Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heather
Stats: 175.8/152.6/145-150
WOE: JUDDD/Potato Hack
Start Date: Restart 6/27/14 - Loss: 23.2 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalissa View Post
Just wanted to say hello. I had recently revived an interest in doing JUDDD to shift some regain weight and had been on LCF for awhile but not active so I looked at this section and love how active and informative it is. I have the book, not sure how I will implement this as I am not thinking of going super low or super high and I need a flexible schedule, not alternating. Lol, guess that is technically not JUDDD, but anyway, we'll see.
Annalissa - I saw several of your new posts. Since you have the book, page 243 says it's okay to do MWF as DDs if you want to keep the same schedule - would that help? It's good to keep your UD DD not further apart than that if possible. You can do MD's (middle days.) Also, if you don't want to go as low as 500 on a DD, use the calculator and write out the calorie amounts at the different percentages to see how high you want to go. But often that will slow your weight loss. It's best in the beginning to keep as close as you can to the 2 week induction, but by all means do what you gotta do to stay on it and fit your lifestyle. Keep us updated on how you're doing. The July weigh in thread is good for that. I think it's fun and informative to see how others are doing there. Good luck

Window of 145-150 goal: Only 2.6 lbs. to go.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalissa View Post
I need a flexible schedule, not alternating. Lol, guess that is technically not JUDDD, but anyway, we'll see.
Hi! I do a 24-hour schedule, which we call "MUDDD" around here (Mixed Up Day Down Day). Basically I eat Up Day calories at lunch & dinner one day, then at breakfast the next; then my Down Day starts until lunch the next day.

Let me know if you want more info, & I'll up the thread.

piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annalissa
Thanks for the welcome and good ideas, Heather and Pirate Jenny. I have the book but can't find it. I had uninstalled it from my reader as I keep only a few books on the device and then re-install when I want to reread. I can't seem to find it, will get it again, though.

Pirate Jenny (love that name), the MUDDD idea is kind of how I eat anyhow. Will look at that and also at a MWF schedule as Heather suggests.

Today is a low cal day but not really JUDDDish.
Annalissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I got away from MUDDD for a couple of months, hoping to speed up my weight loss.
But then I end up eating too much on "regular" DDs.

It's so much more flexible when it comes to eating with family and friends--in my opinion.
And my blood sugar has been much more stable in the week or so I've been back on it.
If I have 2 or 3 days in a row with an afternoon/evening event, I just fast/eat very lightly all day and limit my eating to a small window around that event (kind of like Fast 5).

And thank you; Pirate Jenny is a song from The Threepenny Opera.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
Old 07-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annalissa
Thanks for additional clarification, Pirate Jenny!

I did find my book and reread the sections on changing up the days to MWF and generally personalizing the pattern and calorie amounts.

Not sure yet this is for me exactly. I already calorie cycle, not sure I actually want to go as low as he suggests but am going to experiment with different levels and patterns. Had a lot of time today to think about implementing this and it did bring today's calories down but not to 500.

However, I am an experienced dieter and in the past weighed more than 100 pounds than I do now. I really have no desire to do any inductions, so may work something out. Love a lot of the book.

Good night, all.
Annalissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #96
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
Well, I managed my first DD. I knew I could do it since I come from HCG. I went from 205.0 to 201.6! I was really, really bloated up with water retention though. My hands feel a lot less like sausage now! I expect (hope) to get down through the 190s pretty quickly since I've been up and down them since October. Recently lost and gained weight tends to come off quicker (and is gained back quicker! lol).

I had intended to eat 2 Atkins shakes, a cucumber, a few strawberries and a cheese stick yesterday. Well I forgot to get cucumbers so I had a shake and some fresh cut up summer squash and cherry tomatoes that I microwaved and sprinkled with a spice mixture called Citrus Grill. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did because I didn't use any butter- but I'll eat that again!!! By the time supper rolled around there was no way a drink was going to cut it so I had a turkey pastrami sandwich on 45 calorie bread (bread? BREAD?:!! ) with mustard and tomato and 3 strawberries, later.

I did it!

And I'm only slightly more hungry that usual this morning. Wheee!
Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! What a great whoosh you got!

I read your post on Stephanie's thread and absolutely loved it! Had to read it twice. I am practicing what you preached about going down the stairway. Down. Flat. Down. Flat. When I started JUDDing in December, I realized this is a way to maintain and not re-gain. With LC it's so darn easy to put the weight back on quickly after I lose it. With JUDD I love the rotations and the feeling DDs give me of "recovering" or "making up for my sins" after eating anything I want on an UD. And, if I go off plan for a few days, it's so easy to get back into rotations and take any slight gain right back off.

Hope you enjoyed your UD!!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #97
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SunnyGirlfriend
Stats: 389/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 20 2012
Sleepy after meals

Hi All,

I'm new here and not even sure if im posting in the right place. I'm 2 1/2 weeks into my new low carb lifestyle and i wanted chat about it. First of all, everyday after dinner i fall alseep, all this meat is making me sleepy. Second, i'm really not a fan of meat to begin with..

i weighed myself about 1 week into induction, and my weight didnt really move ( Also PMSing at the time)
I feel better when im not eating so many animal products but I'm also quite desperate to lose a bunch of weight.
I'm also finding (though im still on induction) this diet is making me quite irritable.

Any advice would be appreciated
SunnyGirlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi,
this is a thread for people doing a different diet, called JUDDD.

If you want to continue induction, and chat about how you're feeling, you might do better to post over here: Main Lowcarb Lobby - Low Carb Friends

You're welcome here, too, but we're doing a totally different plan and it's not necessarily a low-carb one!

But, to address your problem, I read recently that if you've been eating carbs, when you transition to low-carb your body has to adjust to burning fat. And turning the saturated fat in meat into energy is difficult at first. If you can, try adding some coconut oil to your diet and see if that gives you energy.
Quote:
"But when we start getting most of our energy from fat rather than from carbohydrates, our bodies are just beginning to learn how to convert fat to the energy we need. So we have to make it easier for ourselves, Ron Rosedale, M.D., told me. Dr. Rosedale is a physician and scientist who wrote The Rosedale Diet.

Dr. Rosedale says to limit the amount of saturated fat during our first few weeks on a very low-carb diet. Otherwise, we will feel our lack of energy and tire easily."

http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=1225
Also, I used to get tired after eating but I found that digestive enzymes help a lot. Take them every time you eat, and in a few days you may be feeling better!!!

Another suggestion I hear when people are feeling lousy on induction is to drink broth (like chicken broth), because you may be low in electrolytes like sodium and potassium.

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-07-2012 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: add quote/link
Old 07-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
SunnyGirlfriend, what a great avatar photo!

Annalissa, I'm so glad you found the book.

I owe a blanket apology to anyone on this forum to whom I suggested I knew A THING about constipation. Obviously you should pay no attention to me, because I've had SUCH a time of it lately. Feeling a little better now, after my day of fiber-and-water-rich veggies yesterday.

I'm thinking
1) I had upped my intake of caffeinated beverages
2) I had neglected multivitamin (magnesium) a few days
3) didn't compensate for record-breaking series of heat-wave days
4) didn't compensate for lack of moisture from food on DDs
Old 07-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberino
Stats: 235/141 50 yo
WOE: Atkins/now JUDDD
Start Date: 3 '09 Atkins-3 '12 JUDDD
Hope you get your problem fixed soon, Whitlin'. It's something I struggle with a lot and the only thing that seems to help is drinking my whole daily water budget with my first meal, which is usually lunch. Even then, I'm an every 3-4 day "goer".
kimberino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Dottie so sorry about your dog. We have had two diabetic dogs over the years and one in particular did very well on his insulin. He lived for many more years after being diagnosed and they were happy years. And back then we had to test his pee everyday to determine his dosage. We followed him around with one of those testing sticks in our hand lol. I'm sure with good care there are many happy days ahead. At the moment one of our cats has just been diagnosed as hyper thyroid. Meds twice a day and special food. It took us a few months to get him to gain 11 ounces. That after losing 8 ounces. We feed him away from the other 3 cats up to 6 times a day, whenever he asks for it.aside from the fact that we are going broke its working out pretty well lol. After much trial and error we found a grain free kitten formula that he loves. He's finally getting the extra calories he needs with every meal. Anyway good luck and don't despair, you can still have many happy years to look forward to.
Vanessa
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
The MUDDD sounds amazing but my natural "not so hungry" time is always morning so I eat as late as possible but before I'm starving. While doing HCG I learned that I am naturally hungry at 1 pm and 7 pm. Didn't really matter what I ate as long as I ate at those 2 times I was good to go. Such a neat concept though!!!

Much, MUCH less hungry on this DD than my first one.

I've tried 2 kinds of Atkins shakes now... the Daybreak Berry one tastes just like the milk after eating Crunch Berries cereal. LOL!!!

Today I ate:
Berry shake

diced summer squash and cherry tomatoes sprinkled with "Citrus Grill" seasoning, microwaved covered for 4 minutes (amazingly good at a mere 28 cal)

turkey pastrami sandwich with lettuce, pepper rings and mustard on 40 cal bread

WW zero point (50 calorie) soup

454 calories.

I can't wait to weigh tomorrow- maybe I'll be under 200 again (for like the 7th time since October ).
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! What a great whoosh you got!

I read your post on Stephanie's thread and absolutely loved it! Had to read it twice. I am practicing what you preached about going down the stairway. Down. Flat. Down. Flat. When I started JUDDing in December, I realized this is a way to maintain and not re-gain. With LC it's so darn easy to put the weight back on quickly after I lose it. With JUDD I love the rotations and the feeling DDs give me of "recovering" or "making up for my sins" after eating anything I want on an UD. And, if I go off plan for a few days, it's so easy to get back into rotations and take any slight gain right back off.

Hope you enjoyed your UD!!!
Thank you for the praise!

Yes!!!! This has got to have less weight regained on average than low calorie or low carb- a lot less! And no making the body think you are starving it!
Old 07-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Today is one of those days that would be impossible on any other diet. MIL decided spur of the moment to take us out to lunch after church, and I enjoyed the special at our little diner in town (baked chicken with stuffing and gravy, fries--I subbed out the mashed potatoes, and green beans. I shouldn't have eaten the Texas toast, but yeah, I did anyway).

Tonight is a potluck at church before VBS. I will enjoy the foods I can eat there as well. I even have 700 calories left for it.

I will probably pay for eating the wheat at lunch, but it was so good.

Yay for JUDDD!
Old 07-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #105
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Yay for JUDDD indeed. So glad you enjoyed your meal with your family, these things are what give our lives colour.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #106
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post
SunnyGirlfriend, what a great avatar photo!

Annalissa, I'm so glad you found the book.

I owe a blanket apology to anyone on this forum to whom I suggested I knew A THING about constipation. Obviously you should pay no attention to me, because I've had SUCH a time of it lately. Feeling a little better now, after my day of fiber-and-water-rich veggies yesterday.

I'm thinking
1) I had upped my intake of caffeinated beverages
2) I had neglected multivitamin (magnesium) a few days
3) didn't compensate for record-breaking series of heat-wave days
4) didn't compensate for lack of moisture from food on DDs
It's no fun!

I've always been a big advocate and taker of Vitamin C for all sorts of reasons. It's a water soluble vitamin and I don't worry about taking too much. In large doses it can have a laxative effect. What constitutes a "large dose" is highly individualized. I usually take about 5 grams a day (have for years). That's a lot of pills, though until I discovered powdered Vitamin C.

I take two doses (.5 tsp) daily. I measure it out into a water bottle and usually add tea or a Crystal Lite thing. When I'm "irregular" I'll use 1 tsp in a single bottle and have never failed to have that particular issue corrected in fairly short order. Worth a try, anyway. I also use a pinch of powdered Vitamin C as a dough conditioner and preservative in my bread baking - works very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Yay for JUDDD indeed. So glad you enjoyed your meal with your family, these things are what give our lives colour.
Quoted for truth!

Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/115/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Sheridan!

I also use a pinch of powdered Vitamin C as a dough conditioner and preservative in my bread baking - works very well.

Quoted for truth![/QUOTE]

So you also make bread for scratch?? I've been making sourdough bread this past month, do you also make this? The last time I put in 1 cup of old fashion oatmeal, it was on the dry side , but toasted it is great with lots of butter! Any suggestions for making my bread more moist?

Leona

Last edited by leonak; 07-08-2012 at 03:32 PM..
leonak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Today was an UD... I had a few treats. I developed a moderate carb yeast bread dough that I made skillet bread with to go with supper (think pita or naan) and used the other half of the dough with some nearly sugar free cinnamon filling and glaze. Definitely higher carb than normal but lots less than a normal cinnamon from a bakery would've been! And dee-licious!

I also had some ice cream. Not CarbSmart either.

Everything else I ate today was typical of a low carb day. Total net carbs was about 80. 2067 calories.

Can I get away with this and have another loss after tomorrow's DD? Will I be hungrier tomorrow? Stay tuned...
Old 07-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #109
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post

So you also make bread for scratch?? I've been making sourdough bread this past month, do you also make this? The last time I put in 1 cup of old fashion oatmeal, it was on the dry side , but toasted it is great with lots of butter! Any suggestions for making my bread more moist?

Leona
Leona! Yep, scratch baker here. Not so much in the long, hot summer months of Texas, though. When it's cooler, I bake bread quite often.

I don't make sourdough much anymore because my DH will literally have the thing eaten in a single day!

Try adding a scant teaspoon of pectin granules (like what is used to make jelly and jam) or the same amount of unflavored gelatin (like Knox). Either will help with moistness issues.

Now I'm thinking about bread! On a DD!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #110
Senior LCF Member

I do have some Knox, will give it a try when we have lower temps, been in the 90's here in WI! Thanks for the info, never heard of using gelatin! I was thinking of adding more fat!!
leonak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
Leona
What if you soaked the oats in water before adding them to the dough?
They're probably sucking up all the moisture in your recipe.

I've heard potato flour makes bread nice & moist.
As well as using potato water (water you've boiled potatoes in) and/or some mashed potato (1 cup per 5-6 cups of flour).
I get potato rolls quite often, and love them! They never get dry and stale like regular rolls.

Have either of you used malted milk/barley malt in breadmaking? I bought some recently, and the label says that it makes it toast very nicely. My kitchen doesn't have an oven, so I can't experiment.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #112
Blabbermouth!!!

One of my 100% whole wheat bread recipes from DH's grandmother uses a sponge method with potato water, and I use potato water in a couple of my other recipes and it makes a big difference in the texture. Haven't used potato flour, though.

Have not used the malt but have wanted to try it for a while.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:30 AM   #113

Stop this you bad girls! This is Down Day hell. Bread will now have to be factored into my 400 cals!

Seriously, I am loving the feeling of peace I get on a DD. I know what is planned and although I may change thins around a bit it is so 'freeing' to know that i am doing my body a favour.

At last my DHs family have all gone. I am lucky to have a lovely home where I can accommodate folks, and the are all good people, but it is lovely when you wave the last one goodbye and take back your own life.

Now the washing etc begins, but, to be honest I quite like getting things in order again.

I feel that we are at last moving on from the loss of my FIL. We have the ashes home now, ready to scatter them on Dartmoor where his wife's went 11 years ago. Of course the flat has to be sorted and there is all the usual paperwork but the emotional part is easing.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
So glad to hear things are settling a bit Kissa. Hope you enjoyed your bread.

I stayed within calories, but ate way too many things I shouldn't have (wheat, milk, and probably even some egg products). Thankfully, I didn't have any stomach upset other than a bit of gas. And I only went up a pound on the scale. Lovely little sirtuins, I think I love you. LOL TOM showed up, which certainly explains my complete and total lack of willpower to avoid all those wheaty, milky, sugary things. Will likely have a higher maint calorie dd today, since I'm going to lunch with a friend after doing some work on helping her set up a website for our church. Will fast until then, and have a light dinner, so it'll be fine.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #115

Tina I agree on my love for those Suirtuins. I have no right to look and feel as good as I do after the eating pattern of the past week. But I am grateful, so grateful.

Glad you didn't suffer too much for your fun with you MIL.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #116
Blabbermouth!!!

Glad things will begin to settle down for you, Cindy.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Sorry Kissa... but DD hell is UD heaven!

And if we're talking bread today- Sara Lee's 45 cal bread knocks the socks off of Nature's Own 40 cal bread. Nature's Own has that choke you dry feeling. Ugh! Haven't tried it toasted yet though.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #118

Indeed it is UD heaven. Thanks Sheridan x

I was feeling really quite hungry a while back so did the old trick of 2 Psyllium husk capsules and a glass of water, it really does the trick.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
What if you soaked the oats in water before adding them to the dough?
They're probably sucking up all the moisture in your recipe.

I've heard potato flour makes bread nice & moist.
As well as using potato water (water you've boiled potatoes in) and/or some mashed potato (1 cup per 5-6 cups of flour).
I get potato rolls quite often, and love them! They never get dry and stale like regular rolls.

Have either of you used malted milk/barley malt in breadmaking? I bought some recently, and the label says that it makes it toast very nicely. My kitchen doesn't have an oven, so I can't experiment.
I put my oatmeal in the sponge the night before I made bread and in the morning the sponge was doing great.

My mil would always use potato water in her bread too

Have never used malted milk or barley milk in anything

Sure hope you get an oven soon, would be hard not to have one too! We did live without a stove or oven for a good 6 months before we got our house, ( used a microwave only and had lots of cold beans from a can too )also no bathroom ( stool is what I mean ) . Took a shower outside also. One learns to do what one has to too, now am thankful for the house!

Thanks all for the great info! Will be baking once it gets cooler here!

Leona
Old 07-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No, I have lived in this "house" for over 10 years and there isn't an oven in the "kitchen"--just a stovetop.

It was built in 1937 as a summer cabin (we're in a lake community) and I guess they figured they could do without luxurious things like ovens or closets.

There isn't even room for a fridge in the kitchen...there's a mysterious "hole" under the counter; the previous owner explained that that's where the icebox used to be! The fridge is in the living room!!!

I have a small convection oven that I used to be able to use, but the electricity in this house is whacky...I can't plug it in anywhere anymore.

I can live without baking most of the time, but I did use it a lot for making enchiladas and warming up pizza & other leftovers!!!