many things effect your hair growth cycle. I'd def get back on a multi and biotin and see if that helps.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Stress, medicine, dietary changes - so many things effect your hair growth cycle. I'd def get back on a multi and biotin and see if that helps.
Multis always make my stomach sick, no idea why, every brand from Centrum to the cheapo WallyMart brands all make me feel like I'm going to throw up, wierd huh?.

The ones I take are:
C
B Complex
Biotin
Fish Oil
Evening Primrose Oil
E
I know I'm forgetting some...

I was taking D but I'm a sun lover so didn't feel I needed it.

I read that C, Biotin and protein are really good for hair growth trying to up my protein (more eggs). I really wish low carb didn't mess with my moods so bad.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
It could be hormonal as well (we're about the same age) :

" Accelerated hair loss and thinning hair is most common in women during menopause and perimenopause, due to declining estrogen levels. As estrogen levels fall, the resulting imbalance between estrogen and testosterone can cause thinning hair on certain areas of the head that are sensitive to androgens, commonly referred to as male pattern baldness. The same imbalance can also contribute to unwanted hair growth on the chin and face.

For similar reasons, thinning hair often accompanies polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). PCOS is characterized by high levels of circulating androgens, which can cause hair loss from the scalp, increased facial hair, acne, weight gain and decreased fertility. PCOS is most common in women with insulin resistance, caused by years of poor nutrition and consuming too many simple carbohydrates and sugars."

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Plus.. IMHO i would not rule out talking with your doc.. Some times hair loss i a symptom and you would need to get to the underlying reason as to why and not just stop the symptom.. i know that for thyroid it can be an indicator..
If you have already saw your Doc about this... then i am way off base offering that as an idea.. Best of luck hun.. i know i am a tad vain about my hair and if i was losing it..uggh i would freak
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
I definitely agree that vitamins are important. One of my sisters started losing her hair and her doctor recommended vitamins. It all grew back and her hair looks nice and thick now.

I hope you can find a multi that does not make you sick. I had that same problem. My DH thinks I'm goofy because I won't take vitamins that taste bad. He said you can't taste them because you swallow them so fast. I can taste them!

Finally found one I love and no one is going to talk me into changing. I don't think I'm allowed to tell you what it is because of LCF rules and it's not sold on Netrition.

Keep trying. And, don't take your multi on an empty stomach. Take it with milk and or a spoon or 2 of yogurt.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Very glad to see you are taking Evening Primrose Oil, as author Mary Shoman advocates its use for hair loss (whether due to thyroid or not - she happens to be a thyroid expert) and says she herself has had very good results. You don't say how much you are taking. I believe she suggests 500 mg. Alfalfa also is very good for hair and nail growth.

Frankly, "centrum" is a very low-potency and inexpensive vitamin, not much different, probably, than the "cheapo" discount store ones you mention. My advice would be to start a quality whole-food multi-vitamin, for nutrition as opposed to chemicals, which you can find at a good vitamin store or whole-foods grocery. Glance at (sorry, editing to take away this name after reading YamYam's post, but ask the salesperson which is the oldest, most popular whole-food brand of vitamin) for instance, but there are several good ones you can compare. I'd rather take half the dose of those, if they seemed expensive, than to keep shelling out money for cheap ones.

Since you know you might feel sick with a multi PILL, consider the various other types. I use capsules, and there are also liquids and gummies (gummies aren't just for kids any more). Also, take with food.

Hair loss is cyclical. Just like our darling dogs, at different times of the year we quite literally "shed" more, and it may not always make sense according to seasons or anything else. So there may be very little wrong - don't worry! Several times in my life I've panicked over the amount of hair in the drain only to have that change, say, 4 to 6 months later. Who knows.

Last edited by Whitlin'; 07-25-2012 at 07:45 AM..
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
This is can be a indicator of off balance thyroid. Have you had your labs done recently?
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I know it's been mentioned several times, but hair loss is one of the first/most noticeable signs of thyroid disease in a lot of people. I was diagnosed before I noticed the hair loss, but soon after it was coming out in clumps. Can't hurt to get your labs done, and ask for more than just the standard TSH. You can check out stopthethyroidmadness for information on the panel to request.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, but it's definitely something to consider.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
You should look into Diatomaceous Earth, there is a huge thread on it here in JUDDD.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
You should look into Diatomaceous Earth, there is a huge thread on it here in JUDDD.
Yes! And it is so goof for a variety of ailments! Cheap too!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
I agree about the thyroid check. Also, taking vitamins. I take gummy vitamins. They are yummy and don't make me nauseated like other vitamins. I just count the carbs in them cause I'm doing LC now. I also take gummy vit D

Any kind of diet change can cause some hair loss though. I think that LC must be what your body loves since you had hair growth and not loss. The mood problems you have probably have to do with your serotonin levels.

Oh, and going gluten free and even dairy free may help too

Last edited by Star73; 07-25-2012 at 10:38 AM..
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Frankly, "centrum" is a very low-potency and inexpensive vitamin, not much different, probably, than the "cheapo" discount store ones you mention. My advice would be to start a quality whole-food multi-vitamin...
Exactly what I was going to say!
If you had said, "I've tried everything from New Chapter to....", I wouldn't have said anything, but Centrum is NOT top-of-the-line!

There are some liquid multis and multi-shakes, too.

Grrrr....I can't remember the brand, but there's a very popular "hair skin & nails" supplement that my grandmother took for years and INSISTED upon having on hand. She never set foot in a health food store, but my uncle would bring her bottles of it every time she ran low. I'll try to find it for you. They also made a shake, for people who disliked pills.

My hair's been falling out a lot lately too, even though I'm taking DE and biotin and EPO.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had a ton of labs done at the beginning of the year, they specifically checked for thyroid issues, hashimotos (both of my sisters have it), diabetes etc....everything came back normal. I'm fairly sure it's just the grand old perimenopause rearing her dirty little head (I've been having hotflashes on and off for about 2 years now), my "lady time" is still pretty regular. I'm sure the stress of life isn't helping the issue either, though Zach has been seizure free for 2 days now and my husband is off the danger list. YEAH!

I'm going to up my protein, get rid of wheat and sugar except for the occasional treat, start back up on my suppliments, and start walking or riding my exercise bike, I bet a bit of exercise will help a lot (with stress anyways).
Old 07-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Exactly what I was going to say!
If you had said, "I've tried everything from New Chapter to....", I wouldn't have said anything, but Centrum is NOT top-of-the-line!

There are some liquid multis and multi-shakes, too.

Grrrr....I can't remember the brand, but there's a very popular "hair skin & nails" supplement that my grandmother took for years and INSISTED upon having on hand. She never set foot in a health food store, but my uncle would bring her bottles of it every time she ran low. I'll try to find it for you. They also made a shake, for people who disliked pills.

My hair's been falling out a lot lately too, even though I'm taking DE and biotin and EPO.
I take a skin, hair and nails suppliment (forgot it on my list) it's Nature Valley if memory serves, I did see improvement in my fingernails when I was taking it. They got super duper strong while I was on Atkins!

Centrum isn't the top of the line by any stretch, cheapo stuff marketed to the hilt, but being on a budget I can't afford the really good stuff, (I should start a savings envelope earmarked for suppliments, I would be willing to save for higher quality stuff). I went into GNC a few weeks back and was like a kid in a candy store till I did the math in my head and realized I would have spent over $200 on suppliments! That is my grocery money for the week.

I "taste" some of my suppliments on the way down too, Vitamin C and the B Complex are HORRIBLE tasting!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I take a skin, hair and nails suppliment (forgot it on my list) it's Nature Valley if memory serves, I did see improvement in my fingernails when I was taking it. They got super duper strong while I was on Atkins!

Centrum isn't the top of the line by any stretch, cheapo stuff marketed to the hilt, but being on a budget I can't afford the really good stuff, (I should start a savings envelope earmarked for suppliments, I would be willing to save for higher quality stuff). I went into GNC a few weeks back and was like a kid in a candy store till I did the math in my head and realized I would have spent over $200 on suppliments! That is my grocery money for the week.

I "taste" some of my suppliments on the way down too, Vitamin C and the B Complex are HORRIBLE tasting!!!
Hey Becky, I was wondering how you ate on LC (since people have different ways of doing it) and how your diet has changed since you started JUDDDg.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Hey Becky, I was wondering how you ate on LC (since people have different ways of doing it) and how your diet has changed since you started JUDDDg.
When I am on Atkins I do it pretty much by the book, I never eat "frankenfood" or shakes or anything like that. I have issue with such a small amount of veggies so my "cheats" are on veggies (an extra cup or two every once in awhile). I would typically have eggs and or bacon for breakfast, salad in one form or another (taco, veggie, BLT) for lunch or supper. I sure did like my pepperoni and cheese though, maybe that's why I never lost weight. I wish I could figure out the grumpiness, seriously I'm a bear on Atkins! Working with low glycemic right now, Atkins with more veggies and fruit . trying to eat cleaner....

Since starting JUDDD it has been a big carb fest which was okay at first (I dropped 20 lbs in 2 months!) vacations were too big on the food temptations and I gained back 8lbs, my motivation is in the potty right now!

I blew the heck out of my eating today, I've been eating everything in sight!!! I HAVE to find the motivation again.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I saw that thread, knew DE was used for killing fleas (and knew how it worked) and immediately dismissed the whole thread thinking WHO in their right mind would EAT stuff that effectively cuts up fleas ????? Well, I have been reading the thread with great interest now and really feel like I'm ready to order some and give it a shot, can't hurt right?
Old 07-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I saw that thread, knew DE was used for killing fleas (and knew how it worked) and immediately dismissed the whole thread thinking WHO in their right mind would EAT stuff that effectively cuts up fleas ????? Well, I have been reading the thread with great interest now and really feel like I'm ready to order some and give it a shot, can't hurt right?
That's what I was thinking, too. They sell that stuff at the farm store here and people use it as a pesticide! Interesting. I take Biotin and Super B Complex. But, I haven't ever tried the Evening Primrose Oil. I will have to try that one. I'm probably being overly cautious but the DE stuff sound scary to me. I will have to read the thread and try to keep an open mind about it.
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiiifit View Post
That's what I was thinking, too. They sell that stuff at the farm store here and people use it as a pesticide! Interesting. I take Biotin and Super B Complex. But, I haven't ever tried the Evening Primrose Oil. I will have to try that one. I'm probably being overly cautious but the DE stuff sound scary to me. I will have to read the thread and try to keep an open mind about it.
It really gave me the skeevies at first but in doing reading on the net there are tons of very happy people out there "eating their dirt". I'm about halfway through the huge thread and the discussion has migrated to coconut oil (which I already take) but still good reading.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
The farm store DE is probably Red Lake Earth which is not what you probably want. It is dark brown and is DE and Calcium Bentonite. Now it really looks like dirt. I buy it for my chickens to dust bath in so they don't get mites. It is food grade but DE that most are drinking (like me) is off white.
It isn't a pesticide like we think of pesticides. it isn't poison. it is a contact killer. Damages the exoskeleton of the insect so they die.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
In addition to the Biotin, Zinc/Magnesium/Selenium combo is supposed to really help. I've had hairloss over the years due to medication. I got off a few meds, but just since I've been on JUDDD it has been getting thicker or at least not falling out!!!
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry if I was tactless about the vitamins & your budget. Of course Centrum is a lot more affordable.
But I've worked at several health food stores and a lot of people came in thinking Centrum *is* top of the line...from your wording I took it to mean you had tried everything from the best to the worst...and just wanted to let you know there are more options!

If vitamins taste bad to you and you can't afford the more natural ones, I would recommend spending that money on "super foods" instead. Nutritional yeast, bee pollen, spirulina, chia seeds, berries, kale...things like that.

I love trying different supplements, and some of them have definitely helped me, but even when I can't afford anything else, I still try to take my probiotics & magnesium. They are the last things I'd give up!

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-25-2012 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: *spirulina
Old 07-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I take a skin, hair and nails suppliment (forgot it on my list) it's Nature Valley if memory serves
I still can't remember what brand I'm thinking of. I can *see* the label in my mind!!!
I've Googled & Googled, but there are way too many brands with the word "Nature" or "Natural":
Nature's Way/Sunshine/Bounty/Best/Paradise/Plus

OH YES THAT'S IT!!! NATURE'S PLUS!!! NATURE'S PLUS ULTRA HAIR!!!

That's why I couldn't find it; I was looking for "Hair, Skin & Nails", not "Ultra Hair".

