Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thomasina838
WOE: JUDDD & paleo
Start Date: 16 Feb 2012
zero calories on Down Days?

does anyone have anything to contribute on this subject? the last couple of DD i have just not cared about eating. i know people sometimes mention it in other threads but i cant find the posts now. i am thinking about it as long as i dont have to suffer. I do remember Dr. Johnson saying alternate day dieting works best with no cals on the DDs
thomasina838 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Alternate day fasts, in general, are safe. I have seen no research to contradict that. So if you can tolerate them and aren't feeling hunger cues, go for it! If you start feeling weak or showing deficiencies, playing with your up day nutrition or adding back in a few of your DD meals each week may help, but go by the signals your body is sending
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
If it feels good do it, right?

Watch the results to see if it is good for you...
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

thank you, ladies.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Stats: 227/175/? 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: started JUDDD 3/22/2012
99% of my DDs are total fasts. Didn't start out planning it that way, just sort of evolved into it. I have no problems - physical, mental or otherwise - fasting. My UDs are very generous and nourishing and I think that makes a difference in how easy it is for me to fast.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:00 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Over in the Blood Sugar post Sophie just reopened, she, Sunday, and Tina raise some interesting issues about IF's impact on blood glucose in people with adrenal fatigue and/or insulin resistance.

I have not had a zero cal/DD yet. But I seem to be trending closer and closer. And feeling fine.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Over in the Blood Sugar post Sophie just reopened, she, Sunday, and Tina raise some interesting issues about IF's impact on blood glucose in people with adrenal fatigue and/or insulin resistance.

I have not had a zero cal/DD yet. But I seem to be trending closer and closer. And feeling fine.
Thomasina,
I do enjoy fasting on DD, but started having issues with nausea and just not a good feeling. I believe my problem could have been aggravated by taking the 1 tbsp of coconut oil on my DD??? Still doing more reseach... I discovered this problem with my diet and ketones during fasting days where I believe that the coconut oil (1 tbsp) may have been throwing me into hard ketosis and glucose dilemma. I am thinking about abstaining from coconut oil on DD and on UD until I have lunch or try some other options. It looks like this happens to a few others and I am not sure if it would even be an issue to you?

Low-carb diets induce insulin resistance. Restricting carbohydrates produces a natural drop in insulin levels, which in turn activates hormone sensitive lipase. Fat tissue is then broken down, and non-esterified fatty acids (a.k.a. “free fatty acids” or NEFA) are released into the bloodstream. These NEFA are taken up by the muscles, which use them as fuel. And since the muscle’s needs for fuel has been met, it decreases sensitivity to insulin.

Intermittent fasting, cortisol and blood sugar

Why your
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 07-16-2012 at 06:44 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
I'm sure not to that point. I get really nauseous if I go to long without something in my stomach. I'm doing better though, it's been at least 12 hours and all I've had is coffee.
Crazy Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
I'm all over the place from occasionally fasting on a DD to some DDs where I have social or business obligations and come pretty close to 35% of calories.

I don't seem to be affected either way. I can eat or not eat. If I don't feel like eating, I don't.

Mostly, I'm just interested in keeping the SIR gene activated.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

well i didnt get through the day without food. by 8pm i wanted a little something. including some fat. so i had some chicken and butter. about 300 cals but it was very easy. i think i will just continue doing my down days like this. i expect that eventually i will go all day without any food just fine. all the problems that people mention no longer happen to me since i am now leptin sensitive. but my thanks to everyone who responded. i expect i will be referring back here from time to time.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Most of my first five months I fasted on DD's with no problems. My body seemed happy with it and I felt good energy. At about the five month point, I started to feel some hunger developing on DD's that I didn't have before, so I started to eat a bit on DD's and I am going to stick with that for awhile as I am trying to maintain my 100 pound loss before going full force into weight loss mode again. I like giving my body "days off" from digestion and I think that if you feel good and want to do it, go for it. Some people simply can't and their bodies don't like it. It always seems to be an individual decision.

Cindy I love your avatar and you look not a day older than 35!!! Holy smoke!

Last edited by sungoddess; 07-16-2012 at 05:15 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote