Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 170.4/170.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: July 16, 2014
Oh GOD!!!! I took my first does of coconut oil today (1T) and I soooo regret not starting out with 1 TEASPOON! I had horrible horrible cramps then many trips to the bathroom!! On the plus side I probably lost a pound or two....

UGH!!!!! For those of you just starting out, take it slow, I never had an issue before when I started with 1 teaspoon.

Lesson learned.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Better With Age
Stats: 169/158.9/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 21, 2012
What is oil pulling?
Better With Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Hello Better With Age!

Okay, going back about 5 years, but we have some awesome threads going here...

My first try at oil pulling

and here...

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/be...lling-try.html

FB group here...

Oilpulling Method | Facebook
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: buttah
Stats: 189/137/136-140
WOE: peri-meno "corrective" R4
Start Date: LowCal/Dukan/JUDD 2/12-8/12, then 3 rounds rxHCG
I need to know a bit more about coconut oil, because I keep seeing it mentioned here, and although I've been moisturizing with it for a long time, I never used it in the kitchen.

Why do people seem to use it on LC diets like Atkins? What are the best uses for it? Can you cook anything in it, or are some things better with olive oil or other oils? Is it a healthy fat?

And finally, can someone please tell me what COCOA CRACK is? Everyone talks about it (it seems to be made with CO) but I don't get it. Is it just some kind of candy that you make that's carb free and that's why it's so popular here?

Oh, and can someone please explain to me the idea of putting coconut oil in coffee? Because... um, it's oil... in coffee. Is it instead of cream? Is it just because this stuff is so good for you, you gotta find a way to ingest it?

I've read some great stuff here, but I'm even more of a CO beginner than the OP! Please start from scratch.

Last edited by buttah; 07-31-2012 at 08:23 PM..
buttah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
I'm not so convinced about using coconut oil for sautéing food. It doesn't brown meats and veg - which is often why you use it -for those browning flavours. Things don't crisp up either. So for cooking I use olive oil.

I do use it in black coffee on DDs but only get a couple of teaspoons that way. I'm starting to experiment with making chocolate truffles with cocoa and CO and Stevia. So far so yummy. I wasn't so convinced by the CO crack myself. Too salty for me.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:20 AM   #36
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttah View Post
I need to know a bit more about coconut oil, because I keep seeing it mentioned here, and although I've been moisturizing with it for a long time, I never used it in the kitchen.

Why do people seem to use it on LC diets like Atkins? What are the best uses for it? Can you cook anything in it, or are some things better with olive oil or other oils? Is it a healthy fat?

And finally, can someone please tell me what COCOA CRACK is? Everyone talks about it (it seems to be made with CO) but I don't get it. Is it just some kind of candy that you make that's carb free and that's why it's so popular here?

Oh, and can someone please explain to me the idea of putting coconut oil in coffee? Because... um, it's oil... in coffee. Is it instead of cream? Is it just because this stuff is so good for you, you gotta find a way to ingest it?

I've read some great stuff here, but I'm even more of a CO beginner than the OP! Please start from scratch.
Do you know about Atkins? That diet is a low carb diet. When he explained it, if you cut the carbs you have to up your other foods--either protein or fats. People love to have fat. Coconut oil is a great fat to add to your diet--or actually replace those vegetable oils with coconut oil. I don't use any canola oil or other oil but olive and coconut oil. No vegetable oils in my house!! I use coconut oil to fry in, but use the non tasting kind. Don't want my morning eggs to taste like coconuts!! I use that in my baking too. Coconut oil is just healthy to use!!

Cocoa crack is a way for people to get this oil in them. I don't like it, so I just take my coconut oil by the spoon. The cocoa crack is just oily to me and bitter. Don't like the texture or taste of it at all. The CO in coffee--another way to get it in your body--I don't do that either!! You don't have to do those things to get coconut oil in your body. You can get it in other ways. I personally like my coconut oil in my hot tea, but would not even try it in my coffee. Don't mess with my coffee

Best advice ever----start slowly. Do not eat 1 TBL in a day. Start with teaspoons. You can have a reaction that will not be pleasant if you start off with too much at once.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: buttah
Stats: 189/137/136-140
WOE: peri-meno "corrective" R4
Start Date: LowCal/Dukan/JUDD 2/12-8/12, then 3 rounds rxHCG
Ah. And yes, of course I know Atkins. I have been eating low glycemic/low carb for ages, but hadn't heard so much about coconut oil until joining this forum.

Can't imagine putting oil in coffee, but some people seem to enjoy it.

Although after doing some more reading last night, I see that some people find CO has a negative effect on bloodwork, and believe it's more of a marketing hype. Having said that, if it helps prevent or alleviate constipation, I'm in!

I will read a bit more before I try.
buttah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I've mentioned this before, but I'm not sure if it was on this thread.

Coconut milk is both cheap* and easier to find than coconut oil.
And it has a lovely texture. Better in coffee/tea than the oil, IMO.
It's used in a lot of traditional recipes in Latin & Asian cooking.
I love to add it to curries & soups.

I spent a few years of my childhood in Central America and the Caribbean.
Loved to eat things like coconut shrimp, coconut rice, coconut pudding (tembleque).
And--just coconut!!! Snacking on it, grating it & toasting it & adding it to yogurt & granola...

I get bags of frozen, sliced coconut at my fave Indian market (Patel Brothers--national chain). Of course they have fresh coconuts, too, but the frozen is very convenient.

*I don't know if it's cheaper per serving, but you can just pick up a can or two to experiment with before committing to a jar of coconut oil.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:46 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/115.5/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
We love coconut that is sweetened, is this a no, no?

I see in one of my local stores that they have plain unsweetened coconut, they sell it in bulk, not sure of the price. Is this the kind I should use?

I have the co in a jar, it is good in my morning oatbran, not so good in my coffee, not good for frying eggs, and maybe too good for bark All of this is just me, others like it any way!

Leona
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #40
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
We love coconut that is sweetened, is this a no, no?

I see in one of my local stores that they have plain unsweetened coconut, they sell it in bulk, not sure of the price. Is this the kind I should use?

I have the co in a jar, it is good in my morning oatbran, not so good in my coffee, not good for frying eggs, and maybe too good for bark All of this is just me, others like it any way!

Leona
If you are low carb--then unsweetened coconut all the way. Otherwise, if you are a true JUDDD budd then go ahead and enjoy the regular kind. I buy the unsweetened flakes, for what it is worth.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote