Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberino
Stats: 235/141 50 yo
WOE: Atkins/now JUDDD
Start Date: 3 '09 Atkins-3 '12 JUDDD
Colonoscopy results - need some suggestions please

Cancer free, which is a blessing, but did have my doctor tell me that I have some signs of early diverticulitis and need to up my fiber intake.

I believe the last year on Atkins I probably ate 1100 salads a day. How can I need more fiber? I'm not a big meat eater and really could just do salads and veggies forever. Seems incredible to me that I need more fiber. But, them's the facts. So I called the doc and he recommended a fiber supplement.

Anyone currently use anything they could recommend?
kimberino is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
on the results of the test.. i dont use any fiber so no help,, but im sure help is on the way
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Congrats Kim! I know the feeling of waiting on the results.
Psyllium husks is excellent. I have the NOW brand and it is very inexpensive. Jenny/Sungoddess will probably have some great ideas.

Last edited by sunday; 07-06-2012 at 12:01 PM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Ummmm....
I thought LOW fiber foods were best for diverticulitis?
That's what the MayoClinic website says.

Ok, I don't have it, and I'm not a doctor, but fiber (insoluble, at least, like psyllium) can irritate the digestive system. It literally scrapes away cells in the lining of the intestines (think of running a loofah over your skin). It can also cause the intestines to expand and stretch, which may increase irritation.

(My neighbor's son had colon surgery last year, and she was fiercely watching his food to make sure he didn't eat whole wheat bread, broccoli, or a single bean, until his digestive system had a chance to heal.)

So, with diverticulitis, do you WANT your intestines to get stretched out?
I'm not being facetious; I sincerely don't know.
Or do you want to heal the inflammation and irritation?
Ask your doctor what his strategy is!!!

My instinct would be to consume things that are known to be healing to the gut: gelatin, l-glutamine, aloe. I'd also check anywhere people are discussing leaky gut syndrome and/or celiac disease.

Insoluble fiber, on the other hand, doesn't expand the stool greatly but keeps it soft. I imagine this would be helpful. Fibers that dissolve clearly in water without thickening it are what you would be looking for, like Benefiber, inulin, agave fiber, some types of oat fiber (not oat bran). Some fibers that get "slimy" (mucilaginous) like glucomannan, xanthan gum & guar gum may be okay, because they are not rough like psyllium & wheat bran.

Good thing you're catching it early!
New lows, 2014:
7/25 276.2
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Manday
Stats: 250/233/130 5'3"
Start Date: 4/19/2012
I would assume, since your doctor told you just to up your fiber intake, that there's not much to worry about with the diverticules (gaps or small holes in the intestine walls). My husband had a colonoscopy several years ago (he was 49 at the time) and was told he had some diverticules, too, but that that was to be expected at his age. What you want to avoid happening is having any small particles of food getting lodged in the 'gaps' or 'holes' which can cause infection and lead to full-blown diverticulitus (infected diverticules) - think nuts, corn, strawberry seeds, whole grains, etc. The fiber will grab all those little particles and push them through without letting them settle and cause problems.

This is what we were told at least. I have other family members who had full blown diverticulitus and could not eat anything but soft, mushy foods because any particles aggravated it. I would think, with the number of salads that you eat, you would probably be fine...maybe add some fiber drinks every now and then for good measure or if you eat something with small pieces in it.

Glad you came out cancer free!
Manday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NonnyK
Stats: 5" 1' Goal 130-- My Fitness Pal Username: NonnyK
WOE: JUDDDer
Start Date: 06/7/12
What a relief! So happy for you!
NonnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberino View Post
Cancer free, which is a blessing, but did have my doctor tell me that I have some signs of early diverticulitis and need to up my fiber intake.

I believe the last year on Atkins I probably ate 1100 salads a day. How can I need more fiber? I'm not a big meat eater and really could just do salads and veggies forever. Seems incredible to me that I need more fiber. But, them's the facts. So I called the doc and he recommended a fiber supplement.

Anyone currently use anything they could recommend?
Without knowing what all you put into your salads, I don't know for sure.. but if most of your salads are a large amount of lettuce, most lettuces have very, very little fiber at all.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Congrats on the good results. I'm scheduled for mine in Auguust. I take Fiber Wells. They used to be called Fiber Gummies. They are like gummies candy, really quite good if you like that sort of thing. They work better for me than anything I've ever tried. So easy to take. I take more than directed for better results.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Hi there,

Your doctor knows what is best for you, of course. I am just giving some anecdotal input based on my nephew's situation. His GI doc is of the theory that a low-fiber diet causes diverticular disease. So maybe because you are showing early signs, it is more of a preventative measure to increase your fiber. Like Pat said, lettuce doesn't give you much fiber. For my nephew, the doctor said to increase the amount of fiber he takes to reduce symptoms and to prevent future complications. He takes psyllium 3x per day. He can't take Benefiber as it is not gluten free.

I also have an intestinal disease and was told to increase my fiber intake. I have done so and it has made a big positive difference. I go the psyllium route myself. I was told to eat beans/legumes like black beans and kidney beans and cereals like all-bran and fruit with the skins, like apples. Sweet potatoes are a good source at almost 5 grams of fiber. I don't know how low carb you are, as these foods aren't so low carb! Or maybe you calculate net carbs for yourself.

Another source is flax. There is almost no usable carbohydrate in flax seeds. It is very high in both soluble and insoluble fiber (about one third of the fiber is soluble). 1 T ground flax has 2.0 grams of carbohydrate, 1.9 of which is fiber.

Chia Seeds have a fiber and carb profile similar to flax seeds.

Unsweetened Coconut and Coconut Flour. Coconut is healing to the gut

1 medium avocado, has 3 grams usable carb, 12 grams fiber

Whatever supplement you take, be sure to get enough water! And take fiber at different times than any medications. Fiber supplements can affect the absorption of certain drugs.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by sungoddess; 07-06-2012 at 05:47 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberino
Stats: 235/141 50 yo
WOE: Atkins/now JUDDD
Start Date: 3 '09 Atkins-3 '12 JUDDD
I made a mistake Pirate Jenny - early signs of Diverticulosis, not itis. You are right in that diverticulitis treatment does consist of low-fiber food, but diverticulosis is thwarted by eating high fiber, according to doc.

Thank you all for the responses. Yes, indeed, it is a preventative measure, as opposed to something I should be worried about. I, too, was told that this particular "problem" is very common and I should be fine with upping my fiber.

Hm, salad lettuce in itself is not so great, I agree; however, I put everything but the kitchen sink in mine as far as veg goes. My favorite snack is celery. You get the picture. Perhaps it's the things I cut out, like oatmeal and fruit, while doing low carb that is the issue. although I'm not too fond of a lot of fruit, other than the occasional blueberry, strawberry, or banana. I am not choosing to do low carb right now, but the food choices I've been naturally making lend itself to moderate carb.

So to nip this in the bud and follow doc's advice, I'll get some psyllium husks - sounds tasty!

I appreciate everyone's feedback and kind words.

Kim

Last edited by kimberino; 07-06-2012 at 06:48 PM..
kimberino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Kim...so happy things went well. that everything will be in perfect working order very soon. That's no fun.

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annalissa
I take psyllium capsules for extra fiber. Good luck.
Annalissa is offline   Reply With Quote