Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #121
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ghostface
oh man, today I went off the deep end. it was the start of nba summer league and my team was playing at around noon, so a buddy and i went to buffalo wild wings on my up day, and i was sucked into the all you can eat wings special while enjoying a long lunch watching summer league basketball....

bad idea... lol, so my first blowout...just had to confess. onward and downward.
ghostface is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #122
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
Ghostface, you know I bet you could mitigate some of that blow out by trying to get some water in before you turn in for the night. Worth a shot!

Forge ahead and forget the flubs!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #123
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Oh Ghostface now you are a true JUDDDer, we have almost all done something like this, and lived to tell the tale.

A couple of good DDs and this will simply be a very happy memory.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Measurements suddenly whooshed! Last time I took them was a half-a-month back. I've lost at least 1/4-inch at all torso measurements plus thighs, with 1/2-inch losses at waist and abs. BUT, I've only lost a half-pound of weight. Now, I definitely do exercise very consistently, although that's not new. I'm sure that's part of it, at least, but this does seem strange!

I'm a faithful measurement-taker but I may not have been taking measurements too faithfully the last time I lost on JUDDD. Maybe something similar happened but I missed it.

So I was wondering... ... Can anyone explain the "JUDDD magic" I've seen referred to lately? Several times I've noticed posters suggesting the measurements may go down on JUDDD when the scale doesn't match?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #125
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post
Measurements suddenly whooshed! Last time I took them was a half-a-month back. I've lost at least 1/4-inch at all torso measurements plus thighs, with 1/2-inch losses at waist and abs. BUT, I've only lost a half-pound of weight. Now, I definitely do exercise very consistently, although that's not new. I'm sure that's part of it, at least, but this does seem strange!

I'm a faithful measurement-taker but I may not have been taking measurements too faithfully the last time I lost on JUDDD. Maybe something similar happened but I missed it.

So I was wondering... ... Can anyone explain the "JUDDD magic" I've seen referred to lately? Several times I've noticed posters suggesting the measurements may go down on JUDDD when the scale doesn't match?
Congratulations on the inches lost! Yippeeeee!!!!

I was one who truly experienced this when I started JUDD. I lost inches incredibly fast, clothing size went down, down but the scale was slow to catch up.

There is a lot of research now on Intermittent Fasting. One of the results is that this WOE burns fat and preserves muscle. The same weight in fat and muscle is very different in volume. Five pounds of fat looks about the size of a new born baby! Very voluminous. Takes up a lot of space in your hips, waist, wherever. Five pounds of muscle looks like a long New York strip steak. Thin, sinewy, does not take up so much space.

One of the functions of sirtuin enzymes is to stimulate fat burning hormones. So, stored fat is quickly burned and as you increase your water intake, the burned fat is excreted from fat cells, travels through the blood stream, into and through the kidneys and is literally flushed away.

Magically, another function activated by the SIRT1 gene is to prevent extra calories eaten from being stored as fat. So, as long as you are continuing those DD rotations, the SIR (Silent Information Regulators) are manipulating hormones in a healthy way, signaling your brain to burn fat and preserve even build lean muscle mass.

Since the fat is very light (fat floats, right? That's why I'll never sink in a swimming pool!) weight wise but takes up lots of space, you will see inches disappear and maybe only a slight drop on the scale.

Someone on this forum also talked about how fat cells initially fill up with water soon after the fat is burned and excreted. This is to hold their shape in case they may be re-filled with fat later. Since water is heavy, you may be losing fat and holding water temporarily.

It is, however, short lived. At some point the cells release the water and the scale drops.

You probably already know about how muscle tissue holds on to water and glycogen during post workout repair.

All these things are part of the explanation about losing inches and the scale catching up later. It will catch up! I've had periods of losing inches for a while and then all of a sudden a big drop on the scale.

Pat says it's just whenever our bodies are ready to release the fat and water. You never know. Just gotta stick with the plan and it will all work out.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #126

Yam-Yam, you explained that so clearly and simply, were you a teacher? I am going bookmark this because it would be a great read for the newbies. Thank you.

And Whitlin', I am delighted that the above has worked its magic for you!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #127

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface View Post
oh man, today I went off the deep end. it was the start of nba summer league and my team was playing at around noon, so a buddy and i went to buffalo wild wings on my up day, and i was sucked into the all you can eat wings special while enjoying a long lunch watching summer league basketball....

bad idea... lol, so my first blowout...just had to confess. onward and downward.
And now I want some Mango Habanero wings!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #128
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ghostface
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
And now I want some Mango Habanero wings!
DON'T DO IT! bottomless wings and fries for like $12 bucks! JUST STAY AWAY lol
ghostface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #129

Hah! But it's 50 cent wing night tonight!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Oooooohhhhh.... ....cool.

Well, YamYam, you definitely taught me something here. I need to go back and re-read your post a third time.

Yes, I am knowledgeable about muscle retention/release for healing during the repair cycle, and that's one reason I am pretty sure more is going on here. I also know my body, insofar as reaction to exertion, and this happened faster, with more impact, than I could recognize as "the usual". There does seem to be more than the usual fat burning, plus preservation of muscle mass.

Oh, and there you are in yet another great photo, looking as sharp as you "sound".
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
Questions. I have questions, people!!!

1. Okay .. so I have to ask. What's the difference between the Woo Hoo thread and the NSV thread?

2. Does anyone go into the Playground much? I see SoHappy and Hippiechic (or girl, can't remember now) do sometimes. It seems like everyone knows everyone in there. Like an exclusive club. I feel like I'm a Peeping Tom in there.

3. We should have a daily question thread. I'd start it but I'm a known thread killa. Anybody like doing those kinds of things? Like your favorite show. Or pet peeves.

4. Can anyone tell I'm not doing a darn thing right now?????

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #132

1. The Whoo Hoo thread primarily announces whooshes and weight loss, although there are other other Whoo Hoos too.

1. Then Beverley, who seldom uses the scales, had the genius idea of starting the Non Scale Victory thread to remind us that the scales are not the only way to judge our triumphs.

2. Speaking for myself, I have never used the Playground much, even when I did Atkins. We know each other simply because we post here most of the time.

3. I am sure you aren't a thread killer! I have enough trouble keeping up with all the Newbie threads, my other favourites, and answering individual queries.

4. LOL, got to love you Vanilla, how you feeling?

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ack-juddd.html
Old 07-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Questions. I have questions, people!!!

1. Okay .. so I have to ask. What's the difference between the Woo Hoo thread and the NSV thread?

2. Does anyone go into the Playground much? I see SoHappy and Hippiechic (or girl, can't remember now) do sometimes. It seems like everyone knows everyone in there. Like an exclusive club. I feel like I'm a Peeping Tom in there.

3. We should have a daily question thread. I'd start it but I'm a known thread killa. Anybody like doing those kinds of things? Like your favorite show. Or pet peeves.

4. Can anyone tell I'm not doing a darn thing right now?????
I feel that way about the playground too. I go in there sometimes, but I know and like my JB's better.

I would post in a thread you start . . . if I feel have anything worthwhile to contribute. Please, post away!
Old 07-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #134
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Yam-Yam, you explained that so clearly and simply, were you a teacher? I am going bookmark this because it would be a great read for the newbies. Thank you.

!
Uh, no. Just an information junkie.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #135
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post
Oooooohhhhh.... ....cool.

Well, YamYam, you definitely taught me something here. I need to go back and re-read your post a third time.

Yes, I am knowledgeable about muscle retention/release for healing during the repair cycle, and that's one reason I am pretty sure more is going on here. I also know my body, insofar as reaction to exertion, and this happened faster, with more impact, than I could recognize as "the usual". There does seem to be more than the usual fat burning, plus preservation of muscle mass.

Oh, and there you are in yet another great photo, looking as sharp as you "sound".
Yes! Right?????
Old 07-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
1. The Whoo Hoo thread primarily announces whooshes and weight loss, although there are other other Whoo Hoos too.

1. Then Beverley, who seldom uses the scales, had the genius idea of starting the Non Scale Victory thread to remind us that the scales are not the only way to judge our triumphs.

2. Speaking for myself, I have never used the Playground much, even when I did Atkins. We know each other simply because we post here most of the time.

3. I am sure you aren't a thread killer! I have enough trouble keeping up with all the Newbie threads, my other favourites, and answering individual queries.

4. LOL, got to love you Vanilla, how you feeling?
Thanks for answering my rambling thoughts, Kissa !! I go in and clean out my subscription threads every now and then. Those that are old, don't get traffic anymore and the ones I've killed. I'm feeling pretty good. Can't believe I was in surgery 3 weeks ago as I type! I get tired easily - even just sitting at a desk all day - so I'm still resting lots. As for my weight loss - I'm feeling right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I would post in a thread you start . . . if I feel have anything worthwhile to contribute. Please, post away!
Hmmm .. maybe.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #137
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie

Boy it's been a crappy couple of weeks!
My dog is doing great (thanks all). I'm having trouble getting her to eat on schedule for her insulin in the morning, but she will eat hot dogs and liverwurst(lol), and those seem to stimulate her appetite. She goes for a blood sugar test tomorrow, I'm going to talk to the vet about giving her something (NOT processed meats!) to get her to eat until she gets her schedule worked out. Oh she also has a lot of bacteria in her urine so she's taking a big antibiotic pill 1x a day and I think that makes her nausious.

The day after we got her home, my mother went into the hospital. They thought she had a minor heart attack, but now they're saying it's an irregular heartbeat. They've been trying to get her medication for that stable but it makes her very tired and weak. 3 days ago she had a "spell" where she was weak, nausious and felt like she was going to faint, so they kept her in ICU another day.
This morning she had another like that and started throwing up, so we're not sure yet what it might be. They're not checking her blood sugar when that happens (she's not diabetic but she IS pre-diabetic), so I told her to have them check.
Her ICU nurse mentioned a possible vagus nerve issue, so I think they're going to check into that as well.

Me: off plan! I've gained 5lbs but the stress has caused my asthma to flair up (I usually have maybe 1-2 minor attacks a year, allergy related most times) and I've been using my ventolin which always makes me retain water for some reason. I haven't been eating. Maybe 400-700 cals a day for the past couple of weeks, so I'm going to try and get myself back on track!

Sorry for the long post, wanted to catch up lol.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #138
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
So sorry that you are experiencing so much stress Dottie. Stress certainly affects weightloss in the wrong way. Glad doogie will eat something though. I cook my little doggie eggs for breakfast everyday so I know how special a dog can be.
Not to take away from Mom's being super special since I mentioned the pet first. Hope they find out what your Mom's problem is and get her fixed right up.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #139
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: microbio72
Rough second DD

OK, so I made it and stayed at 400 calories, but it was rough. I couldn't concentrate at all at work, so I feel pretty bad about that, and I was extremely tired. It sounds like the down days get better and easier. Do you guys remember when yours became better? Of course I was down on the scale today so that was great!
microbio72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

microbio72 - It took me 3-4 weeks for the DD to get easier, which I think is longer than most. I did JUDDD a few years ago when it first came out and if memory serves, it was much sooner.

Okay, so I posted a vent on the Non-Losers and Slow Losers thread about my lack of success lately in losing anything. I got suggestions and encouragement and had decided that because I'm still healing from my surgery, that I should just stay off the scale until August 1, but stick to the plan. Being the undecisive creature I am, I just posted the following. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Quote:
Me - I confess that I stepped on the metal monster today. I upped my DD calories a bit yesterday simply because I was hungry. So, I'm still debating with myself if my body needs the little bit of extra to heal or if healing is more beneficial by not having to divert calories to digesting food.

I then wondered if it might be best for me to keep daily weighing to see:

1. How my body reacts to any tweaks.
2. Might be beneficial not only for me but others (and lurkers) just to see how the body loses weight (or not!) while recovering from surgery. Maybe there's a point in the recovery process when the body finally starts releasing weight again.

I didn't kick the scale and was down a little even with having upped the calories.

No matter what I decide (and you can tell I'm very undecisive!!), I appreciate all the suggestions, advice, and encouragement from all of you!
So, you pros - should I stay on plan and not weigh again until August 1 (or after the first DD in August), or do what I posted above. I know, I'm so about it all, despite the awesome advice I get!

Feel free to kick me if I have some of you going .
Old 07-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #141

Dottie! What a lot to deal with. I'm keeping you, your sweet pup, and your mom in my thoughts.

Micro, some people have easy DDs right away, some not for a few months. Generally, from what I've read, it's around 2 weeks or so for most people. Good luck.

I have had a pretty "stable" month so far weight-wise. I didn't lose anything the first week of the month (while not counting CO), then went on a weekend trip and allowed myself 2 UDs in a row. I have been JUDDDing for over 7 months, and this is the first time I did that, and it was planned, just to see what would happen. I gained 3 pounds! After 2 DDs, I'm now almost a pound under where I was when we went away. JUDDD is forgiving!

Now for my personal issues. I'd like to ask for good thoughts and energy, or prayers if you pray, for a couple of people right now.

My good friend Rhiannon has been admitted to the hospital with pre-term contractions. She's 32 weeks, so the baby needs to cook a bit longer if at all possible. Rhiannon has severe Type I diabetes and this is a high risk pregnancy.

Also, my "second mom" Jan was admitted last weekend to the same hospital. She was found by a neighbor after she had fallen. Nobody knows how long she was down before she was found. Her husband died a few months ago, and she's been declining since. She's only 60, so way too young to be having such health problems. They think she's malnourished from not taking care of herself and she has swelling on the brain. They're pretty sure she's not going to be able to live alone once she gets out.

Both of these women are in my hometown, about an hour away. I haven't been able to see them yet, but will be taking Keira on Saturday and spending a big chunk of the day with them. Please include them in your thoughts.

Thanks everyone!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #142

Vanilla I do the same thing, going back and forth. I think you need to do whatever you can live with. I love the idea of tracking for others who may have surgery, but you can't make yourself crazy over it (I would totally drive myself bonkers!).
Old 07-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #143
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
for your people in need, Dawn.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Dawn, to your s.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Prayers for you and yours Dawn.. Also for Dottie . and as for vanilla... Wow you sound alot like me when it comes to not being able to decide lol..i would just heal.. nothing more.. just work on feeling 100%.. the weight can wait till your all better.. thats what i did when i had my hysterectomy.. and went back to work feeling like a baloon too.. so.. just care for your self on the inside.. once your healed,, you can takle the rest~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #146
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Dottie - so much going on for you, we are definitely for all things to work out for you and doggie & Mom! You'll be back on track with diet in no time, but please take care first and foremost!

Hi MicroB, if I recall it took me longer than most to really be OK with DD, but my calories were in the 500 - 700 range or thereabout. Most people do report them becoming easier within 2 - 4 weeks though. Seeing losses on the scale is a great reward and motivator especially in those early tough DD, isn't it? Congrats!

Great work on those losses, Dawn! And we will certainly have good thoughts for Rhiannon & baby and your mama Jan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Prayers for you and yours Dawn.. Also for Dottie . and as for vanilla... Wow you sound alot like me when it comes to not being able to decide lol..i would just heal.. nothing more.. just work on feeling 100%.. the weight can wait till your all better.. thats what i did when i had my hysterectomy.. and went back to work feeling like a baloon too.. so.. just care for your self on the inside.. once your healed,, you can takle the rest~

Vanilla, I totally agree to take care of yourself first of all. Healing will cause all kinds of fluid retentions and fluctuations, but it's so important to just let your body exert its wisdom and healing powers in order to take care of itself (you!) 100% Lots of healthy foods, rest, fluids, etc. will be great, however if you are going to get right back into JUDDD-mode, just be gentle with yourself physically and mentally through this healing time.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Dottie, so glad your mother just has an irregular heartbeat and didn't have a heart attack. Remember, this is the time of year for asthma flair-ups throughout the southern US, so don't beat yourself up about that. Vet will have meds to help with gaining weight but probably won't give them until the course of antibiotics is over.

Dawn, you are a good friend to keep Jan and Rhiannon on your heart and make a point to spend time with them. I hope your visits put your mind at ease somewhat.

I'm going to make a sign (maybe I'll needlepoint it! LOL) that says:

"It's the vegetables!"

Going back to my old "usual" DD with 4 to 5 servings of vegetables has broken my stall and I've lost a half-pound after each of the last two DDs. Yay!

I did make one of the servings a baked potato yesterday, which was new, and that was especially filling, low sodium and good fiber. Big ol' dollop of light sour cream made me forget it was a DD. Like "cheating".

vanilla, speaking of your #1 point, tweaks, or experiments, that is something that would drive me a little crazy if I couldn't watch the scale somewhat. For instance, in the mood I'm in now, I'd probably rave to vanilla about adding veggies to DDs, saying, "try it!". But even something little like that would involve you checking the scale to see if it made any difference, and if you are going to be ignoring the scale you might not want to try any tweaks. So, I don't know. One thing I do know - it'll be fine no matter which you do!
Old 07-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Wow, mango hot wing sound delish!!!

*HUGS* Dottie.

Microbio- I've had 4 DDs and each one has been considerably easier than the last. Hang in there and go eat something you enjoy!

Dawn- Fingers crossed for your friend. 32 weeks is very good for a high risk pregnancy! The odds are excellent if her baby is born now, even though she'll have to go to the NICU. So sorry about your 2nd mom. I hope you can visit them soon.

Whitlin- I'm going to have to try an all veggie DD! A potato sounds really good!

I had a great DD yesterday after a rather indulgent UD... I expected to be hungrier than usual after extra carbs but I was great *all day*.

Then today... my DH brought me a Starbucks light frappaccino... that for once I could have. I had planned some of my leftover fauxtato salad and (gasp!) some puffy Cheetos for lunch. I was asking my kids what they wanted for lunch as we were getting back from their homeschool PE class... and all of a sudden I felt euphoric. Like this was the best day ever. Even though we are under extra stress right now (DH needs a tooth crown, electricity is flickering...).

Kinda liked it.

Last edited by JHoberer; 07-12-2012 at 12:51 PM..
JHoberer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Dawn - I'm one who prays, so I'll be praying for Rhiannon and Jan.

Thanks to you all for your thoughts and suggestions. Glad I'm not driving y'all crazy looney!! I think how I feel depends on the time of day. Some mornings I feel bloated, so I feel .. um .. deflated. Today, I felt "thinner", which I why I weighed. Even though I have a sedentary job, about midday, I begin feeling the bloat.

to all of you in my ups and downs with figuring out what to do! Love you guys
Old 07-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

JHoberer, actually one of those veggie servings was hidden inside an omelet! So, not all veggies, but very "cleansing" and fresh eating. Oh, yes, I know how it feels to suddenly get a little giddy with the relief of eating without worry or nitpicking. Hope your husband's dental work is no big deal.

Dawn, 60 is the new 40. Your friend has so much to do, so much to discover. I hope whatever the situation is, she will bounce back soon.