Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 150.2/148/120
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Aug 26 2013
No exercise = weight loss?

Hi everyone,

Iíve been JUDDDing for quite a while now and even though I havenít seen any major losses, I was more than happy to see it as a maintenance WOE. Iím not very strict with my UDs (about 1600 calories) but am very much with my DDs, often going under by more than a 100 calories (380 being my limit). I work out (mostly Jillian Michaels, some Tae Bo) almost 5 days a week. Last week, however, I got my TOM and as always happens with me, had no desire to work out. I fully expected to see gains. Instead, I went an entire week without working out and Iím down 4 pounds Ė the most I have ever lost in a week on JUDDD. There could be some other factors behind this, one being that I have started counting calories on UDs too (which I hate doing =(). I know that this sounds like every dieterís dream come true Ė losing without working out Ė but the truth is, I LOVE working out. Working out does things to my body a diet cannot do and even though it took me 1 month to lose 2 pounds before, I saw an amazing loss in inches that I was VERY happy with.

Iím not sure what I should do now. The loss on the scale is highly motivating and Iím scared that once I start working out again, Iím going to gain everything back from last week / stop losing. Any ideas on what I should do??
Spoonful of Happiness is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
First, congrats on losing 4 pounds in a week!

Don't stop exercising. Yes, the drop on the scale is motivating. But exercise does so many wonderful things for your body.

Do you have access to a swimming pool?

I just watched the video that is posted on the "anyone still cold" thread by Ray Cronise. You should check that out.

With regular exercise you know your muscles and tissues are constantly cycling water and glycogen and that makes the scale go up.

Are you happy with clothing size? Body measurements?

You are the only one who sees the number on your scale. Others see you, not a number. I'll bet you look great.

Since you are going down in inches, and continuing with this healthy eating style, your body is going to find the number it wants.

Be happy that you love working out! That's awesome and not everyone can say it!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Yam-Yam! I am very happy with my clothing size/body measurements. I would love to go down a bit more but am fairly confident that working out and JUDDD will get me there. I don't, unfortunately, have access to a pool but I'm going to try upping my cardio. Do you think eating too much/too less on UDs has anything to do with the lack of weight loss during exercise? When I plug in my numbers in the calculator, I select little/no exercise...
Old 07-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
Start Date: March, 2009
Hello, Luv is a fairytale, nice to meet you.

Exercise causes our muscles to retain water as part of their work/rest cycle for recovery/healing. At the end of the cycle, when the muscle doesn't need to retain water for healing, the water is released. This is why our measurements are best taken at least 24 hours after exercise, and it's also why we should take days off.

That water weighs something. So when we're not holding it, we weigh less. I have a feeling that's all that's happening with you (that and probably some real loss - yay). You're not getting "benefit" from not working out - you're just not weighing some of that excess water.

Quote:
Working out does things to my body a diet cannot do
That's a great truth. You don't want to quit exercise!!!!

Let me tell you what I do, because I, too, love the results of exercise but don't want to be weighing excess water. I work out on UDs. This is something recommended to "me" by Dr. Johnson (in that I read it in the book, lol). I don't do it only to be well-fueled for exercise, though. I also like that it puts about 36 hours, maybe more, between my exercise and my weigh-in on the morning after a DD, and probably a lot of the resulting, protective water has been released from the muscles.

Stick with exercise! Especially if you are enjoying it. (Stick with calorie counting on UDs, too - it's worth it!)

Lost 13 pounds on JUDDD in 2009 and began happy maintenance. Slipped up in 2012, but JUDDD got me back to goal!
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
I workout 5-6 days/week at a club and do NOT feel that exercise has ever impaired or slowed my weight loss. I don't think that it contributes many burned calories, but I KNOW that it helps me mentally and provides great muscle toning.

I don't think that folks have to actively exercise to lose weight, but they shouldn't feel that workouts will hurt their diet programs in any way. JMHO..........
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

That makes a lot of sense, Whitlin, thank you!
I agree on the mental benefits and the muscle toning, which is why I didn't want to give it up for the sake of numbers on the scale. I think I'm going to try working out only on UDs and hopefully see losses in both inches and pounds. Thank you for the help!

Last edited by Spoonful of Happiness; 07-08-2012 at 11:26 AM..
Old 07-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv is a fairytale View Post
Thank you Yam-Yam! I am very happy with my clothing size/body measurements. I would love to go down a bit more but am fairly confident that working out and JUDDD will get me there. I don't, unfortunately, have access to a pool but I'm going to try upping my cardio. Do you think eating too much/too less on UDs has anything to do with the lack of weight loss during exercise? When I plug in my numbers in the calculator, I select little/no exercise...
Honestly, I do not. It sounds like you are doing JUDD perfectly for you and that your numbers are good.

Love the advice of working out on UDs and then weighing only on DDs for you. Great idea.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I enjoy exercise, but notice that I love it more on a DD. I feel a bit sluggish on UD and even after cutting carbs. I think that you are doing this perfectly and hope that you get to see the results you are wishing to receive. I don't worry about the scale when I am doing the program as written, because for me the size that I am is more than enough proof.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
I'm thrilled that you plan to keep working out! Even if it causes some water weight in your recovering muscles, it's so good for you in a million ways. As you know!
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote