Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IThinkICan
Stats: 218/142-144/145
WOE: HCG-R5P4 JUDDD
Doh... I have to reduce the size of my rings! Need advice...

I haven't worn my wedding and engagement rings for a few months now (*gasp*) because they kept falling off my fingers. But I was in the midst of weight loss, so I didn't want to resize too soon if I'd just need to resize again.

Now I'm pretty steadily maintaining my weight and overall size, and I'm curious - should there be a cost to reducing ring sizes? I mean, don't they get to keep some of the gold? I am not a jewelry person, so I'm kinda clueless. I do have one slightly bent prong on the diamond of my engagement ring, so that could cost something else. I just don't know what to expect or what type of place to go to. I'm a fairly simple person and these rings are probably the most (monetarily) valuable items I own, so I kinda worry about doing the right thing with them.
IThinkICan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I'm not sure what it will cost, but I am sure they will charge. I haven't worn mine for months either, so I'm curious what others have done.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
You can ask for the piece that is cut out. We did that when we bought dh's....it was too big to start. I haven't been able to bring myself to have mine resized yet.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
from a decent jeweler they should give you the leftover and only charge a minimal fee for the work (maybe 20 bucks? I think it was 12 the last time I did it but that was a LONG time ago)
every girl should have a friendly local jeweler. I prefer them to the chain stores.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I had mine sized UP a couple years ago (when I just resigned myself that I wasn't going to be able to lose weight), and had a couple of prongs fixed and the total was around $45.

It's loose now, but in the summer, it still works. It's really loose in the winter, but I'm leery of getting it resized and then being tight when it's hot.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pookie_13
Stats: 252/188/150 ? Down 5.3 lb on JUDDDD
WOE: SouthBeach, Atkins, Now JUDDD 6-29-12!
Start Date: July 5, 2010
You might also want to check with the jeweler where the rings were bought. Mine will up or down size for free for as long as I own them. They might charge to fix the prong, but it's worth checking into! I need to get mine resized, too. I just don't want to leave them for the couple of days it will take. I had to leave them at home when I took the kiddos swimming because I was afraid I would lose them they are so loose! ....and I felt weird without them! In almost 14 years, the only time I haven't had them on was when I was VERY pregnant!

Good luck!
-Pookie
pookie_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IThinkICan
Stats: 218/142-144/145
WOE: HCG-R5P4 JUDDD
I live in Florida, so I don't need to worry about changes in climate. (I miss winter though!)

The engagement ring was from Sears, but I can't place my fingers on any of the paperwork from that purchase. (Too many moves and reshifting of important papers! I know - so bad!) I don't know how/if they'd help. The wedding band was from Kay. Again... paperwork?

I've only been here for about a year, so I really don't have a good sense of where to go. I might just wait until we visit some relatives who are big into jewelry - or perhaps my step-mil could help me out with connections because she works in a Sears. That's a thought.

It is comforting to know I'm not the only one who hasn't been wearing her rings though! I remember paying to have them sized up when I was at my highest weight - I actually couldn't get them off my finger and it was a process at the store! So embarrassing... so glad I don't have to do that again!

Thanks for the thoughts everyone!
IThinkICan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Acor
Stats: 160/128/115 5'2
It you go to Sears, they'd probably have to send it away to be resized. Look in the phone book for a local jeweler and give them a call - a real jeweler will be able to do the work on property, not mail it off somewhere. I've always been able to get my rings back the same day if I take them in early enough.
Acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
I don't know about the ring sizing but just wanted to congratulate you on your weight maintance success!
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I've had them sized and it's usually under $50. I've gone to jewelry repair shops at the mall and they did a good job, but maybe try a local jeweler or the one you bought from? They should give you a good price and do a good job.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Chiming in on the above-- funny thing for me, last year, I finally gave in and had mine sized UP and it was only about $50 (I went out of my way to go back to the jeweler who custom made them for me).

When I was losing weight prior to the wedding 8yrs ago, my finger got smaller than the original size, and he said that to size the ring, he had to remake it entirely-- used the current ring as a mold/model, and made the new smaller one from that.

on the way up, he just cut the band and added gold.

Of course, now I'll want it smaller again, so not sure what he's going to do-- but I look forward to it.

Anyway, regardless-- having the right sized ring, so you don't lose it AND can wear it and enjoy it, is worth the $, IMO.

congrats on maintaining your loss!! woo hoo!
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Another option to getting your rings resized is to use a ring you normally wear on a smaller finger under your too big ring. It acts as a safe guard to prevent the bigger ring from slipping off. Not under but put it on after you put the bigger ring on. I've done this and if the rings look good together it works out great!
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote