Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
OK, BUDDDs, talk to me about coconut oil

I have a lot of coconut oil from my strict LC days, but since moving to JUDDD I haven't really been using it. I like it...in fact, I used to really like it in my coffee and my egg creams. But for the calories, I haven't had it in quite some time.

Anyhoo, I've noticed several BUDDDs using it (on DD's - gasp!) but stating that they're not counting it. I know I was away from the boards for a couple of months, so I'm thinking I missed some discussion on this somewhere along the way.

So, why aren't we counting the calories in this deliciousness? Thanks, Lovely BUDDDs!

You know the laws of dieting. All gains are water weight. All losses are of fat! --SoHappy
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/152/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
I don't know the answer to this but I'm curious too. I would be a little scared not to count it on DD's but if I had some positive affirmations it didn't cause weight gain I would feel better (hint, hint )
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, this is part of what I'm looking for, too. =)
Old 07-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I use it but I count it.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
The reason some do not count the calories in extra virgin coconut oil is that Dr. Oz and other exports say research proves EVCO cannot be and is not stored as fat in the body.

When you consume a serving it goes quickly into the liver and then is dispersed through the blood into the brain (our brains NEED healthy fats to function). The rest is used to clean intestines, moisturize the skin and keep other organs like the liver, functioning well.

It's also thermogenic, which means it raises the metabolism and causes the body to burn calories at a higher rate.

You have to figure out what works for you. Some count half the calories. Some don't count and some count all.

If you try it on a few DDs and you are losing satisfactorily, then you will know what you should do.

When I have anywhere from one teaspoon to one tablespoon in my SF, FF hot chocolate, it seriously takes away my appetite sometimes making me able to do almost a 100% fast on DDs. It's really worth it to me although I choose to count the calories.

I also get really warm and very energetic after eating it so I never have it late in the day or it's hard for me to sleep. HTH.

Yam-Yam

Starting weight = 230
Current weight = 189
Goal weight = 180

Getting closer!

I'm down 41 pounds!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
There's a lot of discussion about it in the Silica Supplementation thread PJ started.

I've decided to "try it and see" this month. Today is day one. I was planning on doing 3T on UDs and 2T on DDs and see what happens if I don't count it. I only got 2T in today (UD) and it's late enough where I don't want to take another. I already have insomnia, and don't need anything close to bedtime which can make it worse.

I will say, I have hypothyroidism which is not completely under control, and I am ALWAYS cold. After my 2nd T CO today, Keira and I went to the mall (for dreaded bathing suit shopping--there was success!!), and I was hot! Not just comfortable, but HOT! I think if I hadn't been getting in and out of swimsuits in a small fitting room, I would have been comfortable, which is still amazing. I'm convinced it was the CO, which makes me believe in it's thermogenic properties.

All that being said, I plan to give it a full month. However, if I start gaining, I am going to drop it like a hot potato, or use it and count the calories, depending on what benefits I see.

HTH.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the info, Yam. I knew there was some science behind it and someone would know about this.

Anyone else not counting their CO and having good results...especially on DDs?
Old 07-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for your thoughts, Dawn. Yes, please let us know how it's working out. =)
Old 07-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I started using it Monday, and not counting it. I've been getting approx 2 T on DD's, 3T on UD's. I put 1 T in my morning smoothie, and then the rest comes in the form of co crack. On an UD I add almond butter to it (which I do count), on a dd, it's just co, cocoa and liquid stevia.

I started the week up 4 pounds from my maint weight of 125 (due to an out of town weekend that involved lots of food and 3 UD's in a row). I ended the week at 124 (so down the 4 plus an extra one). I've been trying to get under 125 for a few weeks now, and not having any luck, even with 500 cal dd's. 2 of my DD's I was able to keep right around 400 cals, and I've never been able to do that before.

So for me, not counting it appears to be working just fine. I'll keep doing so unless something changes.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
I use 1T every DD just eaten off the spoon in the morning, and about 2T worth in the coconut butter cocoa almond fudge that I make on UDs, and although I count it on UDs just because it's mixed within a recipe, I never count it on DDs. It hasn't had any negative effects at all on my weight loss, and there are so many benefits.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 156/156/130 - 5'4", Age: 53
WOE: JUDDD 1900/800 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD restart June 2014
I picked up some coconut oil from Whole Foods, and it says it is Virgin CO. Not Extra Virgin. Is this still okay for consumption? I mainly got it for my face and breakouts I have been having, and after researching a bit, for the back of my scalp which has developed awful dryness and itching--and NOTHING is touching it. Don't want to spend the $$$ on a dermatologist if the CO will fix it.

So the benefits of CO are...
- It keeps you warm.
- It keeps you full on your DD.

I am soooo needing both of these. I was afraid of all the calories when I saw so many posting that they take it on their DD. Thanks for the info, anything else I should be aware of?

Lost 3 pounds from Jan 1 2012 til April 30 2012 by "eating healthy", LC, etc...
Lost 12 pounds from May 1 2012 til September 1 2012 with JUDDD

Down and Up 10-15# every year since 2000 with VLC, semi LC and Carb Cycling
Anticipating forever success with JUDDD!!
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #12

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie22boys View Post
Thanks for your thoughts, Dawn. Yes, please let us know how it's working out. =)
I stopped the CO. I didn't lose a thing for the week I tried it, and that's not like me, so I think I'm one who has to count the calories in it.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusrose63 View Post
I picked up some coconut oil from Whole Foods, and it says it is Virgin CO. Not Extra Virgin. Is this still okay for consumption? I mainly got it for my face and breakouts I have been having, and after researching a bit, for the back of my scalp which has developed awful dryness and itching--and NOTHING is touching it. Don't want to spend the $$$ on a dermatologist if the CO will fix it.

So the benefits of CO are...
- It keeps you warm.
- It keeps you full on your DD.

I am soooo needing both of these. I was afraid of all the calories when I saw so many posting that they take it on their DD. Thanks for the info, anything else I should be aware of?
Hi Barb From what I've learned, "extra virgin" is a designation for olive oil only. Virgin coconut oil would rank the same as extra-virgin olive oil when talking about the best quality of each oil. So just like extra-virgin is the label of the best quality olive oil, "virgin" coconut oil is the best coconut oil.

Editing: I just checked the labels of two different brands of CO that I have and they both say "extra virgin"...hmmm. Apparently I am wrong about the ev designation only being for olive oil, unless this is a marketing thing where people have come to expect high quality oil like olive oil to be "extra" virgin so the coconut companies went with that too? Or else there is another process for coconut oil which does make it "extra" virgin. I guess I need to do more reading. Anyway, though I am wrong on the "extra" thing, I think you can rest assured your virgin oil is good quality too. And there are also "organic" oils and so that adds that extra something to look for on the label too, lol.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 07-11-2012 at 09:35 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Yesterday was an UD for me and I decided to try out the coconut sugar and use EVCO in my famous oatmeal cookie recipe.

OMGosh! They are good! they taste way better than when I make them with regular sugar/brown sugar and butter!

The ones I make with butter are about 80 calories each so that's what I counted for these coconut ones.

I had looked up articles on both the CO sugar and the oil and from reliable sources (I always ignore articles by the CO industry and go more for medical or reliable health sites and experts) that both are low on the Glycemic Index. 35 to be exact.

That's good for my DH who has type II diabetes.

IMO if you are going to eat the CO, then extra-virgin, cold pressed is the best from what I have read.

As far as putting it in on your skin, I think any CO would be good.

Dawn: I always count the calories in it when I put it in a hot drink or cook with it.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 156/156/130 - 5'4", Age: 53
WOE: JUDDD 1900/800 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD restart June 2014
Thanks girls for all the quick answers so far...

Since CO is solid at room temp, how do most of you consume CO?? And what is this CO Crack I have heard tell of?
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I started using some VCO without counting it some months back, and never had any weight gain from it. It may have even helped things a little, but it definitely didn't hurt. I'm not one who feels heat or energy or appetite suppression from it though (that I know of, maybe I should pay more attention). I wasn't using lots of it, maybe 1 T. for cooking a big stir-fry and adding a spoon to something.... like drizzling some on veggies or use in a recipe or whatever.

It was nice to be able to use an oil without counting the calories. But I also do not count calories on many things, including vegetables (unless it's a starch) and I also don't count calories on most fruits unless I eat "a lot". Doing this enabled me to eat so many more veggies than I normally would have since I didn't have to worry about calories. Between not counting veg and fruit and not counting vco, it made DD a breeze. I could get very full and I know I was getting better nutrition when I didn't hold back from eating lots of veggies due to a calorie count. Again this did not cause me any weight gain or hurt at all, but I'm sure it's a ymmv thing.

Over the last couple months, I got away from using vco and started using more evoo than anything. With evoo, I do count the calories. But I recently decided to cut way back on the amount of fat I was eating, so now I get 1 or 2 T. evoo per day, and maybe 1 t. vco.

Well this is rambling now, but I wanted to chime in as another who had good results from not counting vco.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 07-11-2012 at 09:27 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Andrea, I'm experimenting this month with eating the crack (cannot imagine eating it straight) without counting. So far it has no effect on numbers that I can see, and it feels good, particularly on DDs. I'll say more after a full month.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Not directly related to actually eating the CO, although I still eat my 1T every DD without counting it and about 2T on UDs in my coconut butter cocoa almond fudge that I do count, and it's still working out nicely. I'm considering not counting the EVCO that goes into my fudge on UDs though, since some have mentioned taking up to 3T and not counting.

But I just returned from the dentist, who was once again amazed at the lack of plaque accumulation. Keeps asking me if I bought a fancy electric toothbrush or are flossing much more, etc. Nope, just oil pulling. Ever since I started oil pulling with EVCO, it's been a breeze every dental visit. I used to have much more plaque buildup before I started oil pulling, and the only thing that changed was the oil pulling, so it had to be that.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
I did some research yesterday and now I am wondering if part of the reason it seems to be helping me (with weight loss and keeping warm) is that I am hypothyroid and CO is supposed to really help with that. It could be that it is just helping my thyroid do its job. Four weigh-ins this week and all have been below 120 when before I was lucky to keep it below 123. I'm quite happy with the results so far....time will tell if it's just a fluke or there's really something to it.

I am not counting the calories. But whenever I was in wlm I would count half.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #20

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Hi Barb From what I've learned, "extra virgin" is a designation for olive oil only. Virgin coconut oil would rank the same as extra-virgin olive oil when talking about the best quality of each oil. So just like extra-virgin is the label of the best quality olive oil, "virgin" coconut oil is the best coconut oil.

Editing: I just checked the labels of two different brands of CO that I have and they both say "extra virgin"...hmmm. Apparently I am wrong about the ev designation only being for olive oil, unless this is a marketing thing where people have come to expect high quality oil like olive oil to be "extra" virgin so the coconut companies went with that too? Or else there is another process for coconut oil which does make it "extra" virgin. I guess I need to do more reading. Anyway, though I am wrong on the "extra" thing, I think you can rest assured your virgin oil is good quality too. And there are also "organic" oils and so that adds that extra something to look for on the label too, lol.
No, the extra virgin means nothing but a company being able to charge extra money for a product. If you buy virgin you are still getting the best!! If you read the FAQs at Tropical Traditions, then you can find out the terms they use in labeling coconut oil as such. If you click on the coconut oil tab a sidebar pops up with the FAQ section on the bottom. Even the expeller pressed, which is the most processed coconut oil is still way better than the other oils out there!!!!! I love coconut oil and all things coconut
Old 07-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #21

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I stopped the CO. I didn't lose a thing for the week I tried it, and that's not like me, so I think I'm one who has to count the calories in it.
Sorry to hear that. I am sorry your experiment didn't last all month. But at least you now know.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
Vilanteira.....do you oil pull every day? If not, how often? I really want to give it a try.

One thing I have noticed since I started JUDDD is that my teeth rarely hurt. Before, I had a couple that would hurt off and on (root canal in one) and sometimes food or hot & cold would bother them. But now that rarely happens.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Ohhh, I love the pulling, too! Every day for me. Kinda disgusting the first time, but strangely satisfying after a while.
(Cocoa crack recipe is on the last page of the maintenance thread right now. There are also many recipes for it somewhere here. Google cocoa crack JUDDD to find it.)
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyL View Post
Vilanteira.....do you oil pull every day? If not, how often? I really want to give it a try.

One thing I have noticed since I started JUDDD is that my teeth rarely hurt. Before, I had a couple that would hurt off and on (root canal in one) and sometimes food or hot & cold would bother them. But now that rarely happens.
I oil pull every morning for 15-20 min before brushing my teeth or having anything to eat or drink besides water. I like to check my emails and check weather and news online etc. when I do it. It does feel weird at first but you get used to it, and now I love it. My entire mouth and teeth feel so clean afterwards, even before I brush my teeth! I rinse with water afterwards and then brush my teeth. I've also noticed less teeth sensitivity and the best benefit I've noticed is the clearing of sinus congestion.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #25

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Dr. Oz and other exports say research proves EVCO cannot be and is not stored as fat in the body.
That is only Half correct...

Coconut oil is composed of approximately 66% medium and short-chain triglycerides. the remaining 34% is long-chain triglycerides.

Short and Medium-Chain Triglycerides are the fats that cannot be and are not stored as body fat, that are delivered directly to the liver and sent along as fuel.

The remaining Long-Chain Triglycerides still need bile to be broken down and carried along to process and absorbed in the small intestine and can be stored as body fat.

If you wanted to do the math that way, then you would count only 34% of the amount you ingest as calorific. But Coconut oil, virgin or otherwise should not be considered calorie free.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Good info you guys. I'm glad to know about the virgin vs. extra virgin 'cos I didn't know that and, Metga, thanks for the info about how much can't and can be stored as fat. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/115.5/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
I so want to do the oil pulling but I understand it should be done in the morning before eating I can do it in the morning, but, but! I can do it after everyone is in and out of the house, (bathrrom ) Can i do this say in the afternoon?

One more comment about CO - anyone use it on their face and see less signs of aging
leonak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #28

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I'd love to say that my youthful appearance is because of coconut oil, but I have Mom to blame for most of it. But i do believe is stopped having so many black heads and other damaging skin problems on my face after I used coconut oil for a while. My skin feels smoother in general when I keep it up. and some but not all the rough spots on the back of my arm are clearing up. My knees and elbows don't seem so rough. I'm a believer!

Oh and I oil pull whenever I feel the motivation. in the morning, in the afternoon or evening. If my gums get irritated, I'll Oil pull to sooth them. If I feel like I'm getting filmy teeth( eating the wrong things), I'll clean with salt/soda/CO combo and then pull to sooth my gums.
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 170.4/170.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: July 16, 2014
I'm using it for my autistic son and it seems to be helping with him talking more. I just started using it on myself today (1T so far, one more T at around 5:00), I tend to start then worry about the calories and stop, this time I'll give it 2 weeks, not count calories and see what happens.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nickicaps
WOE: Raw Vegan
I use CO every single day and I love it. I use it externally and internally. I buy a coconut butter to add to my evening smoothie. Sometimes just eating a spoonful with a sprinkle of cinnamon kills any sweet cravings I have and also curbs my appetite. I don't "cook" as I am a mostly raw foodist but it has a high smoke point and is way safer than EVOO.

Externally, I keep a bottle in my bathroom and use it to deep condition my hair, shave, and sometimes moisturize in the winter. It's just great stuff!