I swear, my grandmother LOVED this stuff...her hair was very thin for years (you could see her scalp), then she started taking this and got *addicted* to it...lol...her hair got much thicker, and she said it would start falling out again if she missed a couple days of her "hair vitamins".

And PS: yes, they still make the Ultra Hair "shake".

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-25-2012 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: PS
Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Sorry if I was tactless about the vitamins & your budget. Of course Centrum is a lot more affordable.
But I've worked at several health food stores and a lot of people came in thinking Centrum *is* top of the line...from your wording I took it to mean you had tried everything from the best to the worst...and just wanted to let you know there are more options!

If vitamins taste bad to you and you can't afford the more natural ones, I would recommend spending that money on "super foods" instead. Nutritional yeast, bee pollen, spirulina, chia seeds, berries, kale...things like that.

I love trying different supplements, and some of them have definitely helped me, but even when I can't afford anything else, I still try to take my probiotics & magnesium. They are the last things I'd give up!
No no no...you were perfectly fine, Centrum is crap, I fully agree, and yeah, I read my post again and it did sound like I had tried everything. I wish I could have tried some of the top of the line stuff, I really am going to save up and get some of the better suppliments, I have read good things about bee pollen.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Yup...I work in geriatrics.....the ladies with thinning hair BY FAR outnumber those with full lovely locks.

Being a senior citizen myself...I fall into the majority group!!! ...so I have decided to count the good things about thinning hair....
1) it doesn't take as long to blow dry it...
2) long heavy hair no longer gives me a headache...
3) it saves money on shampoo and conditioner
4) not as much greasy hair...(oil production also declines)
5) it is just plain one less thing to worry about...!

Gotta look for the bright side of life......
Galveston Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Sorry to hear that...if you are coming off of LC, make sure you are still eating enough protein.

If you are logging your foods somewhere like caloriecount.com or ****** you might be able to see if you have any nutrient deficiencies.

I have had the same problem recently but in my case I think it is calcium deficiency (which happens to me sometimes because I can't have most dairy products).
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: Which time?
I used to have thick hair and over the years it's gotten thinner. Took Biotin and Magnesium and nada, zip, nuttin' honey. The only thing that kinda helps is getting it highlighted to give it some texture and depth, and ditching shampoo. I have naturally wavy/curly hair and shampoo is death to that kind of hair.

PJ, I googled and found your grandmother's stuff - it comes in a box and has a blonde chick on it - is that the one? I posted on the DE thread and hope some of the suggestions will be carried at either Netrition or our local VS store.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
I used to have thick hair and over the years it's gotten thinner. Took Biotin and Magnesium and nada, zip, nuttin' honey. The only thing that kinda helps is getting it highlighted to give it some texture and depth, and ditching shampoo. I have naturally wavy/curly hair and shampoo is death to that kind of hair.

PJ, I googled and found your grandmother's stuff - it comes in a box and has a blonde chick on it - is that the one? I posted on the DE thread and hope some of the suggestions will be carried at either Netrition or our local VS store.
I went through a month long experiment with no shampoo. I used 1/4 cup baking soda mixed with 1/2 cup water and messaged through my hair then rinced with water and followed with a rince of 1T Apple Cider Vinegar (the good stuff with the "mother" Braggs I think) mixed with 1 cup water then rinced again. The first few times I loved how my hair felt afterwards, then the greasies showed up with a vengence! My hair was beyond oily and just felt GROSS for the next 3 weeks before I finally gave up. I now alternate between washing normally with SLS free shampoo and conditioning with silicone free conditioner one day and using only conditioner the next day (though I skip shampooing every other day). My hair is normally oily but the no pooing really made it disgusting.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Quote:
Yup...I work in geriatrics.....the ladies with thinning hair BY FAR outnumber those with full lovely locks.

Being a senior citizen myself...I fall into the majority group!!! ...so I have decided to count the good things about thinning hair....
1) it doesn't take as long to blow dry it...
2) long heavy hair no longer gives me a headache...
3) it saves money on shampoo and conditioner
4) not as much greasy hair...(oil production also declines)
5) it is just plain one less thing to worry about...!

Gotta look for the bright side of life......
Galveston Gal, I think that's brilliant!
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote