Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
Taking medications on DD?

I hate to eat before noon on DD, usually I can make it until 1 or 2pm before my stomach is really growling. But there are some days when I need to take something like ibuprofen, or even something stronger (like today). And I just can't do that on an empty stomach. And Tylenol just doesn't cut it.
I broke down this morning right about noon and had a piece of 35 cal toast and a teaspoon of cream cheese. Not too bad, about 50 calories. So, what does everyone else do in that situation?
Crazy Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
Jan, I will change my plans for the sake of getting food "under" a pain pill, yes. I agree with you that it is one of the most frustrating things that can happen on a DD, but the alternative is not safe, since aspirin products and ibuprophen products can be harmful to the lining of the stomach. (Actually, I'm not sure that Tylenol is completely safe without food, but have not heard specifically about that.)

I don't like to eat very early on a DD, either, but it doesn't really "ruin" the day's total menu to place a meal at a different hour. It can be done, and is an inconvenience that is a better choice. I will usually put my "lunch" or "dinner" plan at the morning hour I need the pill, and simply carry on with the rest of the food I have planned in whatever way seems best. All good wishes to you.

Lost 13 pounds on JUDDD in 2009 and began happy maintenance. Slipped up in 2012, but JUDDD got me back to goal!
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I do pretty much the same as you did.. if I'm taking something that will upset my tummy if it's taken on an empty stomach, I eat a little something.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I must have an iron stomach, but on DD I take a minimum of 4 pills before I eat dinner and those 4 don't include what I may need to take for pain. I take 8 pills at bedtime and reserve 95-110 calories for then.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chelly59
Stats: 211.8/199.4/175 54yrs
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: January 4, 2014
I take blood pressure meds daily, usually on an empty stomach. I guess the stomach is use to eat. I will follow with a yogurt on both DD and UD.
chelly59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I eat a cheese stick...low-fat ones are about 50-70 calories.

This may sound funny, but I put a LOT of thought into this!!!
I take 2 medications and a handful of capsules (herbs, magnesium, potassium for blood pressure) twice a day, plus vitamins; on DDs I needed something to "push" everything down...that hopefully wouldn't set me off on an eating frenzy...and it has to be low-carb/no sugar, because I have diabetes. Otherwise, I would just have 1/2 a granola bar, a slice of toast, a piece of fruit, or something like that.

So, cheese stick has turned out to be the best, most convenient answer. Sometimes a piece of celery, too.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-22-2012 at 06:35 PM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:03 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Lettuce leaves or steamed leafy veggies, usually. In case I feel the pill needs a significant buffer, I keep saltine crackers (14 calories each) and a roasted chicken breast (figure 50 cal/ounce) on hand.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
PS--I would also consider drinking some aloe juice when taking a painkiller.

I don't know off-hand if there is a recommended time, like 15 minutes before, or if both can be taken together, or if it should even be taken afterward. I do know that aloe can heal the stomach lining, so I imagine that it could counteract or perhaps even prevent any damage caused by a painkiller. I'll try to find out if there's a "best time" to take it, unless someone else knows?

Gelatin can also be very healing to the gut, and may even "coat" & protect the stomach a bit. I buy unflavored gelatin by the pound and use it as a protein/collagen supplement.

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-23-2012 at 07:37 AM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
I forgot about crackers! After being low carb for 18 months they never even entered my mind!
Most of my meds I can take on an empty stomach-BP meds, biotin, Omega3's, Tylenol, stuff like that. It's just the NSAID's and pin killers that i worry about.
Crazy Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I'll have a tablespoon of cream in my coffee, or a spoonful of cottage cheese, to buffer pills in the morning, even on a DD.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #11

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I have a weird med schedule. I can't have certain foods/supplements within 4-6 hours of taking my thyroid medication, so I've started taking it in the middle of the night. I often wake up several times every night anyway, so I just keep it on my nightstand, and whatever time I wake up "near" 2:00, I'll take it then. Then I take my beta blocker at 6:00 on an empty stomach. Neither of those require food.

I take a calcium/D3 combo and a multi-vitamin with iron. Both say to take with food, and I don't want to take them together, so on UDs, I take the calcium/D3 with breakfast and my multi with lunch. On DDs, I often don't eat breakfast, so I just push it back to lunch and dinner.

6 months ago, I only took a beta blocker. That's it. This has been quite an adjustment for me, but it's working out pretty well. I'm pretty sure I'll be adding another medication for my thyroid soon, and that's going to throw another monkey wrench into my schedule.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I have a weird med schedule. I can't have certain foods/supplements within 4-6 hours of taking my thyroid medication, so I've started taking it in the middle of the night. I often wake up several times every night anyway, so I just keep it on my nightstand, and whatever time I wake up "near" 2:00, I'll take it then. Then I take my beta blocker at 6:00 on an empty stomach. Neither of those require food.

I take a calcium/D3 combo and a multi-vitamin with iron. Both say to take with food, and I don't want to take them together, so on UDs, I take the calcium/D3 with breakfast and my multi with lunch. On DDs, I often don't eat breakfast, so I just push it back to lunch and dinner.

6 months ago, I only took a beta blocker. That's it. This has been quite an adjustment for me, but it's working out pretty well. I'm pretty sure I'll be adding another medication for my thyroid soon, and that's going to throw another monkey wrench into my schedule.
Dawn, so you are taking thyroid first like 2 am on empty stomach? I usually have mine at 5:00 am. I sometimes eat something around 8:30. I guess that is going to be okay? Wondering about my Omega 3 fish oil? It has 40 cals for a tsp? Should I quit taking it on DD or just make sure it is counted?
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Dawn, so you are taking thyroid first like 2 am on empty stomach? I usually have mine at 5:00 am. I sometimes eat something around 8:30. I guess that is going to be okay? Wondering about my Omega 3 fish oil? It has 40 cals for a tsp? Should I quit taking it on DD or just make sure it is counted?
I googled Levothyroxine and fish oil interactions and it says there are none. I'm not sure if you're taking that or something else. The following is all based on T4 only, levothyroxine in my case. It's just easiest for me to take it in the middle of the night. That way, if I happen to wake up hungry, or I'm craving a bagel and cream cheese or something, I don't have to think about it.

From what I read, you shouldn't have calcium/dairy within 4 hours of taking it. I may be overly cautious, but I won't even have cream in my coffee or cheese, etc. within 4 hours.

The following is from wiki.answers (I bolded items that "for me" are common breakfast items)

What foods interfere with the absorption Levothyroxine?

Answer:

High fiber foods

Buckwheat (soba noodles)
Cabbage
Calcium-enriched foods (juices, cereals, etc.)
Collards
Fenugreek
Flax, flaxseed, walnuts
Garden cress
Garden sorrel
Kale
Lentil
Linseed
Milk and dairy products (cheese, cream cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt)
Oats
Rye

Caffeine (newly hypothesized)
Soybean (tofu, soymilk, edamame, textured soy protein, soy yogurt, etc.)
Kelp (seaweed, nori)
St Johnswort

Foods, vitamins or supplements with iron, magnesium or aluminum

It is recommended that these foods or supplements be consummed at least four hours before or after taking levothyroxine.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #14

And don't get me started on goitrogenic foods, lol! The list is insane! Thankfully, it has nothing to do with taking meds, so this isn't the place to list them.

I forgot to answer your fish oil question with regard to DD usage. I'd still take it and just count the calories. Several here don't count the calories in their supplements and do just fine. YMMV.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks! Okay, I am admitting to still eating goitrogenic foods. I wonder if I am shooting myself. It is not every day. However, I have been to two docs who never mentioned changing the foods I eat. Most specifically, spinach, strawberries, peaches, sweet potatoes and cabbage. It is not every day, but I still have these foods sporadically. However, if they are cooked it removes the goitrogens?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #16

On the wikipedia list of goitrogenic foods, it qualifies the cooking exception as follows:

"Certain raw foods (cooking inactivates the goitrogens, except in the cases of soy and millet[1]) have been identified as lightly goitrogenic. "

So soy and millet are still actively goitrogenic even after cooking, but the rest of the list is safe as long as you cook them first. I'm sure missing fresh strawberries though!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You know, when I did the "hcg protocol" through a doctor in 09, I drank a "strawberry & spinach" smoothie every single day.
It was very low cal, 80 calories, but now I wonder if it was at a price??? I never had more energy in all of my life as I did on that protocol.