Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Setting a schedule vs. every other day (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/778110-setting-schedule-vs-every-other-day.html)

microbio72 07-15-2012 12:02 PM

Setting a schedule vs. every other day

So as I understand it, JUDDD is a form of intermittent fasting, with the addition that you are fasting every other day, and this helps confuse your body's metabolism so that you lose weight more rapidly. My husband and I were discussing whether or not you could set up a schedule for fasting, for example MWF and then not fast on the other days. I understand that this might slow your weight loss, but it seems that it would still give you all the health benefits of intermittent fasting. Does anyone out there do this? And if so what has been your experience? I understand that this would be a better question to be asking on an IF board but everyone here is seems pretty helpful so far!

gotsomeold 07-15-2012 02:04 PM

Hello Microbio!

To activate the sirtuin genes (the benefits of IF), Dr J says the first two weeks of JUDDD should follow a strict DD/UD rotation. On average, it takes to weeks to saturate a body with enzymes. Experience on this board implies 'on average' has some pretty wild swings - anything from a few Down Days to eight weeks depending on individual metabolism.

Up Days continue to burn the sirtuin enzymes. The goal is to always have more enzymes than an UD can completely burn. THAT (burn rate) is also going to be highly individual.

Based on my experiences since I started JUDDD, I suspect two UDs a week, each and every week, would ultimately burn too many enzymes to keep the health benefits and weight loss active. But I believe there are people here who successfully follow the pattern you suggest. Others use a Medium Day (calories = DD + UD/2) on Saturday or Sunday every week to ensure they have the same DD/UD every week.

Chuckle, with JUDDD, one size does not fit all.

I suggest you begin with the two week strict rotation to kick things off, then adjust and see what happens.

piratejenny 07-15-2012 02:08 PM

It works for a lot of people!
Dr Johnson discusses it in his book, says it's easier & more convenient for many people.

I often do DDs on MWF, then on weekends I do Fast 5, or just have one major meal in the late afternoon
(often at a birthday party/BBQ/holiday dinner kind of thing),
or have a big, late brunch then light soup or salad for dinner.

piratejenny 07-15-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 15802393)
I suspect two UDs a week, each and every week...

Do you mean weekend?

Microbio--
On a regular JUDDD rotation, you'd have 14 UDs/14DDs in a 4-week period.
On a fixed rotation, you'd have 16 UDs/12 DDs in the same period.

In the LONG run, I'd be surprised if 2 extra UDs a month made a big difference in health & weight loss. Especially if it makes a person less likely to slip up/more likely to stick to the plan for an extended time.
(IE, "modified" JUDDD is better than no JUDDD at all!)

If you find you are not losing well, you can always try or go back to regular rotation and see if that works better! :)

PS--I'm a very slow loser, so feel free to take advice from someone else! :laugh:

Kissa 07-15-2012 02:29 PM

It can and does work for many people, certainly for men!

Whatever you try, do let us know how it goes. :)

microbio72 07-15-2012 03:20 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone! My husband and I are on our second week of the induction and plan to finish that out, but then we will probably switch it up a bit and see what happens. I should mention that we both have just a little weight to lose (5lbs for me, 8-10lbs for him) so we understand that it might take us a long time if we switch it up. I will keep everyone posted on our progress and how it works for us.

Kissa 07-15-2012 03:24 PM

Will be so interested to know how it goes. :)

Whitlin' 07-15-2012 04:27 PM

I'm a broken record, I know, but I would love to see you get to read the book. You can check it out of the library if you'd rather. Dr. Johnson discusses your question in the book, but more than that you'd learn a lot of the "whys".

According to a suggestion there, I have scheduled my DDs on M,W,F since shortly (a few weeks) after I began JUDDD in 2009. I have a Medium Day (halfway between DD and UD calories) on Saturday. I lost quickly on JUDDD, maintained well for a couple years, slipped up with family difficulties recently. So I started rotations back, then started M,W,F back, and I'm getting right back to maintenance level again, losing, in June, 5 of the 10 pounds I needed. So my opinion of it is that it is not a problem.