Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommy2boysaz
Stats: 5'6" - 188.2/182.4/140
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: June 23,2012
No WONDER I was gaining weight!

I have been getting the hang of JUDDD the past 2 weeks and am enjoying it so far. But, I wasn't counting cals on the UD and my losses have been modest. So, I started thinking maybe I should at least count and see what I typically consume on UDs (which is the same as a "typical" day for me when I'm not "dieting").
Ahem. It appears I typically consume somewhere between 2500 and 3000 calories in any given day if I'm not trying to restrict myself at all. This has been quite an awakening for me. I knew I probably ate too much of too many "bad" foods. But I really didn't think the cals were that high on such a regular basis.

I've been doing really well on my DD and they are gettting easier. So, this week I will begin restricting my UD to a very reasonable 2000 cals or less. I'm anxious to see what this might do for my losses. My plan is to do DD on Mon/Wed/Fri. If I figured correctly, allowing 500 cals on DD and 2000 on UD, it would average out to 1357 cals/day, which will result in weight lost, I'm sure.
I am Loving JUDDD!
mommy2boysaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Mom, I know what you mean. I cannot, cannot imagine how I did not explode when I was on LC, eating far more than your tally. All the best this week. I'm sure you'll do beautifully.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smi1es
Stats: GW 145
WOE: A little of everything
Start Date: January 1st, 2014
I'm curious too! I have days where I think I eat 2500+ calories. I keep track on DDs but not really on UDs.

I wish you the best of luck and please let us know if you notice a difference!
Smi1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
"Modest" losses suddenly become impressive losses! The future is really looking good
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
This is a subject that comes up around here periodically, and overall.. most agree that those who count calories on UDs lose weight the most consistently, and at the fastest rate they can for them individually. Those who don't count calories on UDs may do just fine too. Or not.

There are a few things that make counting UD calories worthwhile, and will reward us even beyond the hoped-for immediate weight loss happening too.

As some of us have discovered, we can overeat on our UDs to the point that even really good DDs aren't enough to give us calorie averages low enough to result in melting fat stores. I mean, let's face it.. a lot of us here are needing a weight loss site because we are BIG EATERS. I'm a lot better now, but I could eat my hubby under the table before JUDDD. I really had sort of lost the picture of *enough* in my mind.

And a lot of us had formed the *Eating Habits of Overweight People*... we served ourselves overly large portions of almost everything. (That lost picture of what a normal amount of food for a meal should be.)We also went back for seconds of pretty much anything that tasted especially good, even when we weren't remotely hungry. We ate for the taste. And we often had to be stuffed to the gills before we stopped piling in the good stuff, just because it was so YUMMY!

And we ate everywhere. All the time. The world was our dinner table. If we went to the Mall.. we ate. If we went to a movie, we ate. If we stopped for gas, we bought something from the Convenience Store and ate. If we stopped in for catfood and tampons, we'd buy a candy bar or some chips too, and eat them in the car. We were scared to leave the house without a little something in our purses. In the middle of the afternoon, we were bent over, rummaging through the refrigerator, looking for something to eat. Or we were slicing off just another little slice of the cake on the kitchen counter.

JUDDD really does help us learn the valuable habit of eating in a more moderate and sensible way. It helps us form that new habit and live by that habit. But.. we actually have to do it before it will be able to work for us. Otherwise, we're just wasting *The Days of Our Lives*.

Dr. Johnson speaks out of both sides of his mouth a little bit... telling us that we are free to not count calories on our UDs, and then also telling us that on our UDs, we will just eat our *Normal* calories, which he lets us figure out with his Calorie Calculator. He even labels these our Normal Calories.

But in addition to using our UD calorie numbers to help us lose weight, and to retrain our eyes and our brain to recognize an appropriate amount of food to be eating, counting on UDs also helps us not fall too low sometimes. For most of us, too low - too often, will serve to slow our metabolisms down even more than they are already plodding along, and a slow metabolism is usually already something most of us have to deal with.

Glad you recognized a problem you were running into early on so that you can work to form the new eating habit of moderation that will turn you into a slim and trim new you very shortly! As you're measuring out your UD food portions from the lovely menus you have planned, be daydreaming about all the new wardrobe of little sizes you'll have to be buying, and how cute you're going to look in those darling things! Woo Hoo!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Mom2b, almost all of us discover some very eye-opening things about ourselves on this WOE, so congrats on figuring out what was holding you back (and not by much it sounds like - you still had losses while eating that many calories, so this is a great sign for you of things to come I think! )
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeeOne
Stats: 308/222/195
WOE: Moderate carbs/JUDDD
Start Date: 2012 Start: 5 May Mod LC/ 1 Jul JUDDD
SoHappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
And a lot of us had formed the *Eating Habits of Overweight People*... we served ourselves overly large portions of almost everything. (That lost picture of what a normal amount of food for a meal should be.)We also went back for seconds of pretty much anything that tasted especially good, even when we weren't remotely hungry. We ate for the taste. And we often had to be stuffed to the gills before we stopped piling in the good stuff, just because it was so YUMMY!
This is so me..I had to accept.. it wasnt just the hormones, wasnt just the slow metabolism, wasnt even the lack of exercise.. It was the comfort eating & those BIG portions .. the seconds..thirds

I have to calorie count, I've got food portion dysmorphia.. it always just seems like a small portion....so i brought some smaller dinner plates & bowls
DeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Wtg on losing again!

I am the opposite though. I was counting everything down to tic tac calories and was losing really really slow. I gave up counting but kept within normal portions and started losing again! I do love how you can work JUDDD to work with you!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebubb View Post
Wtg on losing again!

I am the opposite though. I was counting everything down to tic tac calories and was losing really really slow. I gave up counting but kept within normal portions and started losing again! I do love how you can work JUDDD to work with you!
But do you know why? When you were counting, were those calories too high? Or were they too low? Without counting your calories now, do you know what numbers you are now coming in at? So do you know whether you have now adjusted to a higher calorie number? Or a lower one? Just thinking it would be nice if you knew what number you were now eating at, so that you would know what number was your current number.

But as long as it's working for you, who can quibble? Weight loss is weight loss, and as hard as it is to come by and then maintain, however it comes to us is welcome 1,000 times over!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
dee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dee
Stats: (HW196)188/181.4/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart Nov 26.13 (formerly HHCG 2 rounds)
I am one who isn't counting on UDs. I may have to start if I stall. But I am losing about a lb a week so I'm happy with that. I am noticing that I am eating less on my UDs than a "regular" day's calories pre-JUDDD. I'm quite happy about that. Things may change as I continue but for now...I'm happy
dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
But do you know why? When you were counting, were those calories too high? Or were they too low? Without counting your calories now, do you know what numbers you are now coming in at? So do you know whether you have now adjusted to a higher calorie number? Or a lower one? Just thinking it would be nice if you knew what number you were now eating at, so that you would know what number was your current number.

But as long as it's working for you, who can quibble? Weight loss is weight loss, and as hard as it is to come by and then maintain, however it comes to us is welcome 1,000 times over!
My calories came in to low when I counted, fear I guess, would stop me from eating more. I keep a rough estimate mentally now (most days anyways) and am more relaxed about it. I still come very close or a little over my 1800 calories. But when I was tracking it would be quite normal to see 1300 for the day and me quit eating! I needed to free my mind is what I was getting at in my post, once I did JUDDD started working for me once again!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Tanya, I have long envied your tendency to eat under your numbers. God, the MOMENT I stop looking and counting, I begin to eat more and more and more. This doesn't discourage me the way it used to, but some day I'd like to switch brains with you, just to know what it feels like to be unable to eat more when you hit 1300 calories!
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #13

Quote:
My calories came in to low when I counted, fear I guess, would stop me from eating more. I keep a rough estimate mentally now (most days anyways) and am more relaxed about it. I still come very close or a little over my 1800 calories. But when I was tracking it would be quite normal to see 1300 for the day and me quit eating! I needed to free my mind is what I was getting at in my post, once I did JUDDD started working for me once again!
Well, your stats show you down over 40 POUNDS, so you are doing something right!

However we get there, the most important thing is to lose the weight and get healthy. Looks like you're doing what it takes for yourself.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smi1es
Stats: GW 145
WOE: A little of everything
Start Date: January 1st, 2014
You bring up a good point SoHappy. I may have to keep a better watch on my UD calories.

Tanya - I too love how it seems that people can "tweek" JUDDD to fit their own needs. I love how one thing may work for you that doesn't work for another. And that it's sort of some trial and error but overall everyone seems successful!!!!
Smi1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hollyitworks
Stats: 185/168/130 -17 Woohoo!
WOE: JUDDD (Is there any other way?)
Start Date: Restart July 2012 JUDDD. Start May 2012 Atkins
I ready to start planning all days

I have been very happy the first two weeks JUDDDing. I've counted calories on DD's and stayed mostly under 500. I've counted on most UD's with only a few tantrum days where I went over calories. But I need to plan both days so no surprises. I think I was so happy to be able to choose what I wanted to eat, I couldn't bring myself to plan. Now, I want to lose lbs.. Steady loss, no surprises or looking at the scale number while hiding my eyes. lol. Off to plan.

Holly
hollyitworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: garnet10
Stats: 182/Goal 125
WOE: hCG
Start Date: hCG 10/9/10; restarted 10/14/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2boysaz View Post
I have been getting the hang of JUDDD the past 2 weeks and am enjoying it so far. But, I wasn't counting cals on the UD and my losses have been modest. So, I started thinking maybe I should at least count and see what I typically consume on UDs (which is the same as a "typical" day for me when I'm not "dieting").
Ahem. It appears I typically consume somewhere between 2500 and 3000 calories in any given day if I'm not trying to restrict myself at all. This has been quite an awakening for me. I knew I probably ate too much of too many "bad" foods. But I really didn't think the cals were that high on such a regular basis.

I've been doing really well on my DD and they are gettting easier. So, this week I will begin restricting my UD to a very reasonable 2000 cals or less. I'm anxious to see what this might do for my losses. My plan is to do DD on Mon/Wed/Fri. If I figured correctly, allowing 500 cals on DD and 2000 on UD, it would average out to 1357 cals/day, which will result in weight lost, I'm sure.
I am Loving JUDDD!
Oh, this has been me, too! I was actually just on vacation so I watched what I ate and did not do JUDDD, but now I would like to start back on JUDDD tomorrow with a down day, and I now I will have to monitor my up days as well. Best of luck to you!
garnet10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
This is a subject that comes up around here periodically, and overall.. most agree that those who count calories on UDs lose weight the most consistently, and at the fastest rate they can for them individually. Those who don't count calories on UDs may do just fine too. Or not.

There are a few things that make counting UD calories worthwhile, and will reward us even beyond the hoped-for immediate weight loss happening too.

As some of us have discovered, we can overeat on our UDs to the point that even really good DDs aren't enough to give us calorie averages low enough to result in melting fat stores. I mean, let's face it.. a lot of us here are needing a weight loss site because we are BIG EATERS. I'm a lot better now, but I could eat my hubby under the table before JUDDD. I really had sort of lost the picture of *enough* in my mind.

And we ate everywhere. All the time. The world was our dinner table. If we went to the Mall.. we ate. If we went to a movie, we ate. If we stopped for gas, we bought something from the Convenience Store and ate. If we stopped in for catfood and tampons, we'd buy a candy bar or some chips too, and eat them in the car. We were scared to leave the house without a little something in our purses. In the middle of the afternoon, we were bent over, rummaging through the refrigerator, looking for something to eat. Or we were slicing off just another little slice of the cake on the kitchen counter.

JUDDD really does help us learn the valuable habit of eating in a more moderate and sensible way. It helps us form that new habit and live by that habit. But.. we actually have to do it before it will be able to work for us. Otherwise, we're just wasting *The Days of Our Lives*.

Dr. Johnson speaks out of both sides of his mouth a little bit... telling us that we are free to not count calories on our UDs, and then also telling us that on our UDs, we will just eat our *Normal* calories, which he lets us figure out with his Calorie Calculator. He even labels these our Normal Calories.

But in addition to using our UD calorie numbers to help us lose weight, and to retrain our eyes and our brain to recognize an appropriate amount of food to be eating, counting on UDs also helps us not fall too low sometimes. For most of us, too low - too often, will serve to slow our metabolisms down even more than they are already plodding along, and a slow metabolism is usually already something most of us have to deal with.

Glad you recognized a problem you were running into early on so that you can work to form the new eating habit of moderation that will turn you into a slim and trim new you very shortly! As you're measuring out your UD food portions from the lovely menus you have planned, be daydreaming about all the new wardrobe of little sizes you'll have to be buying, and how cute you're going to look in those darling things! Woo Hoo!

Couldn't agree more! I know that I love to eat because I love yummy things! And, I also know I use food as a reward. I tell myself I deserve that JavaChip Frappuccino! Even when I just ate 1500 calories worth of dinner at whatever restaurant... So, I am still learning how to change that mentality, but I'm optimistic now for the first time in a long time. Which is a very nice feeling. And, I am really loving the way I feel on the DDs, and excited about getting on the scale the following morning. I've had 2 UD in a row this weekend and I feel miserable. (Potluck today.) Looking forward to fasting tomorrow. There's a sentence I never thought I'd utter!!
Old 07-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chelly59
Stats: 211.8/199.4/175 54yrs
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: January 4, 2014
I usually make sure I stay within the calories allowed for my UD. There are moments on DD that just thinking of the next day and knowing I will be able to eat more of what I like, gives me strength to hold on and not go overboard with calories. I am seeing a slow but downward weight loss after each DD.
chelly59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:15 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I had a DD yesterday that was tough, likely due to pigging out all weekend! So, I ended up with probably 650-700 calories, which is my highest DD ever. But, I'm still down 3.6 pounds from the day before (following said pig-out). Today I will keep my cals at or below 2000. Anxious to see how that feels and what the scale has to say about it over the course of the week.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:23 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hollyitworks
Stats: 185/168/130 -17 Woohoo!
WOE: JUDDD (Is there any other way?)
Start Date: Restart July 2012 JUDDD. Start May 2012 Atkins
One benefit I've also noticed, as well as what Mommy and SoHappy have discussed, on UD normal portions are way more satisfying. Overeating is very painful.
hollyitworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:15 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Quote:

JUDDD really does help us learn the valuable habit of eating in a more moderate and sensible way. It helps us form that new habit and live by that habit. But.. we actually have to do it before it will be able to work for us.
It's good that you've found the solution to your own weight loss challenge - since you say you were a normal weight for much of your life, probably you weren't suffering from some of the metabolic disorders or physiologial issues that many people here are.

However, I think that we should be sympathetic to the many people on this board (the entire board not just JUDDD) who have more complex reasons why they are overweight/obese. They've been told 'just eat less and move more' for ages, and clearly if that was enough, it would already have worked for them, especially the ones who have been watching what they eat and dieting almost their entire lives.

I suspect that, for many of them, if someone told them 'you just need to be more sensible about what you eat and have good eating habits', they'd either break down crying or else bash the person in the face, because they've heard this so many times, and they have experienced so much blame/guilt over their weight.

After joining the board, I read the book _Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It_, and one of the things I really liked about it is that it approaches obesity as a medical disorder rather than lack of mental discipline.

So although it's good for us to share our personal experiences, I think it's important to remember that people may be in different situations and that for many people, being overweight is a physiological problem not just a lack of discipline, and not to make them feel bad by suggesting it's just about bad discipline or bad habits.
Avicenna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #22

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
It's good that you've found the solution to your own weight loss challenge - since you say you were a normal weight for much of your life, probably you weren't suffering from some of the metabolic disorders or physiologial issues that many people here are.

However, I think that we should be sympathetic to the many people on this board (the entire board not just JUDDD) who have more complex reasons why they are overweight/obese. They've been told 'just eat less and move more' for ages, and clearly if that was enough, it would already have worked for them, especially the ones who have been watching what they eat and dieting almost their entire lives.

I suspect that, for many of them, if someone told them 'you just need to be more sensible about what you eat and have good eating habits', they'd either break down crying or else bash the person in the face, because they've heard this so many times, and they have experienced so much blame/guilt over their weight.

After joining the board, I read the book _Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It_, and one of the things I really liked about it is that it approaches obesity as a medical disorder rather than lack of mental discipline.

So although it's good for us to share our personal experiences, I think it's important to remember that people may be in different situations and that for many people, being overweight is a physiological problem not just a lack of discipline, and not to make them feel bad by suggesting it's just about bad discipline or bad habits.
I didn't it read it that way at all. Pat offers us so much valuable wisdom and always quantifies her advice by saying "many of us" or "some of us" and never "we ALL." She's hypothyroid BTW. I'm also hypothyroid, but my weight gain was due to all of the reasons she listed. Had I eaten sensibly, I sincerely doubt I would have ended up nearly 300 pounds. I know everyone's different, but I also love to read about everyone's experiences.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:42 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
I recommend JUDDD to everyone who is struggling to lose weight and with health, just for the education. Sticking to the DDs was tough for me and I learned that.

a I eat just for fun and that sort of hunger can be harder to resist that real hunger.
b Aspartame makes me hungry
c You can eat really well and to full and still only take in 250 calories.
b The value of a large salad
e One more mouthful of sugar/carb treats is a butt load of calories and is just not worth it for the hunger you have to go through next day.
f Only eat when you are hungry and cut grains and sugar and processed stuff and you will always naturally "under eat" yet be full, healthy and happy.

I watch my overweight son eat. He grazes, especially at night, only chooses opiate high foods like grains and sugars and never eats a vegetable. He's happiest eating something in a garish wrapper that does not resemble real food. Our children have been hi-jacked by the food industry. Slowly I am breaking his bad habits but it's tough. We have been trained to use food as a drug more than as nourishment.

A month of DDs breaks through all that and teaches us what our bodies really need.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:59 AM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I did not interpret Pat's message as negative to anyone either. I have never experienced metabolic problems ( I don't think) but still gained weight for many of the reasons Pat listed.
NOW I have learned a lot about other people by reading and re reading Mastering Leptin. It certainly addresses those concerns that many people seem to have. Since I am not a night eater, it is hard for me to understand when someone says they can't do this or that because they have to eat before bed. Mastering Leptin explains all of that and more.

So this board has helped me by reading other people's experiences and being able to understand what they are saying based on my other readings. I think I have learned more about weight gain (and loss) from Mastering Leptin than any other book I have read. It has certainly made me more empathetic to those that have a lot to lose and have struggles to accomplish that loss. I see myself as very fortunate that I never had a weight problem until I got pregnant at age 40. I went from 130 up to 190 with DS and spent the last 6 weeks in bed. I have never lost all of that 60 pound gain and have been trying for the past 23 years. Lowest I ever got to was 144.

So for my own personal knowledge base, I enjoy reading all of the individual experiences that are posted here as they help me understand where other people are coming from. And I know I only had 40 pounds to lose when I started and that is nothing for many people. But being over half way through that 40 pounds, I can see the health benefits already starting that I did not realize were holding me back.

Yea for JUDDD and this board to able to have support and learn and share. I have learned a LOT from others.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
Avicenna and So Happy both have it right.

I raise my hand as a person who can gain weight in such similar manners to So Happy's mentions, that I wonder if she knows me in real life!

After reading recent research, however (and I'll mention another good author who herself experienced obesity - Dr. Rachael F. Heller of Carbohydrate Addict research fame), I've learned that our inability to lose weight has become very complicated in recent times, whether we can name a metabolic disorder or not.

Other new studies suggest that high average body weights in developed countries are related to genetic modification of wheat and corn, pesticide usage, and the high acidic levels of processed foods (which causes poor digestion/elimination).

Anyway, a big yes from me to both.
1) losing weight is complicated by many factors, some of which haven't even been known until recently.
2) Gaining weight is all too easy, we need to recognize that, and (especially for processed food) make it a matter of sensible portion control.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Thank you Whitlin. I tend to agree with both as well. I have learned so much about our endocrine sytem lately in my quest to understand my thyroid, hormonal and cortisol issues.

I truly believe JUDDD led me to discover and then research all of this, because until I fasted EOD, I never would have unearthed my own issues. I tip my hat to anyone who loses weight under the complexities of either metabolic issues or by eating processed for that matter.

I know Pat (So Happy) will be the first to say so as well! I appreciate her knowledge and experience.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Wtg on losing again!

This is me, too. I think I do a lot better if I only ballpark my calories on both UD and DD. I can get a little obsessive about the tracking and it kind of takes over my life if I let it. But, when I "let it go" and don't focus so much on the calories, I lose more and I stress less. Then, the cycle goes on because the less stressed me doesn't get frustrated or burned out and turn to food.
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Tanya, I have long envied your tendency to eat under your numbers. God, the MOMENT I stop looking and counting, I begin to eat more and more and more. This doesn't discourage me the way it used to, but some day I'd like to switch brains with you, just to know what it feels like to be unable to eat more when you hit 1300 calories!
Oh please dont envy that!!! It all goes back to my teens....I was anorexic! I would mentally shut down if I had to many calories, then that would lead to running and sit ups and etc etc to burn any extra calories. (Seriously a piece of pizza would have me running 6 miles and doing 200 sit ups!). Back then I would eat 1000 calories and under....mostly around 800 calories a day. I kept a journal back then too. I would drive my parents nuts with my tapping when I would eat, all the exercise, always measuring and all the other little quirks that went with it. The calories I did eat was only because my parents would make me eat after I dropped under 100lbs.

My hitting 1300 calories now and stopping is a product of my past. And when I realized I was doing it again. I decided to stop counting UD calories and only count DD's. Thats why I keep mental note of what I eat, but I wont write it down and I only estimate it. I dont want to go back that path.

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!

Last edited by krow134; 07-24-2012 at 04:23 PM..
Old 07-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I did not interpret Pat's message as negative to anyone either. I have never experienced metabolic problems ( I don't think) but still gained weight for many of the reasons Pat listed.
NOW I have learned a lot about other people by reading and re reading Mastering Leptin. It certainly addresses those concerns that many people seem to have. Since I am not a night eater, it is hard for me to understand when someone says they can't do this or that because they have to eat before bed. Mastering Leptin explains all of that and more.

So this board has helped me by reading other people's experiences and being able to understand what they are saying based on my other readings. I think I have learned more about weight gain (and loss) from Mastering Leptin than any other book I have read. It has certainly made me more empathetic to those that have a lot to lose and have struggles to accomplish that loss. I see myself as very fortunate that I never had a weight problem until I got pregnant at age 40. I went from 130 up to 190 with DS and spent the last 6 weeks in bed. I have never lost all of that 60 pound gain and have been trying for the past 23 years. Lowest I ever got to was 144.

So for my own personal knowledge base, I enjoy reading all of the individual experiences that are posted here as they help me understand where other people are coming from. And I know I only had 40 pounds to lose when I started and that is nothing for many people. But being over half way through that 40 pounds, I can see the health benefits already starting that I did not realize were holding me back.

Yea for JUDDD and this board to able to have support and learn and share. I have learned a LOT from others.
Thank you! I just looked at a sample of this book and am going to get it on my Kindle Fire right now!!! I was reading articles about Leptin resistance today and my interest in the subject was really sparked. Looking just at the chapter titles in this book, I can tell I'm going to learn a lot. I so appreciate you mentioning/recommending it!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Yam Yam
I hope you get as much out of this book as I have. I have stickie notes sticking out all over it so I can find parts I want to read again quickly. There are 5 rules and I go by 4 of them all the time and working on #5 more often. Happy reading.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote