Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Wanting to Be Normal & Radical Changes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/777165-wanting-normal-radical-changes.html)

stephdray 07-04-2012 08:38 PM

Wanting to Be Normal & Radical Changes

I have been on a diet since before the age of five.

I have no idea what it's like to be thin and healthy. None whatsoever. I only know what it's like to be on a diet, fail on that diet, be on a new diet, fail on a new diet, and then spend months refusing to get on the scale because I just want to live my life and not have to count every morsel that goes into my mouth...I want to be normal.

But I'm not normal and whenever I do get the courage to get back on the scale, I'm always horrified by what I see.

The most weight I ever lost was on fen-phen. I lost almost 60lbs. It was not effortless, but it was the first time in my life I ever felt full without being stuffed to the point of pain. Some sort of lightbulb went on over my head when that happened. So THIS is what normal people feel like when they've had enough to eat! This is why they can eat half the ice cream in the bowl instead of licking it clean. It was so shocking to me--like seeing color for the first time.

Unfortunately, when the drugs were taken off the market, I no longer had pharmaceutical help in figuring out when to stop eating. And most of the weight came back. I've been struggling for years not to ever reach that topmost number again.

Anyway, I've been on these low carb boards a long time. The most I ever lost eating low carb was 17lbs and that was over a period of six months. It was such slow weight loss that I couldn't maintain the discipline for it--especially considering how much I have to lose.

The truth is, I feel like I can commit to eating low carb most of the time, but I can't commit to never eating another piece of cake for my whole life and that is where things always fell apart for me.

I always ate too many calories on low carb--I was never one of those people who stopped being hungry. And while I never gained a pound if I was keeping my carb counts low, I didn't lose either. Unless I restricted calories. Which is pretty much the worst of both worlds, IMO.

Even though I believe low carb to be a superior way of eating, the amount of planning and cooking and strange ingredients required to feel like I was living life with the rest of my family was difficult. I learned to make my own low carb bread. I learned to cook low carb desserts. This was all extremely time consuming and incompatible with my schedule which might have been fine if I didn't think I'd vomit if I had to eat another salad while everyone around me ate an actual meal. Still, I did it.

Then I got two book contracts with two major publishers, I became a workaholic to meet my deadlines and packed on 20lbs. (That's three more than I lost doing low carb, for those keeping score.)

In my life, I've succeeded at everything else I've ever put my mind to--but fat defeats me. I'm getting to an age where I feel like time is running out for me to find the solution to this problem, so I began researching weight loss surgery. It's still an option on the table at this point, as far as I'm concerned. But the more I researched it, the more it looked like a very serious fast imposed by means of removing your parts.

And I thought, if I'm going to be hungry and in pain anyway, why pay a surgeon to do it for me? So I'm willing to adopt more radical approaches. First step was Weight Watchers/Calorie Restriction. I found this to be more doable than low carb when I can't cook for myself--the convenience of going into a Panera to buy a sandwich and knowing exactly how many calories are in it is not to be dismissed.

However, I am always hungry on WW. Always, always, hungry. Obsessed with food. When can I eat next, how can I maximize my calories, what can I eat, when when when?

And I suspect that it's constant deprivation that wears on the psyche--though obviously I have no proof of that. Anyway, when I discovered the JUDD board here on Low Carb Friends, I thought, if I'm going to be hungry and miserable anyway, why not be hungry and miserable only a few days out of the week?

So, yesterday I tried my first fasting Down Day (DD).

I must tell you, it was the longest day of my life. I got almost no work done because I could not concentrate. I was cranky, irritable, and ready to burn the house down if anyone said one wrong word to me. I even went to bed early just to make the hunger pains stop. And I was filled with dread about this morning. I confess, I didn't believe for one minute these tales about not being ready to rip through the house with a gaping maw.

But as it happened, I did not wake up with fiendish hunger. I was eager for breakfast, but I didn't over eat. I was surprisingly satisfied. In fact, I very nearly had the same experience that I had on the drug cocktail, in that I felt as if I could eat more...but I didn't have to. Lunch was the same. I will not go so far as to say that I had _difficulty_ getting in all my Up Day calories (I still have a few left over and there is a small square of very dark chocolate calling my name), but it felt like a feast.

I feel entirely satisfied. Gloriously full. NORMAL.

I'm frankly petrified about tomorrow's DD. I will be sticking to radical low carb tomorrow to control appetite and maybe that will help. If it doesn't get easier, I'm not sure how long I can stick with this.

However, before JUDDD I've never willingly eaten only 500 calories in one day before. Ever. The fact that I was able to do it, pain and all, gave me such a new confidence in my own willpower that I'm more impressed with myself than I've been in a long time.

Is this the lifestyle change that can keep me off the surgeon's table? I don't know. It will depend on the rate and consistency of weight loss as well as whether or not the fasting days are maintainable when I'm at a conference, away from home, etc. But I'm going to give it my all for the next two weeks and I hope some of you will be nearby to hold my hand.

sophiethecat 07-04-2012 08:46 PM

:cry: Crying from reading your post. You can do this, Steph! :hugs: Here's a hand to hold, :hugs: and I know there will be many, many more reaching for you on this forum. :heart:

ghostface 07-04-2012 08:46 PM

good luck. I don't think I've ever eaten close to 500 calories in my life, and on my 3rd down day I fasted, not on purpose but because it never really struck me to eat and it just got late and i said ah forget it. hopefully you'll find it get's easier also.

not that it's a silver bullet of any sort. anything worth achieving takes work. but i'm sure you know this.

Muffabuff 07-04-2012 09:08 PM

Stephan, I read your post out loud to my DH. Your post was lovely to read and I'm very sure hardly the first thing you have ever written lol. I think you may have found your magic place to be. As you go on, the appetite suppression will kick in and make your DD easier and easier. And of course we will all be here to catch you if you fall. Give it more than two weeks. Sometimes it takes a bit longer for our bodies to heal. You absolutely can lose the weight without a doctor cutting holes in your lovely self. Give Juddd a real chance, give yourself a real chance and:welcome:
Vanessa

piratejenny 07-04-2012 09:32 PM

WOW!!! I was reading your post and trying to prepare a sympathetic yet encouraging reply, and planning to give you lots of :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:,
but then I hit the 2nd half and I'm going to give you these instead: :high5: :yahoo: :up: !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and :welcome:

I am sure DDs will get easier for you.
They may not ever be entirely easy, but they will get easiER.
After a while, many of us rely on a few "staple" recipes or foods,
and from that comes a peace of mind in not having too much to plan or prepare------or as many dishes to wash! :hyst:
I personally still get hungry, and go over my DD calories,
but I no longer get light-headed, weak or cranky--
well, not any crankier than usual!!! :laugh:

My doctor has asked if I'd be interested in WLS.
My main concern is (even if there are no complications from the surgery) that I have heard many people suffer from malnutrition and ill-health afterwards.
JUDDD makes you healthier, beyond the improvements that weight loss itself causes.
Most other weight loss plans cannot claim this!!!

I think you're going to rock JUDDD!!! Whoo-hoo!!! :D

sunday 07-04-2012 09:33 PM

:hugs: Welcome to JUDDD!

Wishing you the success that many here have had! It is not an easy WOE, but one thing is for certain, it gets better as you go. I read MANY of the success stories for several months before I decided to jump in.

Also, I am sure you have read the benefits of intermittent fasting, but if not here are just a few.

Another Anti-cancer Effect Of The 'Longevity' Protein SIRT1 Identified

Thinner And Younger: Calorie Restriction Reduces Markers Of Aging

Intermittent fasting promotes brain health

sorenkkg 07-04-2012 10:25 PM

Hi Stephanie and :welcome:

I relate to a LOT of what you're saying-- my mom and Dr put me on a diet when I was maybe 9 or 10?

I never used drugs, but I did become bulemic for a time, and have worked very hard to get "right" with food... and have not truly felt that way for a while, until JUDDD.

I'll be honest with you-- some DDs are harder than others.

So if you look at that-- there will be some where you are quite hungry. And then, there are some where you think, hmm, I could fast all day! Or at least, only eat X calories. Yay me!

I'm going to link you to another post, one I really like, which is about (after your first 2 weeks) considering that you DO have a range of DD options... 20%, 30%, etc. Some people keep a note around, and on those days when will power and a good mantra (mine is/was this: I can tolerate mild discomfort) (and yes, sometimes I take a bath and go to bed early too, but maybe just 1x a month) don't cut it, you can have some extra calories.

I love the ABSENCE of all/nothing mentality on JUDDD. Heck, I just planned my UD for tomorrow, and it includes 500 cal of corn bread! LOL
the beauty of that is? I went out to dinner tonight, had a salad, took home the cornbread, knowing I could eat it tomorrow.

LOVE JUDDD for just that reason.

So hang in there, post here whenever you need to, and also when you don't ;) and sit back, do the rotations, do your best to stick to your numbers, and drink lots of water ;)

Here's that link (or 2):
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...e-happens.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...ing-juddd.html

and I especially groove to this one lately:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...post-ever.html

:) Soren

Babsbabs 07-04-2012 11:11 PM

:welcome: to JUDDD! JUDDD has somehow helped me to be a lot more in control of my eating. I guess I am happy as long as I know at some point in the near future I can have what I consider a decent meal! i hope it is the answer for you as well.

Yam-Yam 07-04-2012 11:24 PM

Stephanie: :welcome: and:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I believe a lot of what you said hit home with many if not all who read it in one way or another.

I'm so proud of you for all you have accomplished! And also very, very proud of your first DD!!:jumpjoy::jumpjoy: If you have had a chance to read any research being done on calorie restriction, intermittent fasting and the SIR genes you know that when those rescue genes become activated you will experience some good things. Appetite suppression is one.

We are all excited to have you here and look forward to reading many more wonderful posts as you progress. :sing:

Heather 07-05-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephdray (Post 15775770)
I just want to live my life and not have to count every morsel that goes into my mouth...I want to be normal. ...But I'm not normal.....

Hi Stephanie - Welcome. Just read your beautiful heartfelt post. Can see you're a talented writer. And love your Avi - kept looking at her and thinking of you. Great advice from everyone so far and more will come along.

I have no advice, just thoughts and sympathy. Your comments about wanting to be "normal", meaning "not having a ravenous appetite" and experiencing that on meds being like seeing color for the first time - for me that light went on when I had no appetite because of the flu - "Oh, this is what 'normal' people experience." I too lick my plates, while DH leaves 2 bites of everything. I asked him why - he said "I'm full". If I gave full reign to my appetite you'd see me on TV being cut out of my bedroom. There are millions of us, you are not alone. I know you know this. When I'm eating a salad out, I think "why can't I be normal like these other people here, eating fattening things." But then I look at their bodies, and most of them are overweight.

I, like you, was always starving on WW, JC, at 1,200 calorie sensible diets. Even though I've hovered for years at 170 to 190, on 1,400 calories I am ALWAYS hungry. I've just controlled it, because I can't stand gaining. The bottom line is the saying: Dieting is hard, exercising is hard, being fat is hard. Choose your hard. I look at that statement and think, I've done all 3 and they ARE ALL hard. But being fat is the hardest of the 3. So I have no choice. I tried Phentermine for 1 month from a doctor (it's still legal), and it took the edge off, but it still took tremendous will power to eat 1,000 cals or less EVERY day.

I haven't found anything as painless as JUDDD as a WOL to lose weight. With JUDDD I can pigout every other day. I would prefer to Pigout every day but that's not an option. If you find something less painful let me know. DD's aren't really painful - we each find a way to make them tolerable. That reminds me, some did 700 DD's from the beginning, because they "knew" they couldn't do JUDDD with lower DD's. They successfully reached maintenance.

Well that's enough, I can't seem to write short posts.

Keep posting, we'll all be anxious to hear how you're doing. Our hearts :heart: all reach out to you because we know exactly how you feel. We're all in the same predicament. I hope JUDDD works for you.

Am I still talking? :doh:

I often think: One alien asks the other, "How was planet earth? What are they doing there?" Other alien says, "Half of the people on the earth are starving, trying to get food in their mouths, and the other half are trying to keep food out of their mouths - they'll do anything, wire their mouths shut, cut fat off their body, anything!" Very strange. Hmmmm.... Sad, but somehow I don't think we're at fault - humans are trying so hard.

"Say good night Gracie!" :o

gotsomeold 07-05-2012 04:23 AM

:welcome: Stephanie!

Waking up on your first UD not starving is an excellent sign. This is what our bodies are designed to do. DD signaled that famine is at hand and your body responded appropriately: it prepared to maximize your ability to survive the famine.

Congratulations. You have already received your first sign that your body has the capacity to be normal.

Some of us have to wait a few weeks before we get there.

Today may be difficult or you may breeze right through it. Either reaction is normal because JUDDD is all about each of us as individuals. Either way, we want to hear from you. As you have already seen, JUDDD cares. JUDDD BUDDDs care.

PS - TWO books at once?!?!??? :stars: Wowsers!

Mitsa 07-05-2012 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muffabuff (Post 15775822)
Stephan, I read your post out loud to my DH. Your post was lovely to read and I'm very sure hardly the first thing you have ever written lol. I think you may have found your magic place to be. As you go on, the appetite suppression will kick in and make your DD easier and easier. And of course we will all be here to catch you if you fall. Give it more than two weeks. Sometimes it takes a bit longer for our bodies to heal. You absolutely can lose the weight without a doctor cutting holes in your lovely self. Give Juddd a real chance, give yourself a real chance and:welcome:
Vanessa

I second all of that. Good for you for taking the step. :hugs:

KeirasMom 07-05-2012 06:00 AM

Stephanie,

I appear to be pretty late to the party and you've already had some wonderful responses. I don't expect any less from this board. They're pretty amazing people. :welcome: !

I started out pretty close to your stats, so I can really sympathize. I am edging nearer and nearer to Onederland, so it CAN be done, and YOU can do it. I checked out your link, and love your bio. With your obvious intelligence and humor, I think you're going to do just fine, and fit in wonderfully with this group. Use us however you need to get you through the first weeks or months, and then I foresee you offering great support to others in need.

While you seek normalcy, this is a great place to find it with regards to food, but we're also quite abnormal in our approach to diet and to each other. I've never been on an easier plan, or had more success, and I attribute it to the amazing group of people here on this forum.

zipp2play 07-05-2012 06:19 AM

Stephanie - Welcome to JUDDD! It for me, has been the mental fix I needed against food. All of the sudden, FOOD does not control me anymore, I control the food. I pray that thi is the relief you get as well!

dee 07-05-2012 06:43 AM

Hello Stephanie! Thank you for sharing your story. Know that we all have difficult DDs. I had a tough one yesterday. It was the worst one in2 weeks. But i made it. And I also glad I didn't give in.
We are all here for you. Welcome aboard!!!!

Heather 07-05-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15776178)
Stephanie,

I appear to be pretty late to the party and you've already had some wonderful responses. I don't expect any less from this board. They're pretty amazing people. :welcome: !

I started out pretty close to your stats, so I can really sympathize. I am edging nearer and nearer to Onederland, so it CAN be done, and YOU can do it. I checked out your link, and love your bio. With your obvious intelligence and humor, I think you're going to do just fine, and fit in wonderfully with this group. Use us however you need to get you through the first weeks or months, and then I foresee you offering great support to others in need.

While you seek normalcy, this is a great place to find it with regards to food, but we're also quite abnormal in our approach to diet and to each other. I've never been on an easier plan, or had more success, and I attribute it to the amazing group of people here on this forum.

:goodpost: what she said.

P.S. "Hehe - my shortest post ever!" :p

theredhead 07-05-2012 08:06 AM

Here's another hand to help you along. The DDs get easier. I think part of it is physical, but I also think it's a mindset. Knowing that tomorrow I can eat satisfying foods and not feel guilty gets me through the hungrier DDs. I tend to eat the same foods on my DDs so I don't spend any time obsessing about what I'm going to eat, and I just let myself not care about it. But boy, do I enjoy the UDs! They're the reward for sticking it out on the DDs. You'll do well, I know it!

buttoni 07-05-2012 08:08 AM

Your post is very moving, Steph. Though I've not been in your shoes from age 5, since age 50, every pound lost has been a true battle for me as well. I hope JUDDD will be the answer for your relationship with food. I think it has many benefits along those lines to offer, not just weight loss. I've no doubt the support you seek is on this board.

TryingJudd 07-05-2012 08:09 AM

Welcome and best of luck. Like most things Judd works differently for different people. For me and many others it is slow loss for others it works like magic. The magic for me is that I am losing, albeit slowly. Everything else stopped working in the last couple of years. LC, WW, low cal, crazy exercise regimes- this peri menopausal body just would not cooperate. Judd for me is doable and it is helping me lose- ever so slowly, but I am losing and I feel like I am doing good, healthy things for my mind and body. Jump in - the people are great and you will be healthier with every passing week.

pookie_13 07-05-2012 08:11 AM

Stephanie -

Wow. Your story certainly rings a bell here. I have always been overweight - even as a child. While I'm otherwise healthy, I endured years of infertility treatment as a result of my weight. Looking back, I wouldn't change that journey (because then I wouldn't have the children I have today) but it goes along with my "gravel road" theory. It's not that there isn't a road there - I didn't pave any new paths in infertility treatment technology and physiology - my road was just a little bumpier than the "average" person. Amazingly, I found that "average" wasn't really all that common. Many of our friends went through the same things we did to have children. Now, I find that the same thing is true for weightloss. Of course there are thin people out there that have no idea about the emotional roller coaster that is a part of our lives every day. I am beginning to think that those thin people are the abnormal ones. At any rate, you are not abnormal and you are most certainly not alone. :hugs:

I experienced many of the same things you did with weight loss through the years, WW worked - until I went off of it and never NEVER wanted to be that hungry again. Low Carb worked - the first time I did it, but I got off track and packed it back on. South Beach got me started this time around, until the mother of all plateaus nearly drove me back up the scale. :lol: Caloric restriction was awful and like WW just made me feel cranky and irritable and HUNGRY. So, I went back to Low Carb and it has been the best overall for me. I do better with protein than carbs and don't feel hungry all the time. I'm a newbie NEWBIE to JUDDD, but am liking it already. I have found that I pay more attention to drinking lots of water on my DD and it's been so hot in Central Indiana (102 yesterday) that I spend a lot of time eating crushed ice - so that has helped with the desire to chew on something.

The interesting thing I noticed during my couple of DD so far was that my attitude seriously influenced how I was feeling about the DD. If I said "I only get 500 calories today and I am going to be hungry all day" I was hungrier than if I said "Wow, I'm really surprised at how full I am - this is not bad at all! I can SO do this." The years (AND YEARS) of dieting have really not taught me this, a kind of goofy book that I started reading on the power of positivity did. (FYI - it's called "The Positive Dog") I think being positive is what I have NOT been doing on all previous diets. If I SAY it's working and I'm able to do it - I will be able to do it more easily. Does that make sense?

The other thing I've tried to wrap my mind around during this last journey to permanently rid myself of 100 pounds is that I don't want to end up like my diabetic, heart-diseased and overall ill-healthed extended family. My dad has diabetes, congestive heart failure, is in the early stages of renal failure and is confined to an electric wheel chair. I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters and all of them have high (VERY HIGH) blood pressure, 2 of them are diabetic and one of them is so obese that he is on the brink of going on disability. None are taking charge of the body that they have to make necessary changes and I refuse to go down this path and I am standing firm. I refuse to do this to myself and I refuse to do this to my children. I want my grandkids (one day a long LONG time from now) to have grandparents that can play with them and take them places and BE a part of their lives. My kids are my motivation on days that I can't continue dieting because it's the right thing to do for me. I tell myself that I don't want them to be 45 years old and still trying to figure out how to lose the extra weight or dealing with all of the health issues that my family deal with.

At any rate, sorry for this long rambling post. I have a big soapbox when it comes to weight issues. :D Welcome to the board and the WOE and I wish you every success in your new journey. These folks have been so supportive and I think you'll agree it is a wonderful place to be. Good luck!

-Pookie

Heather 07-05-2012 08:34 AM

:goodpost: Great soap box post Pookie! :high5:

mykidsteacher 07-05-2012 09:20 AM

Welcome to JUDDD! Your post had me near tears, and then cheering for you. WTG on your first DD! They do get easier as time goes on, but even when you've been at it for months, you will have a DD where you feel like you want to eat the furniture. All sorts of things play into this, but for us girls, hormones are the biggie.

One of the most wonderful things about JUDDD, for me, is how much I learned about my body and it's reaction to different foods. While I only had a few pounds left to lose when I came to JUDDD, I didn't lose it easily. My metabolism was so broken, I had to heal a bit first before I could release the weight. But I am now 5 pounds below my original goal, and so happy I stuck with it. I learned that I have blood sugar issues that will lead me to be a diabetic if I don't watch it. So I'm not 'normal' either. I can't have cake at birthday parties, dessert with dinner, bread and potatoes in the same meal, bananas, grapes and rice are foods I simply can't eat (a blood sugar monitor was key to learning this). I learned that artificial sweeteners are a HUGE trigger for hunger and binge eating. I also discovered (through testing) that I am allergic to dairy, eggs and a few other things.

I primarily follow a paleo/primal woe now, and my body loves eating this way. I have found ways of baking without grain/dairy/eggs and using coconut sugar and stevia so I can make yummy goodies and enjoy them tremendously on my UD's.

Knowledge is power, and sometimes, we learn the most by the times we slip up. It happens to ALL of us--you blow a DD, an UD turns into an UUAD (up up and away day). The key is to NOT let one blown day take you off course, beat yourself up and cause you to quit. The beauty of JUDDD is, you just get right back into your rotation, and start from where you are.

I'm glad you are here, and hold out my hand to you to walk with you along this journey. I feel certain that before long, you will be extending a hand to a newbie, sharing your success and cheering them on.

Luvmydoggies 07-05-2012 09:28 AM

Welcome Steph!

I am pretty new to this myself...have been doing JUDDDD now for about 4 weeks. I haven't posted much on here, in fact, most of you out there in JUDDD land don't know me probably. I am a lurker and I have been so encouraged by reading this forum everyday. I also have been overweight pretty much all my life and have dieted continuously it seems. I am soon to be 58 (a very "young" 58, I might say :) and thought my chances of losing weight were getting slim to none...haha...no pun intended!

Since my start (around the first week of June), I have lost about 11 pounds. I have done LC off and on with some results but the problem is gaining it back when you go off for any reason. I got to the place where LC just wasn't doing it anymore for me...like you, I too was eating WAY too many calories and losing basically nothing... and also getting very discouraged. I got on forum and that's where I discovered JUDDDD and I have never in my life been so excited about a diet...if you want to call it that. I read post after post that these ladies have witten and after doing some research on the JUDDDD website, I decided what the heck did I have to lose except the weight?

I didn't know how in the world I was going to eat around 500 calories in one day...OMG! Well, I stay in the general vicinty of that but realistically, I probably eat more 600 on my DD's. What keeps me going when I start to hear that tummy growl (and I do sometimes) is just knowing that tomorrow I CAN EAT ANYTHING I WANT TO!! How freeing it is!

Well, the weight started to come down...then up...then down...then up again. It bounces around all over the place but what you need to keep remembering, everytime it comes back down, it comes to lower place on the scale. It might be back up 2-3 pounds the next day. You will find this is how it works. I feel like fat is just falling off me. Eleven pounds of fat...not water.

You will do good on this and it will not take you long to get used to it.

I will be looking forward to following your progress!!

Debby :)

Yam-Yam 07-05-2012 10:15 AM

Debby: That was a great post!:goodpost: Thanks for coming out of lurkdom to share your encouraging story.

I am 58! A young 58 as well IMO!!

Congratulations on losing 11 pounds! That's just awesome. :welcome: and I so look forward to seeing more posts from you.:jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

vanilla_latte 07-05-2012 10:40 AM

Welcome to JUDDD! With a couple of changes, your story could be mine! I'm a very slow loser and don't lose near as quick as others. But, I just came off a couple of weeks non-Juddd'ing due to surgery and my loss has held pretty steady (up a bit today due to too many carbs yesterday!). That's one of the beauties of JUDDD. If you have to go off your schedule for a few days, the weight either holds steady or if you do gain, it comes off quick.

The Down Days DO get easier once the Sirt1 gene kicks in. The day you fight to eat up to your Up Day calories or realize you've forgotten to eat is one of the signs of it having kicked in. I, too, am trying to stay mainly low carb as I feel it's best for the body. But, I also know not having another piece of cake or bread is totally unrealistic for me. Like yesterday. :lol:

The scale WILL bounce, so be prepared for that. It seems most of us settle on a routine DD menu so we know what those calories are. I struggle sometimes with not eating enough on my UD and it has caused me to get stuck, so EAT on an UD. It's all about keeping the body guessing.

Best wishes on your journey!

NoWeigh 07-05-2012 10:51 AM

Your post was an incredible read. Thank you for taking the time to tell us your story.

Just want to send a hug :hugs: and to wish you much JUDDD magic!

Connie

Scotty 07-05-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

At any rate, you are not abnormal and you are most certainly not alone.
Quote:

I'm glad you are here, and hold out my hand to you to walk with you along this journey. I feel certain that before long, you will be extending a hand to a newbie, sharing your success and cheering them on.
What they said!! :goodpost:
And :welcome:

I am one of the people who "gets through" the DDs. I don't like them, never have, never will :laugh:

The good thing, though, is that, to paraphrase Scarlett, "tomorrow is another (UP) day". :D

stephdray 07-05-2012 11:09 AM

Wow!

When you people hand-hold, you do it up big, don't you?

I'm so grateful for the support and for each and every one of these replies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiethecat (Post 15775785)
:cry: Crying from reading your post. :heart:

That's ok. I was a little weepy writing it.

sterlinggirl 07-05-2012 11:17 AM

:hugs: I am way to emotional today to help .. I cant stop feeling like crying after reading your post.. i have been there..:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: much love on this forum and support. hang in there.. many of us have felt those same feelings as you (wanting to be or feel normal) Some day i plan to be normal my self..:heart:

circusgirl 07-05-2012 11:23 AM

Sending so much love to you! I commented on your other post, but wanted to say something here too. I read it earlier but was too teary to see my screen. I'm so glad you're here, and I can't wait to be a part of your journey. This is a fantastic WOE, and I can't say enough good things about it. You are already starting to see some benefits from what you've said, which is awesome. More are coming, I promise!