Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusrose63 View Post
I guess I feel a bit of reluctance--if not outright resentment--about needing to count calories every day once I get to my scale goal.
I wrote the following before I read through the thread and saw Tina's excellent post. Honest, I'm not trying to be a copycat!

This is how I see it, maybe you can think about it this way, too.

None of us can go on non-stop shopping trips without eventually blowing our bank account. No matter how much money any of us have, we all have to keep an eye on the balance, because if we don't, we'll eventually end up overdrawn. Overdrawn in this example = overweight.

It'd be nice to be able to eat without any limitations, eating whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted, wouldn't it?
It'd be nice to be able to spend without any limitations, spending whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted, wouldn't it?

But the millionaires I've known don't do that. They're careful with their money. Not necessarily miserly, but careful. They keep track of their money, they spend on things that are meaningful to them. Sure, they've upgraded some things in their lives, but they don't fritter it away, spending just because they "can". They manage to hang on to their money by being careful with it, by being conscious of their spending decisions. They hang on to their money by not spending lavishly all the time.

We have to have the same mindset in maintenance. Our "wealth" is having a slim figure, being able to spend freely when it's important to us, and being mindful of the 'pennies' (calories) when it's not.

That make any sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Well, I am one who has said, I can't wait to get to maintenance because I am going to add wine and dessert on DD as well as UD. Guess what? I am learning the longer that I do JUDDD, I may only be able to add this luxury sporadically even at goal. I don't want to admit this yet, but it seems that it is taking so long to arrive that I fear what the end may be.
That's the mindset I'm talking about in my post. Occasional luxuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post

Lately, something that has been helping me is thinking of food similarly to how I think of money. (maybe the finance major is asserting herself after all these years, lol). We are on a pretty strict financial budget. Money is tight. Likely will be for quite some time in the future. I could rant and rave how unfair it is the xxx family can go on vacation and spend money without thought, but that wouldn't be very productive. We have what we have, and it is my job to do the best with it I can. I can't browse online and put whatever pleases me into my cart. I have to plan every purchase. If we plan a splurge, we have to figure out what we are going to give up to make it happen. If we splurge unplanned, we may have to give up something we really wanted to do to cover it. Sometimes events come up that we have no control over and we have to spend money we didn't intend, and the result is the same, something else has to be given up to make up for it. Yes, I have to think about money way more than someone who has more of it. And yes, I will continue to have to think about it likely for the rest of our lives.

Transitioning to food--I have a body that can't do refined carbs/sugar. I have blood sugar issues. Indulging in these foods will cause real and serious health issues for me in the future. I also have a metabolism that will cause me to gain weight if I eat thoughtlessly and as much as I want. I have a calorie budget that I must stay within. And if I don't respect that, I will suffer the consequences just as surely as I will fall deeply in debt if I spend money thoughtlessly and as much as I would like to.

The discipline to control my eating is really not so different from the discipline required to control my spending.
Outstanding!

Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I agree with and often use the money/banking analogy. You've had some very good responses here, and I certainly don't have it all figured out yet, so I'm enjoying absorbing all the wonderful intelligence we have here.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
LOL Sheridan--great minds and all that.

I'm glad my thoughts could be helpful to some. I certainly don't have it all figured out. But I AM feeling more settled about things, and can def relate to where you are coming from Kristen.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: aarosali
Stats: 172.4/172.4/150's 5'9"
WOE: HCG/JUDDD
Start Date: 3/25/12
OMG! Thanks for this awesome thread and for all of the incredible posts.

Maintenance is the bane of my existence. I've been to goal and back so many times. I know what I'm supposed to do. I know how much I can eat on an UD and a DD. I know that carbs and fat together are deadly for me. Yet, I can't seem to manage my appetite or meals. Instead I get on the rollercoaster. Gain and then lose.

I love the idea that maintenance is the journey too. Not the end. I need to shift my thinking of the diet being 'over'. It never is. Maintenance is the next stage of eating a bit more, with a few indulgences with daily weigh ins and a constantly clean diet.

Thank you to all of you wonderful JUDDD BUDDDs for sharing your thoughts. You guys rock!!
aarosali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #35

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarosali View Post

Maintenance is the bane of my existence. I've been to goal and back so many times. I know what I'm supposed to do. I know how much I can eat on an UD and a DD. I know that carbs and fat together are deadly for me. Yet, I can't seem to manage my appetite or meals. Instead I get on the rollercoaster. Gain and then lose.

I love the idea that maintenance is the journey too. Not the end. I need to shift my thinking of the diet being 'over'. It never is. Maintenance is the next stage of eating a bit more, with a few indulgences with daily weigh ins and a constantly clean diet.

Thank you to all of you wonderful JUDDD BUDDDs for sharing your thoughts. You guys rock!!
Yup! You've got it now! Maintenance is just more of the same ongoing thing.. Your LIFE!

You just keep enjoying the weather and your family, the new movies and your cat, reading a good book, doing the crossword, and weighing in each morning. You are living your wonderful life. And you keep the car gassed up and phone your daughter, you dust and vacuum and make cookies for the elder neighbor lady, and you continue to measure your foods and tally up your calories. You continue to eat a bit more on Up Days and a bit less on Down Days, and you live your wonderful, glorious, slim, lean, vibrant, exciting LIFE! It's never over... it's just ongoing. It's a part of your life now. You manage your weight, just as you manage all of the aspects of your health and your appearance. And your life ends up being very, very nice.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: garnet10
Stats: 182/Goal 125
WOE: hCG
Start Date: hCG 10/9/10; restarted 10/14/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarosali View Post

Very well said!
garnet10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 156/156/130 - 5'4", Age: 53
WOE: JUDDD 1900/800 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD restart June 2014
Yeah, I was looking for something I could do the rest of my life, and I believe JUDDD is it! I have done this before, without thinking about it, eating lighter after a bigger calorie intake day, just didn't realize that is what I was doing. And I never did this consistently enough to see the value in it. Now I do thankfully. I still haven't "arrived" at my maintenance weight, so still a little apprehensive about it. I mean I know objectively all the right answers, but emotionally this subject is still a bit charged for me...

Lost 3 pounds from Jan 1 2012 til April 30 2012 by "eating healthy", LC, etc...
Lost 12 pounds from May 1 2012 til September 1 2012 with JUDDD

Down and Up 10-15# every year since 2000 with VLC, semi LC and Carb Cycling
Anticipating forever success with JUDDD!!
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #38

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusrose63 View Post
Yeah, I was looking for something I could do the rest of my life, and I believe JUDDD is it! I have done this before, without thinking about it, eating lighter after a bigger calorie intake day, just didn't realize that is what I was doing. And I never did this consistently enough to see the value in it. Now I do thankfully. I still haven't "arrived" at my maintenance weight, so still a little apprehensive about it. I mean I know objectively all the right answers, but emotionally this subject is still a bit charged for me...
Well, JUDDD is pretty darned comfortable to do forever, that's for certain!

It is a little bit more than just calorie cycling though.. a bit more than just eating less one day and more the next, or cutting back on the day after one in which you ate large.

The near-fasting component of our Down Days really does contribute a great deal to our physical health beyond just acting as the weight-loss days of this diet plan, so there is true benefit in continuing the up/down calorie cycle throughout maintenance as well as just during the time we're working to lose our excess body fat.

Maintenance in easier from the standpoint that our calories can be increased. In fact, we have to eat more to prevent further weight loss! But I still choose to do quite a few of my DDs at somewhat lower calorie levels than I'd have to, rather that nearly as high as I could be doing them, just for the benefit to my body from that fasting period instead of eating big every day.

Sounds like you're closing in on your goal weight! You're going to LOVE maintenance on JUDDD! Woo Hoo!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #39

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Subscribing to this great thread.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Timmy's Wife
Stats: 134/124/125
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyL View Post
Well.....I'm having a different problem with maintenance. I can't seem to get out of that 'need to lose weight' mindset. I continue to slowly lose even though I say I am done. I really did not want to go below 120 and here I am at 117.....and a bit upset that the scale showed 117.4 this a.m. And I should not be. I just can't seem to accept that I've lost enough. Looking at the charts for my height and small frame my range is 114-127. I know it's just a chart but 120 is right in the middle and honestly is a good weight for me. I'm not sure how to get my brain to accept that and do what I need to do to maintain versus lose. *sigh*
I am in the exact same boat! I've spent so much time in weight-loss mode that I just can't quite let go of it yet. My motivation on DDs has been seeing the scale drop after a DD, and I can't wrap my brain around being satisfied with maintaining the same weight. I can actually see myself getting into dangerous territory if I continue like this

Last edited by Timmy's Wife; 07-31-2012 at 12:41 PM..
Timmy's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zagnut
Stats: 143/119/118
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: 5/24/12-LC 12/1/12-LC JUDDD
Subscribing and wondering how any of the original posters are doing in maintenance since it's been a few months. Heading that way myself in a short while!
zagnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Zag, I spent the first while jumping onto and falling off the maintenance wagon. This seems completely understandable to me, given that maintenance was such a foreign land, I got there almost too quickly for my comfort , and that I came from a pretty whacked background with food, eating, and weight.
Now? Maintenance, just like WLM, is a great exploration of what foods I like, what foods make me feel good, and what foods make me crazy.
Occasionally I get tired of rotations and do something different (potato hack, fat fast, etc., all of them exciting). So far, it always happens that within four or five days, I miss the up-down rhythm and go back to it.
Something about that rhythm feels comforting and profoundly healthy to me.

I'm looking forward to hearing from other JBs.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #43
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagnut View Post
Subscribing and wondering how any of the original posters are doing in maintenance since it's been a few months. Heading that way myself in a short while!
Thanks for bumping this thread! I love reading from the people who've gone before us and hit goal and figured out how to handle the challenges that go along with that.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I agree with Kristin. I have left JUDDD for short periods only to come right back with vigor. I am doing maintenance today through Jan 3, just because of travel and not really knowing if I will be able to stay strictly on numbers. One thing that I notice, is that I gravitate to a bit higher DD, (500) but my UD stays around the same or lower during maintenance. Only thing, I can think of, is that it is ingrained in me to conserve my cals on both days and that I live and thrive on restriction. I am inspired that it may be that my brain finally "gets" it. I eat to satiety and then I am content.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Maintenance, just like WLM, is a great exploration of what foods I like, what foods make me feel good, and what foods make me crazy.
Occasionally I get tired of rotations and do something different (potato hack, fat fast, etc., all of them exciting). So far, it always happens that within four or five days, I miss the up-down rhythm and go back to it.
Something about that rhythm feels comforting and profoundly healthy to me.

I'm looking forward to hearing from other JBs.
Soooo true!

And it feels so good to finally listen to my body, not just my emotions/cravings/irrationalities/etc.

Not every time mind you, for sure I am not perfect (especially with the holidays! )

I feel as though I am learning more day by day...and finally learning to relax when it comes to food. Loving that!!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
Great to read this as I missed it the first time. Excellent thoughts and advice on maintenance!
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 176/173.8/155 - 5'5
WOE: JUDDD*
Wow I loved reading this thread ! Especially the money analogy. It is very true that our weight is just like our budget account. Love it!!! Can't wait until I can say I am in maintenance
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
What an awesome thread!

When JoyJoy (Kristen) said, “My weight is lower, but I'm a seesaw. I'm looking forward to something steadier. “ And then sohappy (Pat) said, “or are now eating just the right amount to balance.”

