Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Been reading about liquid chlorophyll

Ever since Beverly aka Sungoddess talked about the health benefits of liquid chlorophyll I've been drinking it and really enjoying it.

So, tonight I decided to read some articles from reputable web sites. Not sure if I am allowed to say which site this came from but here is a quote

"Health benefits of liquid chlorophyll

Chlorophyll is a natural substance that is responsible for the green color of plants and leaves. Chlorophyll absorbs the sun’s energy in order to allow plants to carry out photosynthesis. Chlorophyll is rich in magnesium, copper, iron, protein, vitamin A, potassium, sodium, calcium, vitamin E, lithium, phosphorus, zinc and a number of other essential nutrients. It is often said that chlorophyll in plants works like blood does in the human body. They may be similar in composition as well, except for the difference in the core nutrient – magnesium in chlorophyll, and iron in human blood. The findings of such similarities in chemical composition have confirmed that chlorophyll can have benefits in the human body.

The primary source of dietary chlorophyll is green leafy vegetables. However, most of the chlorophyll in plants is lost during the cooking process, ultimately leaving a very little amount that is not enough to provide any significant health benefits. Therefore it is better to obtain chlorophyll from dietary supplements. These dietary supplements can be found either in the form of tablets or in the form of liquid.

Liquid chlorophyll is known to have a number of benefits for the human body. Liquid chlorophyll is easier to absorb in the blood stream than is liquid chlorophyll. It works as a tonic, and neutralizes toxins in the blood, thus purifying it. One of the most significant benefits of all is its role in the growth of red blood cells. It enhances the work of hemoglobin in our blood and helps to replenish the amount of red blood cells in our body. By doing so, it aids in the growth and maintenance of tissues, and helps to heal wounds more effectively. It is an antiseptic, and inhibits the growth of bacteria in the body.

Chlorophyll helps to stimulate the red blood cells, and improves oxygen circulation in the blood and around the body. It aids in the rapid delivery of magnesium, a highly alkalizing effect that helps the blood to transport oxygen to the cells and tissues of the body. Liquid chlorophyll also possesses anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties – it contains Vitamins A, C and E that are helpful in reducing inflammation. It destroys the free radicals that can harm the body’s immune system. Liquid chlorophyll protects and stimulates the body’s immune system, thus improving the body’s natural healing process.

Chlorophyll is known to neutralize the polluted air that is breathed in the body every day, thus making it a good supplement for smokers. Liquid chlorophyll contains anti-carcinogenic characteristics as well. It is known to inhibit the metabolism of procarcinogens in the body and decrease the carcinogen’s ability to bind and damage DNA found in major organs of the body. Liquid chlorophyll is also an effective deodorizer against bad breath, urine, fecal waste, and body odor. Because chlorophyll detoxifies the body, it eliminates substances that cause unpleasant smells in body wastes.

Another benefit of chlorophyll is in chelating toxic metals and heavy minerals in the body, such as mercury and calcium. It may also be helpful in treating calcium oxalate stone disease, as it can break down calcium stones. Liquid chlorophyll energizes the body. It gets rid of harmful chemicals, and provides numerous health benefits. It is safe to administer, and is non-toxic and soothing for the body. The liquid dietary supplement is widely available in many drugstores, and at affordable prices. One of such supplements is Dr. Young’s ChloropHeal, a dense and tasteless source of liquid chlorophyll, which can be taken with any drinks to give the body its much needed supply of chlorophyll.

There have been no reported side-effects of liquid chlorophyll as yet. However, when buying supplements as such, it is important to look for natural chlorophyll extract that is free from artificial coloring and flavorings. Natural chlorophyll extract in liquid form is easily absorbed, heals the body naturally, and helps to build a stronger immune system."

"Chlorophyll – Made from high quality alfalfa. A good source of antioxidants. Efficiently delivers magnesium to the cells. Helps the blood transport oxygen to cells and tissues as well as remove carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide."

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<276/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Awesome, thank you!
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:07 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
VERY interesting. Keep 'em coming! (I am jealous. Life seems to be taking all of my time these days. I want to time to research!)
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

So I have a question: When it says that chlorophyll helps break down calcium stones, does that mean kidney stones? I remember some discussions on this forum from peeps who had painful stones. Wouldn't it be great if this could be another weapon for relief for them?

Nancy: I would go through total withdrawal if I couldn't suck up some new info when I need it. "My name is Yam-Yam and I am an info-aholic!"
Old 07-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I have to wonder about this line: " Liquid chlorophyll is easier to absorb in the blood stream than is liquid chlorophyll." Um,

Cool info though. Calcium stones are one type of kidney stones. Sadly, I get the goathead sticker looking uric acid stones. Ugh.

I've been thinking about getting some chlorophyll. Any suggestions on where to purchase it, brands, cost, etc.?
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I have to wonder about this line: " Liquid chlorophyll is easier to absorb in the blood stream than is liquid chlorophyll." Um,

Cool info though. Calcium stones are one type of kidney stones. Sadly, I get the goathead sticker looking uric acid stones. Ugh.

I've been thinking about getting some chlorophyll. Any suggestions on where to purchase it, brands, cost, etc.?
I saw that line too and figured it was a typo. Liquid chlorophyll is made from 100% pure alfalfa. My personal trainer is big on taking alfalfa tablets and recommended a brand. I bought them and you are supposed to take 4 of them 3 times a day.

I cannot swallow those pills! Neither can my DDIL. They are scratchy and very dry and stick in my throat. I tried crushing them with a pestle and mortar and stirring them in water. But, soon realized the powder was sinking to the bottom and won't mix with water. The bottle says to take with food. That makes me think they only dissolve in fat.

From my research, I read that you should try to get 100% chlorophyll (with no glycerin). Netrition sells the brand I got at a health food store. It's called DeSouza and is in a 16 ounce bottle. It's pure chlorophyll and water. That's all.

Be aware it's very green and messy if you spill it. I put my glass of ice water (16 ounces) on a paper plate and put another paper plate beside it to catch any possible drips from the bottle. Then I measure out one tablespoon and stir it in. Sometimes I also squeeze lemon in it. I've also added it to mango iced tea.

I find the taste of it very refreshing. My DDIL thinks it tastes like regular iced tea.

After you consume it every day for several days, get ready for your "output" to be a greenish color. that seems as it should be, right?

Anyway, I'm psyched about all the potential benefits. I should try to find Beverly's post about it. It was awesome and broke a stall she was having on the scale so it seems to be good for regulating water retention in addition to all the other good things.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

BTW: You need to keep it in the fridge.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Thank you Yam-Yam! I will be keeping an eye out for it. If I can't find it locally, I'll add to my next Netrition order.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
The primary source of dietary chlorophyll is green leafy vegetables. However, most of the chlorophyll in plants is lost during the cooking process, ultimately leaving a very little amount that is not enough to provide any significant health benefits. Therefore it is better to obtain chlorophyll from dietary supplements.
Sounds like a blurb from a supplement manufacturer. I can't think of a single research study that supports the argument that we absorb any nutrient better from a supplement than from a whole food.

Chlorophyll benefits are yet another great reason to eat a cup or two of salad (or lightly steamed green veggies) each day.

Brief steaming of greens actually increases the amount of chlorophyll that your body can absorb.

Last edited by tiva; 07-19-2012 at 08:49 AM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
Sounds like a blurb from a supplement manufacturer. I can't think of a single research study that supports the argument that we absorb any nutrient better from a supplement than from a whole food.

Chlorophyll benefits, if true, would be great support for eating a cup or two of salad (or other raw green veggies) each day.
You are so right. Apparently cooking green veggies disperses the chlorophyll. So, it's much better to eat them raw.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

The web site I got this from was a health site. They were not selling anything. There were other health and med sites that I trust and they all were gung ho for liquid chlorophyll. So, I'm feeling good about it and will tell you in a few weeks if I'm still loving it and if I think it's doing me good.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
This is interesting! I was taking something for chelation...I can't remember. I think I have some chlorophyll though. I'll have to look at taking that again...

Yam-Yam. I took "Sarah's Key" out of the library (along with "Unbroken," but that one took longer to get - need to pick it up still) because you mentioned them in a post. Thank you for the recommendation. Wow. What a story.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
This is interesting! I was taking something for chelation...I can't remember. I think I have some chlorophyll though. I'll have to look at taking that again...

Yam-Yam. I took "Sarah's Key" out of the library (along with "Unbroken," but that one took longer to get - need to pick it up still) because you mentioned them in a post. Thank you for the recommendation. Wow. What a story.
So glad you did! What a story, indeed! Those are two stories I'll never forget. "Unbroken" is coming out in 2013 as a movie by Universal Studios. Can't wait to see who plays Louie. "Sarah's Key" is already a movie and DH and I rented it from Redbox. In addition to just how dramatic and moving those stories are, I could not help thinking about how I, as an overweight person, obsess so much about when and how much and what to eat.

We get so much info overload about "starvation mode" and which micro-nutrients we need; percentages of this and that and how many servings of certain foods like veggies are absolutely essential every day.

