Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/150/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
More DD Suggestions

I know there are a lot of threads here on how folks survive DD's but thought I'd add another one and ask for your suggestions. After six weeks on JUDDD, I've fallen in love with this WOE and, although I'm a newbie, I want to help anyone else falling into this program. I've found that I'm not getting up during the night for a trip to the "loo" but am sleeping about six hours and have lots of energy during the day...just have to work on moving the body more. But, hey, I've lost 14 pounds in this time so I'm doing something right. A few things I've learned:

You really have to plan - I never made menus before, but find that I have to on this WOE. I put it into my organizer and work the numbers to come up with the most food possible for the least calories.

I know a lot of folks have said they fast during the DD but I have to eat and if I'm careful I can hit the right numbers.

I heard (on Dr. Oz's show of all things), a suggestion I had never thought of...he was talking about various body types and ways of coping with a diet. Basically, the hunter/gatherer genes build a different body type than others...I have Type 0 blood and according to the eat for your blood type books, that means I'm from the H/G's...bear with me I am making a point here...Dr. O said that H/G's are usually the folks who are not hungry when they get up and therefore breakfast is not the big thing that it is for other body types. That got me to thinking that I usually wait for a couple of hours to eat and also that our ancestors wouldn't have a fridge inside their cave and so would have to go out to gather something before they could eat. So on my DD's I delay eating for a goodly time and it really helps me get through the day without even thinking about food.

Dr. J and a few others have mentioned that falling into a habit on eating habits can help survive...I've fallen into eating the same menu on the DD's and it does help...again, you don't have to think about food and what your are eating...egg white quiche with broccoli, minced ham, and NF cheese for breakfast and the protein/cabbage/shirataki noodles/cheese thing have become my mainstays.

Posters have mentioned adding almond milk to coffee and I tried it today and it is indeed yummy and helps smoooth the taste of my new extra bold coffee. Also, I was reminded today about iced coffee (it's hitting almost 110 degrees today) and remembered I have a slue of Torani syrups...I wonder what treats I can come up with for only a few calories.

Not only do you have to plan what you eat, I find that if I give my stomach that 20 minutes to realize I've eaten it really helps...therefore, small bites while concentrating on the food and eating slooooowly helps.

I also remember that people under-estimate the amount of food we eat and over-estimate the amount of exercise we do. So, if you aren't one of those folks who teaches pilates or is a personal trainer; I recommend that when calculating your daily calorie intake one level below what you think it is to achieve your RMR and measure everything that goes into your mouth. It is so easy to think you ate a quarter-cup of something and it's actually a half-cup or more.

These are a few my favorite things and I hope they help any other newbies and hoping to find a few of yours.

Patience and Persistence not perfection

Last edited by Mssarge; 07-11-2012 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: Add another thought
Mssarge is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jodeeras
Stats: 174 / 160.0 / 115
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 12/1/11 Atkins; 5/8/12 JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssarge View Post
I heard (on Dr. Oz's show of all things), a suggestion I had never thought of...he was talking about various body types and ways of coping with a diet. Basically, the hunter/gatherer genes build a different body type than others...I have Type 0 blood and according to the eat for your blood type books, that means I'm from the H/G's...bear with me I am making a point here...Dr. O said that H/G's are usually the folks who are not hungry when they get up and therefore breakfast is not the big thing that it is for other body types. That got me to thinking that I usually wait for a couple of hours to eat and also that our ancestors wouldn't have a fridge inside their cave and so would have to go out to gather something before they could eat. So on my DD's I delay eating for a goodly time and it really helps me get through the day without even thinking about food.
This was interesting to me. I also have type "O" blood. I always thought my hunger delay was because I was raised on a farm as a kid. We never ate until we were finished milking the cows, doing the chores, etc., which was about 2 hours after I woke up in the morning.

Now (40 years later) I still don't have much of a hunger until around 9:30 in the morning, which is around 3 hours after I get up.

It's much easier to delay eating on a DD for me. The earlier I eat, the earlier hunger begins.

Anyway, I appreciate the insight.

By the way, I do love breakfast foods. I often eat them for dinner!

Start Date: 12/1/2011 (Atkins)
Start Weight: 174 lbs. (12/1/11 - Atkins)
Start Date: 155.5 (5/8/2012 JUDDD)
Restart Weight: 161.5 lbs. (4/1/2013)
CW: 160.0 lbs.
jodeeras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Great post, Mary! It's neat when people share what works/doesn't work for them - you never know who you'll help. Thanks for taking the time to put this together for us. KUTGW, my bud!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've a few more suggestions that help me through the DD's...hope it helps someone.

I've printed out the list of DD staples and carry it in my purse for the days I go near a store. It's come in handy for remembering things I don't normally buy.

Someone posted on another thread about making a pot of soup on DD's. I had forgotten about doing that but remembered I had a couple containers of soup from my first DD and had it Friday. It is so convenient to have it simmering on the stove, even in the heat, crockpot might be a nice way of keeping it on the simmer.

Also, Keira's mom mentioned grilling portobellas in her new Evolve grill. Picked some up yesterday for my next DD....tomorrow. (also picked up some baby-back ribs for my next UD, so will start marinating them tomorrow)...gotta plan in advance for the meals.

I found that Laughing Cow has more flavors than just the plain cream cheese, as well as light versions. They have a very good cinnamon flavored one that acts as a good sub for something sweet when you must have something on a DD, although I try to not eat sweet things on a DD.

I've found I sleep better on a DD when I save a 100 calories, or so, so that I can have something an hour or so before bedtime...sometimes it's hard to sleep if the tummy is growling.

Remember to stay busy on DD's, it really helps to not even think about food. That's one of the reasons it's good to eat the same menu, it becomes habit.

Watch sodium intake. My body holds onto water and the scale is not my friend when I eat salty things, even on an UD.

I guess I've emptied my thoughts for the day...probably should just start a journal.

Last edited by Mssarge; 07-14-2012 at 11:58 PM..
Old 07-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
2 of them.

I love all your points and thank you for putting them out there for all of us to remember, not only the Newbies.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
regular menu does help for down days, even a few days menus you just rotate through.
loading up on veg every day
I find it really easy to fast from dinner one day to dinner the next. sometimes it is super easy to continue until the following morning for a 40 hour fast, other times I have to have a sensible down day dinner.
For me, learning to listen to my body is key. Not my whiny emotional eating urges, mind you, but the actual physical need and want. I often just want a drink of hot water. I can now say I want something when the idea gets introduced, say I'm not going to have it today, and no longer obsess over it.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

resubscribing.,,,
Old 07-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Thank you Mary ! I do a few of these on DD. Another fav of mine for DD is to keep your glass full of water or tea if possible. Sometimes drinking takes the place of hungry. You never realize that you were hungry if you fill up on liquid.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
My husband and I have been doing JUDDD since mid April. For us, we can't do the same menu. Honestly we ate so much zucc/squash grilled and steamed brocc that now, if either of us smells that....we almost gag! We try to have a varying menu. That way we never truly OD on any one thing.

My friend this summer has been peaches and strawberries. I eat them with 1% cottage cheese and it is nice, filling and a touch of sweet.

I also drink a TON of water on DD's. When the tummy starts rumbling, I down 32oz and see if that helps.

Monica -Come see my journey!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:42 AM   #10
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
That's interesting. I'm a Type O and I almost never have breakfast. I never have been a morning eater. Maybe 1-2 times a month I'll wake up hungry and have breakfast. Most times, even if I do wake up hungry, I do other things first and the hunger passes, then I don't eat until lunch anyway.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm coming up on my first JUDDDversary so needed a reminder. Bringing up an old post as I'm stalling again, bouncing through the same numbers daily and I needed to remind myself of what helped when I first found this woe. Hope this helps some of our newbies and gets me back on track.

Hope you have some suggestions to get me back on the losing team...I am back in physical therapy and we have a new gym opening in the area next month that has a pool, already joined, so I can continue the water exercises after the pt runs out. I've been very slack on my DD calories so need to buckle down and lose the next 30 pounds.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Hi Mary,
I appreciated reading through this older thread to get some wisdom from those with more experience.
I really love the potato down day. I like it because I can eat to satiety and don't worry about being "deprived". When I actually weigh, measure and track, I'm not that far over my calculator DD number but, if you've read any of the potato stuff, you know there are more benefits from the potato day(s) than just satiety. Adi does potato DDs and I have done potato DDs too. You don't have to do a multi-day hack. In fact, I think easing into it by doing it for single days helped me avoid some of the common problems for folks who just jump into a multi-day hack.
Remember that exercise can stall some JBs, so be sure you're looking for & tracking NSVs as well.
Hang in there friend! We'll lose our last 30# together!!!

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Loved this old post and its ideas and love seeing it now, Mary!

You have changed your health so much and done so well. Can't believe you are coming up on your one-year mark. How cool.

Let me see, what might I be doing differently than I was, say, a year ago, that might be making my DDs easier ... ...

I, too, am also including potatoes more, though not entire days. They are an excellent snack or supper on my DDs because a small quantity is so satisfying and by themselves they aren't sodium-rich or "fattening".

I like the supplement pterostilbene, which is proven to have good effects on both controlling appetite and general health markers.

I have become a student of online nutrition information for restaurants, and can zero-in on non-DD-ruining choices no matter where I may find myself. So being away from normal routine is not something I have to worry about any more. This was such a blessing recently when I needed to visit at a hospital several times, and there just wasn't a chance to prepare much.

Pretty insulated tumbler for cool water even in the car.

More sugar-free gum choices, especially those named after desserts. (Chocolate Mint Chip Extra is the favorite)
Old 05-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I keep a sports quart filled with ice water near me at all times on DD's and UD's as well. I try to keep busy on DD's as much as possible. I regularly walk into town on a daily basis (unless it's raining, then I try to do step aerobics on the wii) It's a blessing when I have to work all day on DD's.

I am O+ blood type as well. That explains why I never was hungry in the mornings when I was growing up. If I did eat bfast, I was starving all day. Still like that to this day.
~~~
Do not reward yourself with food, you're not a dog
~~~
Your great granny's granny had a term for healthy food...she called it food
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I am one who also likes to vary their food choices, on DDs and UDs. I only get stuck on eating the same things if I haven't finished eating something, or I like it a lot. I'm enjoying having higher cal DDs these past two rotations and find it very satisfying. Thanks for all the tips and for bumping this thread.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Start Date: Dec 5 2014
I can't eat in the morning either, never could not as a child and not now. I don't know my blood type but my sister is type o negative good chance that I would be type o as well. Potatoes on down days are great, cabbage helps me too.
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote