Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
One Week on JUDDD: the Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Good
  • Self-Esteem. I've been shocked by a number of things on JUDDD, not least of which being my own capacity for control. I did not realize that other people do not feel hunger as pain; that my experience, my hormones, my body is presenting me with a fundamentally different set of challenges. And because of it, I will never again let anyone tell me that my weight troubles are a matter of poor self-control, as if I was somehow an addled child who needed to be scolded into doing the simplest thing. I have self-control in a measure I had never before realized--self-control that I exercised to perfection this week, following this plan to the letter in spite of challenges. JUDDD has gifted me with that new insight into myself and I'm grateful for that.
  • Shrinking Stomach. Not only have I been shocked by my own capacity for self-control, but I have also been shocked by the control over food that JUDDD has afforded me on Up Days. On each of my feasting days, my eyes have been bigger than my stomach. I have been satisfied on less food than I thought possible. Now, I'm not a violent person, but I'm going to confess a horrible truth. Whenever I read about dieters who complain about how hard it is to get in all their allowable calories, I always have to fight the temptation to wrap my hands around their neck and choke them! So it's actually with some trepidation that I write the next lines. Yesterday, I knew I wanted a real ice cream sundae and I wanted it badly. But there are a lot of calories in a sundae and I was afraid I would never be satisfied with a small one. So I had what seemed like a very generous breakfast, skipped lunch and ate what seemed like a generous dinner of low carb buffalo chicken wraps. I still had 1200 calories left over. For a sundae. Which, as it turns out, is a lot more calories than a sundae actually has unless you cover it with nuts. And I didn't have any nuts. As it turns out, even a big sundae made with sugar free coconut milk ice cream, slathered in healthy fats like peanut butter and mascarpone, topped with strawberries, hot fudge, and reddi whip, is 700 calories. And once I was finished eating said sundae, it was time for bed and there was simply no room in me for anything more. Oh, I trust that if I had stayed up a few hours later, I would've/could've eaten more. But that's all she wrote. Don't choke me!
  • Simplicity. Menu planning for this week was the simplest menu planning I've ever done. Semi-fasting Up Days are easy to plan for because there are only so many foods that you can really eat that will nourish you for under 500 calories a day. Similarly, Up Day feasts were easy to plan for because I just have to choose a healthy low carb breakfast, a healthy low carb lunch, and whatever is on sale, is convenient, or sounds tasty for dinner. My grocery bill was much lower for some reason and I don't think it's just because I'm eating less food. I think it's because I needed to plan for fewer exigencies and options. The monotony of traditional dieting has often forced me to overbuy groceries in order to introduce variety and indulge whims within the limits of the plan. JUDDD only has every other day monotony and deprivation, so I didn't have to do that.
  • Flexibility. I have breezed through three social outings while on this diet and only one of them was stressful because it fell on a Down Day. Even so, I managed it. Now, my lifestyle is such that hardly a week goes by when I don't have a dinner appointment or some other event that I need to attend at which the food choices are not up to me. It has always seemed to me on past diets that my options were either to eat things I did not want and did not enjoy, and in quantities that left me dissatisfied, or to break the diet. And guess which one I almost always did? I almost always broke. I did not break this week. And if I had broken, I'm told that the consequences would not have been so severe. I have no data to back this up, but this would be a major advantage if true. For someone with such a lot of weight to lose, long-term deprivation may be much more challenging than short-term deprivation. Someone should do a study on that!

Bad
The downside of this WOE is that it requires significant suffering. By which I mean actual pain and suffering. Certainly it gets easier. The first fasting day was the worst by an order of magnitude and I didn't think I'd get through it. The subsequent fasting days were all easier, though only one of them did not involve any pain at all.

I feel very fragile on fasting days and when the hunger pains set in, extremely cranky and unpleasant to be around. What's more, these have been, so far, extremely unproductive days for me. I can run errands on fasting days and do things like clean the house, but actual creative writing work that requires my whole concentration has been more of a challenge. I find it difficult to write about the life of an ancient queen in a time of plenty when my stomach is trying to eat itself. Hunger, even when not painful, is a very distracting thing.

Ugly
The aforementioned suffering would be worth it if it came with impressive results. Unfortunately, for me, so far, that has not been the case. Impressive losses at the beginning of the week were offset by consistent bouncing gains at the end of the week, such that at this moment, I'm down 1.8 lbs total.

This is the exact same rate at which I was losing on Weight Watchers, except that I'm actually eating 1400 fewer calories a week on JUDDD. That doesn't inspire awe and happiness.

I'm a big heavy woman with tons to lose and I followed this program to the letter without any cheating, so this isn't what I'd hoped for. Especially not during an induction phase.

Still, it's nothing to sneeze at. And here's how I would compare it to other diets I have tried.

JUDDD versus Low Carb
Admittedly, my version of JUDDD is relatively low carb. On Down Days, it is always 20 carbs or less, and those carbs are all vegetables. This is because I need mostly protein and fat to get me through a semi-fasting day. Moreover, perhaps because my house is perpetually stocked with low carb food and because I think it's healthier to eat that way, my Up Days are also moderately low carb when I eat at home. I'll indulge myself with a dessert if I feel like it but I'm not loading up on twinkies because I know I need to nourish myself for the next day.

The advantage that eating strictly low carb is that I was never hungry unless I was also watching calories. Of course, I didn't lose weight unless I was also watching calories, so that's really a wash. I could maintain forever on low carb, but to lose anything required constant deprivation and that was not particularly sustainable. To get around that deprivation, I began learning to cook all manner of frankenfoods to replace their originals. I can't tell you how many different kinds of flour I have in my pantry in a vain attempt to replace, multi-purpose wheat flour. I do not even want to get into the abomination of a low carb lemon merengue pie I once made to bring to a birthday party...

Eating out or being on the go was even more of a challenge--because food is often dictated to you by the people who entertain you. I've had to turn down dinner party invitations while doing low carb and/or actually request special food from the host, something that I think is awkward, not to mention rude.

One can almost always find some way of staying on low carb in a restaurant, but the level of self-control required there often defeated me. Ordering a salad every single time I went anywhere with anyone began to wear on me. And the end result was always a binge which, on strict low carb, is fairly disastrous and not easily recovered from.

To the extent that JUDDD allows me to do away with Frankenfoods because I know that I will not have to put off eating chocolate cake for years of my life, it wins. To the extent that JUDDD allows me flexibility in eating out or eating at other people's houses and enjoying life at least half the time, it wins. To the extent that indulging in an unhealthy food every now and then will not derail the plan, it wins. To the extent that JUDDD does not require a lot of cooking and special preparation and planning, it wins.

JUDDD versus Weight Watchers
Calorie counting and hunger are staples of both diets. The main difference is when you will be hungry, how hungry you will be, and what foods you may indulge in.

In my experience Weight Watchers requires being hungry a little bit all the time. JUDDD requires being outrageously hungry half the time and totally, blissfully, satisfied the other half. This here is a toss up for me because it's all a matter of perspective. The highs are much higher and the lows are much lower on JUDDD and the consistency of experience on WW made it so that I was never unproductive. The obsession with food--how much can I eat, what can I eat, when can I eat--is pretty much the same on both, though I would give the edge to JUDDD here because with so little room to play with on Down Days there's not a lot of guesswork involved. I can already see that I will pretty much eat more or less the exact same thing every Down Day.

The vigilance to calories and measuring is, so far, exactly the same, but as I'm told JUDDD is far more forgiving of variances, the edge might go to JUDDD here. I just don't have enough data to make that determination at this time.

One place that JUDDD has the advantage over WW is when it comes to indulgences. While Weight Watchers may say that no food is forbidden, that's misleading, because you simply aren't allowed enough calories each day to really indulge in certain meals.

If I ever go back to Weight Watchers, I will probably incorporate JUDDD techniques into it and fast once a week just so as to be allowed a sundae like the one I had last night.

So that's everything. All my thoughts on one week on JUDDD.

I committed to two weeks, however, so this is only the halfway point!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Steph, beautifully said!
Two cents: Two weeks? You're giving us two weeks? I wish I could say something clever enough about Egyptian queens and persistence to convince you to give it two months. Two weeks is barely enough time for your body to come up for air after the first plunge!
Next: DDs are gross at first. I was irritable and unproductive for a month. Now I wish UDs were as productive and calm as DDs. You know how you struggled your way through your sundae and became one of those people you could strangle? Well, DD irritability can change too. (Mark my words, warbled my grandmother, shaking a gnarly finger in my direction.)
Hope you stay. It gets better and better, and more interesting.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Great review! And pretty much sums up my opinions of the good. I do agree to bad sides as well, although mine are just a tad different negatives.
It is fact that the weight loss is not as fast as many other plans. I am not a patient woman either.

Before I began, I went and read reviews on Amazon and other websites, to see what the consensus seemed to be. I noticed that even for the ones who reported that this plan was successful in helping achieve goal weight, some did not feel that it continued to help them after a certain point and chose not to be lifelong maintenance JUDDDers.

I hope that you continue to post here even if you do decide not to JUDDD because we all love your writing and stories!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Steph, beautifully said!
Two cents: Two weeks? You're giving us two weeks? I wish I could say something clever enough about Egyptian queens and persistence to convince you to give it two months. Two weeks is barely enough time for your body to come up for air after the first plunge!
Next: DDs are gross at first. I was irritable and unproductive for a month. Now I wish UDs were as productive and calm as DDs. You know how you struggled your way through your sundae and became one of those people you could strangle? Well, DD irritability can change too. (Mark my words, warbled my grandmother, shaking a gnarly finger in my direction.)
Hope you stay. It gets better and better, and more interesting.
I love this post! It is true about the DD and if you give this a month, this will become much better. Kristin has a great way with words as well!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Wonderful, interesting report on your first week, Steph! I also hope you give it a little longer, as things do change over the weeks for most JUDDDers.

I can relate to the "discomfort" to put it mildly, on DDs. I was one of those that took months to really get used to them. It took me a while to realize that in my case, part of my problem was my food choices (turns out I needed more protein foods on DD to feel full instead of soups and breads like so many at the time were enjoying). Funnily enough, as more time went on, things changed even more and I was able to do DD on pretty much ANY food, whether it was protein or not. JUDDD does have a healing, changing effect on us as time goes by.

I should say that I've been maintaining 8 months and only do real JUDDD a small part of the time, but am usually doing variations on it. Let us know if you have any questions as you go along.

KUTGW, Steph! We're here for you - behind you all the way in this!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 07-11-2012 at 09:45 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Sophiecat:

Are you one of the JUDDers who started out at 700 calories on DDs and worked your way lower? If so, what percentage was that for you on the calculator pull down menu for your stats at the time?

I have a reason for asking! Not being randomly snoopy.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Sophiecat:

Are you one of the JUDDers who started out at 700 calories on DDs and worked your way lower? If so, what percentage was that for you on the calculator pull down menu for your stats at the time?

YamYam,
Linda (Beeb) did 700 DD and she said she never went down from there. She was very close to goal and saw that she was losing at 700 cals.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Wonderful post Steph. And I do hope you'll give us at least a month. 2 weeks is about what it takes for the Sirt enzymes to get built up and start working. If you quit then, you might end up quitting just as things were about to get going.

I lol'd at the part about choking those who can't get their ud cals in (me) and then having the same experience. The hunger suppression is real--and seems more pronounced if you stay moderately low carb.

I was pretty close to goal when I started, but it took me a month to lose 2 pounds due to my broken metabolism. I was stalled at 1100 cals/day eating paleo (had previously, easily, lost 20 pounds in 4 mos with this). I am so thrilled with the healing that has taken place that allows me to eat up to 900 cals on a DD and 1500-1600 on an UD and still maintain. I don't doubt that as I age, that 1100 would have had to drop lower to keep me from gaining, and the thought of that was not at all pleasant.

Also, when I first started, fasting was out of the question. I had to space my calories over 3 meals and an afternoon snack or I was just UGLY to be around, and felt horrible. After about 3 months (I took a maintenance break in there for about 6 weeks, so it's hard to judge the actual time it took), I was able to fast until lunch with no problem at all. That is now my current dd plan--fast till lunch, salad with lean protein and ff dressing for lunch, lean protein and stir fry veggies for supper. Maybe some broth with a bit of shrimp for a snack if needed. And I can be productive and happy on DD's, where in the beginning, that was not the case for me either.

It will be interesting to see how things change for you as you go through week 2.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Steph:

First of all I thoroughly appreciated and enjoyed reading your post. It was so good I think you should write a book. Oh! You did! What I seriously mean is you should keep these journalistic posts on file and when your are a teeny-weeny, skinny-minny, and have reached goal you NEED to write a motivational volume or two for the self-help section of book stores. Others will benefit greatly from the gift you have.

Lots of food for thought in your post.

A few questions from me, if you don't mind?

1.Is today a DD or an UD for you?

2.How many calories have you been eating on DDs?

3.Did you come directly to JUDD from a very low carb lifestyle? If so, how long were you following that WOE? Was it low fat like Stillman or Dukan? Or high fat like Atkins?

4. Are you encouraged that you did not gain this week even though you indulged in treats like the Sundae?

5. Was the 1.8 loss an average of your daily weight for the week compared to the weight after your first UD? Was it recorded after an UD or a DD?

I just realized I have more questions than you may want to answer and maybe you don't want to answer any. I just thought of three more, but will hold off and take a moment to tell you why I am asking these.

1. Your post was creative and insightful. Maybe you are more brilliant on DDs than you realize. (Just don't write about food. I cannot watch any food scenes in movies, read them in books or even read the "what are you eating?" thread here on DDs).

2. Many people found DDs impossible at 500 calories or lower. So, some started out at 50% and weekly moved calories down if they were not losing at the higher number. Surprisingly some found they could eat between 35% and 50% and lose still. So why mess with that? The important process in the beginning is to try and get the SIRT1 gene activated and working in your favor. There is science here. Dr. J believes that even eating at 75% will activate the gene.

3. Some people "carb up" for a few days before starting rotations. They take their high weight after the carb fest, keep carbs in their diet and go from there. Others like me who came from low fat/low carb like Dukan just dove in and bounced wildly. I had to pull back on carbs and introduce them slowly to see scale numbers that made me happy.

It is highly, highly likely that you have been burning fat at a speedy rate this past week. At the same time, the tissues in your body have been sucking up impressive amounts of water and glycogen. The fat burning will surely go on even as your body makes important pre-scale drop changes that will heal your metabolism and get you healthy.

4. I asked that one because Nancy and Pat sing the praises of healthy, anti-aging changes that are going on as your body heals to the point where it is ready to let go of significant poundage. My own experience involves being no less than thrilled to keep off weight I have lost. I could lose with low carb like Stillman's QWL, but it was difficult and eventually impossible to keep those losses at bay. What I have lost so far has not come back. Even with some pretty big mess ups where the scale does pop up, getting back into rotations takes it back off quickly.

5. The scale she bounces. Enough said.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
YamYam,
Linda (Beeb) did 700 DD and she said she never went down from there. She was very close to goal and saw that she was losing at 700 cals.
Thanks Sunday! I think you are right. It was Beeb/Linda. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/155.4/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
I am reading, reading up on JUDDD and going to start probably next week, maybe the week following, depending on how RFL goes for me. It is basically two weeks of down days... Oy! Tough, but I really need it to get myself in to gear.

This is a very, very helpful and honest post! Thank you.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Sophiecat:

No prob.

If I recall (without looking it up), I started around there and worked my way down but I didn't stay under 500 for long - just hung around between 550 - 700. I probably averaged the 40% restriction. See, I saw that "maintenance" word tacked onto 40% in the drop-down menu and was afraid it would slow my loss, but that wasn't how it happened, thank goodness. Staying at the higher level didn't matter as long as my 2 day average of calories fell in a certain range.

In maintenance, I would go up to 900 cal or higher on DD if I needed it.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
I can SO relate to wanting to strangle those who said they had trouble eating their UD calories. I had the same reaction to people on WW who had that same trouble eating their measely 1200 calories. When I saw I could eat over 1900 calories on an UD, I feared I'd be in danger of being able to shoot past that number by lunch.

So I was thrilled on two occasions. One was that when I calculated my UD calories that I was eating, I was far below them (hence my weight not moving downward). The other was when that Sirt1 gene kicked in and UDs became a struggle to get enough food in. Talk about shock and awe.

I agree with the others on giving it more than just 2 weeks. It took the Sirt1 gene about 3 weeks - maybe a bit more - to kick in for me. I'm still having trouble losing (just had surgery), but JUDDD is still far superior to any plan I've ever tried because it's just so darn easy to do!

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Suggestion: If you have time on DDs read "Unbroken" and/or "Sarah's Key". Both gave me a new prospective on my relationship with food. Some may find that strange. Of course I also got a lot of other great insights, empathy, knowledge from those books.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Steph, wanted to give you this link to read about the effects of JUDDD that can occur over weeks (beyond just 2 weeks): ~~* JUDDD MAGIC *~~ a survey....
Old 07-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I would like to know, also, what your DD calories are--the percentage, if you don't want to share the specific number.

Because I think it's likely you could eat a higher # on DDs, and feel more productive& less cranky.

The 2 week period is just the "induction". I think it would be great if you could stick it out a bit longer, even if that means you have to increase DD cals...or try the MUDDD schedule!!!

PS:
My first weeks of JUDDD:
1st: +1.6lbs
2nd: -2.2
3rd: -1.7
4th: -6.1!!!

PPS: Those weights are by weekly averages...I mostly ignore the bounces!

PPPS: Some supplements may help with DDs; my faves are l-glutamine, omega-3s, and yerba mate (tea).
New lows, 2014:
6/29 282.8
7/07 280.2
7/13 277.2

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-11-2012 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: PS
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
So much good advice and questions from the vets here, so I'll just nod and say I relate to a lot of what you wrote. I do agree with higher DD calories, even on induction, if you are bigger. Even I have 700 down days now and then, and still lose. And Beeb posted a link about not sweating the low number on the DD... do what you can and ease into it.

I especially relate to the creative focus on the DD thing... My solution is caffeine. That commercial about "mental alertness" seems to be true.

let me qualify by stating that I do NOT drink coffee (reg caf) at all, and decaf only iced with flavor and cream-- so I'm not a coffee drinker. Or tea, or caffinated sodas, b/c I'm really sensitive to it-- usually.

but on Juddd, I find that I can do a liter of green iced tea, over the course of the day on a DD, and I'm not overly hyper, and it REALLY helps me with both the hunger and the mental focus issue.

So, something for you to try, if you're not already used to the caffeine thing

Soren

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)

Last edited by sorenkkg; 07-11-2012 at 02:17 PM..
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Steph, beautifully said!
I'm not ruling out longer--especially if I see results--but there are three reasons I won't commit to more at the moment.

1) I cannot get through this if I change the goal post. I'm really good about meeting deadlines. I promised myself that even if this was horrid, it was only for two weeks. If I start lying to myself now that's not a good place to be.

2) I'm not yet convinced of the science involved; I _am_ quite nervous about ruining whatever remains of my metabolism in pursuit of a diet that may not work, so I'm wary. I'm hopeful. I'm excited. I'm thrilled to have met you all and discovered what might be a great miracle in my life, but I have to take things slow and see how I feel after two weeks.

3) This year, one of my novels, Song of the Nile, has been nominated for a RITA Award, which is the highest award one can receive in the romance genre. It's a pretty big deal, akin to the Oscars, with a golden statuette and everything. And it's presented at the annual Romance Writer's Convention which begins on the 24th of the month. As a participant and guest of the conference, it will be very hard for me to adhere to any sort of diet plan both because I will be at the hotel's mercy in terms of food choices, and because I have dinner and lunch meetings almost every single day.

Moreover, I cannot be cranky while meeting with readers, fans and colleagues. I can be mindful of my eating. I can try not to go crazy. But having attempted and failed at every attempt I've ever made to diet during such a convention, I'm not sure I can handle the stress of committing to this during that time period. (Mind you, I'm not stressed about winning or losing. The other authors I'm up against are huge well-loved authors whereas I'm a relatively new author, so I know I'm going to lose, but I just want to do it gracefully!)

In the end, this conference a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. I do not want to spend a moment of it writing down all my food choices every day; in fact, I won't have time to do that. I know that the motto here is that life happens. And this is a really big deal in my life, so I have to take stock at the end of this two weeks and see how I feel about carrying this to California with me.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a whiny baby. I'm just trying to be honest about why I chose two weeks and why I'm not changing my commitment just yet

Last edited by stephdray; 07-11-2012 at 08:39 PM..
Old 07-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I would like to know, also, what your DD calories are--the percentage, if you don't want to share the specific number.
500 DD calories, as per Dr. Johnson's website. I have stuck to that within 40 calories each day. I'm not looking to tweak anything yet. I just wanted to write out my experience as it has been the past week.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Congrats on the nomination!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Congrats on the nomination!!!
Yes, congratulations, Steph! Whoo hoo!!! Big time!!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you piratejenny and sophiethecat!

Also, thank you piratejenny for posting your numbers a few posts ago. It did help to put some things in perspective for sure.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 156/156/130 - 5'4", Age: 53
WOE: JUDDD 1900/800 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD restart June 2014
How very excited and proud you must be about being nominated! We are all pulling for you and crossing fingers!

I understand what you mean about not exactly trusting the science behind JUDDD. I mean how many times have we fallen, over and over, because we thought a certain diet would fix us and we would finally be able to be normal? There are so many of us who have found a really workable WOE in JUDDD that our enthusiasm overcomes us--we want everyone we meet to see what we get out of this way of living. It's not just physically how good we feel over time, but emotionally and mentally freeing to interact with food in a more objective way--being relaxed around food even.

That's why we seem a bit pushy sometimes!

Lost 3 pounds from Jan 1 2012 til April 30 2012 by "eating healthy", LC, etc...
Lost 12 pounds from May 1 2012 til September 1 2012 with JUDDD

Down and Up 10-15# every year since 2000 with VLC, semi LC and Carb Cycling
Anticipating forever success with JUDDD!!
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
Cactusrose63 I have been trying to think of a way to say just that. I realized many years ago that I would always need to diet and really I am amazed I didn't give up. JUDDD has done for me what I thought was impossible. I am still dieting but it has become something I enjoy and it doesn't consume all of my energy. It has changed me in a good way and I can get over zealous in my desire to share my findings with others. I just keep telling myself that just because it works for me doesn't mean it will work for everyone but I really hope it works for you. I am hoping that the "woosh fairy" visits you soon as she can be quite convincing. (appetite suppression took 3 months for me and I really never believed it would happen unless I was doing VLC). I just bought your books on my iPad and look forward to reading them on my upcoming vacation!)
Old 07-12-2012, 04:49 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hollyitworks
Stats: 185/168/130 -17 Woohoo!
WOE: JUDDD (Is there any other way?)
Start Date: Restart July 2012 JUDDD. Start May 2012 Atkins
Thanks for the info, really somethings to look forward to

Thanks for all the things to look forward to. I'm wondering about the DD calories also. I've survived these first 3 DD on 600-475, depending on whether I thought I might die. LOL! or if I may kill someone at my house. But if DD could be 700 that may be easier.Well of course it would be easier. I do have to say, I need to plan better on my DD's but I started JUDDD on a not so good financial week, dh, not paying attention to checkbook..paid house payment and other bills. ooops you must check the amount of cash in there 1st. I know it seems like a magic money tree. but it's not.

Anyway, not to hijack this thread. Can't wait for the magic to start. I already feel in control. I won't let DD's get me, I want to lose weight and up days I'm not so crazy hungry. Bring on this glow
hollyitworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Congrats on the nomination! And of course you wouldn't want to spend that glorious time trying to log every bite. Hoping 2 weeks of JUDDD will get some sirt enzymes flowing to help you with your mindful eating during that time, and then maybe you'll come back to the rotations again.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I'd like to address your concerns that you're not sure about the validity of the science behind why JUDDD is good for you. I've got a couple of articles stashed where I can copy them, or go back and read them when I want to refresh my memory. Here is a short synopsis of a story that was on Dr. Mercola's site recently:
Story at-a-glance
New research suggests fasting triggers a variety of health-promoting hormonal and metabolic changes that may help prevent age-related brain shrinkage and other chronic and debilitating diseases
Fasting—quantified as consuming somewhere between 500 and 800 calories in a day—has been shown to reduce growth factor—a hormone linked with cancer and diabetes—LDL cholesterol, and inflammation levels, among other things. The protective processes triggered in your brain when suddenly decreasing your food intake are similar to the beneficial effects of exercise
Calorie restriction appears to protect your brain cells and make them more resilient against stress. This protective effect is in part due to fasting’s effect on leptin and ghrelin; two hormones involved in appetite regulation
While it’s long been known that restricting calories in certain animals can increase their lifespan by as much as 50 percent, more recent research suggests that sudden and intermittent calorie restriction appears to provide the same health benefits as constant calorie restriction, which may be helpful for those who cannot successfully reduce their everyday calorie intake
In the US, six of the top 10 sources of calories are carbohydrates from sugars and grains, and this is a major reason why so many Americans are overweight. They’re simply eating far too many sugars. It’s very important to restrict carbs when doing a calorie restrictive diet and replace them with healthy high quality fats

I also have a longer story I won't post here, but if you google a blog called the IF Life, you can find an entry about the advantages of intermittant fasting that has some good references to the studies that support the JUDDD style of eating.

Personally, JUDDD has been the missing piece for me to finally get to my goal weight (actually, below), and STAY there for over seven months. I love this way of eating. Also, many times I've needed to have two UDs in a row due to social obligations. I don't sweat it. I expect the scales to jump up with water weight, but I also always see them go back down if I just continue on in my rotations. I hope you get to experience the JUDDD magic for yourself!
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Steph:
What I seriously mean is you should keep these journalistic posts on file and when your are a teeny-weeny, skinny-minny, and have reached goal you NEED to write a motivational volume or two for the self-help section of book stores. Others will benefit greatly from the gift you have.
It'll help me, for sure, to look back and see my journey!

Lots of food for thought in your post.

Quote:
2.How many calories have you been eating on DDs?
500 calories.

Quote:
3.Did you come directly to JUDD from a very low carb lifestyle? If so, how long were you following that WOE? Was it low fat like Stillman or Dukan? Or high fat like Atkins?
I was actually doing Weight Watchers.

Quote:
4. Are you encouraged that you did not gain this week even though you indulged in treats like the Sundae?
I'll be honest; not really. I don't believe that I would have gained on that sundae alone on any other plan but possibly Atkins. I'm a very big woman with much to lose. And, in fact, I was losing on WW at 1700 calories a day. So, if calories in equal calories out, and I'm averaging 1500 calories a day now, I should be losing weight even if all 1500 of those calories every day were sundaes.

Now, I don't necessarily believe that weight loss is always as simple as calories in and calories out. There are some variables. But I have a hard time believing that these variables would be kicking in this early when I have this much to lose and at my age. And if I did believe it, I'd be just as likely to believe that I have just taught my body that it can survive on 500 calories a day, and so when I eat my up days, it is storing it as fat. That's a terrifying thought.

Quote:
5. Was the 1.8 loss an average of your daily weight for the week compared to the weight after your first UD? Was it recorded after an UD or a DD?
It was recorded at the end of the week after an up day.

Quote:
Many people found DDs impossible at 500 calories or lower. So, some started out at 50% and weekly moved calories down if they were not losing at the higher number. Surprisingly some found they could eat between 35% and 50% and lose still. So why mess with that? The important process in the beginning is to try and get the SIRT1 gene activated and working in your favor. There is science here. Dr. J believes that even eating at 75% will activate the gene.
Wouldn't want to mess with anything until after the two weeks as the doctor prescribed them, I think. But after that, I might!

Quote:
Some people "carb up" for a few days before starting rotations. They take their high weight after the carb fest, keep carbs in their diet and go from there. Others like me who came from low fat/low carb like Dukan just dove in and bounced wildly. I had to pull back on carbs and introduce them slowly to see scale numbers that made me happy.
My carbs on WW averaged about 100. Not low carb levels but not crazy high either.

Quote:
I asked that one because Nancy and Pat sing the praises of healthy, anti-aging changes that are going on as your body heals to the point where it is ready to let go of significant poundage. My own experience involves being no less than thrilled to keep off weight I have lost. I could lose with low carb like Stillman's QWL, but it was difficult and eventually impossible to keep those losses at bay. What I have lost so far has not come back. Even with some pretty big mess ups where the scale does pop up, getting back into rotations takes it back off quickly.
Oh, for sure, JUDDD looks like the best maintenance plan ever invented. It's just that I really need to lose. A lot. And it has to happen soon or WLS is the next step. I am, by no means, throwing in the towel. I just wanted to give an honest and objective appraisal.

The best thing JUDDD has going for it, though? You! All of you are so wonderful, I'm not sure I could be without you!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post
I'd like to address your concerns that you're not sure about the validity of the science behind why JUDDD is good for you. I've got a couple of articles stashed where I can copy them, or go back and read them when I want to refresh my memory. Here is a short synopsis of a story that was on Dr. Mercola's site recently:
Story at-a-glance
New research suggests fasting triggers a variety of health-promoting hormonal and metabolic changes that may help prevent age-related brain shrinkage and other chronic and debilitating diseases
Fasting—quantified as consuming somewhere between 500 and 800 calories in a day—has been shown to reduce growth factor—a hormone linked with cancer and diabetes—LDL cholesterol, and inflammation levels, among other things. The protective processes triggered in your brain when suddenly decreasing your food intake are similar to the beneficial effects of exercise
Calorie restriction appears to protect your brain cells and make them more resilient against stress. This protective effect is in part due to fasting’s effect on leptin and ghrelin; two hormones involved in appetite regulation
While it’s long been known that restricting calories in certain animals can increase their lifespan by as much as 50 percent, more recent research suggests that sudden and intermittent calorie restriction appears to provide the same health benefits as constant calorie restriction, which may be helpful for those who cannot successfully reduce their everyday calorie intake
In the US, six of the top 10 sources of calories are carbohydrates from sugars and grains, and this is a major reason why so many Americans are overweight. They’re simply eating far too many sugars. It’s very important to restrict carbs when doing a calorie restrictive diet and replace them with healthy high quality fats

I also have a longer story I won't post here, but if you google a blog called the IF Life, you can find an entry about the advantages of intermittant fasting that has some good references to the studies that support the JUDDD style of eating.

Personally, JUDDD has been the missing piece for me to finally get to my goal weight (actually, below), and STAY there for over seven months. I love this way of eating. Also, many times I've needed to have two UDs in a row due to social obligations. I don't sweat it. I expect the scales to jump up with water weight, but I also always see them go back down if I just continue on in my rotations. I hope you get to experience the JUDDD magic for yourself!
Thanks for posting this Redhead. Before beginning JUDDD, I read a plethora of info on IF and I have to agree that the science is definitely behind it.

The problem with IF is that it is not backed by mega advertising campaigns such as South Beach, Atkins and WW. So it will never have the publicity that the other types of weight loss plans have. I will have to hunt for Yam Yam's thread on the scientific research, because we really should have that as a sticky.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Steph:

Once a JUDD BUDD always a JUDD BUDD. You have become one of the family members here and are well-loved.

You will be fine. This is my conclusion after reading your updates. You will be better than fine.

Congratulations on the exciting nomination! You need to enjoy every nano-second and every morsel of food and drop of drink when you go to California.

Remember when you went to P.F. Changs and were surprised to bring leftovers home? Or when you still had calories to use after the sundae on an UD? My prediction is that you will experience NSVs like this in spades while you are celebrating on your trip and also afterwards.

You might not have enough spare time right now to dig in to more of the research that's going on regarding CRON, IF and the SIR family of genes and that's ok. The best research is the kind we do ourselves.

From one deadline junkie to another: I respect your plan to set a two week time line for this part of your research. Please be open minded about the week after (6 days maybe?) but before you leave for the awards.

If you can continue DDs of even 75% calories every other day until you leave, it should be sufficient to keep the magic enzymes we all talk about circulating in your system. From what I have read, even in Dr. J's book, depletion of the SIR proteins happens slowly. They stay in your system from 10 to 14 days AFTER you stop calorie restriction through Intermittent Fasting.

Side note: The Silent Information Regulator (SIRT1) becomes activated through restriction or IF. It then stimulates production of a special protein that can only be produced inside the body. It's not a protein you can eat or a pill you can take. This special protein is also referred to as an enzyme, or sirtuin enzymes, and it has been said that it acts like a hormone and has a great effect on the hypothalamus and therefore on other hormones in regard to weight regulation and longevity.

Back to the show: What does this all mean? It means if you have sufficiently built up sirtuins they will be doing all their unique work for you while you are enjoying life and breaks from a "diet" mentality for as much as 10 to 14 days. (And beyond in a way)

What is the unique work we here are interested in? 1. Shuttling many of the extra calories we eat quickly out of the body so they cannot be stored as fat. 2. Continuing the work of burning previously stored fat and keeping the metabolism revved to use energy. 3. Getting the hormone, Leptin, to do it's duty -- telling the brain we are happy, satiated, we don't have to over-stuff ourselves.

And, (beyond) when vacations are over, making it fairly easy for the rotations to start up again and work quickly in our favor.

You will gain. But not like the gain often seen on a break from other diets.

Have you read this yet? "Judd is forgiving!"

I have gained as much as 8 pounds after a vacation which involved a non stop food fest. One week of rotations took it off. Judd is forgiving.

One more question: Do you have any close friends who have had WLS?

From my observation of friends who have done it, it is just one more tool in the arsenal. It's not "the answer", it's not a quick fix as so many commentators have bantered about. It involves suffering. Diligence. I know people who "eat their way around it" and have gained back the weight. The ones who keep it off work hard to do so.

I had to laugh the other day when a friend observed that most people are goal oriented. We set a goal. We achieve it. We celebrate. We relax in that accomplishment and move on to another.

Not with losing weight! This friend recently went back to school and graduated with two degrees. She walked, adorned in blue cap and gown, with the rest of the 2012 class to receive her reward. The coveted diploma! She said, "The next day I didn't have to go back to school! Woo-Hoo! I did it! Mission accomplished!"

Then she pointed out that with losing weight it's different. You reach your goal on the scale. Woo-Hoo! But unlike not going back to college the next day, we losers have to continue the journey....

Sorry this got out of hand! Ha. You inspire me to wax on.

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 07-12-2012 at 10:10 AM..