Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CaTriGirl
WOE: hhcg
Do you have to eat ALL UD calories?

Hi everyone! Third UD here, I've had to force 700 calories down my throat because I'm not hungry at all!! 900 more to go!!! Sigh!

This is a blessing to not be hungry on DD but do I need to force myself to eat on UD so this will work? I'm just looking to lose 5-10 (yes, I keep adding more to lose . ) Then keep up JUDDD to maintain.

Thanks foe your input!
CaTriGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Opinions differ on this, but most agreement seems to come around the concept that you need to have a good spread between your up day and down day calories. At least 1000 calories is the number most frequently mentioned. You don't want to have a 500 calorie DD and then a 700 calorie UD.

Some will say that they try to get all their calories in, others say they fall short on a regular basis and it doesn't hurt their losses.

I personally try to get all the calories in. Sometimes, tragically, that means I need to go for a hot fudge sundae but somehow I manage that sacrifice.

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #3

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
This is a question that seems to have three differing answers, and all of them correct for different people. Here are the answers to your question about having to eat all of your UD calories: 1. YES * 2. NO * 3. MAYBE

For some folks, despite appetite, if they don't eat fairly close to their UD calorie ceiling number, their metabolism slows down to the point where they are no longer losing much/any weight. So if they don't eat their UD calories, for the most part, most days, JUDDD doesn't work for them

For others, they lose weight just fine when their UD calories don't nearly reach that UD number they were given by the JUDDD Calorie Calculator. And, at least it isn't reported, that they suffer from slowed metabolism, although the way the body seems to be designed to work, usually as we hold to low calories every single day, our metabolism is geared to slow to about that calorie number. It all balances out, but at a lower calorie number than we may want to have to live at for the rest of our lives. LOL

For many of us, by respecting our UD and DD calorie numbers and eating to them on our JUDDD cycle, our body has had the nourishment to heal what ails it from the nourishment we give ourselves on our UDs, as it is able to rest and repair itself from the break it is given on our scant DDs. So you do have to realize that since you are eating very, very few calories on your DDs, the nutrition you get on your UDs becomes twice as important!!! If you can cover all of your nutritional needs with low DDs and pretty low UDs too... well, give it a try and see what happens if you want to. I'm one who encourages everyone to try sticking to the given numbers for a few weeks first, before making a bunch of changes to the numbers and re-designing JUDDD yourself.

I do believe, however, that there are a few people who have exceedingly slow metabolisms. Period. Their calorie needs are simply not remotely in sync with the calorie numbers given as the standard by the Calorie Calculators in abundant use everywhere. So for these people, sad as it sounds, they can't eat the calories that even most dieting people are allowed. If they cut their calories down, it's still too high!!! They eat at a terribly low calorie number almost every single day, and don't lose weight on it because their own metabolism is already set so low. They say that cutting calories doesn't result in any weight loss for them, because their cuts only bring them down to maintenance levels. For them, they have to cut even lower. Scary and sad.

That's one of the reasons we try to get in most of our UD calories on most of our UDs... to try to goad our metabolisms into revving up and operating at a better clip! That's our desire, but it can't seem to happen when our DDs are so exceedingly low calories AND when our UDs are pretty darned low calorie too. That scenario just seems to lower our metabolism overall. Just the opposite of what we want to have happen to us any more than it already is.

May I ask if you are eating a diet of extremely low carbohydrate? That sometimes brings our appetite down so low that it's almost unpleasant to take in the nutrition we need for the long haul. It doesn't seem to speed up our weight loss. It just sometimes slows our metabolisms down to the pace of a slug.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Loca View Post
Opinions differ on this, but most agreement seems to come around the concept that you need to have a good spread between your up day and down day calories. At least 1000 calories is the number most frequently mentioned. You don't want to have a 500 calorie DD and then a 700 calorie UD.

Some will say that they try to get all their calories in, others say they fall short on a regular basis and it doesn't hurt their losses.

I personally try to get all the calories in. Sometimes, tragically, that means I need to go for a hot fudge sundae but somehow I manage that sacrifice.
What we won't suffer for weight loss!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
According to the book, you don't need to eat all the UD cals but in order to avoid doing straight up cal restriction, there needs to be a spread.

I can't remember if the 1000 cal is suggested by Dr J but it is a good idea just for keeping w the difference in UD/DD.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I think the "1000 calorie spread" is something people have come up with here on this forum.
Several people who have the book have mentioned that they can't find this particular suggestion.
I'm not trying to discredit it...I think it's GOOD that we all put our experiences together and come up with ideas! But as far as I know, it doesn't come from Dr J.

We discussed this recently:
What Dr Johnson says about UD calories

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-19-2012 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: grammar
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrannyPants
Stats: Weigh 2 much Age 53
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: June 19 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Loca View Post
Oh the tragedy!!!!! I want to feel your pain.

-----------
Mere
GrannyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/152/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
I try earnestly to eat *most* of my UD calories but find that I lose best if I stay maybe a few hundred calories under my range. I've lowered my range several times to around 1700 to 1800 when I'm just not hungry and have only seen benefits on the scale. I'm sure if I lowered them much more than that, I might have problems. Try to get most of them in, but I certainly don't think you have to be stuffed.
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all for taking the time to post! Great insight! I will do my best to get all my calories in.....makes sense! And if I have to make the ultimate sacrifice, and go for a sundae......well, that's a price I am willing to pay! LOL

I will try to keep to the book with calories & eat healthy for the first month, then play around if I need to change things a bit.

Thanks again for all your fabulous input!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post

May I ask if you are eating a diet of extremely low carbohydrate? That sometimes brings our appetite down so low that it's almost unpleasant to take in the nutrition we need for the long haul. It doesn't seem to speed up our weight loss. It just sometimes slows our metabolisms down to the pace of a slug.
So happy - I'm not sure, I don't think my carbs are extremely low, they are 50-100 grams. I've never done Atkins so I'm not sure what is considered low. I eat fruit & veggies & will be adding quinua And maybe brown rice in a few weeks for breakfast. But mostly, I stay away from bread & anything processed.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:08 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
It really varies with individual metabolisms.

I suggest you use an online calculator to figure your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR). That is approximately the number of calories your body burns each day if you do nothing.

Dr J says, in general, each person's magic UD is somewhere in the RMR =- (14% RMR) range. You will find your UD calories are about RMR + (14% RMR).

I encourage you to begin by sticking as close to UD calculations as possible. But, over time, experiment to find what is best for you.

Oh, and in March I managed to accidentally fall below RMR - 14% on most of my UDs. I stalled all of March.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/171/140, 5'4", 61yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyPants View Post
Oh the tragedy!!!!! I want to feel your pain.

-----------
Mere
Me too!
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I am transitioning from LC with calorie control to pure JUDDD and trying to slowly increase my Carbs and Calories on UP days. Let's see where I will settle! I would prefer the freedom to be able to eat as much as my RMR on my UP days, so that I can have that sundae!

Oh, did I tell you I love the very informative and supportive JUDDDers!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdforshort View Post
I am transitioning from LC with calorie control to pure JUDDD and trying to slowly increase my Carbs and Calories on UP days. Let's see where I will settle! I would prefer the freedom to be able to eat as much as my RMR on my UP days, so that I can have that sundae!

Oh, did I tell you I love the very informative and supportive JUDDDers!
It's pretty fun! In fact, it's so very, very nice that I keep forgetting that it is such a healing benefit to our physical bodies, and for many of us, it seems to put our mental selves in a much happier and stable state.. not so cranky-feeling, irritable, and even snappish, etc., which many of us end up feeling when we do very low carb for awhile.

The one thing that happens to us a lot on JUDDD - if we eat at those higher carb levels that we weren't allowed on our standard low carb plans - is that we get a WHOLE LOT MORE weight fluctuation showing up as several pounds in either direction on the scale! That fluctuating water weight gain and/or loss can really throw a monkey wrench into our confidence of whether we're truly losing weight or not. If I've gained water weight, I don't really care.. if it's not body FAT, but at the same time, I can't tell on the scale if I've lot body fat if I've also gained some water weight because I had a supper heavier in carbs last evening. LOL That's why I recommend weighing each morning, empty, and tracking that weight, but getting the average for the week each Saturday, and then comparing that average with the average weight from the weeks before. That overlooks the fluctuations that are so common and even expected on JUDDD, and does give us a better idea of how we're doing as the weeks go by.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I love using those Lindt truffle balls (black only) to incr cals. Don't have to think about it 4 for .96 at the check out. Sure I could buy just a couple at .24 each but I hate confusing the checker.

So back to the 1000 cal subject; It may very well not be a Dr J recommendation but it is a great tool to keep one from getting UD/DD too close if one has no appetite. Also good for vacationing/road trips, etc.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Everyone is different regarding UD calories. I am frequently under, but make an effort for 1 UD during the week to eat up as close as I can. I am not good at forcing myself to eat if I'm just not hungry and a lot of high cal sugary snacks are not good for my diabetes, but I like to eat out so at least 1 UD a week I go out somewhere that I just love and eat up.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
It's pretty fun! In fact, it's so very, very nice that I keep forgetting that it is such a healing benefit to our physical bodies, and for many of us, it seems to put our mental selves in a much happier and stable state.. not so cranky-feeling, irritable, and even snappish, etc., which many of us end up feeling when we do very low carb for awhile.

The one thing that happens to us a lot on JUDDD - if we eat at those higher carb levels that we weren't allowed on our standard low carb plans - is that we get a WHOLE LOT MORE weight fluctuation showing up as several pounds in either direction on the scale! That fluctuating water weight gain and/or loss can really throw a monkey wrench into our confidence of whether we're truly losing weight or not. If I've gained water weight, I don't really care.. if it's not body FAT, but at the same time, I can't tell on the scale if I've lot body fat if I've also gained some water weight because I had a supper heavier in carbs last evening. LOL That's why I recommend weighing each morning, empty, and tracking that weight, but getting the average for the week each Saturday, and then comparing that average with the average weight from the weeks before. That overlooks the fluctuations that are so common and even expected on JUDDD, and does give us a better idea of how we're doing as the weeks go by.
SoHappy,Thank you so much for the advice, I'll keep that in mind as I encounter these hiccups! Talking of weighing each morning, that's how Dr J shows in the graph in his book. I need to buy a digital scale in order to track my weight better as I have the old fashion kind that swings the needle with slightest shift and no ounces! Any recommendations? I was reading the reviews on line and boy, do they vary or what!
Old 07-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdforshort View Post
SoHappy,Thank you so much for the advice, I'll keep that in mind as I encounter these hiccups! Talking of weighing each morning, that's how Dr J shows in the graph in his book. I need to buy a digital scale in order to track my weight better as I have the old fashion kind that swings the needle with slightest shift and no ounces! Any recommendations? I was reading the reviews on line and boy, do they vary or what!
I'll leave that up to those in the know, and that certainly isn't me. I just have a plain old Health-O-Meter digital scale. It does the body fat percentage and will track two people and keep their stats, etc..... But I don't do any of that. All I use it for is just the morning weight every day. After that, I just don't care. But it seems to be quite accurate, and so it works just fine to let me know whether I'm maintaining within my range, which is what I use it for.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

I have a Weight Watchers scale that has a bunch of bells and wistles, but I don't use all those fancy things. It weighs to the .0, .1, .2, .3- .9 I find that helpful. I'm probably one of the few JUDDD Buddds that has very mini bounces between UDs and DDs, but the trend is always down. So that being said I can tell a great deal about what is going on with me since my scale shows tiny increments. The scale I had before only had .0 and .5 that was not that helpful for me.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Old 07-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberino
Stats: 235/141 50 yo
WOE: Atkins/now JUDDD
Start Date: 3 '09 Atkins-3 '12 JUDDD
After reading everyone's opinions on eating to UD calories as set by the Dr J calculator, I decided to stick to my numbers. I love to eat and I didn't want to train my body to have to settle for lower calories to maintain. I've also read a post or two from a very long-time JUDDDer who had to restrict their UD and even asked Dr J about it. Seems like everyone is different in what their bodies function on. So in other words, what Pat said so eloquently! Good luck!
kimberino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Pat & Carly, thank you both. I'll check out what they have at local Wal Mart or Bed & Bath. I don't want a bells and whistles one either just an accurate one and increments of .1,.2 etc will do nicely. Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2012, 05:15 AM   #22

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
So much help here as always. You are all the best.

I have always tried to eat up to my UD cals, and since reaching maintainence I really push them up sometimes.

I remember when I was a Newbie reading a post from Pat describing her wide choice of wonderful nourishing foods and thinking, "I want that freedom again".

So that is when I edged away from 11 years of LC eating and truly embraced the freedom of JUDDD.

Thanks again Pat, so lovely to see you back. X
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond- The Weight Watchers scale.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
So much help here as always. You are all the best.

I have always tried to eat up to my UD cals, and since reaching maintainence I really push them up sometimes.

I remember when I was a Newbie reading a post from Pat describing her wide choice of wonderful nourishing foods and thinking, "I want that freedom again".

So that is when I edged away from 11 years of LC eating and truly embraced the freedom of JUDDD.

Thanks again Pat, so lovely to see you back. X
Good to hear this Cindy as I was really oscillating about increasing my cal and carb intake. I have to admit that since I started consciously upping my intake the weight loss is a tad bit lower than previous weeks but worth the freedom! So Cindy, did you increase Carb too?

Last edited by jdforshort; 07-21-2012 at 12:08 PM..
Old 07-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond- The Weight Watchers scale.
OK, Carly, thanks. I'll check that out today!