Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
What would you eat on an UD if you felt inflamed?

I am up .6 this morning after a DD, but I am not too discouraged because of several factors:

1. I got a sunburn yesterday. It's not really bad, but we were out in the heat, helping DH with the yard work, then took off for the pool to cool down. It was too much sun! This morning I just knew based on my fingers feeling puffy.

2. I haven't been to the "bathroom" in 2 days. This is a chronic problem for me, which I usually remedy with magnesium pills. So I am definitely puffy from that too.

3. I have a strange rash on my face and neck. No idea what it could be from. We do have poison oak in our yard, but this doesn't seem like that. Not spreading, not red, just ichy, dry, bumpy skin all over my chin and down my neck.

General, all around inflamation of the temporary sort. So today is an UD. I want to eat clean, drink a TON and a half of water. I have already been adding lemon to my water. Any other ideas?

6/22/13 restart of NK
amlyjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
On the net, look up Dr. Nicholas Perricone's food recommendations. In general, you're probably going to find that if it's processed, he'd be against it, and he would recommend fish, dairy/eggs and vegetables. Salmon would be a skin-healthy choice, but I don't know if it (or any of these others) helps immediate problems.

As far as vegetables, I'd say water-rich ones, such as cucumbers, would be my number-one choice. In theory, carrots are thought to protect us against getting a sunburn in the first place, so maybe there would be some help there.

One thing I wouldn't do without is cucumber. The more I think about it, that would be number one for me. I hope you feel better.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I second the cucumber and agree wih the lemon water. Celery hearts can be cool and crisp. If you cut a bunch up and soak in cold water in the fridge I find this helps with bloat, too.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Greek yogurt with blueberries. I use Chobani fat free, plain greek yogurt. Also, make a huge pot of freshly brewed green tea and drink it all day long. You can squeeze lemon it it, too. I would go for the tea over the water.

For being stopped up, you could take one dandelion root capsule and or 1/2 teaspoon of gluccamanon powder. I made the mistake of adding a rounded teaspoon into a protein shake the other day (it was my first time having it). Let me just say very soon after that, my insides were totally clean.

Do you have any extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil?? Stir 1 to 3 teaspoons into a cup of hot chocolate or just eat it or cook some of your food in it or stir it into some oatmeal and eat it.

Rub some of the CO on your rash and let it really sink in. At first it feels a but greasy, but when it gets absorbed it really does have healing power inside and out. I would let it get absorbed for about 10 minutes before washing it off. HTH!

Oh, my 35 yr. old DD had an on going problem w/ constipation and her doctor told her to start taking 2 flaxseed oil capsules every single day. She does and no longer has any problem.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
TURMERIC, TURMERIC, TURMERIC!!!
It's one of the most anti-inflammatory substances on earth.
I prepare a paste (simmer 1/4 c turmeric powder + a little black pepper in about 1 cup water until it thickens) and take a teaspoon or so every day.
(ETA: This makes about a month's supply...you could of course just prepare a little bit.)

Milk of Magnesia is very soothing on the skin. Put it on both your sunburn and the mysterious rash. Internally, it could also help with your #2 problem.

Cool, cooked oatmeal is soothing, too. You can take a bath in it or just plaster it on yourself, like a facial mask.

When I feel puffy, I take potassium (cheapest source: NuSalt).
And I drink hibiscus tea; it's a mild diuretic. Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger is usually pretty easy to find, if you can't find straight hibiscus.

I hope you feel better SOON!!!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-08-2012 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: ETA
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Coconut oil is amazing for sunburn too. Since I started applying it to sunburn, life has gotten so much less painful. If you have any, slather it on. And keep an eye on that rash.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Thanks for the replies BUDDDs!

Yeah, the rash is weird. I don't have known allergies or intolerances to foods or products. And didn't do or use anything different. My skin has been known to be sensitive in that certain lotions can burn, but I didn't change anything. The only thing I can think of is that Friday afternoon we went to Hobby Lobby to get some stuff and my dd was shoving a smelly candle in my face to get me to smell it. Maybe it had something that I am allergic to. I will put some CO on it.

Okay, based on what you all suggested and what I have on hand, I will make a bunch of green tea to drink today. I will put CO on my rash and sunburn (it's not really bad, more just overall too much sun exposure) and make sure I eat some today too. I also have potassium on hand, so I will take some.

I take MoM regularly to help with all the things that it's so great for, including constipation, so I don't want to take more of that. The flax is a great idea. And a smoothie with greek yogurt and blueberries sounds lovely for a snack. Already munching on cucumber today. Wish I had a bunch of watermelon!

I need to go to the grocery/whole food store, so I will get some Turmeric. Wasn't that mentioned in the DE thread? Jenny, do you just spoon it out and swallow it?

It'd be cool to see a loss tomorrow even though this is an UD. Just nourishing on really good watery calories and getting some water gone might do it.
amlyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I do (eat it straight from the spoon), but the recipe on the DE thread says to put it in milk. Here's the video:

If you like curried foods, you could put some of the turmeric paste in a curry or on some rice.

The flax really works! (It works a bit TOO well for me, so I avoid it! )
I used to just get the oil; the capsules are a lot more expensive.

Glad to hear your sunburn's not too serious.
The MoM is really good on the skin, if the rash gets worse.
I found out about it when I had a chemical burn from hair dye, and it helped SO much!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Jenny is right about the tumeric!

Also, I really like Whitling & YamYam's ideas on what to eat. Do you think the rash could be a heat rash? I have had one from working out in the garden and overheating. It looks and feels just exactly like you are describing.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Great suggestions. I might add, which it sounds as if you are doing anyway, to avoid grains and sugar. And I would go easy on the dairy too, as it can be mucous producing even in people who aren't sensitive to it, (and therefore might be inflammatory).

We've had others here pop up with odd rashes/hives during periods of rapid weight loss and one possibility is that it is a reaction to toxins released from fat cells. If that's the case, then what you are doing, nourishing your body and consuming lots of watery, flushing foods, will help with that as well.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
watermelon is supposed to be good for that too if you like it
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Aloe juice inside and out. Also i second the Tumeric for internal inflammation. Also the herb Devils Claw. If you are itchy, put a drop or two of peppermint essential oil into your lotion. It will almost immediately stop the itching.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
cucumbers, canteloupe, low carb and low sodium for a day or two. Drink plenty. Get good sleep too.
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlyjo View Post
I am up .6 this morning after a DD, but I am not too discouraged because of several factors:

1. I got a sunburn yesterday. It's not really bad, but we were out in the heat, helping DH with the yard work, then took off for the pool to cool down. It was too much sun! This morning I just knew based on my fingers feeling puffy.

2. I haven't been to the "bathroom" in 2 days. This is a chronic problem for me, which I usually remedy with magnesium pills. So I am definitely puffy from that too.

3. I have a strange rash on my face and neck. No idea what it could be from. We do have poison oak in our yard, but this doesn't seem like that. Not spreading, not red, just ichy, dry, bumpy skin all over my chin and down my neck.

General, all around inflamation of the temporary sort. So today is an UD. I want to eat clean, drink a TON and a half of water. I have already been adding lemon to my water. Any other ideas?

Hi Amyjo, I haven't read the replies, but I can relate to your post. I too got a sunburn yesterday - not too bad, but it's a ring around the front of my neck I had absolutely no base tan, and did the best I could to stay in the shade under an umbrella though we were at an event that required one to be outside all afternoon in the sun and heat. I started applying a mix of water and ACV when I got home in the evening, and then today after applying the ACV, I also gently rubbed in a mix of evoo/vco. It's doing much better. Been doing this everytime I go to the bathroom.

As far as the BR issues, I can't say because I go like clockwork each a.m. other than maybe one or two times per month due to hormones messing with everything. I do know when I need it, the product "Natural Calm" is awesome (and tasty) or else I pop 1 or 2 capsules of an herbal supplement called Nature's Cleanse. Both of these are at the HFS.

So sorry about the rash - I can't say, but I hope it clears up for you asap!

Lemon water is a great start to dealing with the inflammation, and I'd say have some green tea as well. A meal I have that makes me feel better - in that I can actually FEEL myself FEELING BETTER is some sardines (or you could have wild alaskan salmon) and a salad of greens like kale and romaine (and whatever else you like) mixed with a couple tablespoons of an evoo/vinegar-based dressing.

Follow that with some fruit, and I've had a great, feel-good meal

So otherwise I'd say lots of water like you're doing. As far as supplements, I take curcumin (the active of turmeric) each day - 450 to 500 mg. 2 x day, but I'd take more if I felt I really needed it. And I take Alpha lipoic acid, milk thistle, Vit. D, Q10, digestive enzymes, probiotics.... maybe half a multi every day or every other day... I'll have to check and see if there's anything else.

Also I have some red wine, and as long as I don't overdo it, it does SEEM to have an anti-inflammatory effect, though maybe it's just cause it relaxes me, lol.

HTH! Take care. I think a number of us are in the same boat lately due to the heat causing dehydration/water retention, and due to sunburns, hormone issues, etc. Stay the course.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Also I have some red wine, and as long as I don't overdo it, it does SEEM to have an anti-inflammatory effect, though maybe it's just cause it relaxes me, lol.
I think I've read that drinking alcohol can aggravate sunburn, because it increases blood flow to the skin. Or is that drinking alcohol while out in the sun, not afterwards? Hmmm...
Old 07-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Alcohol is good for everything in my opinion. But don't use rubbing alcohol....lol
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kissa! Naughty, naughty!!!