I immediately got the memory of me as a middle schooler standing in the center of the seesaw trying to make it balance without anyone else on it. Both sides would wildly swing up and down as I shifted my weight and tried to see how wild I could be without falling off, or how gently I could rock it without losing balance at all. What a nice memory. But it’s not so fun when that seesaw you’re trying to balance on is your weight. That’s how it feels – exciting and terrifying at the same time, and sometimes you over-compensate and fall off on your bunz and get up and try again. Right now I’m on the “try again” phase.

I have been not quite to true “goal” yet, not even sure what that really will be, but have been taking a break, trying to learn to maintain and heal some other things going on. The way I lost weight was healthy but can be kind of extreme, and pretty soon the body and minds looks for equilibrium. Hanging around you ladies is really healing for me. Thanks.

HCG Rx to lose - JUDDD to maintain
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry, I must be a thread killer .... oops.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #50

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
No, C'Marie! No way!

I thought your memory you shared was a really nice one, and interesting too as an analogy of the balancing act we're on all the time. It's not as easy as it looks could apply to both!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Marie, No thread killer. Just saw your reply and will be back tonight or early morn w/thoughts. More family time.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zagnut
Stats: 143/119/118
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: 5/24/12-LC 12/1/12-LC JUDDD
Very nice to read the replies, and glad to see so many doing well in maintenance. I look forward to being able to relax and just enjoy the WOE for what it is. I am sort of on a maintenance break until the end of the year and have done pretty well. Was staying the same weight for a week or so, then just dropped another pound, so obviously it will be an ongoing learning process.
Happy Holidays everyone! Hope your Christmas is wonderful!
zagnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Marie, I believe that ADF has helped to heal my metabolism. The balance that I have received from the benefits of ADF range from losing weight to freeing myself from eating foods that were either stress trigger foods or simply anti-nutritional foods has been amazing.

For the first time, in many years, I feel so much control. I quit sugar four years ago, when I did the hcg protocol. It was the first magical step toward healing my metabolism. I gradually dropped much of the processed foods, wheat and grain based moving to paleo type eating. The weight gained after meno-hell was slowly coming off, but then I began fasting...a whole lot of healing took place. JUDDD is one plan in the many IF plans that agrees with my lifestyle. You can't beat the flexibility and the best part is that you can eat whichever way that you love & feel the best, "every other day". I believe that is the key.

I am doing maintenance until Jan 2. AND, I plan to throw in a 4 day tater hack beginning tomorrow. What other WOE allows all of this freedom?

Last edited by sunday; 12-25-2012 at 10:09 AM..
Old 12-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're right, of course. I had a very happy, indulgent, gluten-free Christmas eve, lots of carbs, sugar, (but no wheat) chocolate, and many many calories I didn't even try to count. Today, I am on a DD. Our special celebration was yesterday, no sense in eating leftovers and compounding the issues I am packing to go on a few days out of town to visit other family and there will be some indulging there as well. If I do one good DD the rest of the week it will be a miracle.

But whatever I decide to do, I know I can jump right back on JUDDD and it will all even out. That is part of the lessons in peace that JUDDD has left me with, in my limited JUDDD experience. I'm a little impatient, but not panicky. WHEN I decide to lose more, I can, whether I decide to go back to hcg or continue with JUDDD and go back in weight-loss-mode.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

New year, new me!!

I have decided to start back to WLM soon. I have so thoroughly enjoyed maintenance since August, and have never been able to enjoy the holidays so much and also feel so good about myself as this past year. Still, I am wanting to fit into my clothes a bit better, and I would like to feel smaller in general...my bras still don't fit quite as nicely as I would like.

I have been hovering around 142-144. My new goal is going to be just 135, and then I will return to this thread with a report....best to all of you in maintenance this new year.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
Barb- I am happy that you enjoyed the holidays! I am looking forward to hearing how WLM goes for you. I went up a little over the holidays but nothing like in previous years but enough to put me back into WLM for a bit as well. I like how easy it is to go back and forth from maintenance to WLM on this program.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:26 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Bump.
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote