Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Two Weeks on JUDDD: I'm a Big Fat Believer

Well, the results are in. I have lost a total of 9.6 lbs since starting JUDDD fourteen days ago, which averages out to a whopping five pounds a week if I round up.

That may be my all-time fastest rate of loss on any diet before, including Fen-Phen. And I did it while going to multiple social events and eating all kinds of foods I enjoy within my calorie limits including ice cream sundaes with hot fudge, the occasional potato, and pasta.

Now, I'm not going to lie. There were some tough times, as I outlined in my one week review. I think people starting this WOE need to come prepared for the fact that those early days can be truly awful. But it does get better by an order of magnitude.

Of course, not all bodies are the same. Some don't experience hunger as pain, some of us do. Actual, physical, cramping pain. Perhaps this helps explain why some people need to lose fifty pounds and some people need to lose one-hundred and fifty. At any rate, the difference between hunger pains and hunger pangs has been demonstrated to me vividly over the course of this experiment. Sometimes I still experience irritation and hunger on down days and it's difficult to resist, but I don't experience pain anymore.

Even if I did, the rate of return on that investment is too high for me to give up on it. This has been amazing and I've had a few Down Days that were relatively easy.

Here are some things I've experienced:

Making peace with calorie counting. Sure, I don't like measuring and counting the calories of every little morsel that goes into my mouth but I'd have to be aware of calories on any diet to lose any appreciable weight. I know some people don't do this on up days, but I don't trust myself yet or my body. Me and my body have let me down before. So we're on probation! However, I'm at peace with it because I went to a luncheon this week during which I could only guess at the calories in the crudest way and it doesn't seem to have tripped me up at all. That was peaceful, to realize I could do the best I can, and it would probably be good enough.

Re-discovering Real Foods. There are some low-fat or low-carb products I eat because they are tasty and I have them around the house anyway. Carba Nada pasta is good enough to kill a pasta craving, so why not? Laughing Cow is actually delicious, so why not? Sugar Free Coconut Ice Cream is wonderful and refreshing, so why use the extra calories on the real thing? However, sometimes there is no substitute for the real thing. And I'm enjoying eating things that have been forbidden to me for years--like fruit! I worried that on up days I would go on a cookie bender and inhale donuts every meal. That hasn't happened. Instead, I've quite naturally chosen nourishing real foods, maybe with more fat than usual, or more carbs than usual, and an occasional treat. I like this. And I'm looking forward to clearing most of the Frankenfood out of my pantry.

Rediscovering a Love of Cooking! Because I have been on a diet for as long as I can remember, for my whole life, I've learned to make recipes that "aren't bad" but no person in their right mind would choose to eat them for a special occasion. I'm sort of excited to have the whole culinary world open to me again. I love that there are convenient and quick dinners now available to me that we enjoy, but also that I can make some new things that my husband and my guests might cherish.

Lower Grocery Bill. I guess that's to be expected when you're eating only half the time!

So, I'm absolutely going for another week. Then I need to figure out what I'm going to do at my convention in California and the mini-vacation after it. I'm actually terrified to do anything to screw up this progress, but I know I can't stir fry shirataki noodles on a down day in the hotel either. :P I'm going to have to go in armed with a plan.

In the meantime, you're stuck with me for a while longer, JUDDD Buds!

===
Update: I do have a few concerns, of course. Like, what am I supposed to do now? Is the 500 cal down days only for the first two weeks and now we experiment with other calorie levels? (I'm a little worried that I'm training my body that it can only lose weight on 500 calories a day so maybe that's why people go up?) On the other hand, if it ain't broke don't fix it?

Last edited by stephdray; 07-18-2012 at 08:47 AM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
OK! I only read the first line and have to stop for a happy dance.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
OK! I only read the first line and have to stop for a happy dance.
It's alright! The rest of it was just my blathering on ;P

And I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for the support you've been to me here. You have a heart as big as Grand Canyon and I hope it's always filled with love.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Zoneish, Organic, GrassFed, Gluten-Free 5/13
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
on your success! I'm so glad that this WOE/WOL is working for you! So happy to hear this!

And, FYI, there is a thread in the main lobby about doing LC in Disney, for some ideas on what to eat. I personally love their kid's snack pack, which is like apples, a yogurt, and a string cheese, I think. That with a side salad is great for one meal for me (I can't eat heavy 3 meals/day). Of course, I always eat chocolate chip cookies for brekkie at Disney, so I have to even it out somehow... I also like to get a hotel room with a fridge for leftovers and a little bit of grocery shopping. That way I can have fresh fruit, cottage cheese, pickles, cold cuts...whatever I need for those times that I'm not up for a full meal. Their meals are huge, so I usually share one with a family member. Have fun! I'm jealous...I love Disney.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I came back just to see the report and very happy to know you love JUDDD!

Woohoo! You are rocking this!

It is a pleasure to watch everyone experience losses right out of the gate, but I think everyone will agree, we have had so much fun reading your stories. Thank you for sharing!

Last edited by sunday; 07-18-2012 at 09:09 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
It's alright! The rest of it was just my blathering on ;P

And I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for the support you've been to me here. You have a heart as big as Grand Canyon and I hope it's always filled with love.

Loved reading your four bullet points. Good going, Beautiful Girl!!! And, blather away, anytime!

I gave you my thoughts before on the upcoming trip. There are a few things you can do in a hotel room if you really want to (I mean food wise! But the other is great for calorie burn and Leptin release!)

If you have a coffee pot, use it to heat up broth or brew tea that you can pour over a cup filled with ice. I always take a fold-flat, small soft sided cooler. That way If I'm out for a walk and can buy some yogurt or half and half for my coffee, I do. These days most hotels provide small refrigerators at no charge. Just call housekeeping and they will put one in your room. Or, keep your ice bucket busy at all times.

Then when you eat out, you can take leftovers back to your room if you want.

I'm sure your creative brain is going to go to work and you will do a fantastic job of not going off the cliff food wise while you are away. Even if you do, JUDD is forgiving and easy to get back to.

I've learned that a Fast-5 type schedule even every other day keeps me from gaining when on vacation.

I'll be trying that out soon. Two of my sisters are coming to California for a girl's week. We have never done this before and I'm so psyched! We'll be staying in a beautiful time share near San Diego. We are really gonna live it up and we love to eat! (Just look at the photo of me with my sisters on my profile page. It's us 3 chubby ones who will be together getting into all kinds of mischief!!! )

I hope you will find little snippets of time when you can keep in touch with us while you are on your trip. We can't wait to hear the joy of it all!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 07-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Woo-hoo!! She's in for another week!! Congrats on the weight loss!! You've lost more in 2 weeks than I have in 4 months!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Stats: 227/175/? 5'8"
Start Date: started JUDDD 3/22/2012

Very happy (although not at all surprised) to see this thread!

As I said on another thread, I have no doubt whatsoever you're going to be very successful!

Best of luck at the awards! Go rock your gown!!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: 150?/?/135 52yo
WOE: JUDDDish

Steph, beautiful. You know, you've been so wildly diligent that it might be worth it to fall off the horse for a moment or two while on your holiday. If that does happen, you'll learn how easy it is to climb back on with Juddd, which goes a long way toward losing that o-my-god-I-screwed-up-and-now-I'm-gonna-gain-300-pounds fear.
You won by starting. You've won every day since. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Joyjoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
There are a few things you can do in a hotel room if you really want to (I mean food wise! But the other is great for calorie burn and Leptin release!)
Here in Drayvania, where romance novels are sometimes written, we call the other thing that you can do in a hotel room research

Quote:
I've learned that a Fast-5 type schedule even every other day keeps me from gaining when on vacation.
This is probably what I'm going to try and/or upping my calorie levels on down days to maintenance levels.

Quote:
I'll be trying that out soon. Two of my sisters are coming to California for a girl's week. We have never done this before and I'm so psyched!
That's so wonderful! I hope you have the best time ever. I'm very close to my sister too--and we have tons of fun together and we love food.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Woo-hoo!! She's in for another week!! Congrats on the weight loss!! You've lost more in 2 weeks than I have in 4 months!
Oh, Vanilla Latte, but I haven't been battling surgery! I've got it easy.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
As I said on another thread, I have no doubt whatsoever you're going to be very successful! Best of luck at the awards! Go rock your gown!!
I had my doubts, but I don't think even I have the capacity for storing 10lbs of water weight :P
Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post

Steph, beautiful. You know, you've been so wildly diligent that it might be worth it to fall off the horse for a moment or two while on your holiday. If that does happen, you'll learn how easy it is to climb back on with Juddd, which goes a long way toward losing that o-my-god-I-screwed-up-and-now-I'm-gonna-gain-300-pounds fear.
OMG, I know this fear well. And it always devolves into, "Well, I blew today didn't I? Guess I'll restart on Monday..."

Quote:
You won by starting. You've won every day since. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Ok, you made me weepy!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Here in Drayvania, where romance novels are sometimes written, we call the other thing that you can do in a hotel room research
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
WTG Steph! Of course, well written, and I fully agree with what you wrote (i.e. it rang true of my experience as well).

re: DD calories-- I'd say, go to the calculator and see what you can do. My calculator wants me to do about 430 or so on DD, but I generally hang out around 500... sometimes less, sometimes 700.

A few people have written themselves a sticky note with the 20, 25, 30, 35% etc, so you know on a DD what your levels are, and if you eat a bit more, you know you're still in a WL level. I do this too.

re: at a convention-- I had one in May, just 6 weeks after I started. I can say from experience that it's tricky, for sure. But do-able, if you put your mind to it.

Down days are pretty easy-- don't eat much all day, maybe some fruit and an egg for breakfast, salad for lunch, and go light at dinner.

Up days, just try to keep it in check. You might not lose over the course of the trip, but you can try not to gain.

AND if you do gain (as I said, my May trip was kinda a fail re: diet. ) it's REALLY not that hard to lose the few pounds, and get back in the groove.

for you, glad you'll be sticking around!
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

DH and I do lots of research all over the place, quite often.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Exactly the post I was hoping for. And as for being a "Big Fat Believer," um, not for long! Hehe, you're just going to be a Believer!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I am SO happy to read this (and not at all surprised). I think I'm even happier about how your relationship with food is normalizing than I am about the weight (although I know the weight is also very, very important). It is so wonderful to read time after time about people choosing nourishing foods in 'real' portion sizes within just a short time of starting. Treats get relegated back to where they belong--the once in a while, enjoy it for all it's worth, but not all the time, TREAT.

I think a little skepticism is a good thing when it comes to our bodies and their reactions to food, at least at first. But you WILL learn to trust yourself to make good choices, and to realize that even a blown DD isn't cause to throw in the towel and drown your sorrows in a box of Ho-Ho's. You just get right back on the bus and keep on with the journey.

One good thing about your trip, having been faithfully Juddding for 3 weeks prior, you WILL have the benefit of the sirtuin enzymes along for the ride. And that will help both to help reign in the free for all desires, and to keep things from going totally off the rails while you are away. Getting right back into rotations when you get home will drop whatever is gained while you are gone very quickly.

If you can, make your travel days DD's. Plan your UD's as well. If you know dinner is going to be super fantastic, eat lightly (or not at all) for breakfast, and stick with a salad and some lean protein for lunch. Pay close attention to your hunger signals and stop when full. Eat only what looks absolutely fabulous to you, and thoroughly enjoy it without guilt. Don't just put it in your mouth because it's on your plate (or on a buffet). And remember to stay hydrated, especially if adult beverages will be involved in your celebrations.

LOL at the research!

You are doing GREAT!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Soo very happy for you~ And what an awsome loss!!! I am very pleased that you are still with us and i love to read your post.. i look forward to the up and comming weeks as you lose those unwanted pounds and learn to love and respect not only food but yourself in the process Sooo happy~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Just a week ago (7/11) you posted this:
Quote:
I'm down 1.8 lbs total.
(With an implied, "I've ONLY lost 1.8lbs.")

So you've lost 7.8 in your 2nd week...that's almost 2lbs every DD, if you've had 4 since then!!! More if it's been 3 DDs!!!

Those DDs can be rough, but that sorta seems worth it!

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-18-2012 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: correction
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jodeeras
Stats: 174 / 160.0 / 115
Start Date: 12/1/11 Atkins; 5/8/12 JUDDD
Quote:

I'm sure your creative brain is going to go to work and you will do a fantastic job of not going off the cliff food wise while you are away. Even if you do, JUDD is forgiving and easy to get back.
Hi Steph,

I had a three week away-from-home-not-in-control-of-my-life that ended on Monday. When I got on the scales, it showed a 5-lb. gain. Two DDs later, the 5 lbs. are gone. I was surprised how easy it really was to get back.

As the experts here keep saying, this WOE is very forgiving and I'm a believer "Life" does happen - but this is the first time it did not send me reeling backwards, as so many diets in the past have done.

It's very doable for me. BTW, I really enjoy reading your posts!

Start Date: 12/1/2011 (Atkins)
Start Weight: 174 lbs. (12/1/11 - Atkins)
Start Date: 155.5 (5/8/2012 JUDDD)
Restart Weight: 161.5 lbs. (4/1/2013)
CW: 160.0 lbs.
jodeeras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

I Just Voluntarily Ate Veggies & Dip--What's happening to me?

Let me preface this post by saying that never in the history of my life on earth have I ever willingly reached for veggies and dip. On such rare occasions as such things were foisted upon me, I would find a way of politely choking it down before seeking out something more substantial and tasty.

When I was doing a low-fat diet, I never ate veggies in dip because most raw veggies are gross to me and most low-fat dip is also gross.

When I was doing a low-cal diet, I never ate veggies in dip because there was no way I would be willing to spend the calories on craptastic dip on a bitter radish. (In fact, I would have to say that low-cal diets mostly discouraged me from eating salads b/c I didn't ever want to spend the calories on dressing.)

When I was doing a low-carb diet, I never ate veggies in dip because I didn't want to spend the carbs on it when I could eat an egg or meat or some frankenfood instead.

Since starting JUDDD I have discovered that while certain raw veggies are still gross to me, others are rather pleasant. Particularly cucumbers. And on an up day, I really don't care if the dip is low-carb or low-fat or even low-cal.

Today I was upstairs and there was a tasty looking yogurt dill dip in my fridge that was intended to go with pork rinds. But I thought, "I bet this would taste good with these slices of raw eggplant...and maybe cucumber."

So--without a gun aimed at my head or even the food police monitoring my every bite--I reached for the veggies. And I ate them. And it was good.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
RAW eggplant?!?!

I love veggies, but I would never eat raw eggplant!

How was it?
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
What a great loss, Steph! Whoo hoo! Congrats I think we were all waiting with baited breath to hear this report! lol!

Just like you, I know when I started JUDDD I just marveled at all the "bad" things I could eat and STILL LOSE WEIGHT! I'm glad you get to enjoy ice cream and not have to stress during social functions. Nothing on the table is off limits on JUDDD!

You've been a real trooper getting through those tough DD and hunger, and we are so proud of you! They will probably get easier as you go along, but always be gentle with yourself when/if a tough one rears up again. For some of us, Tom and/or Ovulation can be a challenge, so a heads-up. You're gonna keep doing great!

I understand about making peace with calorie counting. It was a drag at times, but it sure did work. And it made JUDDD work optimally for me. I just tried to look at it as a tool to help me get where I wanted, and eventually in maintenance I was able to start "eye-balling" portions and not really counting so strictly... finding I could get away with not counting vco, veggies, etc. And even having some FD (free days) with no counting! So just some things you might have to look forward to in the future. I can't remember which jb always said she didn't end up in her current weight by being able to trust her appetite and portions and "winging it" (something like that) so she'd stuck to counting calories because it did work.

That's another thing that amazed me about JUDDD - when you mentioned that you naturally chose more nourishing foods. I sort of dove into the carbs head-first (including lots of refined crap which was dangerous for me) but I found that as I went along it seemed to get out of my system, and my body regulated itself. I also began to choose the healthier fare more often, and you and I are not alone in this. JUDDD has a way of improving our relationship to foods, carbs, and with ourself.

And whoo hoo on being able to make any recipe you want! That's so exciting and well... handy. Nothing is off limits to you, so have fun in the kitchen.

MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Know what I LOVE today? That great feeling that we all win when one of us wins. Basking in that today.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Know what I LOVE today? That great feeling that we all win when one of us wins. Basking in that today.
Now THAT is a great thought!!! Brilliant, Joyjoy!!!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Soo very happy for you~ And what an awsome loss!!! I am very pleased that you are still with us and i love to read your post.. i look forward to the up and comming weeks as you lose those unwanted pounds and learn to love and respect not only food but yourself in the process Sooo happy~
Kimberly: I just checked out the pictures on your profile page! Muffin top gone. Check! You look amazing! Look at you! Woooooo-Hooooooo!!!

(Sorry, Steph, if this is a thread jack. I want everyone to see Kim's photos!)

P.S. I'm always sending people to look at Cindy's too! (Kissa) Amazing.

Jaw dropping progress for so many here. Love it!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

I want legs like Kimberly's. End of thread jack.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Stats: 227/175/? 5'8"
Start Date: started JUDDD 3/22/2012
Quote:
Know what I LOVE today?

That great feeling that we all win when one of us wins. Basking in that today.

One of the Great JUDDD Truths!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CaTriGirl
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 10/7/13
What a great post! Being a newbie, I have been following your progress and I am so thrilled to hear that you are totally changing your perspective on food AND you've lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks! Ammmmazing!

Keep up the good work and with some thought, I am sure you will do just fine at your convention!
CaTriGirl is offline   Reply With Quote