Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MadCommodore
WOE: Atkins
Would fasting 2 or 3 times a week kill benefits of JUDDD?

JUDDD JUDDD BLUDDY JUDDD is all I've been hearing lately, so I finally looked it up today. OK technically when your body is in starvation mode your body hoards calories like a squirrel and his stash of peanuts but anyway the SIRT1 and other genes have a specific benefit to your body (nothing to do with good health either) which for non religious people worldwide is a good thing

OK so why be interested in this diet if so far it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence based on the excessive claims quoted on dodgy websites? Well for a start a very prominent scientist who is researching the aging process has been fasting for 3/7 days per week for a decade (the SIRT1 and other gene activation thing) and he is a well known scientist in the field aaaaand looks and moves well for his age LOL).

Secondly.....I've been on Low Carb JUDDD many times without knowing it. Due to some pretty scary initial deterioration of my retina (well the blood vessels in it) from Diabetes type 2 I would literally eat nothing the day a part of my eyesight went missing. Sometimes I would fast for 2 days (some people say best to do it for 36 hours = 2 days if you discount second nights sleep) and most of the time it would actually help even though retinopathy is generally irreversible damage to the blood vessels in the retina.

So now I read all this 500 calories on down days and regular medical calorie requirement for your height/age on up days. But what I want to know is that as sometimes I eat nothing for a day anyway would eating nothing on a down day break the cycle or go against the principles of the JUDDD diet?

Also IMO you should really not be eating too many carbs anyway, it's all that 80s crap drummed into your head, better to have good salads and real meat (not burgers/sausage crap) for dinners etc and limit yourself to 50-100g carbs per day at most. Carbs = diabetes my friends FACT.

(Fasting gets easy with time, just stock up on vids/music/games and do a creative job like web design)

PS Glaxo are sitting on the formula for the real pill that activates SIR type genes positively for over half a decade now after paying 240million for the formula from a scientist (who has been taking it for 3 decades now!) What B*STARDS eh
MadCommodore is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: buttah
Stats: 189/137/136-140
WOE: peri-meno "corrective" R4
Start Date: LowCal/Dukan/JUDD 2/12-8/12, then 3 rounds rxHCG
I just finished reading Dr. Johnson's book, and actually the underlying studies for this diet are based on total fasting every other day, not eating restricted calories every other day. The restricted calories are a way to sort of make the whole thing more "humane," but still reap the benefits.

So, my only newly informed answer would be that, no, fasting does not kill the benefits.
buttah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Dr. J states in his book that total fasting every other day would reap the most benefits but he did not believe that many people would actually do that so he devised the low calorie DD's versus zero calorie DD's. I have done both ways and can't really tell a difference in the rate of weightloss.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
I have done both....low cal DDs and fasting DDs (for 3 weeks straight) and saw little if any difference.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyL View Post
I have done both....low cal DDs and fasting DDs (for 3 weeks straight) and saw little if any difference.
Kathy,
Did you lose all of your weight on JUDDD or just some of it? I just wondered since we have very close to the same stats to begin with.

Thanks!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCommodore View Post

3/7 days per week for a decade (the SIRT1 and other gene activation thing) and he is a well known scientist in the field aaaaand looks and moves well for his age LOL).

Secondly.....I've been on Low Carb JUDDD many times without knowing it. Due to some pretty scary initial deterioration of my retina (well the blood vessels in it) from Diabetes type 2 I would literally eat nothing the day a part of my eyesight went missing. Sometimes I would fast for 2 days (some people say best to do it for 36 hours = 2 days if you discount second nights sleep) and most of the time it would actually help even though retinopathy is generally irreversible damage to the blood vessels in the retina.

So now I read all this 500 calories on down days and regular medical calorie requirement for your height/age on up days. But what I want to know is that as sometimes I eat nothing for a day anyway would eating nothing on a down day break the cycle or go against the principles of the JUDDD diet?

Also IMO you should really not be eating too many carbs anyway, it's all that 80s crap drummed into your head, better to have good salads and real meat (not burgers/sausage crap) for dinners etc and limit yourself to 50-100g carbs per day at most. Carbs = diabetes my friends FACT.

(Fasting gets easy with time, just stock up on vids/music/games and do a creative job like web design)

PS Glaxo are sitting on the formula for the real pill that activates SIR type genes positively for over half a decade now after paying 240million for the formula from a scientist (who has been taking it for 3 decades now!) What B*STARDS eh

Hello Mad!

Yes, I have been reading up on the supplement that activates the Sirt-1 and recently purchased it after a salesperson insisted that it would be more beneficial than resveratrol at my local Natural Grocer.

If you would like, google, "Pterostilbene and Gene Expression: The Key to Longer Life", you can read up on the latest science behind this supplement which is called the "other" Resveratrol. It mimics intermittent fasting.

I believe that fasting every other day is eventually going to be "one upped" with the help of supplements for people who for whatever reason, job, sports, or athletics will not be able to restrict calories.

Pterostilbene’s Healthy Potential
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 07-24-2012 at 08:20 PM..
Old 07-25-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
Sunday.....I lost all but the last 10 lbs of my weight before JUDDD. However, I was frequently doing IF without realizing it....just didn't know the 'proper' way to do it. LOL
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyL View Post
Sunday.....I lost all but the last 10 lbs of my weight before JUDDD. However, I was frequently doing IF without realizing it....just didn't know the 'proper' way to do it. LOL
Congrats on your success!
I wish so much that I had discovered JUDDD before I needed it. I think it is the least painful of any WOE, that I have ever known. I am 5'4" and active, run/walk 4 miles daily plus rebound and kettlebells. Even with all of my activity, I need to keep my cals much lower than what is suggested.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Yes, total fasting is fine if you prefer it, lots of folks here have tried it and some have even stuck with it. It is a matter of choice.

And what you eat while JUDDDing, again the choice is yours. If you find one way suits you better or that you believe is the healthier way, go for it.

And yes there is a lot of good evidence to there about intermittent fasting to a greater or lesser degree. Things have moved forward in the years since Dr J wrote his book.

And Commodore.... there are ladies present!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Welcome Commodore! Fast or not, your choice. Some find that total fasts put their bodies too deep into the stress response to recover fully on the UD (I'm one of them--I lose better with 500 cal dd's than lower).

I stick with a paleo woe and my carbs tend to fall within the 50-100g range. Except for special occasions when I indulge a little. But I don't think I really ever get much above 150, even on indulgence days. I have blood sugar issues too (not diabetic, but could surely end up that way if I'm not careful.

Interesting to hear about the eye issues getting better with fasting. Maybe the sirt's doing some clean up work?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Hello Mad!

Yes, I have been reading up on the supplement that activates the Sirt-1 and recently purchased it after a salesperson insisted that it would be more beneficial than resveratrol at my local Natural Grocer.

If you would like, google, "Pterostilbene and Gene Expression: The Key to Longer Life", you can read up on the latest science behind this supplement which is called the "other" Resveratrol. It mimics intermittent fasting.

I believe that fasting every other day is eventually going to be "one upped" with the help of supplements for people who for whatever reason, job, sports, or athletics will not be able to restrict calories.

Pterostilbene’s Healthy Potential
Interesting! I hadn't heard of this. Have you been taking it? Have you noticed a difference?
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi DD80,

Yes, I just started taking Jarrow brand pterostilbene sirtuin activator a couple of weeks ago!
I had previously been taking Resveratrol on DD just for the fasting boost and recently ran out and noticed that I was not feeling all that energetic & struggling a bit, so I stopped at Natural Grocers. (To be honest, I was going to drop the resveratrol simply because I don't like taking supplements period.) While looking through the Resveratrol, the asst. mgr. walked by and asked if I was taking the Res for any special reason. I then told her about JUDDD and she said, well if you are fasting, you may have heard of pterostilbene? I really didn't know about it? She said that it is similar to Resv in that it mimics fasting and turns on the Sirt-1 gene.

The main difference that I notice is that I am literally not hungry whatsoever on DD and have to push it sometimes on UD to get my cals in. For this reason alone, it is worth taking! The Jarrow brand was only $17. It is cheap enough and supposed to do exactly the same as resveratrol only without all of the resv side effects. I am fascinated at the studies on it and a side note...blueberries are my one and only "must eat" fruit. I can't get enough of fresh blueberries.

Did you read the study that I referenced above? It is being researched because they have found it to have lots of benefits besides assisting in fasting, such as lowering cholesterol, breast cancer fighting, anti-aging, and memory boost.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: flyer
Stats: 130/130/117(?)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 25 July 2012
instead of taking a supplement, do you know how many blueberries (and grapes?) you would have to take to get an appreciable dose of pterostilbene?
thank you!
flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think you would have to eat a lot. Like 1,000,000.

And I am one girl who could probably eat that many. It is not expensive though or rather not as expensive as Resveratrol.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #15

Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I found a site that mentioned 5 cups of blueberries would be the equivalent of one capsule.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Kissa. I assume most of us wouldn't want the 406 cal it would take to eat 5 cups. So, one capsule would be better for weight loss.

However, I think even eating one cup of blueberries would be helpful in brain boosting?
Old 07-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: flyer
Stats: 130/130/117(?)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 25 July 2012
Ok thanks!
flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:25 AM   #18