Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Need advice about gluc powder

How much is it ok to use in a day? Have you ever made a protein shake and put some in? How much do you recommend for that?

I bought some from Netrition and have not really used it until today. At lunch time (it's a DD) a protein shake sounded good. I used fat free milk and a 90 calorie scoop of whey isolate protein powder which I have used many times before. I added ice and one rounded teaspoon of the gluc powder.

Was a teaspoon too much?

I don't want to tell you what happened 5 minutes later because it would be TMI but it's why I'm asking for advice. thanks!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
How much is it ok to use in a day? Have you ever made a protein shake and put some in? How much do you recommend for that?

I bought some from Netrition and have not really used it until today. At lunch time (it's a DD) a protein shake sounded good. I used fat free milk and a 90 calorie scoop of whey isolate protein powder which I have used many times before. I added ice and one rounded teaspoon of the gluc powder.

Was a teaspoon too much?

I don't want to tell you what happened 5 minutes later because it would be TMI but it's why I'm asking for advice. thanks!
Love this! Was it really 5 minutes?!?!

I have made the pudding before and I believe I used a tsp. So I may not be much help! It can wreak havoc if you don't drink lots of water before & after.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
it entirely depends on your particular digestive system. Gluc gives me the runs. I have to be very careful on DD's. I usually have a 1/2 tsp gluc/protein/crystal lite shake (mix powders together before adding water) in the morning. If all goes well digestively speaking, I might have another in the afternoon or I might have some gluc pudding. About a tsp a day total for me, but YMMV.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I've used a tsp in a protein shake before. I'd say if you're reacting to it, try a 1/2 tsp next time and work your way up.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
it entirely depends on your particular digestive system. Gluc gives me the runs. I have to be very careful on DD's. I usually have a 1/2 tsp gluc/protein/crystal lite shake (mix powders together before adding water) in the morning. If all goes well digestively speaking, I might have another in the afternoon or I might have some gluc pudding. About a tsp a day total for me, but YMMV.
Thank you! I couldn't think of a nice way to say it. but that is what happened!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I've used a tsp in a protein shake before. I'd say if you're reacting to it, try a 1/2 tsp next time and work your way up.
Do you think half a teaspoon will thicken it up as much? I was thinking it would have tasted better if it was a little thicker. Until the reaction happened I was telling myself that next time I would put in more than a teaspoon to get it thicker. Probably not a good idea, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Love this! Was it really 5 minutes?!?!

I have made the pudding before and I believe I used a tsp. So I may not be much help! It can wreak havoc if you don't drink lots of water before & after.
Yes! and then 5 more minutes til the next episode. I believe I'm completely empty now. Hope it took some fat stores with it! I had been drinking lots of water before and drank some right after I finished the shake as well, so no problem about hydration.

BTW: What is your recipe for gluc pudding? I've searched through 2 pages of the DD staples thread thinking I might find one there but didn't find it.

Is there a gluc recipe thread somewhere?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh yay! I found some on the very first sticky thread. I was looking in the wrong place.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Thanks for the fore-warning. I am considering getting some gluc. Now I understand I need to sneak up on it slowly.

Yam-Yam, I love the avi!
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am sorry YamYam. I think it must not have affected me the same way, although, I have heard stories.

Here is an amazing Gluc thread with a ton of recipes...

Glucomannan Recipes
Old 07-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Thanks for the fore-warning. I am considering getting some gluc. Now I understand I need to sneak up on it slowly.

Yam-Yam, I love the avi!
Thank you, O Sweet One!! That was on the Potomac River in Washington, D.C. when DH and I were there in May. Several other JUDDers, including Pat, have been right to that spot at the Flagship restaurant.

The gluc powder tasted really yummy. I remember reading that some people thought it was gritty. Not this one I got from Netrition. It made my shake very smooth and creamy like a milk shake. Loved it when I was drinking it, but I'm going to take Dawn's advice and use less than a teaspoon next time and "sneak up on it slowly" like you said. Love the way you say things, Girl!!
Old 07-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I am sorry YamYam. I think it must not have affected me the same way, although, I have heard stories.

Here is an amazing Gluc thread with a ton of recipes...

Glucomannan Recipes

Thank you! Thank you! I probably should have typed in the whole word when I was doing a search. That was just what I was looking for! Thanks again!
Old 07-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Depending on how much volume your shake has, 1/2 tsp might work just fine. Or, maybe you could use the whole tsp, then drink half and save the other half for a few hours later? At least until your body adjusts.

I think I'm having the same issue with the CO. I'm not known for being very "productive" but have been the last two days. I'm thinking maybe you don't need to count the calories in CO because they don't stick around long enough to matter!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Depending on how much volume your shake has, 1/2 tsp might work just fine. Or, maybe you could use the whole tsp, then drink half and save the other half for a few hours later? At least until your body adjusts.

I think I'm having the same issue with the CO. I'm not known for being very "productive" but have been the last two days. I'm thinking maybe you don't need to count the calories in CO because they don't stick around long enough to matter!
You may be right! And, come to think of it, it has been several days since I've had CO and I had a whole tablespoon in my SF hot chocolate for breakfast. That was my breakfast. Maybe the CO primed the pump so to speak and then hours later, when I drank the gluc/protein shake for lunch it was all my system could handle.

Did I read on another thread that you have been getting warm after having CO? I get burning hot within about 3 minutes of eating/drinking it. So, I absolutely know it has a thermogenic effect on my body.

My DH and I always joke that I must have an iron stomach because no food or drink ever messes me up digestion wise. He has a very sensitive tummy and cannot eat onions or hot peppers or anything that is the slightest bit spicy. That's why I was caught way off guard after having the gluc powder. It worked just like that awful stuff you have to drink the day before getting a colonoscopy!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
This woe is totally stopping me up. Maybe I should eat some of that gluc? Is anyone else having this problem since starting this woe? I know I need to drink more but still!
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
This woe is totally stopping me up. Maybe I should eat some of that gluc? Is anyone else having this problem since starting this woe? I know I need to drink more but still!
The gluc and shirataki noodles stopped me up. Guess all of these things affect people differently.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you drink lots of water before and after eating the gluc pudding, it shouldn't be an issue. It does say to hydrate well or you could have the stoppage issue.

Vanessa, it is not very hard to make and could be a great help, but just start out slow the first time, because it would not be good to end up like YamYam did today.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
For extra thickening power, how about some psyllium?
You could still use your 1/2tsp gluc but add a little psyllium, too.

Honestly, "the runs" 5 minutes after you drank it sounds like a serious reaction.
There are lots of things that affect me that way, but usually not for at least an hour, maybe even 4 or 5 hours. Except for really strong coffee.

Is it possible you were reacting to the coconut oil, and not the gluc?
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
For extra thickening power, how about some psyllium?
You could still use your 1/2tsp gluc but add a little psyllium, too.

Honestly, "the runs" 5 minutes after you drank it sounds like a serious reaction.
There are lots of things that affect me that way, but usually not for at least an hour, maybe even 4 or 5 hours. Except for really strong coffee.

Is it possible you were reacting to the coconut oil, and not the gluc?
I've been using CO for over a year. Sometimes I use it every day for a few weeks and then sort of forget about it for a while. But, it's never had that effect on me so I'm thinking it was either the gluc itself or it was the combo of taking them both within a few hours. Who knows??

I'm all better now I weighed exactly the same today as I did yesterday, and I'm happy about that.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I think that rounded teaspoon would kill me.
I only use it really sparingly, just a sprinkle in a recipe (1/4 teaspoon maybe).
But I don't like how it gets slimy after a certain quantity. Some people don't experience that.
I can also only take a portion of the angel hair shirataki, the other forms gag me too. I guess I have texture issues, although the only foods I won't eat are watermelon and baby corns and apple juice.
The glu/coconut oil combo could have just turned your insides into a waterslide. They are an interesting combo.
That is how my rice allergy acts though. I got to the point that anything with any rice in it would flush me within ten minutes, which is the total opposite of the supposed binding properties of rice.

Last edited by b_lou_who; 07-03-2012 at 08:25 AM..
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
Did you see where some people are developing the "runs" from resveratrol? Might help if you feel cloggy. I take C and probiotics and everything stays functional, but after fast days there just isn't anything to move along, if you know what I mean..
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
I think that rounded teaspoon would kill me.
I only use it really sparingly, just a sprinkle in a recipe (1/4 teaspoon maybe).
But I don't like how it gets slimy after a certain quantity. Some people don't experience that.
I can also only take a portion of the angel hair shirataki, the other forms gag me too. I guess I have texture issues, although the only foods I won't eat are watermelon and baby corns and apple juice.
The glu/coconut oil combo could have just turned your insides into a waterslide. They are an interesting combo.
That is how my rice allergy acts though. I got to the point that anything with any rice in it would flush me within ten minutes, which is the total opposite of the supposed binding properties of rice.
waterslide. LOL!

I've always known that CO is supposed to be great for keeping intestines clean as a whistle and keeping everything, skin, hair, organs...moist, lubricated, running well. So, I'm inclined to agree with you about the waterslide effect from the combo! I'll be more careful next time.

Have I told you all lately that I you? You are all so great with giving in put and ideas and sharing your own experience.

P.J.: I do have psyllium and it's never been a problem. Good idea you had to just use a little of each. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: 30 day whole food challenge
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Hi,

Be sure to let the protein shake sit for a while after you put the glucomannan in. You can put it in the refrigerator for a while (maybe half an hour or an hour) and it will continue to thicken. 1 tsp of powder with that much liquid would probably thicken into a pudding-like consistency, given a couple hours, so if you want a shake, you might try less.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
Hi,

Be sure to let the protein shake sit for a while after you put the glucomannan in. You can put it in the refrigerator for a while (maybe half an hour or an hour) and it will continue to thicken. 1 tsp of powder with that much liquid would probably thicken into a pudding-like consistency, given a couple hours, so if you want a shake, you might try less.
I did not know that. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I would be highly suspicious it was the CO alone that caused your reaction, particularly since you mentioned you sometimes forget to take it for awhile and then start back. CO has this effect on me if I don't build up to my dosage slowly, like 1 tsp. increase a week and no faster. I have gotten as high as 3T. per day without the laxative effect, which usually hits me 2-4 hours after taking it.

But what I HAVE found is any cessation for more than a day or two and I have to restart the slow build-up to my dosage all over again. It's like your body forgets you have built up that tolerance and it's your very first time taking it after a cessation. At least that has been my experience with CO.

I have had NO problems whatsoever with gluc powder. I use 1 tsp. per cup of liquid for puddings; I use 1/2 tsp. in my shakes. I tried to up it to 3/4 tsp. last night in a raspberry shake and that one was a little too thick for my liking, so I'll stick to 1/2 tsp from now on.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote