Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Struggling...maybe JUDDD is not right for me?

Hi all,

Struggling this morning and could use some support or advice.

I started low carb on 6/11, came to LCF, and found JUDDD. I thought WOW! How awesome could this be??? I never have done well on super calorie restriction every single day, like as in I can only stick to super low calorie for about a day, if that. That's why I never looked in to hcg. I can't afford it, and I couldn't imagine being successful.

Started JUDDD on 6/15. My calculator on the site says 2640 UD and 528 DD for 20%. I have done just fine on my UDs, staying at or below that number, sometimes 300 below. DD's are tougher. Those are usually closer to 600-700 , but STILL my 30% number is 792. Should I not be seeing some good losses?

Here's my history:
6/15 329.6 UD
328.5 DD
327.8 UD
328.5 DD
326.6 UD
326.8 DD
326.8 UD
327 DD
325 UD
6/26 325.6 DD started on Armour thyroid 1 grain
327.4 UD
327.8 DD
327.8 UD upped thyroid med to 2 grains (per doc instructions)
327.8 DD
7/1 328.8 UD
328.4 DD
326.8 UD somehow I don't think this was accurate
329.6 DD

Uhhhhh. I am where I started! I don't honestly know what I am doing here. I have read through so many threads and can't find *me* in them. In other words, sungoddess's wonderful thread wasn't me because of great losses for a long, long time, then a stall, etc. I can't say that.

I have had NO changes to rotation. I have had NO UUADs. If I were to go on a regular ol' diet, like WW or something, the average of 1500 cals a day I would not lose. I have trouble losing on 1300 cals a day. My metabolism must be seriously messed up. I could have scale issues, it's hard to find a scale that accurately weighs someone as big as me.

Do you think it could be carbs? I have been eating mostly low carb/high fat. But my favorite treat I didn't want to give up was popcorn. With lots of butter. So I save it for an UD, count every bite and drop of butter. But I am wondering if the combo of carb/fat is a killer for me? I also am getting concerned about sodium. So many low carb choices are salty ones. I sometimes eat bacon, turkey pepperoni, olives, cheese, pickles, etc.

I think this thyroid is also an issue. Just getting on the meds and getting it regulated, although I have yet to "feel" any differently at all. This might be TMI, but in the last 7 months I have only had 2 cycles, probably brought on by stopping my thyroid meds abruptly (life circumstances) and I thought maybe perimenopause - I'm 44. Not anything to do about it but ride the wave of getting the meds optimized. Maybe I am simply in a flux right now?

How would you tweak? I am wondering if I should give it a week with super low carbs...no more wonderful popcorn. Maybe I am super sensitive to the high fat/carb combo and never made that connection? I have already cut out pretty much all other carbs except veggies and a little bit of fruit. But just now looking at my diary I see that often my UDs are not really as low carb as I think - about 120. Should I limit sodium? Increase veggies? Add coconut oil and count/not count it? Try a fat fast like sungoddess did?

Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope!

6/22/13 restart of NK
amlyjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: garnet10
Stats: 182/Goal 125
WOE: hCG
Start Date: hCG 10/9/10; restarted 10/14/13
Amy, my heart goes out to you! I don't have any answers but I loved your Obi-Wan reference (I use this all the time, too!)

I have read theories that overweight people have a different composition of beneficial/non-beneficial bacteria in their gut--so I take a great probiotic every day. (I don't know if I can name it on this list.)

I have also read that fat acts as a storage for environmental toxins. One way to get rid of some of these toxins, and perhaps get the fat to metabolize, is by sweating. Are you able to start a walking program? For the first few days you could walk enough so that you are sweating for 5 minutes, then build up to 10 minutes, then 20 minutes until you are sweating daily for 30 minutes. This is just a thought. I think this is why exercise is so beneficial--moving the body burns fat and sweating eliminates toxins.

I don't know your age, but women who are peri-menopausal tend to have hormonal issues that make it very difficult to lose weight. Your doctor could test your estrogen/testosterone/progesterone levels and see if they need re-balancing.

Lastly, I have read it can take 6 weeks before you may see a difference in your metabolism from starting thyroid medication.

I know others here will have better thoughts, but I just wanted to respond.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
((amlyjo)), there are likely more than a couple answers to your question. About sodium, do you use an online calculator? Perhaps it would be to your advantage to track your sodium with one just to see what amount of sodium you really are getting. If that is suspect, it would be better to know than to wonder. Maybe you should be substituting some salmon for that bacon - but you'd have to track it first to know.

Your new thyroid meds may need more time for stabilization - others here know more about that than I do, but with these changes so recently, that could be messing with your scale numbers right now.

Yes to coconut oil. No matter how you count, one way or another, it is good for you and especially good for your thyroid. Get an organic, "virgin" brand.

Yes to veggies - how many servings are you getting on UDs? Knowing that might help others give you good advice.

Also, don't neglect extra water right now to compensate for high temperatures.

If I'm not mistaken, there would be several JUDDDers who can tell you that it took more than 3 weeks for them to start seeing losses. I hope you get lots of good advice. All best wishes.

Lost 13 pounds on JUDDD in 2009 and began happy maintenance. Slipped up in 2012, but JUDDD got me back to goal!
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
The UD cals seem high.

Maybe look at that post that discusses standard deviation to review the range.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
Would you mind providing more of your stats: age, height, etc.?

Don't let being hypothyroid put you off, there are a lot of us here who are and are losing well. I came to this board in March and my metabolism seemed to be seriously messed up. I have been hypothyroid for over five years. Before JUDDD no matter how far down I drove my calories, or what foods I gave up, I couldn’t lose weight in any significant amount. When I found this site and thought about trying JUDDD I was so scared to eat 2500 calories on UD. I asked if anyone else started with a “broken metabolism” and expressed concerns of a “fast 10-pound gain.” What I got instead was a 15-pound loss in the first month! That was a HUGE message to me: this is what my body needs. What amazes me, why I think JUDDD is magic, is that I am eating the same 2-day average of 3,000 calories I had been for a long time and not losing. Before JUDDD I ate 1,500 calories every day, now it is 2500-UD/500-DD and the weight is coming off.

The calorie numbers you’ve been using do sound just a little high to me, but without your other stats it's only a guess. You could be off just a bit and not see results. I imagine that everyone’s mileage varies, however I can and do eat all type of foods now. The one thing that also made a world of difference for me is quitting diet soda. Actually that is probably equally responsible for me doing well. But I do eat anything, including popcorn! Orville’s Movie Style popcorn is a frequent on my down days because four cups are only 140 calories.

Also, it is important to be careful to count calories accurately, do not rely on lot of guesstimating and write it down so nothing is forgotten through the day. I use a digital postage scale and weigh my food and enter the numbers into ****** online, as I go in order to keep track.

The one other thing that I can think of is are you sure that you are getting enough nutrients from what you are eating? I sometimes wonder if our bodies do not get what they need, then the weight doesn’t seem to come off as easily. I have found for me although I can and do eat anything, that it must be a balancing act between eating whatever I want and also feeding my body what it needs.

It is that simple: find your right numbers, count your calories, and I bet you’ll be watching the scale move downward! (:

Wishing you much magic,
Connie
Old 07-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
The UD cals seem high.

Maybe look at that post that discusses standard deviation to review the range.
I've been back to the site and recalculated. My weight is 329, height 5'10, age 44. I've looked at so many threads that say you must eat your UD cals!! I have also read threads that discuss the calculations. I'm a bit like . I even used a different RMR that comes in at 2200 cals. But I've had a number of days at that level on UD. The DDs are more important though, huh?

Should I try 2000/500? I seriously don't think there is any way I can go under 500. It's not a matter of will power, I just get so hungry and obsessed, light-headed, and grumpy!

I assume the thyroid is playing a bigger issue than I realize. I am willing to give it some time to stabilize, I just don't know what or how to eat in the mean time!

Thanks for the support so far all. I assumed that with this much to lose I have plenty of fat stores, it should be impossible for me to not lose if I stick to the plan. Yet, here I am. I'm not sure I believe in the whole starvation mode thing for someone at this weight. Need to go find those links from the Eat-Stop-Eat guy about that and learn more. But I am hardly starving...eating 2200-2600 cals on an UD is SOOOOO not Starving!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWeigh View Post
I was so scared to eat 2500 calories on UD. I asked if anyone else started with a “broken metabolism” and expressed concerns of a “fast 10-pound gain.” What I got instead was a 15-pound loss in the first month!
Thank you Connie! We were typing at the same time. Your results are what I was hoping for. I came into the JUDDD forum and saw these kinds of results and couldn't imagine that I wouldn't have the same success. I posted in another thread that I intuitively thought the Dr J site numbers were just too high.

I guess I will stick with it for a while longer and try as hard as I can to keep DDs to under 500 and UDs to around 2000. Lots more water. Maybe that will get some things moving along.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Lost with JUDDD! Maintaining with HDE/IE
Your numbers look right to me. My suggestion would be to follow them absolutely accurately for a couple of weeks and see what happens. The other thing I'd like to stress is that I was losing very well when I was diagnosed hypothyroid. I was put on levothyroxine and lost almost nothing for two weeks. Each adjustment made to my medication since then has resulted in a slow down. Until you're back optimized, that's just a sad fact of life for us. Keep doing the rotations, find the food combinations which work for you, and it WILL happen. I know it's hard to be patient and have faith, but I really believe this.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
May 2014: Still maintaining; taking a stab at HDE/IE
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I know how frustrating weight loss can be.

My experience is probably useless since I had less to lose but I started at 500/2000 and lost slowly but surely at those numbers. When I had those numbers mastered I lowered my DD calories to what the calculator said. It took me 4 months to lose 25 pounds. It is not a fast method for many and I do not have any health issues like many others. Plus I eat anything and everything. I am willing to have a slow loss rather than follow VLC/lowfat which is the only way I ever lost weight in the past.

I hope you will keep trying JUDDD since I feel very passionate about the success I have had with it. Here's hoping you find the magic numbers that work for you.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/148/139 JUDDD 01/08/12

Last edited by adillenal; 07-04-2012 at 10:25 AM..
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
How are your clothes fitting? I ask because sometimes the pounds on a scale wont budge but you will be losing inches left and right and not realize it. My scale has said between 165-170 for 2 months now.....BUT......in those 2 months I have dropped 7 inches!!!!

My thoughts are you stick with JUDDD for a little longer but start measuring and see if your not dropping inches instead of pounds!!!! You would be surprized!!! I can almost promise it!!!!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
There are a lot of threads that say you must eat your UD calories, but Dr Johnson does not say so.

Many JUDDD BUDDDs have found it works better for them, but if I recall correctly, they were probably within about 50lbs of their goal weight.

I think especially for people with a larger amount of weight to lose and/or a high % of body fat, lower UD calories are okay. As you lose weight, you'll need to eat less on UDs anyway, so IMO it's better not to get used to eating so much, KWIM?

If your natural appetite is bringing you around 2000-2200 calories, I think that it would be fine to try those levels for a couple weeks.

I've commented on this UD issue a couple times in the last week or so, so I don't want to repeat myself in case you've read it. Or, you can search some of my recent posts, if you feel so inclined.

One thing I have read over & over in this quest to lose weight is that in overweight people, our cells are getting the message to store fat, but even when we restrict calories and NEED to access that stored fat, our cells won't release it.

This is due to all sorts of hormones & neurotransmitters...but part of the problem (or so I've read) is that our cell membranes aren't elastic or permeable enough.

This may be caused by consuming transfats and too much Omega-6 fats, so one of the most crucial factors would be Omega-3s. Adding these to your diet (I eat chia seeds & fish like herring, and/or take evening primrose oil every day) may help release those fat stores and increase sensitivity to insulin/leptin/etc.

Other things that may improve cell elasticity:
cinnamon
Vitamin C
magnesium
MSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWeigh View Post
The one other thing that I can think of is are you sure that you are getting enough nutrients from what you are eating? I sometimes wonder if our bodies do not get what they need, then the weight doesn’t seem to come off as easily.
I agree...for example, I have found that even though a salad doesn't really fill me up right when I eat it, I am less hungry the rest of the day & sometimes even the next day if I eat one.

With impaired cell elasticity, it could be that nutrients aren't getting INTO the cells, even if you're eating highly nutritious foods. So Omega-3s could help decrease appetite & increase energy once the cells are absorbing nutrients better.
2014:
6/29 282.8
7/07 280.2
7/09 277.8

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-04-2012 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: clarification, add quote
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
I really hope that you start to see some success soon on the scale Amiyjo! I have been following JUDDD now since March and I am just now getting my hunger under control. It took me three months to finally get this JUDDD benefit and I seriously never thought it would happen for me! DD's are easier and UD's are too. I think that sometimes things are changing that don't show up on the scale right away. I can't imagine how frustrating it is to have the thyroid issues as well to contend with but it sounds like you are getting some great advice here.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #13
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Amy- How long were you off your thyroid meds? I ask because my understanding is that we should never stop them, and stopping them at a time when you're also experiencing the hormonal shifts of perimenopause may have screwed up your metabolic issues somewhat.

I say this because thyroid usually isn't an issue unless you are seriously deficient in T3. I actually lost my first 60 lbs while I had severe hypo symptoms and was still undiagnosed. I didn't lose any better after I was on Rx because with hypothyroid, we inevitably have a slower metabolism.

I didn't come to JUDDD until I was 250 lbs (lost low carb prior, and remained low carb on JUDDD), but I came to JUDDD 4 years ago solely because I knew I needed to severely restrict calories. Online calculators are helpful if a person 'fits' the general population--I don't, and most people who are severely overweight also don't.

At 340 lbs, I could not lose on anything over 1400 cal. At 250, I had to lower that to <1,000 cal--and that was too frustrating to do daily. JUDDD saved me. I used only the calculator DD number--starting at 435--and I lost 100 lbs more at basically 400/1400 cal. [I e-mailed Dr. Johnson, and he assured me that the UD number was entirely flexible, and I should do what worked for me.]

When I told my endo what I was doing, he told me that he estimated that I was correct on needing to eat less than 1,000 cal daily to lose--and he loved the concept of JUDDD, putting all the information on my calorie split into my chart. (He also told me that he has patients who cannot lose unless them limit themselves to 750 cal daily because of medical issues, and that made me feel a little better about my situation.)

I'm not saying this to scare you--I'm sure you can eat a higher calorie level than I could (I was post-menopausal also), but keep in mind that the 'calculator' may not give you the right level.

Personally, at my highest weight I could not have done JUDDD. The low DDs would have been too difficult for me, and when I could lose at 1200 to 1400 cal a day, just eatling low carb worked fine for me.

Also, because I'm so carb sensitive, I could never have managed DDs without remaining very low carb--which I still remain in maintenance. I learned via Dr. Atkins that the reason I was morbidly obese my entire life is my carb sensitivity. IMO, losing weight involved a process of learning about yourself and your body and how your body functions.

Don't try to fit yourself into a plan that works for others. Find out what works best for you. Weight management is a lifetime challenge--I've been maintaining for almost a year and still find challenges to deal with--so you want your WOE to fit you and your lifestyle.

I wish you all the best on your journey.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gello5440
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Amy- How long were you off your thyroid meds? I ask because my understanding is that we should never stop them, and stopping them at a time when you're also experiencing the hormonal shifts of perimenopause may have screwed up your metabolic issues somewhat.

I say this because thyroid usually isn't an issue unless you are seriously deficient in T3. I actually lost my first 60 lbs while I had severe hypo symptoms and was still undiagnosed. I didn't lose any better after I was on Rx because with hypothyroid, we inevitably have a slower metabolism.

I didn't come to JUDDD until I was 250 lbs (lost low carb prior, and remained low carb on JUDDD), but I came to JUDDD 4 years ago solely because I knew I needed to severely restrict calories. Online calculators are helpful if a person 'fits' the general population--I don't, and most people who are severely overweight also don't.

At 340 lbs, I could not lose on anything over 1400 cal. At 250, I had to lower that to <1,000 cal--and that was too frustrating to do daily. JUDDD saved me. I used only the calculator DD number--starting at 435--and I lost 100 lbs more at basically 400/1400 cal. [I e-mailed Dr. Johnson, and he assured me that the UD number was entirely flexible, and I should do what worked for me.]

When I told my endo what I was doing, he told me that he estimated that I was correct on needing to eat less than 1,000 cal daily to lose--and he loved the concept of JUDDD, putting all the information on my calorie split into my chart. (He also told me that he has patients who cannot lose unless them limit themselves to 750 cal daily because of medical issues, and that made me feel a little better about my situation.)

I'm not saying this to scare you--I'm sure you can eat a higher calorie level than I could (I was post-menopausal also), but keep in mind that the 'calculator' may not give you the right level.

Personally, at my highest weight I could not have done JUDDD. The low DDs would have been too difficult for me, and when I could lose at 1200 to 1400 cal a day, just eatling low carb worked fine for me.

Also, because I'm so carb sensitive, I could never have managed DDs without remaining very low carb--which I still remain in maintenance. I learned via Dr. Atkins that the reason I was morbidly obese my entire life is my carb sensitivity. IMO, losing weight involved a process of learning about yourself and your body and how your body functions.

Don't try to fit yourself into a plan that works for others. Find out what works best for you. Weight management is a lifetime challenge--I've been maintaining for almost a year and still find challenges to deal with--so you want your WOE to fit you and your lifestyle.

I wish you all the best on your journey.
Not Amy but this was a powerful post for me too. I could really use your counsul, Leo, if you ever have the time.

Gail
gello5440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #15
dee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dee
Stats: (HW196)188/181.4/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart Nov 26.13 (formerly HHCG 2 rounds)
Hi Leo,

You lost 194 lbs???? Really? Please, please share your story (or if you already have...please direct me to it). I am struggling at 180+ lbs and I sooo want to be 146 lbs which is your current weight. I have only 2 JUDD weeks under my belt so maybe I am just being impatient. So far, Gail and I both would love to hear your story. Please share
dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Amlyjo, what stood out to me first was that you stated that you often eat 300 calories UNDER your UD calories. For any other woe that might be a positive. However, on Juddd this is a negative. You are not helping to heal your metabolism by doing this. And you are not fully fueling yourself for your UD.
Also you are consistently eating between 75-175 extra calories on your DD.
The good news is that his is a very simple fix. You simply must respect your given calorie calculation on both your UD and DD period. Juddd is about the calories and not much else. You might as well just be picking random calories from the air. iMHO this is the only reason why you are not losing any weight. The answer is in front of you. Respect your calories and you should start to see the numbers on the scale going down.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Amyljo, Dee, & Gello~

I have the same situation as Leo. I have a very dysfunctional thyroid, have been medicated for about 5 years, but the difference is that I never had a weight problem until I hit peri-meno about 5 years ago and then I gained about 50 lbs in a matter of three years. I was able to lose 45 lbs on hcg, but if I hadn't learned from Leo, I really think I would have given up. Also, I can't have simple carbs at all. No starch, wheat or sugar. Wine is even an issue. Believe me, it was such a downer for me to discover this because everyone else is losing just fine eating all of the bread and sugar they want. But, just like Leo says, they are metabolically different than I am.

Amy, From reading what you are saying, you have maintenance down perfect and this was what I was struggling with as well. You really do need to try lowering your UD calories even if it is 50 cals per UD until you find the right spot. I can have no more than 1200 cal avg and my UD is 1784. Now, I do lose with my DD being 35% but no more than that and actually, I work out pretty much daily. If I am not working out it is best to keep it at the 20%.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

One more thing, I simply can not do this by guesstimating anything. I have to log everything out in advance. For instance, I log my meals on ****** so that I can find the perfect combo to meet the exact calories. I know lots of folks eat out, but for me it is a huge deal breaker. Unless that is the only meal that I have for the day. I can't seem to guess as well with dinners that I don't make. Good luck and best wishes to all of you! I would love to see JUDDD become fine tuned to each of your situations!

The one thing that helps me a lot is the appetite suppression. I really don't seem to be missing food or feeling restricted. I am certain that is because the DD have activated the SIRT-1 and the appetite suppression is working perfectly. Now, when I added the simple carbs in, the first thing I noticed was that I was very hungry on DD. Almost unusually hungry.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Wow, such wonderful wisdom and support!!!

Leo, I too would love to hear your story! What an inspiration. Do you have a blog or a journal or something?

My take-aways from all you wise and wonderful new friends are this: (correct me if I am wrong)

1. Might want to consider a probiotic to get the gut balanced out. This was a good reminder for me - and something that rang true when I read the 17 Day Diet, that we all have gut healing that needs to be done. I don't seem to have issues with food causing gut issues that are noticeable, like nausea, gas, etc, but I struggle with constipation. I assumed it was a thyroid issue. Could it be gut imbalance?

2. Get moving.

3. Yes to coconut oil. I like it okay, may have to see how many calories of it I can fit in then experiment with continuing to take it without counting. I doubt I'll ever get up to 3T daily though. I'm more like a 1tsp at a time gal.

4. Keep an eye on nutrition. Make choices for whole foods that nourish instead of empty carb calories (popcorn! )

5. I know Muffabuff said eat those UD calories, and I respect your opinion, but I am going to lower them AND lower the DD ones. So much of what Leo said, as a formerly very heavy person like me, rings true. Something is very wrong when you follow the advice meant for the typical population and nothing is working.

Thank you so much for your support and tips and ideas and helping me get my head around this. I just feel like I have tried every single thing. I loved the idea of JUDDD as a strategy for the calories, then I chose the calories. But same as all other weight loss attempts, my body does not want to cooperate. I even did Medifast and was eating about 900 cals daily and struggled to lose about a pound or so a week. But it was impossible for me to eat that way every single day. I love the idea of nourishing, then just about fasting, then nourishing again. I just have to get control of the hunger on those DDs.

And I had to laugh that I have the hang of maintenance! Great. Just great. I can maintain 329 pounds!

I am taking today as a MD, getting my head cleared out of the bad self talk, and enjoying my family.

Happy 4th to you all. I'm gonna stick around and give the lower cals a shot!!
Old 07-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, and Amy, never take 3 tbs of CO in one sitting! I have 1 for breakfast everyday and sometimes for the energy I will have another later on in the day, but never could I have it all at one sitting.

The only reason I mentioned lowering your UD is because I tried and tried to eat the higher calories and I would lose and regain the same lb over and over. I felt like I was stuck in the movie "Groundhog Day".
Old 07-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Amy: I loved reading this thread. There is so much good info here and I want to thank you for sharing your struggle with us and reaching out for suggestions.

Had a thought or two:

1. Regarding the Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, I really, really love it stirred into a hot cup of Nestle's sugar free, fat free hot chocolate and I usually stir in a teaspoon or two of SF mocha cappucino as well. It tastes wonderfully decadent. I started out using 1 teaspoon. Sometimes now I stir in more. It will totally help with the constipation issue. It's thermogenic so it will help with the sluggish metabolism and since the liver sends it directly to the brain (which needs healthy fats to function) a lot of things will get better. BTW I read that you should not microwave CO something about the nutrients or medium chain thingies getting messed up. I just stir it into a hot drink and it's yummy.

2. When the Silent Information Regulator (SIR) genes become activated and the product of the rescue gene (SIR 1) builds up in your system you should begin to experience appetite suppression. Also, those sirtuin enzymes block extra calories from being stored as fat and they cause stored fat to be burned. Drink more water and iced tea than you ever thought you could drink. This is because those extra calories and the burned fat are mostly flushed out through the kidneys.

3. When Leo talked about carb sensitivity, I could really relate. PCOS runs in my family. My daughter was diagnosed when in her 20's and has all the symptoms in spades including the weight gain, unwanted hair and sadly, infertility. Lean protein is my friend. Many experts are now recommending at least 120 grams per day (w JUDD I can space that out over 2 days and get it through fat free dairy, eggs and lean fish, poultry and meat).

Lastly, Pat, one of the original resident JUDD experts talks often about the healing that must happen for some people in their bodies before the weight will start to drop. In addition to Leo's awesome advice that comes from personal experience and wisdom, I would add that the healing part may take time. I believe it will definitely happen with JUDD as you experiment and find the right DD # for YOU. Pat has said that some people have worked their rotations for 2 months and started noticing benefits like reduced inflamation, pain reduction from joint problems, relief from asthma etc. BEFORE the weight started coming off.

I know it would be really hard to follow a plan for 8 weeks and have to wait for the weight drop. But most people who have experienced that feel it was worth it.

Continue to read about SIRs. There is lots of great info and even videos from scientists who are studying it right now if you do a Google search for something like "What does the SIRT 1 gene do?"

I'm so happy you are going to stay with the JUDD BUDD family!! I have loved reading your posts wherever I saw them and look forward to hearing more about what you are learning, how you are tweaking and how everything is going for you.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

In case you haven't seen this, I just wanted to share a thread that I find very moving & inspirational--
your comment about 900-calorie days on Medifast reminded me of it:

IT’S ALL TRUE!!!! (Long)

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-04-2012 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 07-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
HI Amy,
First let me share am empathetic hug. This journey we are on is not an easy one.

For those of us who are or have been significantly overweight, the journey is even a harder one. I think there are different rules of us as it is my belief we are more metabolically challenged.

I think you have gotten GREAT advice here already, so there isn't a great deal more to add. I started at around your weight, so I understand where you are coming from.

These are just my theories so take them for what they are worth. I have gotten these from lots of readings over the years that I have taken notes on. And lots of experimenting on my part! At this time, I wouldn’t do the fat fast that I did. I did it simply to break a stall. If I were you I think I would stick with JUDDD because it heals- I think sticking with it will heal your metabolism and that is number one. It is working for me and has worked for others in our situation. Your sole concentration should be on that-healing your body. In fact, you might just put the scale away for a a few weeks. I know I needed to do that when I started.

I would stick very closely to my rotation and very close to my calorie allotment. I would be sure to measure and count things and log them into an online calorie counter. I was eating at a high calorie amount on my up day too and I did lose. I have lowered my up day calories as I have lost weight.

Have you had a complete physical recently?I ask because it is always good to know what you are dealing with.

When dealing with a metabolism that isn't working great, I do believe giving it extra support is necessary. Here are other suggestions I have. Take them as they apply to you.

1.Take friendly flora daily.

2.Make sure that you are getting high enough levels of fiber, 30 grams – 60 grams per day for very overweight people. Fiber helps bind LPS. I take psyllium husks 3x a day and the fiber is also a key prebiotic for friendly flora growth. It acts like a sponge for toxins and cholesterol, helps to regulate food cravings, and reduces the amount of food needed at a meal to get a normal full signal.

3. On your dd’s make it a healthy day. Eat very low carb. Start your day with adequate protein and fiber. Avoid carbs. Take L-glutamine powder to cut cravings 3x a day on empty stomach. Pine nut oil can also help reduce hunger pains. As you go along, the hunger diminishes. It is a good day for your body to heal because it isn't working on digesting food and can get to the important things it needs to do like healing you.

4. Assure you are getting adequate omega-3 oil-DHA. Very necessary for the fat burning process.DHA lowers inflammation in white adipose tissue. A number of studies show that DHA boosts adiponectin levels.

5. I would start doing JUDDD low carb. The beauty of JUDDD to many is the ability to eat what they want, but I think people with a lot to lose need to be careful with the carbs. At least in the beginning. Starting out, I would cut out the popcorn and stick to the things you mentioned you were eating. Good protein, fats, and low carb veges. Add other carbs in slowly, but be cautious with processed foods, sugars, white flour.

6. Keep health as your primary focus. Changing the dynamics within your body that make weight loss possible requires many aspects of health to work in the right away, especially as time goes along. A healthy process of weight loss offers many health benefits long before an optimal weight goal is achieved.

7. Get adequate sleep and keep stress levels as low as possible.

8. The metabolic stress of being overweight is associated with increased demands for a variety of basic nutrients. You may or may not be lacking these nutrients. Various sluggish situations of metabolic efficiency can be improved with dietary supplements. For some people various dietary supplements improve the sluggish issues and simply help make the process easier and progress more consistent. For others such support may be instrumental in making improvement. There is no magic pill, but your body may need support. Magnesium is very important.Doses up to 800 mg a day are typically quite helpful in improving sluggish metabolism. But some folks are limited by bowel tolerance as to how much magnesium they can take. It has a laxative effect so you need to build up slowly. Magnesium has also been shown in overweight people to improve metabolic gene signaling.

Being overweight is a pro-inflammatory condition that places an extra demand on antioxidants. Be sure you are getting sufficient antioxidants while attempting weight loss. And be sure your vitamin D3 levels are adequate. When I started weight loss, my D3 levels were below 26! I didn't really start losing weight until the levels got to over 35. It's a good idea to use supplements to help detoxification processes like silymarin and liquid chlorophyll. At least take a good multi vitamin and mineral.

9. To manage leptin, eat protein in the AM, leave 5 hours between meals and make your last meal 3 hours before you go to sleep.

10. Avoid all trans fats

11. Take coconut oil. Work up to 3 tablespoons daily,divided doses. Start with a teaspoon at a time and build up.

12. Be sure to move. Gentle walking to start.

13. Take your measurements and use those as your tool over the scale. Get jeans a size smaller than you are wearing and use those as a fat loss tool.

It may take awhile for your body to heal from whatever ails it before you see weight loss. Give JUDDD a chance to do it's work behind the scenes. Remember in the Wizard of OZ?There was a man behind the curtain controlling things. Well your body controls things behind the scenes too. Things that may not show up on the scale. Your body may need to heal inflammation or other things before it can put its mind to the job of losing fat. This is not an overnight trip by any means. I think if you stick with JUDDD you will heal yourself and when you heal yourself, the fat will come off.

It isn't easy, but it is so worth it. Read through the non-scale victory thread every day. It will give you the motivation to carry on. You can do this. Stick with it.

Edit- sorry some of this is now repetitive to what others said. I started this post in the AM and didn't come back until the PM to finish it!

Last edited by sungoddess; 07-04-2012 at 04:26 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is excellent Beverly! I really think you should copy and paste that in its own thread. I can see so much in here that has helped me and I know for a fact that as we age, we need all of the help we can get!

The D-3, magnesium, psyllium, and Omega 3 are essentials for me on a daily basis now. I truly believe we can all benefit from this! Thank you!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow! Beverly! Excellent post!! I'm going to print it out because it is so helpful. You are so smart!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Beverly: I agree with Sunday! copy and paste that in to a new thread so all can see and learn!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Amlyjo, I think that you completely misunderstood my post. I wasn't telling you to eat more I was suggesting that you need to eat less! I was trying to point out that you are eating 75-175 calories too much on your DD. and you are eating 200 calories too much on your UD. I'm not sure how you got more food from that post but whatever. In general it is too much food all around that is IMHO causing your weigh gain/ no loss. Good news is that it is a simple fix. Recalculate your calories and follow them to the letter. Your scale should be moving down in no time. Good luck
Old 07-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

I'm getting really confused at this point about your UD, whatever your UD calories are, eat all of them
Old 07-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, Beverly!!! That's an excellent to-do list!!!
Thank you for taking the time to put that together.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Oh I forgot insanely excellent post Beverly