Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Best protein sources for least amount of calories? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/777316-best-protein-sources-least-amount-calories.html)

cactusrose63 07-06-2012 10:19 AM

Best protein sources for least amount of calories?

Well I was thinking I need an arsenal of ideas of high protein choices for my DDs...

This past week I had two terrible DDs and when I looked more closely at my food choices for those days, I noticed they were lower in protein than usual. I have been expanding my choices for DD for variety, I really didn't think about carbs vs protein being an issue. And not even a crazy amount of carbs, extra fruit, tiny crackers to have with laughing cow cheese, those kinds of things. I guess my body needs higher protein intake for me to feel my best on DD.

Well girls, I need my JUDDD BUDDD's help once again, along with all of your experience and knowledge. Please give me your ideas of the highest protein foods for the lowest calories. Thanks in advance!

goose1 07-06-2012 10:28 AM

I've been eating hard boiled eggs, chicken breast and water packed tuna.

ASHLEY2HAWAII 07-06-2012 10:29 AM

Egg whites give the most bang for the buck at 17 cal ea.

KeirasMom 07-06-2012 10:43 AM

FF Greek Yogurt: I use Dannon Oikos. A whole cup is 120 calories and 22 grams of protein.

sterlinggirl 07-06-2012 10:45 AM

lets not forget NUTS~

cactusrose63 07-06-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlinggirl (Post 15779960)
lets not forget NUTS~

They are low cal enough for DD??

sunday 07-06-2012 10:54 AM

I eat shrimp, turkey, roast beef, tilapia, egg whites, & yogurt.

I love protein. :heart:

sterlinggirl 07-06-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cactusrose63 (Post 15779977)
They are low cal enough for DD??

oh my bad.. i missed that part needing LOW calorie:p:o

adillenal 07-06-2012 10:59 AM

I can't eat nuts on a DD. I am a HB egg fan, tilapia or shrimp for the calories.

sungoddess 07-06-2012 11:10 AM

Nothing new to offer from what the others said.

HB eggs and I love shrimp at 18 grams of protein in a 4 oz serving, while only costing you 80 calories. Also whey protein powder.

mttemple4 07-06-2012 11:13 AM

All of the above, plus ham! If you get ham with no honey etc it is 25 calories an ounce.

A slice or two has saved my bacon :laugh: on many a down day.

sunday 07-06-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mttemple4 (Post 15780035)
All of the above, plus ham! If you get ham with no honey etc it is 25 calories an ounce.

A slice or two has saved my bacon :laugh: on many a down day.

:lol:

Bacon is also another one! It is high fat, but it is only 40 calories per slice and let me tell you. A couple of slices on a tomato and I am happy! :cool:

metqa 07-06-2012 11:31 AM

I made a list then lost it somewhere, but I think I recall that Turkey had the most protein per 100g serving and Lean Ham was there next, both low calorie.

Sorry I can't give numbers but I looked it up on the USDA database for a bunch of different proteins for 100g servings tomake it all equal. Turkey had the most protein, Fish like tilapia had the least.

piratejenny 07-06-2012 11:44 AM

Here's where we've discussed it before:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...l#post15371976

I think my fave is shrimp...it seems "exotic" to me compared to egg whites/sandwich meat like turkey or ham...and goes well with spicy food, stir-fries, Mexican food, soup, etc...
which also have more "exotic" potential IMO than a low-cal sandwich or salad!

mttemple4 07-06-2012 11:50 AM

Yes, Sunday, I agree! Bacon gets such a bad reputation. It's one thing I'll always choose on a down day if I have to get brunch with my in-laws. You can be reasonably sure a bacon slice is 40 cal and no more than 70 and you know nothing has been added to it. LOL! The fat makes it super satisfying to me.

I've been doing ham, shrimp, chicken, and tilapia most down days.

cactusrose63 07-06-2012 11:56 AM

Thanks all, and Jenny, for the link...I will check it out!

Whitlin' 07-06-2012 12:49 PM

Just adding my vote to the water-packed tuna or salmon, instantly available when you decide you need it. Lately I've enjoyed this product. Chicken of the Sea - Pink Salmon To Go Cups, Two-Pack, 5.60 oz. "Dolphin safe." :) The nutrition info is in the link.

Salmon is good for the complexion.

My problem is that my cat adores this more than any other thing on earth (so it must be good stuff, right?). Lately I've been making sure to have it when he's napping in another room so that I can keep it for myself. If I'm only having half of one of the cups, I try to get the rest in the fridge fast, before he "catches" me.

piratejenny 07-06-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitlin' (Post 15780285)
My problem is that my cat adores this more than any other thing on earth (so it must be good stuff, right?). Lately I've been making sure to have it when he's napping in another room so that I can keep it for myself. If I'm only having half of one of the cups, I try to get the rest in the fridge fast, before he "catches" me.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I've been having to eat when my kitten is napping, too!
The other day he stole some of my steak and licked the butter off my bread while I was in the kitchen for a couple minutes!!!

NonnyK 07-06-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 15780055)
:lol:

Bacon is also another one! It is high fat, but it is only 40 calories per slice and let me tell you. A couple of slices on a tomato and I am happy! :cool:

Turkey Bacon too! Only 35 calories a slice! :)

piratejenny 07-06-2012 01:44 PM

I cook my bacon on a George Foreman grill and let it get super, super dry and crunchy. I don't think it could possibly have very many calories!!! :laugh:
If I try to cook it in a pan til it gets to that texture, there is a lot of smoke & mess.
But the grill...ohmagosh, SO easy!!!
I used to even put it between parchment paper for less mess, but it takes longer that way.

And I save all the delicious, UNBURNED bacon fat for refried beans, biscuits, pie crusts, etc! :D

Muffabuff 07-06-2012 02:57 PM

Close to bacon, I eat those pre cooked smoked pork chops at 83 calories each. I cook them some more and drown them in Waldon Farms pancake syrup. One for lunch, one for dinner.

KeirasMom 07-06-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muffabuff (Post 15780539)
Close to bacon, I eat those pre cooked smoked pork chops at 83 calories each. I cook them some more and drown them in Waldon Farms pancake syrup. One for lunch, one for dinner.

What brand are these and where do you get them? Sounds right up my alley.

gotsomeold 07-06-2012 03:37 PM

One average sized raw walnut, pecan, or almond is about 30 calories. To be avoided if nuts are triggers. But, if nuts are not triggers two (about 60 cal) can be remarkably satisfying.

I eat a lot of fish.

cactusrose63 07-06-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 15780625)
One average sized raw walnut, pecan, or almond is about 30 calories. To be avoided if nuts are triggers. But, if nuts are not triggers two (about 60 cal) can be remarkably satisfying.

I eat a lot of fish.

I have some almonds from Trader Joe's that looks to be about 20 nuts for 85 cals. I don't think those would be a trigger, may have to see how they would hold me over. Thanks.

Carly 07-06-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15779955)
FF Greek Yogurt: I use Dannon Oikos. A whole cup is 120 calories and 22 grams of protein.

I buy the single serve cups= 80 calories. I put Mio drops in and I eat 1/2 in the morning if I'm not fasting and the other 1/2 before bed.

Carly 07-06-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratejenny (Post 15780354)
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I've been having to eat when my kitten is napping, too!
The other day he stole some of my steak and licked the butter off my bread while I was in the kitchen for a couple minutes!!!

We have 6 cats and tonight I was forced to part with one piece of my 97% FF Hebrew National Hotdog so I could eat in peace!:stars:

Joyjoy 07-08-2012 02:47 PM

Nobody said peanut butter! I'm in love with it. Sure, you don't get much for 100 cals, but it's creamy, crunchy, long lasting if you eat it with your baby fingertip, and sustaining. (I don't love the sugary stuff, which might lead to eating every sweet thing in the house. I LOVE the plain stuff.)

Carly 07-08-2012 03:26 PM

I'm in love with PB2! I have 2 tbsps before bed most nights!

piratejenny 07-08-2012 04:05 PM

Carly, is it a powder? Do you mix it with anything?

Yam-Yam 07-08-2012 04:22 PM

The prepackaged Foster Farms frozen chicken breasts are 120 calories and a whopping 30 grams of protein for 4 ounces. I weighed the cooked chicken breast and it was 6 ounces. Huge. I ate it all and added in 60 more calories.

I also by the individually wrapped frozen tilapia filets. They are 100 calories each and 23 grams of protein. Sometimes I put a frozen one in a Zip-n-Steam bag, throw it in the microwave for 2 minutes then refrigerate it for later, chop it up and put it on a huge salad. It's yummy!