Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
How to keep the WL urgency??

As anyone can see by my stats I have not reached goal yet. This is such an enjoyable WOE and I have become great at maintaining, though maintaining has not been my intention.

One author of WL books says to reach goal we must beware of becoming weary and self-satisfied. I am not weary of this WOE. However, I'm afraid I might be guilty of temporary self-satisfaction.

My question for anyone who might be inclined to read this and comment are:

1. Should I take a temporary break and JUDD at maintenance levels and enjoy the 42 pound loss for a month or so? I ask this because there are more and more days where I feel stressed out because, while my intention is to eat at WLM levels of 20% (on DDs), about half the time I eat at 35 or 45% and sometimes go over by 100 or even 200 on UDs. Not always, but sometimes. Maybe I do it because I know I can get away with it and stay the same weight.

2. If I take a maintenance break am I messing up my efforts to ever reach goal?

3. Is there danger of more self-satisfaction and that I'll end up at this weight forever?

4. How can I get the WL urgency back?

Looking back in my journal, I can see that beginning in August last year, I started losing weight rapidly. Obviously, I felt an urgency to get weight off my tired, unhappy body. Sometimes I look at those daily weigh in numbers and think, "You know, I could do that right now if I set my mind to it. I could lose 5 pounds this week if I really, really wanted to."

The question is, why don't I WANT to?? Have I stopped wanting to because I just CANNOT seem to do it right now? Or is the reason I cannot do it right now because I just really don't WANT to do it right now?

I really admire people who only have one or two more pounds to go, but write posts just as passionate as those who have many more to lose. For those people, how do you keep that passion to lose?

How can I get my urgency back?

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Hi YamYAM~ I think just like Keirsmom did, you need a mental break,, and if that means eating at maintaince levels then thats a good thing.. Tell me this.. When you look at that body of yours.. do you like what you see? or is the number on your scale what is really the thing you desire the most? I mean.. come on now girl .. i saw those leggs of yours in that goal dress and you are rocking your body~ Let your body tell you what to do next.. (IMHO) You are beautifull and thin already.. but what does your minds eye see? That i think is the real question here... Do you love who you see in the mirror? Just trying to help you decide what YOU need to do next is all ,, I love you YAMYAM
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Ahh, you guys are great.
Yam, why do you want urgency? Just curious. If where you're at is fun, and you're feeling great, and enjoying the process, whassup? If you really want to see a number, that urgency will build in you and carry you toward it at some point.
I love the line from Corinna, Corinna that goes like this: Honey, there is no there, there.
As far as I can tell, this trip never ends. So my hope is that we can make it joyous more than urgent. Sometimes joy is urgent, and sometimes she meanders.
Just my two cents. You look fantastic, you sound fantastic, and I for one hope you're here for the next 75 years.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Ahh, you guys are great.
Yam, why do you want urgency? Just curious. If where you're at is fun, and you're feeling great, and enjoying the process, whassup? If you really want to see a number, that urgency will build in you and carry you toward it at some point.
I love the line from Corinna, Corinna that goes like this: Honey, there is no there, there.
As far as I can tell, this trip never ends. So my hope is that we can make it joyous more than urgent. Sometimes joy is urgent, and sometimes she meanders.
Just my two cents. You look fantastic, you sound fantastic, and I for one hope you're here for the next 75 years.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Hi YamYAM~ I think just like Keirsmom did, you need a mental break,, and if that means eating at maintaince levels then thats a good thing.. Tell me this.. When you look at that body of yours.. do you like what you see? or is the number on your scale what is really the thing you desire the most? I mean.. come on now girl .. i saw those leggs of yours in that goal dress and you are rocking your body~ Let your body tell you what to do next.. (IMHO) You are beautifull and thin already.. but what does your minds eye see? That i think is the real question here... Do you love who you see in the mirror? Just trying to help you decide what YOU need to do next is all ,, I love you YAMYAM
Kimberly: I love this post and I love you!

The answer to the first two questions is "Yes!" Both. I really do want to see lower numbers on the scale. I do!!!! However, I actually like seeing myself in pictures now and it's been a long time since I have felt that way.

Reasons for being self-satisfied:

1. I feel lighter on my feet and more energetic. This was a huge goal, probably my number one goal for wanting to lose weight.

2. I've been getting compliments from people. One friend I had not seen in a while said, "Look at you! You are soooooo skinny!" She called me "skinny". That has to be a fib. But, probably compared to what I looked like months ago... well, you know. It was not pretty.

3. I like how my current clothes fit. Never did I think I would be able to fit into a size 12 again. Let alone a size 10 every now and then depending on brand and style. Could be deluding myself here because I know a size 10 these days is not what it used to be years ago.

4. Even my 12 and 13 year old grand daughters have said, "Gramma Yam-Yam! You have lost so much weight and you look really, really good!" Bless their hearts! (DD told me my 3 year old grandson calls his other Grandma "big-BIG grandma" and calls me "tee-tee Gramma" which in his vocabulary tee-tee means tiny. So, when the phone rings and his mom says "It's gramma" he always asks is it big BIG Gramma or is it tee-tee Grandma??

5. About the mirror. I keep my tape measure in a drawer right by my full length mirror. Every couple of days I look at myself buck nekkid. And, I measure and I'm liking what I see. Although I would like it even more if more inches were gone. But, I don't want to suffer too much or stress out too much.

Maybe if I relax and rotate like Cindy says, I will rejoice and reduce. Duh. Sounds easy. Why doesn't it seem easy right now?

Kimberly, you are the tall thin one with great legs! I've seen your pictures! You look awesome and if anyone should be happy looking in the mirror right now, it's YOU!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I'm doing a flyby posting here, but just wanted to tell you the one single thing that kept me motivated to lose weight above everything else when I need to be goaded, and that was, and still is...

going into the nice department stores and pulling lovely clothing pieces off the racks and seeing what cute little sizes I couldn't fit into yet. Looking at all the displays and imagining what I'd look like wearing clothing like that.. at that size. Or even remotely close to that size. Or even.. slightly slim.

In fact, just talking about it makes me want to lose a few more pounds! I'm serious. More than how I looked to myself in the bathroom mirror before I hopped in the shower, more than how great my DH said I looked to him, more than any compliments from friends, was that desire to wear those lovely clothes in the smaller sizes.

Lordy! This does really make me want to shed a few...
Old 07-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Ahh, you guys are great.
JoyJoy: Wowzers! I'm blown away by the deep wisdom of my JUDD BUDDs!

I guess my self-doubts right now are telling me that the reason I am maintaining right now instead of losing is that I don't feel that urgency I had in the beginning. When I started, I got that first, decisive weight loss. It was a whoosh that made me feel empowered and kept me going. Seems it all came from the feeling of "I've got to do this and I've got to do it NOW!"

My mentality has totally changed to "this is not a race."

I love your idea of making this journey more joyous than urgent. That may just be the secret to keeping weight off once we lose, don't you think?

"Honey there is no there, there" really resonated with me!

Searching for meandering joy now....

You are awesome!
Old 07-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

BTW: Kimberly and JoyJoy: Thanks for complimenting me. You really made my day!
Old 07-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
(((hugs))) YY. To me, it sounds as if mentally you need a break, and need someone to give you permission to take on.

So, here, you have permission to take a break from WLM, maintain for a bit, and then when you are refreshed, get back to it.

I think you don't have the urgency because you ARE happy with where you are, and you are a bit weary of the journey. You've been pretty hard at it for a year now. Resting in the success you've had does not mean you've given up on achieving the ultimate goal, it just means you've gotten off the highway to take a few back roads, enjoy the scenery and refresh your mind. You can find an entrance ramp back on at any time.

I think that's one of the 10,537 great things about JUDDD. It isn't a diet you go 'on' and 'off' of. There are simply different levels of the same thing.

Test out maintenance for a bit (as you've likely read, it isn't always as easy as it seems it should be). Maybe having a trial run at it, then getting back to wlm will make maintenance easier when you get to your final goal.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I'm doing a flyby posting here, but just wanted to tell you the one single thing that kept me motivated to lose weight above everything else when I need to be goaded, and that was, and still is...

going into the nice department stores and pulling lovely clothing pieces off the racks and seeing what cute little sizes I couldn't fit into yet. Looking at all the displays and imagining what I'd look like wearing clothing like that.. at that size. Or even remotely close to that size. Or even.. slightly slim.

In fact, just talking about it makes me want to lose a few more pounds! I'm serious. More than how I looked to myself in the bathroom mirror before I hopped in the shower, more than how great my DH said I looked to him, more than any compliments from friends, was that desire to wear those lovely clothes in the smaller sizes.

Lordy! This does really make me want to shed a few...
Ahhhhh.....Pat: Now I know what I need. Skinny pants!!!! I need to take the advice about buying a pair of smaller pants, having them handy, and trying them on every day.

At some point when I was gaining weight, I decided to stop torturing myself and gave away all my size 10's and even the very few size 8's I had to make more room in my dresser drawers and closets for more comfortable, bigger sizes. Now I do not have anything around that is too small for me. Not that I know of, anyway.

I gave away all of my big, big size 18's 16's and 14's along this journey of shrinking and now all I own are clothes that fit comfortably and look good. Maybe that's why I'm maintaining instead of losing. There is no where to go but here. Hmmmmmmm food for thought.

You may be right, my friend. This could be something to try. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

aww sweetie.. i just call em like i see em~ I know how hard it is to "belive" when folks use words we have never heard before.. When i was told i was thin the first time is made me nervous.. i thought , wow,, why would they lye to me like that?? It was a mixed emotion kind of thing .. me.. thin?? Never! Oh wait,, maybe>??? ugh.. I would never lie to you or any one about how they look.. and i know how important it is to tell them the truth. and the truth hurts hun... your Rocking your body~ a lil envy over here.. you look healthy.. i think that can be one of the greatest compliments we can recieve also.. so heres to your health hun
Old 07-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
(((hugs))) YY. To me, it sounds as if mentally you need a break, and need someone to give you permission to take on.

So, here, you have permission to take a break from WLM, maintain for a bit, and then when you are refreshed, get back to it.

I think you don't have the urgency because you ARE happy with where you are, and you are a bit weary of the journey. You've been pretty hard at it for a year now. Resting in the success you've had does not mean you've given up on achieving the ultimate goal, it just means you've gotten off the highway to take a few back roads, enjoy the scenery and refresh your mind. You can find an entrance ramp back on at any time.

I think that's one of the 10,537 great things about JUDDD. It isn't a diet you go 'on' and 'off' of. There are simply different levels of the same thing.

Test out maintenance for a bit (as you've likely read, it isn't always as easy as it seems it should be). Maybe having a trial run at it, then getting back to wlm will make maintenance easier when you get to your final goal.
Tina: Wow, I never thought of it that way. Thank you for giving me permission to do something that could be, mentally, very healthy for me for a while. It could be a learning time as well. I do need to learn the ropes of maintaining on purpose.

Gosh, I've been plugging along and didn't stop to think in terms of this being a whole year. When I first started, I told myself that if I lost 45 pounds in a year I would just be so happy and then would re-evaluate and decide how far I wanted to go from there.

I'm actually pretty close to that goal of 45 pounds. And, let's see.... I only "dieted" half the time... Truthfully, I went on so many vacations and took two months off for family losses. And, seriously, am so thankful I did not gain back all I had lost in the midst of that grief and family time.

So, Tina, I could say I have only been dieting less than 6 months! Losing 42 pounds in less than 6 months of dieting is nothing to sneeze at!

Your "permission slip" is so freeing. You gave me permission to pat myself on the back!

I have not read the maintenance threads. I thought if I did I would be tempted to stop losing or that I would be in denial even reading there. Seems my body/mind might have ideas of it's own right now.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Here's the thread that allowed me to decide to be more gentle with myself, and take a little break to regroup:

Why your body wants a break from WL

Does this sound/look familiar?

I absolutely think there's nothing kinder you can do for yourself than to take a little break if you're feeling overwhelmed, or have lost the sense of urgency. It did me a world of good, and doesn't seem to have derailed me or made it more difficult to return to WLM. As a matter of fact, the last few weeks (though I'm not losing at lightning fast speeds), I've just naturally lowered my calories again to regular WLM calories, rather than the higher pre-maintenance levels. It's what my body wanted.

Perhaps a little break is what YOUR body wants.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
May 2014: Still maintaining; taking a stab at HDE/IE
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Kimberly: Wonderful! Thank you! And, here's to your health, too! Let's clink out glasses of iced lemon water! This is a DD for me. I was gonna go work out at the gym, but I'm glad I decided to just have a peaceful, happy time here with my Judd Budds. You mean the world to me. Oh, and thank you so much for the whole thing about people lying. I'm very suspicious about that whole thing because people want to be helpful and kind. I know there were people who told me I looked fine and did not need to lose weight when I was seriously fat (DH being one of them! With good intentions I'm sure, but he was either blind or fibbing or just didn't want to fess up to the fact that he needed to lose some as well!)

Anyway, that didn't do me any good. So, my dear, dear cyber friend, I'm not lying to you either. You look awesomely awesome!

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 07-23-2012 at 02:48 PM..
Old 07-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Here's the thread that allowed me to decide to be more gentle with myself, and take a little break to regroup:

Why your body wants a break from WL

Does this sound/look familiar?

I absolutely think there's nothing kinder you can do for yourself than to take a little break if you're feeling overwhelmed, or have lost the sense of urgency. It did me a world of good, and doesn't seem to have derailed me or made it more difficult to return to WLM. As a matter of fact, the last few weeks (though I'm not losing at lightning fast speeds), I've just naturally lowered my calories again to regular WLM calories, rather than the higher pre-maintenance levels. It's what my body wanted.

Perhaps a little break is what YOUR body wants.
Beautiful, tall, thin Dawn with the gorgeous new Avatar!!!!!

I think I better go back and read that thread! I did not know it was the one that allowed you to "be more gentle with myself, take a break and regroup." I followed you on the daily weigh in thread and couldn't believe that you kept dropping even deliberately allowing yourself to maintain. It made me feel wonderful and encouraged to see that.

You sound so in tune with your body. I want to feel that way.

Thank you for encouraging me to be kind to myself. It seems that I have fallen, over the years, into thinking that I need to beat myself up to force progress. I like your kinder, gentler approach much better.

A week from Friday could be a really good time to start sticking my toes into the "Maintenance for a time" waters. Two of my sisters are flying out to California from Pennsylvania. We are going to have our first ever "Sistas/girls hang out week" at a beautiful time share near San Diego. I cannot wait and definitely don't want to be worrying about trying to lose weight while I have time to spend with them.

I've lost too many siblings recently to illness or death and this has to be a very special, loving, fun, crazy week. I'll have a big kitchen for cooking when I want to and a nice grocery store not far away to stock up on food (and wine )to keep me on the maintenance track.

Thanks for your great example and fantastic advice.

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 07-23-2012 at 03:09 PM..
Old 07-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
Great advice - very profound thoughts everyone.

Here's THE answer to keeping urgency about weight loss or exercise.

Are you ready? (drumroll)

Dressing rooms.

If you want to be sure to get your urgency back, you just visit one every once in a while with a few things you thought you'd buy. TaDa!

Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post

Dressing rooms.

If you want to be sure to get your urgency back, you just visit one every once in a while with a few things you thought you'd buy. TaDa!

truth be told~
Old 07-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Dawn beat me to it! Yes, that is a great read and I went into maintenance in May, so that I could enjoy my days off.... and while doing maintenance numbers lost a bit.

YamYam, You have given all of the JUDDD Budds great advice many times and I am going to agree with the gang here and proclaim.... You look awesome and you should be enjoying the ride!

This problem you mention, reminds me of the dilemma I am toying with right now and it is how Paleo do I go, while JUDDD??? And how much and what type of exercise is going to be best for me at 54 years young???? I may start a thread on this tomo. I really enjoy JUDDD and see this as a lifetime commitment, but as I read different health blogs... I sort of mentally debate how would I feel on this different WOE or would I find such & such to be an easier type of plan? Most of the time, they all fit into JUDDD or Fast 5 type of eating.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
You need motivation to lose weight. A new diet to try, an upcoming social occasion, a WL contest, a reward you promise yourself for reaching a certain goal, an outfit in a size smaller that is a little out of your normal budget...

If you aren't motivated, then maintaining is WINNING.

I find that my dieting willpower comes in spurts. I try to maintain in between and then look for inspiration. A new low calorie cookbook, watching diet vlogs on youtube, planning a trip to the beach...

I think losing in a staircase pattern is healthy. It gives your body a chance to like being at a certain weight. The longer you stick to a weight, the less likely you'll be to jump up over it after indulging. Or if you do, it's temporary and comes off easily.
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smi1es
Stats: GW 145
WOE: A little of everything
Start Date: January 1st, 2014
Quote:

Dressing rooms.

Hilarious!!!! I love it. So true!!!
Smi1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
As anyone can see by my stats I have not reached goal yet. This is such an enjoyable WOE and I have become great at maintaining, though maintaining has not been my intention.

One author of WL books says to reach goal we must beware of becoming weary and self-satisfied. I am not weary of this WOE. However, I'm afraid I might be guilty of temporary self-satisfaction.

My question for anyone who might be inclined to read this and comment are:

1. Should I take a temporary break and JUDD at maintenance levels and enjoy the 42 pound loss for a month or so? I ask this because there are more and more days where I feel stressed out because, while my intention is to eat at WLM levels of 20% (on DDs), about half the time I eat at 35 or 45% and sometimes go over by 100 or even 200 on UDs. Not always, but sometimes. Maybe I do it because I know I can get away with it and stay the same weight.

2. If I take a maintenance break am I messing up my efforts to ever reach goal?

3. Is there danger of more self-satisfaction and that I'll end up at this weight forever?

4. How can I get the WL urgency back?

Looking back in my journal, I can see that beginning in August last year, I started losing weight rapidly. Obviously, I felt an urgency to get weight off my tired, unhappy body. Sometimes I look at those daily weigh in numbers and think, "You know, I could do that right now if I set my mind to it. I could lose 5 pounds this week if I really, really wanted to."

The question is, why don't I WANT to?? Have I stopped wanting to because I just CANNOT seem to do it right now? Or is the reason I cannot do it right now because I just really don't WANT to do it right now?

I really admire people who only have one or two more pounds to go, but write posts just as passionate as those who have many more to lose. For those people, how do you keep that passion to lose?

How can I get my urgency back?
Just my take on it is that it sounds like you need this time to just relax and bask in the glow of all your WL success so far. It may even be your body and mind subconsciously asking for a little break from the work of weight loss. WL happens in steps. Even the grandest loser will still have some periods of no or very slow loss while the body regroups and adjusts in prep for more to come.

And you are so close to the original goal you set for yourself. I know you said you may want to lose more, but when you set that original goal you must have thought that was a place you'd feel good, look good, and would be a good resting point to re-evaluate if you wanted to lose more. So perhaps as you're closing in on that goal, your body/mind is doing just that.... Enjoying the loss so far and thinking over what else it wants to accomplish.

Something
will come along in your life to motivate you when the time is right. Whether it's the prospect of a beach vacation or a class reunion or a dress that's hanging in your closet just barely out of reach of your current size... For now though it sounds like you're just really enjoying it all and maybe you should do that until you feel differently (if you do at all).

No, you won't be messing up your quest for goal by taking a little break. As said, it may even be your body that's quietly encouraging this break so it can rest a bit.

Once you get so low on the scale, I think it becomes a matter of perspective anyway. If you love how you look and feel and you're healthy, you may not want to lose more, at least not much more. Or you may go down some more pounds and decide you'd like to lose even more. Some people have a certain bathing suit they want to fit into, a certain goal size or item of clothing, a certain number on the scale they want to see and no higher than that - ever. That's an individual thing and may even change over time. So again, I don't think you have to worry.

You've done a great job, Yam! We're behind you no matter what you do, or in what time-frame you decide to do it.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 07-23-2012 at 08:46 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:16 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post

Something
will come along in your life to motivate you when the time is right.
Yam-Yam, you have been through seven layers of he** in the last year. And, through it all you kept on track. Now, not just your body, but your soul seems to be telling you to take a break and give yourself some recovery time. They aren't ready to strive for new goals, they want time to adjust and cope.

So, do it. Give yourself what you need. Let go of the urgency and prove maintenance will work for you. Let those nomadic little fat cells have time to move around your body and set up house-keeping. Cry. Enjoy a great yet sad get-away with your sisters.

And when you are ready, in a few weeks or months, go to a very nice department store and select the same outfit in a 12, a 10, and an 8. Walk proudly into that dressing room, try each size on and do some serious comparing and thinking. Bring someone along and have them take pics of you wearing each size.

If you need it and when you are ready, the urgency will come back I bet.

Right now, take care of yourself.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:45 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/169/155 5' 8"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
I wondered why the urgency was necessary, too. Relax, breathe, take time to be present in your body as it is...embrace it!

Actually, I really needed to read this thread today, so a thousand thank yous for putting it out there. I'm not feeling much urgency either. I know I want to lose another 10-20lbs but honestly, I feel so good these days (in my mostly-size-12s-and-some-10s) that I can't force myself to rush. Pretty awesome when you think about it
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
My first thought when I saw this thread was, "if you figure it out, let me know!"

Honestly though, I'm in the same boat as you. I have been maintaining for a long time and I think it is a good thing because 1) I've never maintained for this long that I can remember (sad, huh?) so it's teaching me how to maintain and 2) I think my body needs to have a chance to stabilize and get used to this weight before I can lose again comfortably.

I hope you find your way Yam Yam! You are doing so well and are such an inspiration on this board!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Dressing rooms.

But what to do about the awful lighting in most dressing rooms?? Ugh! You are motivating me to take a trip to Macy's...Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Dawn beat me to it! Yes, that is a great read and I went into maintenance in May, so that I could enjoy my days off.... and while doing maintenance numbers lost a bit.

YamYam, You have given all of the JUDDD Budds great advice many times and I am going to agree with the gang here and proclaim.... You look awesome and you should be enjoying the ride!

This problem you mention, reminds me of the dilemma I am toying with right now and it is how Paleo do I go, while JUDDD??? And how much and what type of exercise is going to be best for me at 54 years young???? I may start a thread on this tomo. I really enjoy JUDDD and see this as a lifetime commitment, but as I read different health blogs... I sort of mentally debate how would I feel on this different WOE or would I find such & such to be an easier type of plan? Most of the time, they all fit into JUDDD or Fast 5 type of eating.
Congrats on dropping a few more pounds while in maintenance! That's so great and definitely encouraging to me. Thanks for always being there with good and kind words for me. You are the best!! I agree with you that JUDD fits well with any WOE and that's part of what everyone loves about it. I keep in the back of my mind that too many refined carbs and too much salt can mess me up because they might awaken cravings and also cause fluid retention. Other than that, I'm pretty relaxed about what I eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
You need motivation to lose weight. A new diet to try, an upcoming social occasion, a WL contest, a reward you promise yourself for reaching a certain goal, an outfit in a size smaller that is a little out of your normal budget...

If you aren't motivated, then maintaining is WINNING.

I find that my dieting willpower comes in spurts. I try to maintain in between and then look for inspiration. A new low calorie cookbook, watching diet vlogs on youtube, planning a trip to the beach...

I think losing in a staircase pattern is healthy. It gives your body a chance to like being at a certain weight. The longer you stick to a weight, the less likely you'll be to jump up over it after indulging. Or if you do, it's temporary and comes off easily.
Love this wisdom! Maintaining IS winning. Yes! This is the longest I've maintained a significant loss in 8 years! I cannot help myself from being happy about it. I so agree with that last paragraph. Every word of it. And what you said about looking for inspiration is why I instinctively came here to the JUDD BUDDs board. This inspiration is priceless. My upcoming trip with my sisters is turning out to be inspiration as well. I stuck to my DD yesterday because in the back of my mind I know I have that trip in a little over a week. I want the energy and ease to have lots of fun. And I want my clothes to fit or be baggy! ha!
Old 07-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I totally agree about the shopping trip! I love Chico's and J Jill and told myself that when I get close to goal, I will reward myself.
I still have a ways to go, but may just pick one goal size outfit that I must have when I arrive. However, should I play it safe to wait to purchase? Maybe just maybe... if I go ahead, that is the real incentive??? Right now, my goal is 2 szs down.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Just my take on it is that it sounds like you need this time to just relax and bask in the glow of all your WL success so far. It may even be your body and mind subconsciously asking for a little break from the work of weight loss. WL happens in steps. Even the grandest loser will still have some periods of no or very slow loss while the body regroups and adjusts in prep for more to come.

And you are so close to the original goal you set for yourself. I know you said you may want to lose more, but when you set that original goal you must have thought that was a place you'd feel good, look good, and would be a good resting point to re-evaluate if you wanted to lose more. So perhaps as you're closing in on that goal, your body/mind is doing just that.... Enjoying the loss so far and thinking over what else it wants to accomplish.

Something
will come along in your life to motivate you when the time is right. Whether it's the prospect of a beach vacation or a class reunion or a dress that's hanging in your closet just barely out of reach of your current size... For now though it sounds like you're just really enjoying it all and maybe you should do that until you feel differently (if you do at all).

No, you won't be messing up your quest for goal by taking a little break. As said, it may even be your body that's quietly encouraging this break so it can rest a bit.

Once you get so low on the scale, I think it becomes a matter of perspective anyway. If you love how you look and feel and you're healthy, you may not want to lose more, at least not much more. Or you may go down some more pounds and decide you'd like to lose even more. Some people have a certain bathing suit they want to fit into, a certain goal size or item of clothing, a certain number on the scale they want to see and no higher than that - ever. That's an individual thing and may even change over time. So again, I don't think you have to worry.

You've done a great job, Yam! We're behind you no matter what you do, or in what time-frame you decide to do it.
I have read this post three times already to soak it up. You have been a big inspiration to me from the get-go and I cannot tell you in words how much your faithfulness to encourage others and be a shining example means to me.

You have me thinking all kinds of good thoughts. Maybe my mind is actually transitioning from that frantic "gotta-get-it-done" mentality and urgency to a nice long slide into home base.

I had such a good scale number this morning I couldn't believe it! I think I exhaled yesterday after getting this burden of urgency off my chest. Not sure if that was it or my body was just ready to drop a bit. I've been bouncing between 187 and 189 and for the past week it's been more 189 ish. I was freaking out thinking I might go back into the 190s. After all this hard work I just can't let that happen!! This morning I dropped back down from 189 to 187 and felt such a sense of relief. I'm probably being a little nutso about this.

You mentioned my original goal being so close. For those who do not remember, I set that goal because I have pictures and videos from DS's wedding 9 years ago. I weighed 179-180. I can hardly believe how thin I looked. I was wearing a beautiful gold lame gown I bought at Nordstrom's. It is a 10-12. I set the goal of 180 because of those photos. (Remember, I'm tall with a large frame. Jorge Cruise and several other WL gurus have charts that say 178 is a healthy weight for a women of my age, frame and height).

Guess what?? I can easily slip into that dress right now!!!!! Must be the JUDD magic, huh? 'Cos I'm still 7 pounds over that weight. I am definitely going to wear that dress on my next cruise!! (Don't have a cruise date yet, but I'm excited about it!)

That should be a huge celebration and yet the number on the scale has been dictating how I feel.

I had my annual check up a few weeks ago and reported here about my great low BP, compliments from the doc and nurse and excellent blood work. Makes me wonder what I'm complaining about?

Oh yeah. It's that BMI charts still classify me as "overweight". Funny how some of them have different numbers. Wonder why that is? I think the last one I really studied has me at "normal" (whatever that is??? Just a setting on my dryer???) when I reach 169. 170 = overweight. 169=normal.

I saw a doctor on TV who was saying not to put too much faith in BMI charts because, at over 6 feet tall and weighing 198 he is considered obese. I wondered what BMI chart he has been looking at!! But, also got his point. He was so thin and healthy looking. Yet, everywhere you look people keep pointing to the stupid BMI charts. Maybe we don't have as much an obesity epidemic as we have a warped worship of the BMI. I'm hoping like lots of fads, it will eventually go the way of the D0-D0 bird.

This was a long way of saying thank you for giving me your time and insight once again. You are so generous with your time and wisdom. Love you, Juddie Buddie.

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 07-24-2012 at 09:18 AM..
Old 07-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Yam-Yam, you have been through seven layers of he** in the last year. And, through it all you kept on track. Now, not just your body, but your soul seems to be telling you to take a break and give yourself some recovery time. They aren't ready to strive for new goals, they want time to adjust and cope.

So, do it. Give yourself what you need. Let go of the urgency and prove maintenance will work for you. Let those nomadic little fat cells have time to move around your body and set up house-keeping. Cry. Enjoy a great yet sad get-away with your sisters.

And when you are ready, in a few weeks or months, go to a very nice department store and select the same outfit in a 12, a 10, and an 8. Walk proudly into that dressing room, try each size on and do some serious comparing and thinking. Bring someone along and have them take pics of you wearing each size.

If you need it and when you are ready, the urgency will come back I bet.

Right now, take care of yourself.
Hope you all don't mind me being verbose right now. I feel like I am sitting down with each of you individually with a cup of cocoa and a warm hug, having a wonderful, encouraging visit.

"Yam-Yam, you have been through seven layers of he** in the last year. And, through it all you kept on track."

Tears in my eyes right now, sweet Nancy. I keep a photo of my two late brothers on the fridge and look at them frequently. Sometimes I tell them I'm going to be healthy as a tribute to them. Next to those I have a picture of me at my very thinnest with a big smile on my face from years ago. Reminds me that inside I'm still that person. Sometimes when I'm cooking or cleaning up in the kitchen, I whisper to her that she is great and shouldn't keep beating herself up.

You are so right. I should give myself a medal for staying on track through all the challenges of these last 12 or 13 months. Thanks for making me aware of that. I'm strong. I didn't cave. Many thanks go to all of you and your support.

Love your advice about eventually going to Macy's and trying on 12-10-8 and taking pictures. I'm going to do it w/ BFF! She will be the one.

Now I have a question for you. Can you explain your theory of the nomadic fat cells? I've heard you mention that a few times but not sure what it means?? Is is just that things are shifting around all the time and our body shape changes? Why is that?

When you said "Let go of the urgency" I felt so good with that phrase. I think I'll print out a poster with that on it and put it right above my skinny picture. If I am to be that thin again, then what will be will be. My "job" right now is to enjoy this new WOE that has proven to deliver so many added health benefits along with steady, slow, weight loss.

Who knows? If I can keep this up, without the frantic pace, by next year this time I could really be rolling in the self-satisfaction for good reason!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrannyPants
Stats: Weigh 2 much Age 53
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: June 19 2012
Double post . Thought I lost it.
---------
Mere

Last edited by GrannyPants; 07-24-2012 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: Double post thought it was deleted
GrannyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrannyPants
Stats: Weigh 2 much Age 53
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: June 19 2012
Yam-Yam I can think of a milllion and one things to say to you right now, most of which has already been written above. One thing I do want to say is take a well deserved break.

Did you read the post by Cricket Is JUDDD do-able long term? -- my n=1 experiment.

She hit target in March and has just been doing a loose(not counting) UD's and DD's. If you are nervous about the weight creeping back try doing something like that and practice maintaining. Than you can report back to us.(joking about the reporting)

When you are re-grouped, refreshed and ready to continue. The weight should fall away again.

Relax and enjoy your sisters' visit.

---------
Mere
GrannyPants is offline   Reply With Quote