Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   What is your favorite dessert that you still can eat because of Juddd? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/777431-what-your-favorite-dessert-you-still-can-eat-because-juddd.html)

Muffabuff 07-07-2012 05:16 PM

What is your favorite dessert that you still can eat because of Juddd?

I can't settle on just one. What is your favorite sweet treat or dessert that you thought you would have to give up forever to be thin? But you don't have to give up because of Juddd?:jumpjoy::yummy:

Carly 07-07-2012 06:45 PM

Well, it's not sweet, but it was something I thought I would have to live without before JUDDD... potato chips... I never met a bag I didn't like and... Mc Donald's French fries! The funny thing is since the end of April when I started doing carbs I had chips like twice and SMALL fries like 3 times!:dunno: I guess just knowing I can eat them demystifies them!

Tag425 07-07-2012 06:59 PM

:heart: For me, it's chocolate covered ice cream, love the mounds ice cream bars right now!! :heart:

NoWeigh 07-08-2012 06:59 AM

Cupcakes!:yummy:

leonak 07-08-2012 08:55 AM

Candy, pie, cookies, just about any and all sweets :jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

mainemom 07-08-2012 09:17 AM

Tiramisu. And cinnamon buns. Oh and almond croissants. I'd better stop now...

Carly 07-08-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mainemom (Post 15784095)

I'm not a sweets person, but tiramisu and cinnamon buns may be my 2 favorites, but they don't really like me...

Alania 07-08-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mainemom (Post 15784095)

I love all of these things.

Creme brulee would also be added to my list!

Sheridan 07-08-2012 11:14 AM

It was one of my delectable homemade chocolate cream pies (w/ a graham cracker crust) that finally pushed me into JUDDDville after slogging through strict low carb. I have no false modesty and am happy to declare I'm a really good cook.

But just knowing I can have something - the whole thing if I so desire (as long as it falls within my generous calorie allotment) - I seldom find myself wanting or craving - any.

Now and then I'll eat something very decadent and really enjoy it when I do. But the constant draw is gone. One of the often advertised benefits of strict low carb is that cravings supposedly vanish. That was never true for me even when I was in deep ketosis. But now that I regularly eat 100+ carbs on an UD I don't have those cravings.

I've always been the odd one! :) :hiya:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 15783115)
Well, it's not sweet, but it was something I thought I would have to live without before JUDDD... potato chips... I never met a bag I didn't like and... Mc Donald's French fries! The funny thing is since the end of April when I started doing carbs I had chips like twice and SMALL fries like 3 times!:dunno: I guess just knowing I can eat them demystifies them!

Exactly.

Last night we had hamburgers and french fries (along w/ a salad) for supper. In times past I could eat my weight in french fries, easy. Not any more! I counted out a regular portion and a half, allowing for another half portion as "seconds". I could only eat one portion and asked if my DH wanted the others. I was truly satisfied with just one portion, I wasn't in "diet mode" or anything. One portion was ENOUGH! :D And they were delish!

Yam-Yam 07-08-2012 12:30 PM

Wine, potato chips, anything chocolate and the biggest of the biggies.....CARROT CAKE with cream cheese frosting!

And, honestly? The last time I had carrot cake was Easter Sunday. I had two pieces and made sure my DD took the rest home with her. The following morning I was soooooo hungry and my cravings monster came back, roaring!:eek: I decided carrot cake is going to be a very rare treat.

mainemom 07-08-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 15784105)
I'm not a sweets person, but tiramisu and cinnamon buns may be my 2 favorites, but they don't really like me...

Oh they LOVE me. They love me so much they just can't leave my butt, hips and thighs. lol.

Buttercup204 07-08-2012 10:17 PM

I can't read this thread anymore you're making me crave lol! Sweets and potato chips are my downfall! :)

adillenal 07-09-2012 04:25 AM

Ice Cream. Is there any other possibility????? Bluebell or homemade are my favorites.

Joyjoy 07-09-2012 04:36 AM

Thanks, Muff.
Mine's a doing thing rather than an eating thing, though I like the eating, too.
I've been working on making the perfect pie. I'm there with the filling - tart lemon with mile-high meringue - but I haven't quite mastered the crust. (This last bit might be understatement. My crust ends up looking like a shortbread cookie at the bottom of the pie plate. Delicious, but not beautiful.)
One of the great thrills of JUDDD is that I can pursue this until I am the Julia Child of lemon meringue pies. Get a life, you might say to yourself, and you might have a point. But a girl's gotta have a dream.

JHoberer 07-09-2012 09:56 AM

I have to say sweet potato fries with maple syrup are a new thing in our house. YUM! Taste like french toast!

Potato chips, cake, ice cream for me!

piratejenny 07-09-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joyjoy (Post 15785861)
One of the great thrills of JUDDD is that I can pursue this until I am the Julia Child of lemon meringue pies. Get a life, you might say to yourself....

Ummm, NO!!! I would never say that!!!

I don't know where I got this...perhaps it has something to do with being a Southerner, or perhaps I read it in an old Joy of Cooking...but I know I once heard something about a cook only being as good as her pie crust!

So, making a perfect pie crust is a very worthy pursuit, IMO! :up:

My best results have come from using (very cold) real LARD and/or bacon fat, plus a little clarified butter (ghee) for flavor.
(Or 100% ghee, for vegetarian crusts.)
I cook my bacon on a George Foreman grill and the fat doesn't get as browned as when cooking in a skillet. Then I strain it through cheesecloth. The fat isn't as smoky- or bacony-tasting as one might expect. I think most of the salt gets strained out. It also makes the best biscuits in the world!!! :faint:

Butter can have about 15% water, and too much water can ruin a pie crust. I think that's why "shortening" is usually recommended; it has zero water. Ghee has had all the water simmered away.

(PS...I can't play this game! I'm diabetic. :cry:
Also, because I never really gave up desserts in the first place. :hyst:
I just have tiny, tiny, two-bite servings!!! :yummy:)

Joyjoy 07-09-2012 10:27 AM

Omg, PJ, those biscuits sound divine!!!
I'm a lard fan so far. Love the smell and the texture.
Re: water and toughness, Cooks Illustrated recommends vodka as a key ingredient! Adds moisture but evaporates so that the crust does not become tough! That's my next experiment.
In my Julia Child dream, my friends who are chefs taste my crust, solemnly, and say to each other, in hushed, even reverent voices, yesssss, she's got the gift. And I feign casual indifference. Before long, of course, I have my own show on the pie channel. :)

Kimberli33 07-09-2012 10:29 AM

Swedish Fish...lol..I havent made anything sweet in forever:dunno:but I'm sure if I let my imagination run I can come up with a few...
How about...
Barvarian Cream filled Donuts
Turtle Cheesecake and coffee
Homemade Peach Cobbler w/ icecream
Chocolate Lava Cake w/ carmel syrup and vanilla bean icecream:love:

piratejenny 07-09-2012 10:47 AM

Vodka!!! Oh, that's brilliant!!! :clap:
Plus you can keep it in the freezer & it doesn't freeze...so it would be much colder than the "ice water" called for in pie crust recipes! I have to say it again--that's BRILLIANT!!!

BTW, I wonder if chilling the flour & mixing bowl would help, too?
I usually keep my flour in the freezer, anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joyjoy (Post 15786799)
In my Julia Child dream, my friends who are chefs taste my crust, solemnly, and say to each other, in hushed, even reverent voices, yesssss, she's got the gift. And I feign casual indifference. Before long, of course, I have my own show on the pie channel. :)

THAT is a great dream! I love it!!! :D :D :D

Scotty 07-09-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Mine's a doing thing rather than an eating thing, though I like the eating, too.
I've been working on making the perfect pie. I'm there with the filling - tart lemon with mile-high meringue - but I haven't quite mastered the crust. (This last bit might be understatement. My crust ends up looking like a shortbread cookie at the bottom of the pie plate. Delicious, but not beautiful.)
One of the great thrills of JUDDD is that I can pursue this until I am the Julia Child of lemon meringue pies. Get a life, you might say to yourself, and you might have a point. But a girl's gotta have a dream.
Joyjoy just a thought-America's Test Kitchen uses lemon sandwich cookies (store bought) for their crust. They are obsessive about testing recipes (I love that-then I don't have to) and found this was the best choice. Don't know about the beautiful part, and of course it's not a "regular" pie crust but I'm sure it's good. You can probably find it if you google it...I've been meaning to use the vodka trick-Alton Brown and ATL likes that idea too

Joyjoy 07-09-2012 01:42 PM

Scotty, I will, I will! It's the extensive testing (and the science) that I love about Cooks Illustrated, too. :)

piratejenny 07-09-2012 02:14 PM

Oh, gosh, if we're talking about cookies for a pie crust, try Pepperidge Farm's Bordeaux cookies!!! :faint:
THE! BEST!!!

Or, for a head start on the lemon flavor, Anna's Thins (Swedish cookies).

ETA: :cry: The Anna's site isn't showing lemon flavor.
I'm sure I've had them...maybe they've been discontinued.
The site lists only Ginger, Orange, Almond, and Chocolate Mint. :cry:

Jbinme 07-09-2012 03:00 PM

I am a dessert lover!

Kristin-can I taste test your pies while I'm visiting at your cabin??:)

Joyjoy 07-09-2012 03:01 PM

Janette, yes, you certainly may. :)

leonak 07-09-2012 03:11 PM

Kristin!

A dear friend told me about how to make the best pie crust in the world :jumpjoy:

Take a white dish towel ( flour sack Mom called it ) and put some flour on it, then roll the crust out on the towel. Works ever so good and you use less flour this way too!

Good Luck with it!:shake:

At times I buy the frozen pie crust in the store too :lol: My favorite brand is the Walmart store brand - 2 in a package for about $2.:high5:

Leona

Whitlin' 07-09-2012 06:27 PM

The dessert that matters for me is going to have chocolate in or on it, and a couple mentioned here, including tiramisu and the Mounds (although sometimes I feel like a nut, Tag ;) ) are great. But I have to agree with adi - it must be ice cream that leads the pack. Bruster's (which is in the form of a freestanding walk-up ice cream shop here) has a flavor called Chocolate Raspberry Truffle. Yep, that may just be THE ONE. :laugh:

Joyjoy 07-09-2012 07:02 PM

Whitlin, sorry to leapfrog over your beautiful raspberry truffle ice cream, but I have to to say thanks to Leonak. Leonak, my Dad's wife uses the towel, too, and swears by it. I've been rolling mine on wax paper. I'll try the towel.
Enough about pie. Back to ice cream.:)

Avicenna 07-10-2012 05:27 AM

I enjoy the flavour of desserts, but I genuinely don't like to eat sugar except on special occasions. So, I really enjoy eating sugar-free desserts and am currently eating through the chocolatecoveredkatie blog that was posted on here (thanks!) that contains somewhat healthy desserts that can easily be converted to sugar-free desserts.

Kissa 07-10-2012 11:06 AM

Now look what you've done!

I am going into the kitchen to have a slice of the Coffee/Walnut cake left over from the funeral. And then going out to dinner!

dee 07-11-2012 05:31 PM

Re: using cookies As a pie crust base. Lemon sandwich cookies?? Can someone explain? Do you separate the cookies and scrape off the filling or what do you do?