Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 156/156/130 - 5'4", Age: 53
WOE: JUDDD 1900/800 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD restart June 2014
Strategies for Maintaining While On Vacation

I just had to journal my experiment with food and my eating habits while on a mini-vacation this past week. In the past, I always gain back during vacation most of what I have lost in the spring/early summer, and it never leaves again. Then it becomes autumn, and I eat for hibernation I guess , more pounds added. This has been an ongoing HUGE challenge for me every single year for the past 10 years at least. I am determined to be at peace with my eating habits no matter where I am at in life, at work, on vacation, or staying with friends when out of town.

Challenges:
~ Don’t want to drink much water or fluids for car trips and sightseeing--you never know where the next restroom will be...yes, my body does not cooperate the way it used to when I was younger. Normally I drink lots of coffee and water in the morning and just naturally eat less when not on vacation.
~ Having everyone in a celebratory frame of mind, i.e., lots of drinking alcohol...well not really tons, but certainly drinking much more than we normally would consume on a daily basis.
~ Gourmet food abounds. Well not really gourmet, because who wants to cook the day away while on vacation, but we are always trying new fairly easy recipes to wow each other. It’s much cheaper than eating out all the time, tastes better than many restaurants, and you don’t have to worry about coming home from a hike, showering, and going back out. And no worries about having a designated driver either.
~ Sweets abound. One gal we travel with prides herself on the sweets she brings, and rightly so, they are really yummy. And it’s only for a week anyway, so what’s the harm, right?

Changing my attitude and outlook:
That’s what I used to think anyway. Now I realize, and maybe now I am finally ready to deal with, the fact that I come home feeling miserable physically. I feel sluggish, wanting to sleep more during our vacation during the day. Puffy, over-full all the time. Not sleeping well at night because I am too full from dinner and dessert. And clothes fitting way tighter by the time I get home--in just one week?? How does this type of vacation help me rejuvenate and feel better about myself??

This past week was an experiment for next month’s vacation. We went to visit our travel friends at their house in the mountains. Lots of relaxing, sightseeing, a bit of hiking. And lots of food and drink available.

Rising to the Challenges: Strategies for not overindulging on vacation:
~ I had to remind myself that hunger is not an emergency.
~ Mentally I still tried to eat lighter every other day. I did not count calories, just made different choices that I knew would be compatible with a lower calorie day: lower fat, less alcohol, smaller portions.
~ I took cut up veggies with me everywhere we went: Peppers, baby carrots, sugar snap peas, cucumbers. They were always available in the car, for lunch snacks, for in-between meal hunger pangs while hiking.
~ When I filled my plate, I took half of my “normal” portion serving size to start. I only ate more if I was truly hungry, not just because it tasted good.
~ I slowed down my eating, and drank more water with my meals.
~ I had a diet carbonated beverage in the afternoon every day, it helped me feel too full to eat extra food in between meals.
~ I realized I don’t have to eat just because everyone else is. This was an important realization for me for breakfast. It is rare that I eat breakfast before 10 or 12. When you know everyone else is on a different eating schedule, eating as soon as they get up in the morning, you have to plan ahead. I just enjoyed my coffee and had very small portions of what was available, then took veggies with me in case I got hungry before everyone else was ready for lunch.
~ I had a glass of water for each glass of wine I had in the evening.
~ For dessert, I had a small serving to start. Then that would equal one normal portion rather than two if someone insisted I have “seconds”.
~ I still had an extra beer or dessert on the normal calorie days if I wanted, but I made decisions to eat less earlier in the day.
~ I took clothes with me that made me feel really good about myself.
~ When I got dressed in the morning, I focused on how good it felt to have a bit of extra room in my jeans/shorts. I reminded myself at that point about how my decision-making for the day would allow me to feel this good tomorrow.

I realized it’s all about decisions we make, and how we want to feel later in the day or the next day or end of the week.

I know it seems as though this was a lot of work or thought put into this whole process. It was at first. But I am determined to NOT regain my losses this year. With a bit of practice, I am sure it will become second nature and “normal” to make decisions that make me feel good even after I am back from vacation.

Lost 3 pounds from Jan 1 2012 til April 30 2012 by "eating healthy", LC, etc...
Lost 12 pounds from May 1 2012 til September 1 2012 with JUDDD

Down and Up 10-15# every year since 2000 with VLC, semi LC and Carb Cycling
Anticipating forever success with JUDDD!!
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Good Heavens! You're thinking and behaving like a woman who maintains a gorgeous slim trim figure, and we all look at that woman with envy, not understanding that she is slim because she chooses to do the things that promote that weight and help her maintain that slim figure.

You still get to eat lots of yummy food, and delicious meals with your friends. You still get to enjoy drinks and the social happy times with them. You still get to enjoy the sweet desserts that are a part of the fun. You have just added *Another Secret* to your growing store of *JUDDD Magic*... you don't have to overeat in order to have a great time. (Oh.. OK.. maybe we overeat a little on vacations, but that's where we count on JUDDD to have revved us up enough to get away with it for a little while, and to help us shed any gained pounds very quickly once we get home.)

But it's that OVER eating that gets us every time we fall back into our old habits, and that includes drinking way too much too, of course. Once we get it truly in our heads that we don't have to eat like that anymore, even if all around us are making 'you know whats' of themselves, it really does become pretty easy. We get to eat truly well. We don't have to say NO to anything at all, including the most lavish meals and the most heavenly desserts. We just eat all of the luscious food in intelligent portions. We get to eat it ALL, but we don't have to eat ALL OF IT. There's the secret.

Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful time and make many happy memories, and return home with little damage to undo, and be right back into your normal JUDDD life without a hitch. We don't often do Down Days on our vacations. We're just careful not to do too many Up, Up and Away Days.. day after day after day while we're gone. LOL

Last edited by SoHappy; 07-21-2012 at 01:12 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
We get to eat it ALL, but we don't have to eat ALL OF IT. There's the secret. LOL
I love this quote!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
(Oh.. OK.. maybe we overeat a little on vacations, but that's where we count on JUDDD to have revved us up enough to get away with it for a little while, and to help us shed any gained pounds very quickly once we get home.)

We don't often do Down Days on our vacations. We're just careful not to do too many Up, Up and Away Days.. day after day after day while we're gone. LOL
That's been just the problem over the years for me. Way too many Up Up and Away Days with Up Days. Not knowing I was doing this mind you. I just knew after trying so hard at calorie restriction so diligently for most of the year, I would just go kind of crazy and eat all the yummy things on vacation that I "couldn't" have the rest of the year. And I can't believe that in just one short week my clothes would feel too snug to be comfortable. That's why I feel the need for planning so much this year, I still don't quite feel I can trust myself.

And boy am I counting on the metabolism boost from JUDDD to get me through even with a few UUAD's thrown in!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
Words of Wisdom!!

Very good posts!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Great thread!!! Thanks for the insight and ideas!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:06 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erika1962
Stats: 260+/182.2/170-175/5'5/52
WOE: Not low carb, but low crap
Cactusrose, VERY good post! I will take it as a "manual" when I go on vacation in August!
Erika1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:27 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Definitely, and on many levels, words to live by!!!!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Well, my JUDDD BUDS, you read my mind! I am going to Chicago to visit my daughter in her new home-haven't seen my grandson in 1.5 years-and this would be the first prolonged time away from home.DD I know is fine with my "dieting", but to be in a great food town for almost a week is scary.

So I am reading with interest and hoping for lots of ideas. My down day is on travel day so that's good. I ám thinking of going to maintenance Pelee which is about 800/1800 which could work. Thoughts?

I have hardly any net loss this month due to too many UUAD days so I at least want to maintain.

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Scotty said...
So I am reading with interest and hoping for lots of ideas. My down day is on travel day so that's good. I ám thinking of going to maintenance Pelee which is about 800/1800 which could work. Thoughts?

I will say I currently do 700/1900. This way I feel good at work if I get a bit shaky (troubles with hypoglycemia at times). Funny though, just knowing I "can" have the extra calories seems to relax me enough that I tend to eat less, usually staying about 550 on days off work, 600-650 for days at work.

I am so glad some of you found this thread helpful. Yes, looking with great interest for more ideas any of you may have to maintain(ish) our weight and still feel good during vacation and after.

Last edited by cactusrose63; 07-22-2012 at 10:42 AM..
Old 07-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
For me, it still mostly comes down to knowing I don't have to overeat to have a great time. I do little measuring of foods/portions or calorie counting when I am away from home, and I enjoy eating a lot of different foods that I don't eat on an everyday basis, but I'm careful to take small portions of most everything, to split a restaurant meal and put some into a 'take-home' container, rather than to eat it all in one sitting there, etc.

I really always try to focus on the thought that I can eat anything I want to, but I don't need to be eating it in enormous quantities!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Barb, great thread. Thanks.
I've done a ton of travel over my time with Juddd. The strategies change as I change. Do you find that?
My early strategies were all about control.
These days I'm experimenting with whether it's possible to relax and still eat minimally on DDs.
Both have worked well, and both have failed occasionally.
I do love staying with the rotations. I love that base level of structure. (I think of it like being a poet who loves the structure of sonnets. Sometimes structure generates creativity in brand new ways.)
I'm learning lots from this discussion.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Well I am back from holiday with good news to report...

Only up 3 pounds in about 10 days. YES. This is unheard of for me. (The usual is 8-10 pounds!!) I can't even tell you how ecstatic I am!!!

Kristin mentioned strategies changing as we evolve in our thinking and outlook. I have to agree. I went into this vacation with the mindset....how would I like to feel about food and eating if I didn't have to concern myself with the scale? I tried to focus more on how I felt physically related to the food I ate, and when I ate it.

REVELATIONS:
- I realized I don't have to eat just because others are, especially breakfast.
- I don't have to eat it all in one sitting.
- It's okay to have leftovers, even if they never get eaten.
- I can share with others rather than keeping a treat all for myself (oooh, I DO sound like a selfish one, no??).
- It's okay to eat even if others are not. I took snacks with me and ate them when I wanted, even if we were going to "stop for lunch soon".
- I don't have to drink a beer, etc, just because every one else is. Sometimes I had a Pellegrino water with lime because that's what I really wanted--it was refreshing and that's what I was looking for. By the end of the week, others were drinking less alcohol too I noticed.
- I don't have to eat extra just because someone else insists I help finish what is left. I just say I am happy with how I feel and don't want to have any more right now, but thank you.

I also did put on clothes in the morning and remember how good they felt to wear, a bit loose, nice. And I wanted to continue that good feeling throughout the day. I took my tape measure with me, and checked it a couple of times like Barb (BabsBabs) suggested, and that helped too.

But I really just tried to eat only when really hungry and ate what I would enjoy the most and ate only until I was comfortable. Maybe a couple of times I had an extra helping of dessert in the evening and regretted it, then adjusted what I had the next evening, once again trying to focus on how I felt physically.

All in all I feel as though this was a huge challenge for me. I have over the years come to almost dread going on vacation if you can even imagine that! But I feel as though I coped quite well this time around--certainly that I have not arrived--still very hesitant about trusting myself--but I do feel as though I have made progress in this area of my life. YES. Less obsessing and more enjoying is good.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Barb, this is beautiful to read. Thanks.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
I wanna be you when I grow up, Barb!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Just reread this post from last year to get me ready for vacation next month. I have been maintaining on the high side of my maintenance range so I need to reign it in again so I feel really good on vacation. Just when I thought I had this thing licked I realize I am feeling a bit puffy these days and I have soooo not arrived! Every day truly is a challenge. This is a good thing because every day before JUDDD used to be a STRUGGLE.

Refocusing now. Got caught up on the NSV thread for motivation.

I hope this thread helps someone this year the way you have all helped me! all my JUDDD buds!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I was glad to read this to help me prepare for my mother-in-laws visit next month. I think there will be the same sort of atmosphere as a vacation, and I am trying to come up with strategies. You've got some good stuff here. Thanks.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grammyw/kitties
Stats: I am 170.2
WOE: I am starting IF leaning towards locarb
Start Date: Starting Dec 20,2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
I wanna be you when I grow up, Barb!
ME TOO!! thanks for the thoughts. I am right now struggling with vacation and this will help I am sure. Glad you did well
grammyw/kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I often wonder where the JUDDDers are now that I read about. I hope they are still enjoying this wonderful WOL.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #19
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Wow what a great post!!!

It's so exciting when the light bulb goes off isn't it? Congrats on maintaining through this past year. That is huge!!! And you know, your goal weight is only a couple of DDs away! It's so wild how JUDDDing has the ability to help us create new neural pathways and to develop new relationships with food.

It truly is a healing lifestyle in my opinion. I remember when Pat and some of the other old timers would talk about how they looked forward to the break that comes from DDs. I know I use that thought often. And it's so true. I find when eating full meals every day, I get to the point of just feeling "unwell" and so full all the time.

The other point you made that is so cool is that "hunger is not an emergency." That thought has saved my skin more times than I can count! Also knowing that if you don't feed it, hunger pangs peak and ebb in 10-20 minute cycles.

I'm excited to hear how this year's vacation goes for you. I have no doubts you will triumph!!!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:58 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 11-1-14 175.5/
Start Date: May 2013
Such great words of wisdom about vacation and food. I identify with the old way of thinking - that I would come home after a week and my pants were too tight. It is a very good idea to visualize each morning as you pull on those pants - take the time to remind yourself why you want to continue to feel good and healthy. Retrain your brain. Thank you for sharing and reviving this thread - a great read.

And Congratulations on your success this year on vacation!

Last edited by Goner; 07-19-2013 at 05:04 AM..
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sloppail
Start Date: JUDDD Restart May 20 2014
This is such a great thread with so many truths...I could have wrote every word of the OP...thanks so much for this Barb

Kim
sloppail is offline   Reply With Quote