Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
First Up Day and Second Down Day Surprises!

Yesterday was pretty much the most awesome day on any diet ever. I counted everything because if I'm going to suffer this much on a diet, I'm going to follow it exactly. Plus, I figured I would blow by my up day number of calories pretty easily if I didn't watch out.

As it happened, however, I'm not sure if it was the foods I chose yesterday or what, but I experienced Phen-Fen levels of control and appetite suppression. Maybe that wouldn't have been the case if I just sat down with a pint of Ben & Jerry's. I can't say. But by 11pm last night I was so full that there was no way I could finish my calories eating that much watermelon, so I ended the night with three dark chocolate bites which pack a caloric wallop.

To give you an idea of what I ate on my Up Day, here it was:

Breakfast:
2 Whole Grain Pancakes
Sugar Free Syrup
2 Turkey Sausages
2 Eggs
Butter
Asparagus
Tea
(Greek Yogurt--I had planned to eat it because I thought I'd be starving, but I was too full to eat it, so it never got eaten.)

Lunch:
1 Spinach Soufflee
1 Sandwich made with the WW Rye & Laughing Cow (This was a strange choice but I enjoyed it on WW--so, to indulge myself, I just piled on extra turkey)

After this, I was totally satisfied and even a little full. I actually only started cooking dinner because my husband was hungry.

Dinner:
12oz T-Bone steak
/Large/ serving of homemade creamed spinach
Cup of Ranch Potato Steamables (I had originally planned to eat half the bag, but it became clear that my eyes were bigger than my stomach)
1/4 of a watermelon (Again, I had planned to eat the whole quarter, but could not.)
3 Dark Chocolate Bites

I ate all this very slowly b/c I wasn't that hungry. (A relatively alien concept for me.) I wasn't so full that I was in pain, but I was definitely so full that I could not have eaten anything else unless someone made me. Maybe it's b/c I ate so much watermelon that my stomach was stretched to its limit. I don't know. My eyes were perpetually bigger than my stomach all day long.

This morning, I woke up and I still felt full. Almost uncomfortably so. I'm not sure what that's about. I thought, ok, so I feasted yesterday. In fact, I'm not sure I ever actually eat that many calories of good food. If I was eating at McDonald's sure, I could blow that easy. But I almost never eat fast food junk, so it made me appreciate just how good my usual eating habits actually are.

Anyway, I thought I should not get on the scale until after tomorrow. But I was curious about what kind of weight gain swings I was going to experience on this considering there's a 12oz T-bone steak sitting in me. Imagine my astonishment to be down another pound.

Now, today is going to be the horror show. Today is another day of no more than 500 calories, but this time I'm going to be smarter about it and they are all going to come from protein and fat.

On my first fasting day, by this time, I was a cranky shaky mess. Today I'm absolutely fine. I don't expect this to last much longer. I assume that at some point soon today I'm going to become the ravenous beast and that tonight will be an exercise in martyrdom, but at the moment, I'm good!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: circusgirl
Stats: 219/185/140
WOE: primal/paleo-currently HCG
Start Date: August 1999 primal, HCG in 2010
Love this post!

I'm with you-my DD's are not all that fun for me, but they're doable. I LOVE that I never have to be hungry for more than a day. LOVE IT.

I'm so happy to read this, you don't know. And I think there are plenty of us that strive for low carb-y DD's just for the fullness aspect. I always eat lots of lean protein on my DD's-it's the only thing that gets me through!

You're doing AWESOME and I can't wait to read more positive updates!!!
circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
Very happy for you, Stephanie. Sounds like you're learning how to handle both up and down days. In one way, it is simplicity itself. But there are some personal twists and turns for all of us.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
awsome post! I was off a few days and just read your other post about wanting to be "normal" So to find this post today was very exciting!!~ WTG soon youll be rocking this WOE~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Sounds good! It may take a couple of dd's, but you will find the food combos that work for you. And by making good, nourishing choices on your UD like you did, you ensure that you are well-fueled going into that dd and it makes it MUCH easier.

Don't necessarily assume today will be awful just because the first one was. You might be pleasantly surprised.

You are on your way!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Wonderful update!! And down another pound after a satisfying UD? Is that cool, or what???

Check out the DD recipes thread, DD staples thread and the "What are you eating?" thread. Also the thread about the cabbage, laughing cow cheese, chicken recipes.

I now buy huge bags of pre-shredded cabbage and have them on hand. Last time I was starving for dinner on a DD, I put some EVOO in a skillet and dumped in a bunch of shredded cabbage. I stirred it until cooked and wilted, seasoned it with onions and favorite herbs. Then I chopped up some cooked tilapia and stirred that in.

Decided just for some punch and crunch I would put some raw cabbage on the plate first and drizzled organic ACV over it. I sprinkled some shredded cheese over the mixture in the pan and let it melt then put that all on the plate on top of the shredded raw cabbage.

OMGosh! It was soooooooooo good and I could only eat half of it before I was so full I almost burst!

The tilapia was 100 calories, 2 tsp of EVOO was about 80 and the cabbage was hardly worth counting! Can't remember, but the cheese was very low because it was finely shredded and mostly low skim mozzerella. That was my food for the day and I was a very happy camper.

If you need volume, you can figure out how to get a lot of volume for very few calories. You just have to be creative and go with what you like and what keeps you full for a long time after you eat it!

WTG! and KUTGW!!!!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Oh my!!! I can't get that T-bone & creamed spinach off my mind!

Congrats on such a successful UD! May the rest of your journey be this delightful!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heather
Stats: 175.8/152.6/145-150
WOE: JUDDD/Potato Hack
Start Date: Restart 6/27/14 - Loss: 23.2 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I wanna join the party. to all the above. I'm going to quit talking and just all you guys' posts.
You all said such great things to our new little Stephanie. She made us all so happy with her success, huh?

YAM-YAM - Oh, I can hardly wait for my DD! I'm making that cabbage thingie. And I WILL HAVE NO TROUBLE EATING IT ALL. I mean it too.

Last edited by Heather; 07-05-2012 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
WTG, Stephanie!!!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #11

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Stephanie, I'm so glad reading that you are?were? having a good down day. I hope it continues all the way up until you go to bed. Those are the good ones.

And that you were down a pound after an up day! Right? It's kinda like getting away with something! It's like, I ate like that? And lost?

Awesome!
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Update

I was fine until 6pm when I'd fasted entirely until dinner. Once I started eating, I didn't want to stop. I managed it for a while. I've held my calories down to 500 but I'm really glad it's time for bed, let me tell you.

This day wasn't as horrible as the first one, but the evening has been rough :P

So, half as horrible.

If the next DD is 1/4 as horrible, that could be doable.

I managed to work most of the day, but was unable to accomplish anything at all this evening. I was spending too much time tending to my hunger, trying to keep calm, trying to sip tea, trying to distract myself from pain. If this plan turns me into an invalid every other day, that won't work. I've got stuff to do :P But I'm toughing it out 14 days before I make a decision.

Last edited by stephdray; 07-05-2012 at 10:15 PM..
Old 07-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #13

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Hang in there! It'll keep getting better.

Or perhaps more realistically, as a friend of mine used to always say, "it'll keep getting different!"

DDs do get better though. Glad you made it today. And tomorrow is an up day!
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Stephan, the good news is the DD get easier and easier. I really enjoy reading your posts. They are like little stories lol. I think you will stay with Juddd and be very successful.
Vanessa
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

FWIW I think people are different. I know for me fasting until 5pm would make me ravenous whereas eating at 1pm and 6pm makes the days totally doable. I usually have a large salad at 1pm and then soup with meat or kielbasa and cabbage or something that feels hearty and filling at night.

That's my two cents. If you find fasting that long is not tolerable it may be that you need to tinker with how you take in calories....and there's plenty of time to do that!

I just always make sure to get in at least 16 hours of fasting.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
When I began, I paid careful attention to hunger and learned there are a lot of different kinds of hunger. I suggest, especially while you are moving into JUDDD, if you have physical pain and brain fog, you consider eating something low cal and reasonable volume. Most DDs I do not eat anything solid until dinner. But some DDs I still wander around the house munching on Romaine leaves (5 cal each). And I keep baked chicken on hand. Sometimes half and ounce is enough to turn off the hunger monster.

Your body is adjusting to a major change. Be patient with it.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 07-06-2012 at 05:50 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Agree with maybe needing to play with when you take in the calories. I can fast until lunch. Beyond that, I get WAY too hungry, grouchy, headachy, shaky, etc. And when I do start eating, I want to just shovel in anything and everything.

If I have a big salad with LOTS of veggies, fat free dressing or salsa, and some lean protein for lunch, I'm a MUCH happier, productive person in the afternoon. Sometimes, I have some chicken broth with an ounce of shrimp in it in the afternoon (I cut the shrimp into small pieces, so it seems like I get shrimp with each spoonful of broth). Then I can have supper at normal time (lean protein and some stir fried veggies usually), and be full until dinner.

But the big thing is, even though it was hard, YOU DID IT! And you will find your groove and what works best for you as you go along.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Please don't forget you can go back to the calculator, use the pull down menu, and jot down calories that go all the way to 45% or even 50%, eat up to that amount on a DD, and still be activating the SIRT1 gene which is what you are trying to do in the beginning. You will still be having a successful DD.

Just think, the legs on your coffee table will be safe because you won't be tempted to eat them.

Sticking to 500 calories on your DD this early is an amazing accomplishment. Congratulations.

NOW EAT!!! Enjoy your UD!!!

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 07-06-2012 at 08:43 AM..
Old 07-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Steph: Thought you might like reading this: (Toggle to the 4th post down, it's short but good).

Wanna read an interesting article about JUDD type eating?

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 07-06-2012 at 09:32 AM..
Old 07-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Annnnnd, I'm down ANOTHER two pounds today.

I'm not sure it's real, so I'm not changing my stats yet, but I must say that's a nice reward for the suffering!

Thanks so much everyone for the wonderful comments. I read all of them. I wish there was some kind of LIKE button on this forum so I could show each person how much I appreciate their kind words without spamming all of you.

Last edited by stephdray; 07-06-2012 at 09:48 AM..
Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

That is AWESOME!!!! The scale does bounce. Don't be worried if it does, it always comes back down.

I'm up three pounds after yesterdays UD, but it's going to come back off quickly.

The best advice I think I can give is if it does bounce, don't freak out over numbers. I had to remind myself that this morning.

Enjoy your victory!

And it's a DD over here. If I saw spam? I'd be tempted.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #22

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Yes, the dreaded bounce does happen and will happen. Take a look at the bouncing ball chart thread and you'll see. But the trend is always downward.

Great results!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Steph: I'm so excited to hear this! The big reason I switched over from LC to JUDD was not being rewarded for suffering. So, truth there. It's nice to feel rewarded.

Have you thought about starting to chart your daily weight? It really helped me. I did it the old fashioned way with a tablet of graph paper and black ink pen. Then I taped all the pages together as I went along.

The bounces are there, yes. The trend, however, is down. Take the up bounces as a sign your body is getting required nourishment and fueling up for a great DD. Your metabolism is being healed. All is good.

Visualize the fat stores being burned away.

I always change my stats the minute I hit a new low because I know I will see it again in a few days. Seeing the number spurs me on and makes it my new reality.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Woohoo Stephanie! Change your stat!!!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Stephanie, it sounds like you are off to a fabulous start on Juddd. I'm looking forward to your posts about your continuing success. Just think you still have appetite suppression to look forward to.
Vanessa
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Congrats and KUTGW
When you have achance check out these threads for DD tips:

What is the most bang for 100 calories
What's on your DD grocery list
DD food finds
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote