Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Buttercup204
Stats: 204/197/165
WOE: NK/JUDDD
Carb-laden UD experiment is a bust I think!

I'm not sure what's up but everytime I include carbs in my UD I never lose on the following few DDs. It's discouraging really. Probably because of all my time on Atkins (2 years w/o losses) I sort of "go off the rails" with my carbs on UDs. I was experimenting ill give you that but, I think my experiment should be over and it's with a heavy heart that I bid my favorite carbs adieu for now. I am literally in the same dang spot on the scale that I was after my initial whoosh loss in the first two weeks. Well add about half a lb more lost if I teeter on the scale just right. grrrr. I started the end of May at 204. I'm then lost about 12 lbs in 14 days, then just stayed there ever since. It's a bit discouraging but I am pretty sure I know why. I've been eating too many carbs and sending myself into a bit of a frenzy those days. I get so hungry, it's like I can't get enough food in me. Not good food either. I won't get into the gory details but it's bad. I would consider it a binge...I had to tell myself: "Put the food down! Now!" It wasn't easy either. So I need to get back to basics and be gentler with myself especially in regards to carbs. I do allow myself a carb meal every so often but never for long, only one meal in any one UD and try to make decent choices when I do. I found myself actually almost bingeing on slim fast shakes! Weird. I have been craving them, it's kinda freaking me out. Not sure what to do with myself right now. I feel out of control and hopeless and I have 35-40 lbs to go. I feel like there's something wrong with me! I haven't even exercised since last Sunday and before that, it was four weeks! Ack!! I think I'm just too stressed from work. I'm hoping that gets better soon. There's just no telling though. I should probably walk more as its gentle, doesn't require special clothes and it doesn't give me shin splints like jogging does right now.

My self esteem is really bad today. I was going through some boxes from my move last yr and found photos of me from last yr and earlier where I weighed less than I do now and I looked terrible. Imagine what I look like now. I can't bring myself to put an honest to goodness recent photo on my profile because I'm so ashamed. The one I have is from me forty lbs thinner in '07, my goal weight. Sigh. Depressing!

-Michelle

P.S. I wanted to add that in '07 I reached that goal weight by dabbling in JUDDD at the time after getting sick of starving on Nutrisytem for six months. Too bad I didn't keep up with JUDDD. It's hard though, it's definitely not easy and I think I was tired of starving at the time in any way at all, even alternate days!
2nd Mini-goal: 190
3rd Mini-goal: 185
4th Mini-goal: 180
5th Mini-goal: 175
6th Mini -goal: 170
Goal: 155-165 & size 8/10 or whatever weight gets rid of my wobbly bits!

Last edited by Buttercup204; 07-08-2012 at 08:32 PM..
Buttercup204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I'm guessing the carbs are keeping your body in fat storage mode. Insulin signals your body to store the incoming fuel as fat, and it can even keep it from getting to your cells to feed your body. So your cells send out signals that they need fuel (hunger) because what you just took in didn't get to them. So you eat more carbs, which causes insulin to be released, and the cycle continues.

You are likely going to have to stay off the carbs for a time so that your body gets the message that it needs to burn fat for fuel (it would much prefer a steady source of glucose, so don't expect it to switch over without a fight--usually 4 days is enough to settle the cravings, but you may have a tough couple of days). Stick with the rotations lower carb for a few weeks to get those sirt enzymes really flowing. And then introduce carbs SLOWLY, one type at a time. Try more veggies first. Then some low sugar fruits (berries). If all goes well with that, try higher sugar fruits. Then maybe a sweet potato. Save grains and sugars for last, and be ready to pull back to previous levels if you notice the cravings/hunger starting to increase.

Some of us are just more carb sensitive than others, and need this gradual re-introduction. (some, like me, simply can't do grain/sugar, period). But if you take it slow, you'll be able to learn what you can tolerate. And JUDDD may give you enough healing that even things you can't tolerate now, you will be able to several months from now.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
I'm right there with you Michelle on the carb loading equalling bad cravings and out of control eating. I lost most of my weight on LC then moved to JUDDD and hit goal a few months ago. I'm maintaining so far on the scale, but I'm starting to get that puffy, squishy feeling I had before LC and my clothes are fitting tighter. I've been letting my dessert carb addiction get out of control, and I need to put a screeching halt to that NOW. It really is a type of addiction. Back to strict LC for me for a while. I really like Mykidsteacher's suggestions. They make lots of "tough love" sense.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Tina! Great advice. I think you're totally right. My body is just more carb sensitive than it used to be and it's tough to realize that for this junk food junkie. For how much my mother wouldn't let me have sugar, wheat, dairy, and beef I sure found a way to eat a lot of microwave junk food when I was a teen! I figured I could get away with it so I did. It's caught up with me I guess! So frustrating! I'm still in denial of losing my "naturally thin" body and it's been a lot of years!

I'm trying to get myself out of denial and focus on the positives: this way of eating has brought me closer to my goal than anything else so I need to stop sabotaging myself!

I won't know what to do with myself when I am skinny again!!! That's a problem I want to have.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Hi Tracy! Thanks for your thoughts. Very helpful! I think we're sort of in the same boat. I know when my eating is getting out of control. Once I realize that and I get back to good Low Carb eating I feel so completely different it's really kind of weird. it takes me usually about two days to get back to ketosis and that lovely reduced appetite. One good DD seems to speed things along for some reason. Not sure why. I think I'm back on track this evening and already feeling better. Tomorrow is a DD and I'm bringing protein water to work with me! Wish me luck!

-Michelle
Old 07-09-2012, 03:42 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Michelle, I LOVE your ability to describe the carby mental state. I wish, on days when we feel like what you're describing, that juddd buddettes could knock us out and just walk us forward through juddd until it gets peaceful again.
When I feel like the Tasmanian devil-in-a-bag, I have to get myself far, far away from the junky carbs for a few days. Then peace comes back. And the freakin' scale begins to move again.
I also love Tina's thoughts. I hope they help.
Love and solidarity, JUDDD sister. We're with you.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/152/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
Michelle I know exactly what you are going through and I'm so glad you posted this because I have come to the exact same conclusion lately. I have still been losing weight slowly as I'm trying to stick with my calories but I'm ashamed to tell you what I ate yesterday on my UD. We were travelling and my husband refused to stop for lunch so I ate 2 cookies and a bowl of cereal for breakfast, jojo potatoes from a gas station for lunch, a large chocolate dipped ice cream cone, a few bites of my kids mac and cheese and copious amounts of beer and wine last night This is not completely normal as we have been travelling but it finally made me realize that I have a sickness that JUDDD is NOT going to fix for me. I wish I was one of those people that could take or leave sugar/grains etc, but I'm not and so for me, I'm going to have to keep away from it.

The great news is if we can get rid of those awful cravings, we actually get to each much more, much healthier food and feel that great sense of peace that JUDDD brings. Mykidsteacher has some awesome suggestions and eliminating them for a time does not mean you can never have your favorite food again like most diets, just not today! I hope everything works out for you. Keep us updated!

Last edited by brewstate; 07-09-2012 at 06:19 AM..
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pookie_13
Stats: 252/188/150 ? Down 5.3 lb on JUDDDD
WOE: SouthBeach, Atkins, Now JUDDD 6-29-12!
Start Date: July 5, 2010
First, I want to say that you are completely normal. Many of us have a tendency to beat ourselves up because we did something "wrong" or we don't fit into clothes we want to or we aren't happy with our body images. I for one am trying to get over this tendency first. I want to stop thinking of these choices as wrong and find a positive way to accept them. I say "it is what it is" a lot. While I'm NOT willing to gain back all of the weight I've lost, I'm not going to beat myself up while I'm here - - - anymore.

Second, I want to share my experience with you about this type of behavior. I have done low carb for a while and at an office party this spring, I ate a couple of cookies for the first time in forever. When I came home from work, I ate everything in sight. I started with a piece of buttered bread and when I lost track of everything I had shoveled into my mouth (because I was "hungry"), I stopped and reevaluated what I was doing. (Hard to do in mid-binge BTW). I wasn't hungry, it was the carbs AND it was the wheat. I read Wheat Belly and found that my binges were caused (mostly) by the wheat. If I avoid it - even when I have carbs - I don't get into near as much trouble. I haven't had wheat (or gluten) since February and I haven't binged since then either. Actually, that's not true. I had a tiny piece of crust from a full carb cheesecake and that evening had some Ramen noodles (in a pot luck Oriental Salad). I didn't binge, but the next morning my stomach was in severe distress. Once I got it out of my system, everything was fine again. I know TMI, but now I am considering it an allergy to wheat and I have no trouble passing it by. I don't need to relive that morning.

Anyway, sorry for my rambling. You're not hopeless - you're human. Find a release valve when you're stressed - walking has become mine. Lighten up on yourself! You're beautiful and while you say that your picture is from a lighter time, you need to give yourself credit for STILL being beautiful - even with a few more pounds.

Have a peaceful day!
-Pookie
pookie_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Michelle you have to forgive yourself quickly, you were in a difficult situation and ate all the easy foods available. Ending the day on beer and wine is exactly what I do if I have a day I consider seriously unhealthy, as if that help!

We all have to face our demons, be they carbs of whatever.

You are doing a great job getting back to that skinny you.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hopefulsweigh
Stats: 155/149/139
Start Date: JUDDD restart - January 2014
Hi Buttercup

Thanks for posting this.
I too experience binge like episodes, and feel like crap, after sugar. Sometimes these binges can last for days, sometimes even weeks.
The good thing is that you recognize this!! WTG! This is the start of the change.
Try and find some "snacks" that feel good. My latest "thing" is coconut crack! It's salty, sweet and good for me!
Hopefulsweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie_13 View Post
I read Wheat Belly and found that my binges were caused (mostly) by the wheat. If I avoid it - even when I have carbs - I don't get into near as much trouble. I haven't had wheat (or gluten) since February and I haven't binged since then either. Actually, that's not true. I had a tiny piece of crust from a full carb cheesecake and that evening had some Ramen noodles (in a pot luck Oriental Salad). I didn't binge, but the next morning my stomach was in severe distress. Once I got it out of my system, everything was fine again. I know TMI, but now I am considering it an allergy to wheat and I have no trouble passing it by. I don't need to relive that morning.

Anyway, sorry for my rambling. You're not hopeless - you're human. Find a release valve when you're stressed - walking has become mine. Lighten up on yourself! You're beautiful and while you say that your picture is from a lighter time, you need to give yourself credit for STILL being beautiful - even with a few more pounds.

Have a peaceful day!
-Pookie
Thank you Pookie for mentioning this!

Michele, I am right there with you.

I wanted so bad to be like all of the JUDDD budds who said carbs would be no issue on UD, well for me it is. I can't explain the feeling that I was having, but it was a sick feeling after an UD and I was keeping my carbs down to about 100 gr per day. So, I began afresh without any carbs except for fruit, some carby vegetables, oats and a few beans. It is like a whole new plan. I don't get sick now and most UD my carb level is right around 50 g. I wish you the best. I know you can do this, because you have succeeded with JUDDD once before. We are here to help you do this friend!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 07-09-2012 at 09:21 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
Great responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup204 View Post
I think I'm just too stressed from work. I'm hoping that gets better soon. There's just no telling though. I should probably walk more as its gentle, doesn't require special clothes and it doesn't give me shin splints like jogging does right now.
Something that's taken me a long time to figure out about my own body is that if I'm under considerable stress - no matter if I'm being careful with my eating choices or not - I will NOT lose very well, if at all. I may gain, I may stall, but I will seldom lose. For me, it doesn't have to be a prolonged period of stress, it can be something relatively short-lived.

I really like your idea of walking. You don't have to have special equipment or clothing, it doesn't cost anything, and you can do it any time and pretty much any where. It is a good stress reliever, even when it's not done at a fast clip. Walking can clear your head and get rid of some of the "fight or flight" hormones that appear under stressful conditions and cause a lot of people (me, for one) to hang on to (or put on) pounds.

Try it! You don't have to commit to a set amount of time or distance, just get up and take a walk. If nothing else, I bet it will help with the stress at work.

Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
as always Sheridan.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NancyLC
I'm doing higher carb up days, but I don't go nuts and I stick to paleo carbs (fruit, starchy veg), no grains.

I had to cut out nuts though, I wasn't losing at all. That seemed to help a lot.
NancyLC is offline   Reply With Quote