Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
JUDDD vs Rapid Fat Loss... down day questions

Hi all!

I have been successful on LC for a long time- I am very cyclical in my eating, so I have something coming up (like an event or vacation) work hard on eating well and exercising, lose the weight, and promptly gain it back after. I have about a twenty pound window that I cannot get out of. We left for vacation two months ago tomorrow, and I am about 15 pounds up from that. At some point, I am going to completely ruin my metabolism.

Anyway! We are going on vacation the last week of August, and I came across the suggestion of the RFL diet on another forum here. I have read it, and decided to give it a try. I am on day one today.

I have read about JUDDD before, but was always wary of the down days. However, I just looked at my nutrition so far for the day, and realized I am mid-way through what would be a down day, for sure. So maybe I could actually do this long term...

I have some questions. Do any of you exercise on your down days? Do you always rotate every other between up and down days? Have you ever had losing/gaining patterns like me, and does JUDDD help with that?

Fitness - If it came in a bottle, everybody would have a great body.
- Cher
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I find exercising on DD great, as you are well nourished from your UD.

Lots of people exercise on DDs, much harder that I do too.

I used to have a window of around 10 lbs when I was doing Atkins. I now maintain around 8 lbs lower that than the bottom end of that window. I love JUDDD
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
For me, exercise on DDs is better then on UDs! I just have endless energy. Since starting JUDD I just don't have really huge swings on the scale. I really believe in the science behind the SIR genes and the magic they do. They prevent extra calories (like you might eat on vacation) from being stored as fat. and, they work overtime to burn up previously stored fat. There is no better WOE for me than JUDD.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you both! I think I am going to do two full weeks of RFL, and then transition to JUDDD.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
Thank you both! I think I am going to do two full weeks of RFL, and then transition to JUDDD.
And just feel free to pop in any time with questions or comments. We are all so glad you are here!
Old 07-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
I try to exercise everyday!! I run a mile, but at work I also run up and down the steps at lunch, until my client yells because I am annoying him! I have found I just feel better to do it than to skip it!

I did the same thing on LC I had a 15 lb window that I would keep gaining and losing over and over. But sadly, even when I lost the 15lbs you would of never known!

With JUDDD, I have a 5lb window for bouncing, but it usually depends on what I ate, how the bathroom went, and how much I drank. I keep a journal and have learned my pattern. But unlike LC, my bounces turn to losses. I have a thread I posted with in the last week (my almost 4 months on JUDDD) I have a before and after picture and all my inches lost listed! I have to be honest............I have never ever ever seen these results on LC for me!!!!!!

The down days in the beginning are hard, but once you get used to them, they become second nature! Honestly wait til the day its a up day and you forget that you can eat! I have had that happen a few times!!!

All I can say is JUDDD is the best thing I have ever found on the internet! Its something that my body is loving! I think if you give it a month, you will start to love it too! I say a month because once you hit that month mark and look back you will be amazed too!!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you all for the warm welcome and quick responses!

My hope is that knowing the up days are coming and planning for those will help me keep in control overall. I have also recommitted to journaling as well. I am back on the edge of my clothes not fitting... I can only buy small new clothing not big new clothing!
Old 07-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)

Well, I can honestly say, that for me this has been the best WOE, EVER! Check out the thread "What do *you* love about JUDDD?"
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Miller, I do the regular rotation. Love it. And I used to do the lose-15-before-the-gig-and-gain-it-right-back thing. Truth is, if I'd found an enjoyable way to take it off and keep it off, I'd have done it sooner. So yeah, I'd say JUDDD is one good answer to that situation. It's a lot of fun being here, too. That counts for a lot.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I am just going to keep posting my questions here, because you all are so friendly and helpful!

1. If you know you have something coming up that will cause the need for an up day, do you alter your rotation (i.e. do two down days) before?

2. How do you all manage alcohol (if you drink)? Add it in to calories only on up days, not count it, not drink at all?
Old 07-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Miller, other people will chip in about altering rotations. I never have, it just seems simpler to me to keep the UD-DD pattern. If I'm going out on a DD, I save all my calories till late in the day.
What people will say is don't do two consecutive DDs. Your body begins to conserve energy, then. What I've heard is that you can do DD-MD-UD if you want to change the rotation. Somebody else will elaborate.
Re: booze, just add the calories. Lots of people do. Me, I like food too much. I have the odd glass of wine or beer on an UD. Your choice completely.
That's the great thing about JUDDD. It works around your choices.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
I am just going to keep posting my questions here, because you all are so friendly and helpful!

1. If you know you have something coming up that will cause the need for an up day, do you alter your rotation (i.e. do two down days) before?

2. How do you all manage alcohol (if you drink)? Add it in to calories only on up days, not count it, not drink at all?
Ask away!

1. You can choose to alter your UD for special occasions by inserting a MD the day before. In other words think "small-medium-large". So, you would have your DD then MD then UD in that order.

2. Definitely add in the calories no matter when you have it. I went out to dinner on my last DD and had a glass of red wine. I counted the calories. I definitely count calories if I have it on UDs as well.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Kristen: Great minds think alike! We were posting at the same time!

Thought I would also mention that some of us, me included, keep in mind the full range of DD calorie options from 20% all the way to 45%. Use the pull down menu on Dr. J's calculator to get those and jot them down. At 45% you will still be in WLM. That way you can keep your rotations if you wish and still have more flexibility when a special occasion falls on a DD.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Ok you all have got me all sucked in... I am reading threads, ordered the book, and am pricing blenders for some pea powder smoothies for down days!

Here's my next question- do you adjust your UD totals as you lose?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I have finally had to because I stopped losing. The consensus is, I believe, is to leave it alone until you weightloss stalls or stops completely. I sure hated to lower my calories since I was sure enjoying the higher ones. I lost 25 pounds before I had to revisit the calculator.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #16
dee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dee
Stats: (HW196)188/181.4/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart Nov 26.13 (formerly HHCG 2 rounds)
[QUOTE=millergirl1976;15793351]Ok you all have got me all sucked in... I am reading threads, ordered the book, and am pricing blenders for some pea powder smoothies for down days! /QUOTE]
oh please please share your ideas for pea protein smoothies! I bought a huge bag of it when I was low carbing and it has just sat in my cupboard unopened for many months. No clue as to what I should do about it.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

dee, I can't take credit for this idea it came from ouizoid.

"I have recently found that netrition sells Pea Powder Protein (NOW). one scoop is 130 calories and 28 grams of protein.

I am making a shake mixing one sleeve 4C orange powder (like crystal lite but splenda), 1/2 tsp glu powder and 1/2 scoop PPP (65 calories and 14 g protein).

Mid morning shake that carries me through for hours--very filling, high protein--only 65 calories."

In other news, I just had a terrific dinner which I think would function beatifully as a delicious and filling DD meal:
A white cheddar and spinach chicken pattie from Costco (180)
A serving of thin green beans from TJ freezer (25)
A bag of miracle rice (0)
A laughing cow wedge (35)

A delicious and filling meal for 240 calories! This may not be as complicated as I thought...
Old 09-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Could someone explain what the acronym JUDD means? I am brand new to low carbing and interested in finding the best possible WOE. Also unfamiliar with DD and UD, if you could explain that too.

I just started with a popular online tracker. Is there a way to program it for low-carb? It says I have a remainder of 328 calories left to eat today, after breakfast, lol. Of course I'm also already almost over on protein, and deficient on carbs. Not sure that tracking with a "normal" calorie tracker works well for this WOE. Alternatives?

Thanks for listening (and explaining, hopefully).

I have just read Gary Taubes, "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It". He claims that calories have no bearing on losing weight, as long as they come from protein or green vegetables. I see a lot of people tracking calories and that surprises me, as I had thought higher calories with this WOE was the goal.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 09-12-2012 at 08:33 AM..
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
It is JUDDD
Johnson's Up Day Down Day
His book is actually titled The Alternate Day Diet. It is based solely on calories. Not carbs, protein or fat. Just calories. You are free to eat however you choose as long as you track the calories. And I am not sure what you mean by higher calories being the goal.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #20

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Hi Library girl, as you will see, JUDDD is listed in 'Other Plans' and if you are going to be low caring, this is probably not where you want to be, although, having said that, quite a number of we JUDDDers do follow a LC plan too. Initially however I think that may complicate things for you.

I would say, however, that you could lose weigh5 on JUDDD while still eating carbs.

I too have read all the Taubes books and agree with a grat deal of what he has to say. But after 11 years following that lifestyle I have found renewed health and additional weight loss on JUDDD.

Whatever you decide, I wish you success.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ack-juddd.html
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
It is JUDDD
Johnson's Up Day Down Day
His book is actually titled The Alternate Day Diet. It is based solely on calories. Not carbs, protein or fat. Just calories. You are free to eat however you choose as long as you track the calories. And I am not sure what you mean by higher calories being the goal.
I guess I came to the wrong thread. I thought this entire site was dedicated to Low Carb, as the title of it is "Low Carb Friends" lol. I guess I used the wrong word when I said "goal", but one of the attributes, in my opinion, of eating low carbs/high protein/fat is eating *more* calories and still losing weight. However, again, I came to the wrong thread and I apologize.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #22
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
You can low-carb on JUDDD easily
The bottom line is: there are no food restrictions or food requirements - only calories count. So if you're inclined to low-carb, you're good to do JUDDD
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I guess I came to the wrong thread. I thought this entire site was dedicated to Low Carb, as the title of it is "Low Carb Friends" lol. I guess I used the wrong word when I said "goal", but one of the attributes, in my opinion, of eating low carbs/high protein/fat is eating *more* calories and still losing weight. However, again, I came to the wrong thread and I apologize.
No need to apologize Librarygirl! We are all here to support each other in our weight loss pursuits. If you ever miss carbs or want to try low carb JUDDD come back! Some of us are still low carbing and many of us are former low carb dieters here. I wish you great dieting success with the program that works best for you.

Last edited by Babsbabs; 09-12-2012 at 10:15 AM..
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #24

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Could someone explain what the acronym JUDD means? I am brand new to low carbing and interested in finding the best possible WOE. Also unfamiliar with DD and UD, if you could explain that too.

I just started with a popular online tracker. Is there a way to program it for low-carb? It says I have a remainder of 328 calories left to eat today, after breakfast, lol. Of course I'm also already almost over on protein, and deficient on carbs. Not sure that tracking with a "normal" calorie tracker works well for this WOE. Alternatives?

Thanks for listening (and explaining, hopefully).

I have just read Gary Taubes, "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It". He claims that calories have no bearing on losing weight, as long as they come from protein or green vegetables. I see a lot of people tracking calories and that surprises me, as I had thought higher calories with this WOE was the goal.
Most of the online trackers will let you change your macros in settings, so that if you want a certain limit on carbs or to increase your allowed protein, etc., you can do that. Not sure which one you're using, but the one I use allows me to change my personal settings.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote