Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Ramadan mubarak! ~JUDDD thread~ (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/778236-ramadan-mubarak-juddd-thread.html)

Avicenna 07-17-2012 06:51 AM

Ramadan mubarak! ~JUDDD thread~

So, as the month of Ramadan approaches... is anyone fasting during the month of Ramadan and trying to stay on the JUDDD plan? Are you planning to do your regular rotations or just let it go for the month?

b_lou_who 07-17-2012 09:56 AM

so, from Fri July 20 to Sat Aug 18 this is a sunup to sundown full dry fast, yes?
one meal a day at sunset? focusing on giving to others during this month...
I think I could get behind that

Kissa 07-17-2012 12:08 PM

I have lived in the Middle East for many years and really respect the Ramadan fast, especially when it false in the summer like this. Long, hot days make it really tough.

I know that Blondie Baby, who JUDDDS and has lost 10kgs, will be fasting. She doesn't post on the JUDDD board but over in the UK/Europe Main Lobby thread and on a challenge I belong to.

I may ask her to comment over here, she is so interesting and cooks wonderful Ramadan meals.

Good thread Avicenna.

KeirasMom 07-17-2012 12:18 PM

It doesn't get dark until after I go to bed! I'd never get to eat. Much respect to any of you who can do this!

Blondie Baby 07-17-2012 10:38 PM

Kissa - Thanks for directing me to this thread! I don't normally post on JUDDD simply because I lack time to do so!

Yes, I will be fasting and plan to stick with my JUDDD rotations. Fortunately, I do have the advantage of knowing EXACTLY what we will be eating every day so I can plan accordingly. My DDs and I created a Ramadan Custom years ago - every day of Ramadan we have something different for Iftar, and from a different country. We spend months in advance searching recipes and menus. As of now, we have all the menus set and all the recipes printed out. So given this, I am able to plan what I can eat everyday for the appropriate calories. I plan to have just coffee for Suhoor (if I don't have my coffee, I will have a blinding headache!) and plan to weigh myself just before Iftar. I have not yet decided what I will do about my workouts.

b-lou-who - The Ramadan fast involves much more than just not eating druing daylight hours. We also must refrain from smoking, drinking, sexual activities, gossiping, arguing........We try to maintain serenity, pray, read Holy Quran. We actually do wake up approximately 1/2 hour before the morning prayers and eat Suhoor, then pray and begin our fast for the day.

I will try to pop in daily and support anyone else who is fasting.

RAMADAN KAREEM!!!!!!!!

Spoonful of Happiness 07-18-2012 03:08 AM

I'm going to be fasting and am soooo glad to see this thread - I was a little lost as to how to continue JUDDDing while fasting. Blondie Baby, do you intend to keep your calories during iftar more or less the same every day? I might have just a bowl of cereal for suhoor but I don't know if that's too much... I know I'm stressing out a lot about this but I ALWAYS gain a ton of weight during Ramadan :(

Avicenna 07-18-2012 03:34 AM

b-lou: you're welcome to join in for a few days (especially DD's) :-)

i feel that fasting every year made it easier for me to adjust to JUDDD (even though I complain about DD's a lot) since it is essentially the same idea, except on JUDDD you can eat a little and drink.

blondie: sounds great! maybe i'll come by and share (just kidding) i try to give up caffiene about a month before ramadan or else i suffer a lot too. sometimes i do midnight workouts at home, or if i have time i sometimes exercise about an hour before sunset (so i can have water after sunset). of course atheletes train normally and the olympic atheletes will be competing so i guess i shouldn't treat myself like an invalid!

luv: sorry to hear that you gain weight...i've known people who said that but i have to say it's never happened to me.

last year i was trying to maintain atkins/low carb during the month of ramadan and i found that difficult because it made me very thirsty (not to mention the social challenge of trying to explain to people that you really, genuinely don't want to eat any rice or dates), so this seems a lot easier.

we have only a few hours between sunset and dawn here (which means i can't imagine eating anywhere near my UD calories - as much as i like food, eating before dawn doesn't appeal to me) and i also don't want to spend too much mental energy during the month of ramadan counting calories. so i've been thinking of trying a semi-rotation/maintenance type of plan or just resuming afterwards.

anyway let us know how it goes!

Spoonful of Happiness 07-18-2012 04:11 AM

What do you have suhoor Avicenna??

Blondie Baby 07-18-2012 05:52 AM

I'm doing LC JUDDD so I will continue that. Can't do midnight workouts as I have to be at work at 7:30 so I will need to sleep. I may try doing a quick workout after Isha. Will just have to see how it goes. I'm sure the first week I won't be working out because my housemaid won't be back yet so I won't have any help with the cooking and cleaning up!

Luv - I plan to keep my regular calorie rotation during Ramadan. I don't eat cereal so if I do eat anything for Suhoor it will most likely be my standard boiled eggs.

sophiethecat 07-18-2012 01:34 PM

I won't be fasting but I'm enjoying reading the thread. Nice to meet you, Maryam & Luv :shake:

Kissa 07-18-2012 02:48 PM

Maryam is a wonderwoman, mother of 6! I love her.

Blondie Baby 07-18-2012 10:48 PM

Kissa - Awwww:o you're embarassing me. You are my biggest fan!

Sophiethecat - :hiya: nice to meet you!

Avicenna 07-19-2012 04:08 AM

6 kids and working, you must have a lot of energy!

I usually just have water for suhur, but when I used to teach full time (i.e. talking all day) I used to eat lentil soup or rice on the theory that eating 'watery' foods makes you less thirsty throuhghout the day. I think it helped. I usually try to stay away from sugary foods during the month because I think it makes fasting easier (although sometimes I have a bit out of social necessity or to be more alert if I have to work at night).

Luv, just out of curiosity, do you lose the weight afterwards?

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure which 'day' suhur would fall on (i.e. UD or DD) - would it be part of the prior 'day' or the following 'day'? It's quite confusing...

Spoonful of Happiness 07-19-2012 05:12 AM

I gain weight during Ramadan because of my own fault... or rather, because of the culture I come from. Ramadan for us is not only a time for spirituality but it's a time to celebrate family. My aunts/uncles/cousins all come over for both meals and so, iftar is quite a feast. Suhoor too means eating to the very brim. Given all that, it's really hard not to gain weight. I'm playing with the idea of trying Intermittent Fasting for Ramadan - limit suhoor to egg/cereal and then eat a filling iftar. I feel bad about being occupied with my weight during Ramadan but I worked so hard to lose these pounds, I'd hate to gain them all back. If anyone has any tips to share, I'd love to hear them. This thread has been wonderful!

Avicenna 07-19-2012 09:12 AM

^ I'd say do your best, maybe you can talk to your immediate family about why you don't want to eat so much of certain foods so they are supportive of you.

And there is always the art of pushing rice around on your plate or spreading it thin and eating it slowly to make it look like you are eating more of it than you actually are. ;)

When someone says it's wasteful not to eat all the food, you could (politely) remind them that it's also wasteful to eat to excess or that you want to save food for later.

If you can exercise (and you don't usually during this month) it might help too to keep your metabolism up.

Cutting down on carbohyrdates (ie less rice, less sugars, avoiding juice/soda) probably would help. Being on the LC plan helped me appreciate the value of eating fat as part of a regular diet (eg samosas).

Anyway if you do end up gaining weight you can always return to the plan afterwards...it looks like you are almost at your goal anyway.

I'd hate to be faced with weight gain, I'm already big enough already!

Good luck and Ramadan mubarak!

Kissa 07-19-2012 10:35 AM

Controlling your weight is not simply vanity. It is respecting you body's health and I understand that spiritual, psychological and physical wellbeing is important at this special time.

africat 07-20-2012 09:44 AM

Hi everyone,

Today is my first fast, I also want to follow low carb diet during ramadan hoping to shed few pounds, but I am running out of ideas for sahoor and aftaars.
Please ladies share some ideas for sahoor & aftaar meals.

Africat

SoHappy 07-20-2012 03:32 PM

This is very interesting. I didn't realize that there was an early breakfast meal (Suhoor) eaten before morning prayers, and then the feasting meal at the end of the day.

I love the idea of having something completely different for each evening meal, and using foods and recipes from so many different countries. What a great idea!

Kissa 07-20-2012 04:03 PM

Ramadan Mabruk.

Spoonful of Happiness 07-21-2012 07:28 AM

I'm calling Day 1 of Ramadan a success food-wise *knocks on wood*

I decided to skip suhoor and iftaar was a meal of a sandwich (two slices of brown bread, chicken slices, lettuce, tomato and cucumber) and a fried egg. I might add a serving of fruit if I'm hungry later. For the first time, I don't feel overfull like I usually do during iftaar but completely satisfied. I'm hoping the scale won't be too unkind to me tomorrow morning!

Tomorrow's iftar will probably be homemade Tandoori chicken and salad.

Anyone else want to share your iftar/suhoor menus?

Blondie Baby 07-21-2012 09:06 AM

Two days done. Tomorrow I am going to have some boiled eggs for Suhoor. Just had my coffee the last two days and I was so hungry and tired today! Have to work tomorrow so I need to be alert. So far my weight is holding at 60kgs!

Luv - totally understand! Ramadan is pretty much a food orgy here! It's ridiculous! The key for me is remembering that our Prophet (pbuh) instructed us to eat moderately. I try to keep that in mind. And I always drink a 16oz glass of water when breaking my fast. By the time I pray and am ready for my meal, my tummy feels full already!

Today was Malaysian. Pretty lowcarb and delicious! Guests tomorrow. Suhoor is gonna be sheer khorma. It's DD1s favorite and she is traveling tomorrow.

Blondie Baby 07-23-2012 10:05 PM

What happened to all our fasters? I put DD1 on the plane. She called this morning from Denver Airport. Long trip but she made it safely.

Tonight is Zanibar Night - Garlic Prawns, Coconut Fish Curry. Very manageable for LC. Tonight is also DD for me. Prawns are pretty low calorie so that is good.

I have concluded that I need to count Suhoor calories with Iftar from the night before. And I am weighing in just before Iftar instead of in the morning. So far weight is still 60kgs.

Spoonful of Happiness 07-24-2012 06:34 AM

Yuumm that sounds wonderful! Glad to know DD1 reached safely too!

My weight is holding pretty steady too it seems. *knocks on wood* I have my fluctuations but I'm trying to be a little flexible. Iftar today (in 20 mins!!) is grilled fish and vegetables and boy, am I hungry!

MintQ8 07-24-2012 11:14 AM

It's interesting hearing how this is working with fasting. Particularly after all the excesses I came to take for granted during Ramadan. It's great to see people following what I understand to be the correct way - rather than just turning your life upside down and eating more food every night than you usually eat in a week!

Hope the above comments don't offend everyone - for those that don't know, I lived in the Middle East for around 20 years - and whilst many of my muslim friends didn't do as described above - many of my students did!!!

Blondie Baby 07-25-2012 10:36 PM

Mint - No offense at all. You are absolutely right! In fact most people here complain that they actually GAIN weight during Ramadan!

I am bouncing up and down between 60.3 and 60.7 on DD and UD! Probably due to the fact that I have not worked out all and I am consuming more carbs than usual. Once my housemaid gets back (next week) and I get some proper rest I am going to try and get in some workouts.

Tonight is Polish Night - Cabbage Rolls (cabbage stuffed with meat), Pineapple Chicken Salad, Polish Crepes.

Spoonful of Happiness 07-26-2012 03:51 AM

Maryam, your iftars sound soooo good!

Mint, no offense taken at all - mostly 'cause what you said is so very true ;)
In fact, this is probably the first Ramadan that I am holding steady with my weight and I'm crediting it to JUDDD/IFing. This is not sitting very well with the rest of my family because iftars are pretty much a binge fest here! lol.

My current method seems to be working. I've switched to maintenance calories for DDs and just 200-300 calories less on my UDs. I'm doing a JUDDD/Warrior Diet/IF combo and given that I weighed in today at 53kgs, I'm pretty happy! Praying that this sticks and I don't see any gains any time soon!!

MintQ8 07-26-2012 09:16 AM

Sounds like you're rocking it - well done!!

Blondie Baby 07-27-2012 06:51 AM

Luv - Yay! Good for you!

I weighed in at 59.5 today so that's down .5 kg!!!!! Did Pilates with DD2 earlier and no cooking today! Kids Dad is taking them for Iftar and then Eid shopping so DH is giving me a break and treating me to Iftar out! Normally I don't mind cooking, but its difficult with my housemaid gone. Al hamdu lillah, she will be back Tuesday!!!!!

Blondie Baby 07-28-2012 07:09 AM

Tonight is German Night and having guests. Fortunately tonight is DD for me - German is just too Carby for me to eat much of!

How are the other fasters doing?

Spoonful of Happiness 07-28-2012 10:20 AM

I'm on TOM so I'm technically not fasting. Also the reason why I had shingara (a type of samosa that has a ridiculous amount of calories!) today =( Otherwise would have had a perfect UD. *sigh*

Hoping to correct with a better DD tomorrow.

I'm nearing the end of my stay at home (7 days to go) so I can foresee a lot of 'farewell parties' very soon. Baaad news for my weight. I'm hoping to maintain/not gain too much and hopefully JUDDD takes care of those extra pounds for me once I'm back Stateside.