Um, excuse me? How about a raw albatros a couple of times in the span of 47 days? How about escaping from a starvation camp and eating berries until you puke?

And now, all this research about CR is saying it can extend out life span. Louie is 95 years old now! He definitely had years of CR, not of his own choosing!!! Oh, and can you exercise on DD's? How about digging in the coal mines every day with only a crust of bread??

It may sound stupid to be thinking about those things in the middle of those intense stories. But, that's how my mind works sometimes. Part of me felt ashamed of myself for the abundance I have. Being married to a veteran and war hero, I also became intensely grateful for the sacrifices made so I and my children can live the blessed and free life we live.

Off on a tangient now! Oops! Don't get me started when it comes to books I'm passionate about! lol!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:

From my research, I read that you should try to get 100% chlorophyll (with no glycerin). Netrition sells the brand I got at a health food store. It's called DeSouza and is in a 16 ounce bottle. It's pure chlorophyll and water. That's all.

Be aware it's very green and messy if you spill it. I put my glass of ice water (16 ounces) on a paper plate and put another paper plate beside it to catch any possible drips from the bottle. Then I measure out one tablespoon and stir it in. Sometimes I also squeeze lemon in it. I've also added it to mango iced tea.

I find the taste of it very refreshing. My DDIL thinks it tastes like regular iced tea.

Anyway, I'm psyched about all the potential benefits. I should try to find Beverly's post about it. It was awesome and broke a stall she was having on the scale so it seems to be good for regulating water retention in addition to all the other good things.
That's the brand I use too, and I keep it in the refrigerator. I have been feeling much better since drinking this daily. I also eat green veges, but not enough. I don't believe any supplement is a miracle, and not all work for everyone, but this is helping me. I have more energy when I take it, and it helps give me a full feeling so I don't have the issues with hunger I was starting to experience. I have also added it to iced tea with lemon. Tastes clean to me.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
So glad you did! What a story, indeed! Those are two stories I'll never forget. "Unbroken" is coming out in 2013 as a movie by Universal Studios. Can't wait to see who plays Louie. "Sarah's Key" is already a movie and DH and I rented it from Redbox. In addition to just how dramatic and moving those stories are, I could not help thinking about how I, as an overweight person, obsess so much about when and how much and what to eat.

We get so much info overload about "starvation mode" and which micro-nutrients we need; percentages of this and that and how many servings of certain foods like veggies are absolutely essential every day.

Um, excuse me? How about a raw albatros a couple of times in the span of 47 days? How about escaping from a starvation camp and eating berries until you puke?

And now, all this research about CR is saying it can extend out life span. Louie is 95 years old now! He definitely had years of CR, not of his own choosing!!! Oh, and can you exercise on DD's? How about digging in the coal mines every day with only a crust of bread??

It may sound stupid to be thinking about those things in the middle of those intense stories. But, that's how my mind works sometimes. Part of me felt ashamed of myself for the abundance I have. Being married to a veteran and war hero, I also became intensely grateful for the sacrifices made so I and my children can live the blessed and free life we live.

Off on a tangient now! Oops! Don't get me started when it comes to books I'm passionate about! lol!
Don't worry about the tanget! I just got a library card (so behind the times!) and I've been looking for books to read besides my usual workout, eating, and Jennifer Weiner books. I loved that book and cried through most of it. Man, the things these people went through is amazing to me. You are so right about everything you said. Sometimes, I don't even know what real problems are.

I am looking forward to reading Unbroken, although I know that's going to be another tough read. Thank you for the book recs! After Unbroken, I'm going to be reading Stephanie Dray's book, and I'm excited about that one! I'm glad she's here and enjoying JUDDD.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
That's the brand I use too, and I keep it in the refrigerator. I have been feeling much better since drinking this daily. I also eat green veges, but not enough. I don't believe any supplement is a miracle, and not all work for everyone, but this is helping me. I have more energy when I take it, and it helps give me a full feeling so I don't have the issues with hunger I was starting to experience. I have also added it to iced tea with lemon. Tastes clean to me.
Beverly: I'm glad you mentioned the energy part. I was wondering if that was all in my head but now I'm thinking it all must be tied in with the boost to our immune system and increased blood flow and oxygen in the blood and to the cells. I like that it's a total body deoderizer. I don't think I've ever had a problem with bad breath or anything, but now my breath smells uber fresh. Love it!(that's me breathing on you!)
Old 07-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
Don't worry about the tanget! I just got a library card (so behind the times!) and I've been looking for books to read besides my usual workout, eating, and Jennifer Weiner books. I loved that book and cried through most of it. Man, the things these people went through is amazing to me. You are so right about everything you said. Sometimes, I don't even know what real problems are.

I am looking forward to reading Unbroken, although I know that's going to be another tough read. Thank you for the book recs! After Unbroken, I'm going to be reading Stephanie Dray's book, and I'm excited about that one! I'm glad she's here and enjoying JUDDD.
I read Sarah's Key sitting on my time share lanai over looking the most beautiful beach and ocean view ever. (I have one of the pictures I clicked posted on my profile page photos). We were in Maui and it was last September. What a contrast, huh? How blessed I am. The timeshare had a "take one leave one" well stocked library. I decided I would leave Sarah's Key there for someone else to discover.

Instead there was a woman who had just arrived for her week and she was scouring the shelves. I said hi and asked her if she was looking for a good read. Yes! I handed her the book and told her she would never forget it and it might change her heart in unforgettable ways. She thanked me and skipped away to the beach hugging the book.

What would we do without great authors, huh? I am going to read Stephanie's books, too. My DDIL just gave me a thick novel and I have not started it yet but will soon. I'll let you know if you should put it on your list!
Old 07-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/155.4/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Thanks for the thread- an awesome nutrition supplement AND some great book recommendations... only on the JUDDD board can you get those two!

I am totally going to add chlorophyll to DH and my supplements. He begrudgingly agreed to try some vitamins- we are both taking 5-HTP, fish oil and a multi daily, and I also take a mag/cal/potassium combo, and now he brags to his friends about how much better he feels like it was all his idea! He will be SUPER excited about some green stuff too...
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
Thanks for the thread- an awesome nutrition supplement AND some great book recommendations... only on the JUDDD board can you get those two!

I am totally going to add chlorophyll to DH and my supplements. He begrudgingly agreed to try some vitamins- we are both taking 5-HTP, fish oil and a multi daily, and I also take a mag/cal/potassium combo, and now he brags to his friends about how much better he feels like it was all his idea! He will be SUPER excited about some green stuff too...
I have not added it to a protein shake or smoothie yet but one of these days I will. I just like the refreshing taste of it mixed with water or tea or lemon water/tea so that's what I'm doing right now. It truly is a "green" drink.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I read Sarah's Key sitting on my time share lanai over looking the most beautiful beach and ocean view ever. (I have one of the pictures I clicked posted on my profile page photos). We were in Maui and it was last September. What a contrast, huh? How blessed I am. The timeshare had a "take one leave one" well stocked library. I decided I would leave Sarah's Key there for someone else to discover.

Instead there was a woman who had just arrived for her week and she was scouring the shelves. I said hi and asked her if she was looking for a good read. Yes! I handed her the book and told her she would never forget it and it might change her heart in unforgettable ways. She thanked me and skipped away to the beach hugging the book.

What would we do without great authors, huh? I am going to read Stephanie's books, too. My DDIL just gave me a thick novel and I have not started it yet but will soon. I'll let you know if you should put it on your list!
Thank you!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<276/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post

Chlorophyll benefits are yet another great reason to eat a cup or two of salad (or lightly steamed green veggies) each day.

Brief steaming of greens actually increases the amount of chlorophyll that your body can absorb.
Quote:
You are so right. Apparently cooking green veggies disperses the chlorophyll. So, it's much better to eat them raw.
Tiva's saying it's better to eat them *lightly* cooked. Not raw. Right?
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Tiva,

What about spinach? Romaine? I love both raw. Most of my other green veggies are steamed and grilled. Asparagus, green beans, peas.

I wonder if anyone knows if Source Naturals Yaeyama Chlorella is okay?
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
Start Date: March, 2009
Quote:
Liquid chlorophyll is made from 100% pure alfalfa. My personal trainer is big on taking alfalfa tablets and recommended a brand. I bought them and you are supposed to take 4 of them 3 times a day.

I cannot swallow those pills! Neither can my DDIL. They are scratchy and very dry and stick in my throat. I tried crushing them with a pestle and mortar and stirring them in water. But, soon realized the powder was sinking to the bottom and won't mix with water.
If anyone needs a high-quality, easy-to-swallow alfalfa supplement, I would certainly recommend the alfalfa I take - it's in capsules that Teresa Tapp (T-Tapp) sells on her site. Easy as pie to swallow, with hundreds of recommendations posted on her forum over many years. It's called "Premium Blended Alfalfa". It's all-organic, no pesticides, and the protein content is high because it's minimally processed.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Both raw and lightly steamed are great. Spinach and some others have more chlorophyll available when lightly steamed. But if you prefer them raw, eat up!
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote