Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mitsa
Stats: start 118/ goal 100
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 05/26/12
Thinking of raising dd and lowering ud?

Not sure why but I have struggled With the dd cals of 300. I'm starving, light headed and feel like I havent had enough sleep and headaches. I had a couple of functions on both last dd and thinking I'm having withdrawals from that kind of high carb food and Indian food ? I'm thinking of raising dd to 400 and dropping ud to 1390 instead of 1490. Any ideas?
Mitsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Mitsa, what about raising your DD and leaving your UD as is? That way you keep the spread large. That seems to have worked for legions of people before us. Whaddayathink?
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
You exercise quite a bit, don't you?

I encourage you to raise DD calories and leave UD alone. Each body has some metabolic point at which DD's generate SIRs. Just a bit below, and your body falls into stress. It sounds like that is happening to you. For some bodies, exercise does play into DD levels big time.

Ultimately, you may need to adjust UD calories. But, take it one step at a time. Your first goal, I think, is to get the sirtuin juices flowing. And that means focus on DDs first.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Mitsa, what about raising your DD and leaving your UD as is? That way you keep the spread large. That seems to have worked for legions of people before us. Whaddayathink?
I fest that may slow weightloss. It's already only about .400g a week and I have had no loss for 2 weeks now.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I agree with the others. It may be slow because you're needing more, not less. Could you try it for a week just increasing DD and leaving UD alone?
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
You exercise quite a bit, don't you?

I encourage you to raise DD calories and leave UD alone. Each body has some metabolic point at which DD's generate SIRs. Just a bit below, and your body falls into stress. It sounds like that is happening to you. For some bodies, exercise does play into DD levels big time.

Ultimately, you may need to adjust UD calories. But, take it one step at a time. Your first goal, I think, is to get the sirtuin juices flowing. And that means focus on DDs first.
I haven't exercised for 2 weeks now. I really don't know what numbers to do anymore. The last 3 dd have been full of distractions to my numbers.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Mitsa, the distractions are a drag, aren't they? It's so much nicer to feel certain. I still agree with the others. Saying that I don't want to raise DDs 'cause I'm already losing slowly is totally understandable but it's old diet talk, right? This is less about hauling back on total calories and starving and more about creating a spread that is sustainable for you and works long term to do the sirt thing
Do what makes you feel best. But man, those wise women are called wise women for a reason - - and you've heard from Dawn and Nancy, two of the best.
All the best.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Mitsa, the distractions are a drag, aren't they? It's so much nicer to feel certain. I still agree with the others. Saying that I don't want to raise DDs 'cause I'm already losing slowly is totally understandable but it's old diet talk, right? This is less about hauling back on total calories and starving and more about creating a spread that is sustainable for you and works long term to do the sirt thing
Do what makes you feel best. But man, those wise women are called wise women for a reason - - and you've heard from Dawn and Nancy, two of the best.
All the best.
I wil do it for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Thanks for the advice all.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Eating more to lose is SO counter-intuitive, and quite scary to jump in and try. I am one that needs more like this though. Every single time my UD numbers drop below 1500 for a couple of UD's, I start gaining, and not just scale weight, but on the tape measure as well. I've seen it happen with 500 cal dd's, and 800 cal dd's. Get it back over 1500, and the scale and tape measure settle back where they belong.

That amount may be too much for you (you are smaller than I am), but the principle works.

I agree with bumping those dd's a little, and holding there to see what happens.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Mitsa, I do understand this frustration because it has happened for me as well. I agree with the others about keeping your UD and only change your DD. It may be best to do 100 cal extra and then go from there. It is very frustating to be faithful to our numbers and have stalls, especially when doing 20%. My weight loss has slowed down and I imagine will remain slow but steady to goal.

I do weights 3x per week, but the rest of my exercise is aerobic with recently adding in Callanetics. I do exercise on DD and try to keep it light 20 minutes or less.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/152/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
Mitsa I know its scary but I look at it this way, if you add 300 calories and 1490 together and divide by 2 you are getting 895 calories a day, that just really doesn't seem like enough even for someone as small as you. Even if you go up to 400 on DD's and stay at 1490 for UD's you'll still only be eating around 945 calories average. I'm sure someone else here can comment but that's pretty close to starvation levels and might slow your weight loss.
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Mitsa, I do understand this frustration because it has happened for me as well. I agree with the others about keeping your UD and only change your DD. It may be best to do 100 cal extra and then go from there. It is very frustating to be faithful to our numbers and have stalls, especially when doing 20%. My weight loss has slowed down and I imagine will remain slow but steady to goal.

I do weights 3x per week, but the rest of my exercise is aerobic with recently adding in Callanetics. I do exercise on DD and try to keep it light 20 minutes or less.
Hey there girl,, Ii was considering the Callanetics.. i need to find it on line to order it, but how is it>? have you noticed any toning? ..
MISTA.. I would raise the dd number so you feel better, if your light headed you should listen to your body.. and as for slow loss or no loss.. it took me a month and a half to lose 2 pounds!!! I wanted to give up!! BUT.. i kept at it, and i also listened to my body and lowerd my UD to what ever caloires got me to full and i actaully stopped counting on UDs and my loss for last month was 9 pounds.. Its almost like its what it took to get my ball rolling agin, was time,, and.. listening to what "my" body needed.. SO .. I only wanted to share my experience as to what it took to get my body back in the loss mode again.. Best of luck dear!~
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I know you are small and so am I- barely 5'2", but is it possible that your body does not want to go down to 100lbs? I don't know how much you have lost already, but maybe getting to 100lb is not what your body wants. I have set my goal at 112lb, but the fact is I may not be able to get to that weight and maintain it even though I have been able to in the past (8 yrs ago).
I think the feed back you have received about just increasing DD calories and leaving UD calories the same is good advice. I know I struggle with eating up to my UD calories and get concerned that those UD calories won't promote weight loss, but the spread is important in JUDDD. Please keep us posted!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Hey there girl,, Ii was considering the Callanetics.. i need to find it on line to order it, but how is it>? have you noticed any toning? ..
MISTA.. I would raise the dd number so you feel better, if your light headed you should listen to your body.. and as for slow loss or no loss.. it took me a month and a half to lose 2 pounds!!! I wanted to give up!! BUT.. i kept at it, and i also listened to my body and lowerd my UD to what ever caloires got me to full and i actaully stopped counting on UDs and my loss for last month was 9 pounds.. Its almost like its what it took to get my ball rolling agin, was time,, and.. listening to what "my" body needed.. SO .. I only wanted to share my experience as to what it took to get my body back in the loss mode again.. Best of luck dear!~
Kimberly, I have been meaning to tell you that I loved the other pic you had of you with DH! You are looking awesome girl!

Okay, Callanetics is my "miracle worker" for flab and toning my arms and rear. IMO, this is the fasting working of any floor exercises I have ever done. I love pilates also, but this is much gentler and is a very smooth, yet small motion which pinpoint muscles that you didn't know existed! It will strengthen your core and mold you from the inside. I used to do this workout when they first came out in the 80s and I remained a perfect sz 4 even when I did not have time to work out and could only get it in about 2x per week. It is so effective that once you get to the size you want, you literally don't have to do it as often!!! I am sending you the link on pm to try it out and if you like it, you can order for very cheap off the website that starts with A.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Kimberly, I have been meaning to tell you that I loved the other pic you had of you with DH! You are looking awesome girl!

Okay, Callanetics is my "miracle worker" for flab and toning my arms and rear. IMO, this is the fasting working of any floor exercises I have ever done. I love pilates also, but this is much gentler and is a very smooth, yet small motion which pinpoint muscles that you didn't know existed! It will strengthen your core and mold you from the inside. I used to do this workout when they first came out in the 80s and I remained a perfect sz 4 even when I did not have time to work out and could only get it in about 2x per week. It is so effective that once you get to the size you want, you literally don't have to do it as often!!! I am sending you the link on pm to try it out and if you like it, you can order for very cheap off the website that starts with A.
Thanks sweetheart!~~
Old 07-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #16

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I am going start Callanetics next week too. Promise.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I am going start Callanetics next week too. Promise.
Oh thats soo exciting,, have you checked out the links? or did you get the DVD? It looks so simple i know this is what i am looking for~
Old 07-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Oh thats soo exciting,, have you checked out the links? or did you get the DVD? It looks so simple i know this is what i am looking for~
It is a safe way to sculpt your body, easy on the joints and knees! Sandra Hannah who is a LCF poster who posts on our Exercise Forum will answer any questions that you may have and has some great youtube videos on the facebook page linked below.

Callanetics Challenge - June 2012

Callanetics With Sandra Hanna - Videos | Facebook
Old 07-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks dear,, how long have you been doing these? Hey Sunday, look me up , i am on FAcebook too..

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 07-02-2012 at 01:59 PM..
Old 07-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
I know this is contrary to the other posters but I think you should increase UD calories and leave your DD calories as they are. I remember reading in the book that it is the adherence to DD numbers that are even more important than UD. Don't get me wrong one must adhere to both to lose. However, if you do it this way you will be much better fueled for you DD and therefore should feel better and make it through DD easier. I think it is important to keep DD low when you are as small as we are Colette. This is JMHO but it worked for me. It was lowering my DD that brought me to goal. And if you find you also have to add to UD that will most likely still give you weight loss.
Vanessa
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
I meant add a little more to UD lol
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

I'm not even sure what's going on with dd. the first 2-3 weeks of dd, I was fine and got through on 300 cals. No feeling sick. What's happened? Could it be because I'm about 7 days from having Tom?
Old 07-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I don't know Mitsa but I just went through a period of feeling no energy, light headed, just dragging myself through DD's and a few UD's as well. This weekend the tide turned and I am back to plenty of energy and I am doing fasting DD's again.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
I know this is contrary to the other posters but I think you should increase UD calories and leave your DD calories as they are. I remember reading in the book that it is the adherence to DD numbers that are even more important than UD. Don't get me wrong one must adhere to both to lose. However, if you do it this way you will be much better fueled for you DD and therefore should feel better and make it through DD easier. I think it is important to keep DD low when you are as small as we are Colette. This is JMHO but it worked for me. It was lowering my DD that brought me to goal. And if you find you also have to add to UD that will most likely still give you weight loss.
Vanessa
I actually remember the Dr saying that too.
I remember when I was doing BFFM with Tom Venuto and I was training for competition I was on 1200 cals a day. People used to write on his forum that I shouldn't be eating so low, btw, he set that number for ne based on goals of competing, I'm on starvation levels etc. he always replied that because I was so little i didn't need so many calories above that although I did eat at 1500 every 4th day.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Beeb wrote an excellent thread about shaking things up. Either your body is telling you to briefly do something like that OR your body is getting ready for a big drop on the scale.

I have had one or two DDs like you described with the light headed, starving, dragging feeling. The first time I stuck it out. But the next time it happened I just filled up on lots of protein and even some crock pot oatmeal.

The scale went down the day after I did that. I did not go crazy calorie wise, but I definitely ate close to the 50% mark because I felt like I really, really needed to eat that day. I have no idea if that can be caused by hormones or it's maybe a way the body is trying to find out if it can go ahead and release some more fat stores.

It might be good the next time you feel sick on a DD to just turn it into a MD or an UD and see if that shakes things up. If you have been JUDDing for quite a few weeks, there is no way that a couple of days off rotation or changing calories will deplete the sirtuin enzymes we all want to keep flowing through the system.

Just throwing my two cents worth in! I have heard some people say that after a DD where they felt that starving feeling the scale went down. Hoping that's what's going on with you. Fingers crossed for you!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:42 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah yes, it could be Tom sneaking up on you.

Since I am post-menopausal, I was very surprised I found I was having one 'starving' DD each month. Sophie laughed her virtual head off at me. These days my chart shows me when that DD is coming and I plan to eat more (in 50 cal increments) if I need to. Over time, the hormonal hunger has become less and less for me.

If you have a starving, sick-with-hunger DD eat more. It is likely your body is communicating a real physical/health need. Then next DD aim low again. Figure out your body's hormonal pattern - and what kind of foods it needs on those days.

Then, don't stress. Taking care of your body, improving and eating to health is ultimately a great way to lose weight.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:14 AM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Nancy - SOmewhere I read that us post-menopausal women will still have issues around the time we USED to have TOM. I thought that was ridiculous when I read it but maybe not so much if I go back and look at my eight charts and notes. Will it ever leave us alone???
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:40 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Apparently never, Adi, never

Do you have the same impression I do? I find hormonal hunger is calming down. It hit last Thursday and - - five Romaine leaves fixed it.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 07-03-2012 at 04:42 AM..
Old 07-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
So for Callanetics, can you learn it from the books, or is the vhs/dvd better? And which workout is the best?
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #30

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Tina, the best Callanetics dvd is the new Callanetics Evolution. The older dvds are okay, but I had knee problems doing some of her moves (I have arthritis in my left knee) and some of her moves in the older dvds can hurt you if you do them wrong. In the Evolution one they have fixed those issues and it's much better. That's my opinion.

I have the original Callanetics book, the 10 hours in 10 days dvd, and the Callanetics Evolution, so my opinion is based on that.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote