Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
What Dr Johnson says about UD calories

I just want to post this because this question gets asked over & over:
"Do I have to eat all my Up Day calories?"

From his website:

Quote:
The goal of Up Days is to feel satiated without intentionally overeating. If you're not as hungry on Up Days, it's okay to eat less than your regular daily allowance.
Quote:
There are no restrictions placed on Up Days, as long as you do not intentionally overeat.
From his book (p. 244):
Quote:
Q. How much should I eat on the up day?
A. To answer that question, it is important to understand the psychology of the Alternate-Day Diet, the point of which is to reduce stress and diet fatigue and increase freedom from the anxiety of restricting every day so that you are more likely to adhere to the diet over time.
Oddly, on the basis of the Calorie Calculator (page 80), some dieters seem to believe that there is a specific number of calories they are required to eat on the up days. But the sole purpose of using the Calorie Calculator is to estimate the number of calories to eat on your down days. You absolutely do not have to consume all the calories estimated for your up days. There is no specific calorie requirement for the up day.
(emphasis mine)
The most important principle of the Alternate-Day Diet is to keep your down-day calories as low as practical while maintaining the up-day, down-day pattern over the long term.
This is not to say that you can't or shouldn't eat all your UD calories.
That DOES work best for some people.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-05-2012 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: spelling
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cynthm
Stats: 5'7". 165/151.8/135
WOE: JUDDD/HCG
Start Date: 06/24/2012 JUDDD; 7/30/12 HCG
Thank you for posting this! What you have quoted is so right on: I think all of us get so focused on the calories (UD and DD) that sometimes we forget WHY this is a great WOE.
"it is important to understand the psychology of the Alternate-Day Diet, the point of which is to reduce stress and diet fatigue and increase freedom from the anxiety of restricting every day so that you are more likely to adhere to the diet over time."
THAT is what I have to remember!!
cynthm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14

This is the least stressful WOE I've ever followed. I think the less stress the better the success!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heather
Stats: 175.8/155.8/149.8
WOE: JUDDD/Potato Hack
Start Date: Restart 6/27/14 - Loss: 20.0 lbs
Jenny - Thank you so much for starting this thread. I read this in the book when I finally got it and was surprised to say the least. Dr. Johnson is the expert of the Alternate-Day Diet. I recommend his book highly. So much good information in it - especially in the FAQ. It contradicts some of what I've read on the threads. I'm sure that's because some haven't read the book.

Thanks again! You're one of the best posters here - love your posts!!!
Heather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
Thanks for posting this.
Jbinme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
Jenny - Thank you so much for starting this thread. I read this in the book when I finally got it and was surprised to say the least. Dr. Johnson is the expert of the Alternate-Day Diet. I recommend his book highly. So much good information in it - especially in the FAQ. It contradicts some of what I've read on the threads. I'm sure that's because some haven't read the book.

Heather: I really enjoyed the book too and really liked his chapter about the rescue gene. Never knew about that before!!

I don't think people on the boards are contracting the doc. He clarifies what he is saying many times. On one page I remember reading (maybe in the FAQ section?) that people who are dieting tend to think if something is good, do it more (like restricting calories every day instead of every other day). But, he cautions strongly against this and explains why it is important to become nourished and fortified on UDs.

Many experienced JUDDers have found that the UD calories are a really good guideline. If those are consumed, the DD will be easier and effective. It just occurred to me that the DD won't be effective if I can't stick to it because I didn't eat enough the day before or because I feel deprived. HA!

Anyway, obviously it's not set in stone either way. But Dr. J assumes everyone is going to "eat to satisfaction" and choose healthy foods on UDs.

I agree with you about PJ being a great and informative poster! We love P.J.!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 07-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
I don't think people on the boards are contracting the doc. He clarifies what he is saying many times.
Well actually the contradiction was on a different subject. I agree, he clarifies what he says, so I just assume the posters weren't aware of what he wrote. We all make mistakes. Not a big deal.

Heather
Old 07-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Heather: Want to add I love your posts too!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

tanku
Old 07-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Yep! Jenny = Schmarty McSchmartipants! Thanks girl!! MUAH!!!

Heather, love your posts as well!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Yep! Jenny = Schmarty McSchmartipants! Thanks girl!! MUAH!!!

Heather, love your posts as well!
tanks2u2
You're funny - "Schmarty McSchmartipants Jenny" - it. She sure does have lots of extra brain cells, huh? Always showing 'em off too.

Oh - your avi!!! That was a real ad - wasn't it? Not sure now It's just too amazing to be true.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, youse guys!
Y'all are too sweet...thanks
Old 07-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Yeah, thanks PJ!!! Great info there.
amlyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

That Lard ad was for real?? OMGosh! We've come a long way, Baby!
Old 07-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

darn it!!! snopes says the lard ad is a spoof from a British h̶u̶m̶o̶r̶ humour magazine called "Viz".
Old 07-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #16
dee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dee
Stats: (HW196)188/181.4/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart Nov 26.13 (formerly HHCG 2 rounds)
@jenny: thanks for this! I was feeling guilty that I havent been counting on my UDs. I want to go as long as i can without doing that. It makes it seem free and simple. I need that in a a life long plan. I know there are some out there that don't count on UDs. I really hope to be one of them!
dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mitsa
Stats: start 118/ goal 100
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 05/26/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post

Exactly !!! He is the expert, he wrote the book, im sure he knows how it works. . Alot of the newbies im sure get confused when they get told to "eat all ud calories". I have decided to follow what the expert says in his book, if he felt we HAD TO eat all ud cals, im sure he wouldve stressed how important it was to do so like he does for dd cals.

Last edited by Mitsa; 07-06-2012 at 12:28 AM..
Mitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:01 AM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Thanks for this post. It was really very helpful.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:20 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
For me, and this may only be for me, eating about 200 below RMR felt really fine. But my weight loss stalled until I started eating above RMR.

I think JUDDD is a great WOL where we can experiment and really get to know what each of us needs to be healthy and lose/maintain.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
For me, and this may only be for me, eating about 200 below RMR felt really fine. But my weight loss stalled until I started eating above RMR.

I think JUDDD is a great WOL where we can experiment and really get to know what each of us needs to be healthy and lose/maintain.
I have been guilty of not eating up to my calories. I have also been guilty of eating too much on a DD. As Linda says, "Life Happens".

I really like to be reminded of the nuggets in the book, such as this. I also believe that we find a lot of good info in the medical journals and scientific research on IF that for whatever reason Dr. J didn't elaborate on. It would be great if another researcher of ADF would write more on the subject, so that we could get these answers in another light. I do like to read the blogs of some of the other pro IF'ers, but I crave and delight in more "research" data on the health benefits of fasting. I know for me, it is about weight loss for now, but really the lifelong commitment is due to the lasting health benefits that will be with us in our elder years.

Thanks Jenny! Also, Heather, please feel free to comment when someone is posting something that is contrary to his book, because that is how we learn. At least, I appreciate it myself!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I meant to comment on Nancy's post. I have seen this happen to many others as well as you. I can't say for certain if this is my reason for stalling or because of other factors. I just lose very slowly and it is... just how I roll.

Last edited by sunday; 07-06-2012 at 08:48 AM..
Old 07-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Well PJ i also thank you for giving us food for thought. I belive for my body.. and perhaps for many of us who struggle to eat up to a number that was VERY HIGH .. was hard for our own bodys.. My stress level dropped and so did my weight once i ignored what my up day number was and just ate when i was hungry.. This seamed to be far less strerssfull on my body then it was to pack it in.. I love that you put a quote from the book for us who have never read it .. I have done this WOE just based off of all of you girls ideas and i put my faith in you that you all would lead me down the right path.. and so far.. its been amazing and it works~ Thanks to everyone whooo helped me succeed
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 07-06-2012 at 08:30 AM..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Even though it's "what Dr Johnson says", it may not be what's most effective for every single person.
That's the value of a forum like this; we can talk about what worked for us.
He may be the expert, but we have a lot of collective expertise, too!
Including expertise about "tweaks" that he might not cover in his book.

Some people have definitely had to eat all their UD calories,
some people have subtracted 200-300 from their UD and added them to their DD,
some have had to subtract from their UD and use the lowest percentage DD cals.
--One person discovered she had to eat before noon on UDs; no change in calories, but skipping breakfast on UDs caused her to stall.
--Another in maintenance found that when she didn't count UD calories, she started gaining a little weight and a lot of inches; she got back to counting and found she was under by about 200 calories!
Then when she started eating them, she lost weight and toned up again.
--Other people recommend trying to keep your UD calories as high as you can (if you've found a level at which you lose weight, eating less won't necessarily make you lose weight faster)
because if you eat lower calories during weight loss, your maintenance calories might be low, too...and you'll be restricted the rest of your life.

From casual observation, it seems that people with maybe around 50-30lbs (or less) to lose can eat closer to the calculated UD calories, while people with more to lose (and/or higher body fat percentages) are more likely to do well eating under the UD calories. Finding a calculator or formula that takes into account body fat & lean body mass may be helpful.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-06-2012 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: punctuation
Old 07-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #24
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
If I don't eat up to my UD calories, I stall as well. I do agree that Dr. Johnson wrote the book and is the leading authority -- to a point. I also believe from everything I've read here, that the book is a good "starting point" but maybe shouldn't be taken as gospel since Dr. J doesn't know all that much about nutrition. I will qualify this by saying I have NOT read the book yet. This means I'm no expert either. But, I've seen lots of posts here about his views on different fats and how they cannot be reconciled with what we know about good fats/bad fats, etc.

There are several JUDDDers here who have said point blank that if they had read the book before trying JUDDD, they never would have tried it. I think, for me anyway, that's why I've been resistant to read the book. I love this WOE and don't want my impression of it sullied. I fear that would happen if I read the book and disagree with very much in it.

One of the most amazing parts about this WOE is that it can be customized based on OUR OWN experiences. It teaches us so much about ourselves. Some people cannot eat up to their UD calories and lose. Some have to. Some still have to limit sugars or carbs in general. Others don't have to limit anything. It just proves to me that we're all different, and we can learn what works best for our own bodies. There are an infinite amount of ways to do JUDDD, and yet the premise is the simplest of all plans I've encountered. Just keep your rotations, respect whatever calories are working for you, and lose weight and get healthy.

Even though I don't think he's infallible, I will forever be indebted to Dr. Johnson. I JUDDD.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for all the comments, and I'm glad this has been helpful!!!

Everybody's got to figure out what works for them; the calculator is a starting point, but almost everyone has had to tweak to find their "sweet spot" for weight loss and energy!
Or they have had to add certain supplements and foods (like magnesium, or lemon water or coconut oil), or have discovered they had food allergies that were keeping their inflammation levels high & hindering weight loss, or that they do better on a plan like low carb, Paleo, or Weight Watchers in conjunction with JUDDD.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
In the five years since Dr J wrote the book, medicine and science seem to be gradually becoming aware of IF and calorie restriction - alternate day eating and otherwise. Studies are being funded and performed. Knowledge is growing.

I wish Dr J (or someone) would write the sequel.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
In the five years since Dr J wrote the book, medicine and science seem to be gradually becoming aware of IF and calorie restriction - alternate day eating and otherwise. Studies are being funded and performed. Knowledge is growing.

I wish Dr J (or someone) would write the sequel.
Me too! Although, I would like someone who is an endo or has extensive knowledge of leptin as well, to write the sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
If I don't eat up to my UD calories, I stall as well. I do agree that Dr. Johnson wrote the book and is the leading authority -- to a point. I also believe from everything I've read here, that the book is a good "starting point" but maybe shouldn't be taken as gospel since Dr. J doesn't know all that much about nutrition. I will qualify this by saying I have NOT read the book yet. This means I'm no expert either. But, I've seen lots of posts here about his views on different fats and how they cannot be reconciled with what we know about good fats/bad fats, etc.

There are several JUDDDers here who have said point blank that if they had read the book before trying JUDDD, they never would have tried it. I think, for me anyway, that's why I've been resistant to read the book. I love this WOE and don't want my impression of it sullied. I fear that would happen if I read the book and disagree with very much in it.

One of the most amazing parts about this WOE is that it can be customized based on OUR OWN experiences. It teaches us so much about ourselves. Some people cannot eat up to their UD calories and lose. Some have to. Some still have to limit sugars or carbs in general. Others don't have to limit anything. It just proves to me that we're all different, and we can learn what works best for our own bodies. There are an infinite amount of ways to do JUDDD, and yet the premise is the simplest of all plans I've encountered. Just keep your rotations, respect whatever calories are working for you, and lose weight and get healthy.

Even though I don't think he's infallible, I will forever be indebted to Dr. Johnson. I JUDDD.
Exactly my thoughts! I was one that said I wasn't a big fan of his, but I am forever indebted to this plan and it as well! I have a feeling that I would have never stumbled on to what my body likes had I not given this a whirl and I know now when I hit a stall to be patient, because it will eventually melt away.

Last edited by sunday; 07-06-2012 at 09:20 AM..
Old 07-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Well actually, for me personally, reading Dr. J.'s book was quite a relief. I felt more relaxed and free after reading it. (Got it 3 wks into JUDDD). I found him to be more lenient than some posts I'd read. This is because for example he'd say, "You absolutely do not have to....xyz. Whereas I'd read and still see threads that say, "You do need to..xyz."

I understand all the "IMHO", YMMV", "this is what I do", "xyx works for me", "xyz doesn't." Those are wonderful and helpful. But some of the "you must xyz's if you want to do JUDDD correctly" weren't in the book. That's all I'm saying. He was more "relax...do whatever you want" kind of guy. (I always take what I need from books and leave the rest anyway.)

I'm going to just hang out in the welcoming newbie threads I think. I'm more relaxed over there. I always fear being misunderstood and then having to explain myself on the discussion threads. newbie! is pretty safe, huh? Just trying to be relaxed now.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Heather!!!

I read some of the sample pages of his book on Amazon, and rolled my eyes at a few things, like his stance on saturated fat
...but overall his tone is very encouraging, as you say, Heather.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Heather... I hope you do stay here as well, every ones input is needed.. and i agree with some of the posts that have gotten so.."you must" concept.. and it keeps me from wanting to post as much also.. I love to share how its working for "me" and i pray that if i can help just one person to think like me or try it the way it worked for me.. then my fear of rejection for posting it was well worth the effort.. So please. stay and share as you feel comfortable.. i know i love to hear what every one has to say.. and if i dont agree.. i just dont post a comment.. I do think that what you have to offer the newbies is also very valuable and they will be blessed to have you there as well .. with much love and respect,, a JUDDD BUDDD
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote