Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #181
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Valerie! I just got back from a short trip to the Bay Area. So much nicer weather than here!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #182
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 163 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Low Carb/Up Days-Down Days
Start Date: May/June 2014
OMG forgot to give my age- I will be 70 on 9-30-2012

WOW there is a lot of science in the book but I have skimmed those parts and just started reading the actual plan and that is when I noticed the age factor and raced in here to list it for anyone hoping to help me out.
Thanks again and boy I am getting excited to start.
Thanks Kerasmama and Dawnyama- I will come back to read your post in a few minutes.
Elaine
Norfolk Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #183

Okay, here's what I got from the calculator:

UD calories are 1808 (round to 1800 for ease if you'd like).

DD calories vary by how low you want to go, and how quickly you'd like to lose weight. The dr. recommends 500 calorie DDs for the first two weeks to get the sirtuins activated. Some people feel they can't get that low right away, and that's okay. Do your best and give yourself some leeway, but try to get down to 500 as you're able. (I didn't think I could, but my first day was around 400, and I never even approached 500 until I took a little maintenance break). Some people also never get down to 500 and still lose. It just depends on how your body reacts.

Once you feel comfortable with DDs, you can decide what to do with your DD calories. Here's what the website gives with your stats:

20% WLM = 362
25% WLM = 452
30% WLM = 542
35% WLM = 633

It goes up from there. It also helps to know that if you're having a hard DD and can't stick to 500, you're still in weight loss mode (WLM) with 542 or 633 calories, etc.

Clear as mud?

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #184
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Dawn,

I jotted all of that down and WOW on 1,800 calories but Humph on the DDs of 362 which sounds real low to me. Major thing to figure out is my morning coffee of stevia, coffee mate powder, instant Folgers and 1/8 t of cinnamon. Then I am thinking of the frozen WWs or Lean L's as those calories are done for me. I know I will wait till as late as possible at night before eating them as I will suffer if I start and cannot stop eating early in the day. HERE I GO AGAIN but this really does seem like something I can manage long term.
Thanks again Dawn.
Back to book!
e.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #185
Blabbermouth!!!

I cannot always find this "July Newbies" spot?????

Oh my! Another "bump" in the book! "2 weeks induction" problem for me is the SHAKES! I totally hate them, all of them, no exceptions. Could I , would it be possible, is there any way of my being allowed to get the same results with making my own with SKIM MILK, STEVIA, VANILLA, ICE, AND SOMETIMES ADDING INSTANT COFFEE FOR A FLAVOR CHANGE? I will cheerfully do this making small shakes through out the morning and afternoon and having a salad type late night supper counting so the entire day is 500 calories or under. I will read the lables on the Atkins Shakes at the store and keep my home made shakes in that range. I do use supplements and plan to add the few Dr. Johnson likes that I do not already do. Please answer right away as I am heading for the store as soon as I hear to pick up a big skim milk. The Stevia (Truvia) use would be a deal beaker if I am told I have to use the commercial shakes. UGH!
Thanks and sorry for being such a pain. Planning to make tomorrow my DD to start off the induction.
Elaine

Last edited by Norfolk Mermaid; 07-12-2012 at 03:38 PM..
Old 07-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #186

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfolk Mermaid View Post
Oh my! Another "bump" in the book! "2 weeks induction" problem for me is the SHAKES! I totally hate them, all of them, no exceptions. Could I , would it be possible, is there any way of my being allowed to get the same results with making my own with SKIM MILK, STEVIA, VANILLA, ICE, AND SOMETIMES ADDING INSTANT COFFEE FOR A FLAVOR CHANGE? I cheerfully do this making small shakes through out the morning and afternoon and having a salad type late night supper counting so the entire day is 500 calories or under. I will read the lables on the Atkins Shakes at the store and keep my home made shakes in that range. I do use supplements and plan to add the few Dr. Johnson likes that I do not already do. Please answer right away as I am heading for the store as soon as I hear to pick up a big skim milk. The Stevia (Truvia) use would be a deal beaker if I am told I have to use the commercial shakes. UGH!
Thanks and sorry for being such a pain.
L.

He recommends doing them but it is NOT required to do them. Most people much prefer eating real food on the DDs. Any way you can get in your DD calories will work. Just stick to the calorie count and you should be fine!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #187
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you "Pretty Dawn"

Fellow S.C. er here- born in Charleston, S.C. by looks like several decades before you were. LOL
Actually, I love the idea of the shakes if I can make my own as gardening breaks to cool off would be perfect to sip on 3 or 4 ozs through out the day.
Going to pick up that skim milk now.
Thanks again.
e.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #188

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Very few of us used the shakes, real food is much better.

Look at the top left of the page when you open LCF and you will see User Contol Panel. Click on that and there are all the threads that you have written on. If want to you can edit them as the list gets too long. We'll deal with that as we need to.

Have fun with your first UD, be strong through your first DD, and take time to read the science bits, because they are amazing... Especially for we more mature ones. The health benefits can be astonishing .

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ack-juddd.html

Last edited by Kissa; 07-12-2012 at 05:26 PM..
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #189
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
thanks!

Keirasmom, Kissa, and JoyJoy (and others) ... you all are so motivating! Thanks for all the great posts.

calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #190

Soon you'll be here guiding the new newcomers. That is what makes JUDDD so special here. We we all new just a few months ago.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #191
Blabbermouth!!!

Got supplies at the market so ready to go!

hmmm wondered about starting on the 13th but it just turns out that way. I am like "Mark Twain" I do not believe in ghost but I am afraid of them anyway.
Some of the soups in the book look amazing and I bought ingr. for the roasted pepper soup and will try the cauliflower and asparagus ones soon- these soups will be just as good icy cold for the summer. I bought the skim milk for the shakes and some unsalted chicken stock. Already planning a shrimp scampi with chabata bread for dipping on my first up day. I LOVE this! Oh, I bought the little containers of sugar free jellos and a super nice ice berg luttuce for wedges.
Going to read the menus and study more of the book but will most likely have lights out pretty quick.
bbt
Thanks everyone for all the help. Dawn you are amazing to help me get unstuck both those times and KirasMom thank you as well. Also JoyJoy? in the red and white shirt? Thanks.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ninthmuse
Stats: weight is low, low, low!!
WOE: juddd
Start Date: 9th june 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
and please forgive me for not mentioning you all by name. I am so behind. 2 funerals in one week.
the weather has been appropriate then? sorry to hear you've had to go to 2x funerals kissa. sooooooooo depressing! my family and 3 of my best friends have all died at christmas go figure debs
ninthmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:13 AM   #193
Senior LCF Member

very good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
You'll experience greater appetite suppression and increased energy. Many report a feeling of peace or well-being as well, almost a "glow." DDs become much easier and you'll start to look forward to them. At least most do. If you have inflammation, it will start to decrease. Some changes will be so gradual you may not notice them at first.
thanks keirasmom - that really helps. it's already happening, not hugely but i could tell the difference in dd1 and dd2. i was really tired on dd1 - had to have a nap during the day which i haven't had to do in a loooooong time. dh said he was really surprised that he was able to do the dd - he is not so good at the not eating part. he puts it down to the fact that he knows he can eat the next day. debs
Old 07-13-2012, 01:29 AM   #194
Senior LCF Member

hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeOne View Post
Ninth: Being a brit (uk) I had to look up what a Reuben sandwich was.. it made me want to dust off my sandwich toaster. I have so many 'wow.. that will make make my life easier gadgets/appliances sitting @ the back of the cupboard..smh.. I need to start a 'I never use this.. lets swap' with the family.
hello fellow brit!! make the reuben old school - with sauerkraut. us brits tend to use coleslaw but the sauerkraut is way better. i hate to say it but you don't even need to use the sandwich toaster as it's better with just the bread toasted and the filling cold. sorry about that!
i am ing!! i have just bought an ice-cream maker, why? consigned to the utility room along with the soup maker and the mixer/chopper thingy and the second microwave, don't even ask!!
a swap meet would be hilarious!! i would probably go home with the same 'bleep' that i came with, just a different brand and as i am a brand snob (only for quality purposes) i probably wouldn't want to swap with anyone!! for instance my mil has bought 9 kettles to my one and 4 irons to my one. poor woman has spent more on hers than i did on my lovely branded ones.
i am, however, determined to use the ice-cream maker (at least once) as i thought i could do frozen yoghurt which sounded pretty yummy to me and reasonably lc. debs
Old 07-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #195
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning... slept in later than ever- cool is good!

second thoughts about starting DD today on Friday 13th so will start but not make it an official start till Monday July 16th. I could not get to sleep last night so finally at 12:33 am I got up and ate puddings/spritz of whipped cream and fudge popsicles. I really felt actual guilt doing that as it sure was a dummy start to a down day. Now I am counting daylight as the beginning (not official) of my DD and having my morning coffee and listing the calories in a little journal I have started (another thing I have started hundreds of times and never made it past 3 days). I will be using the MENUs in the book as all the calories are counted there and I won't have to do any dreaded math.
Morning coffee: 50 calories (2 TBLSoons CoffeeMate).
Now I am going to pick peaches from my tree for tomorrows UD.
bbl
Dawn: one more giant favor please: how do I ger that ticker at the bottom of my post? Thanks, E.

Last edited by Norfolk Mermaid; 07-13-2012 at 07:48 AM..
Old 07-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #196

It's quite a process. The directions can be found here: Instructions on how to add a ticker into your signature (pictures included!)
Old 07-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
I wrote a book in the main newbie thread, so I'll just post the condensed version here, lol.
Started JUDDD yesterday with a DD. Starting out with 30%, which is 540. I think I did 600 though because I was woefully unprepared. Most of what I had in the house were high cal/fat foods from my previous LC woe. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, and 2 cups of decafe before bed kept me from starving overnight.
I have to have something first thing in the morning-I'm not hungry, but nauseous. I'm going to try just a few sips of broth or half a Wasa cracker, and then break my calories up in to 2 meals. Tiny little snacks several times a day didn't work real well yesterday, so I'm going to revamp my menu into 2 larger meals. I can't stand the artificial sweetener in most of the low-cal packaged foods, so I'll be skipping the shakes. Wish me luck!
Old 07-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Crazy, welcome! It sounds as though you learned lots from your first DD. they get easier (never thought I'd say that) as you find what works best for you. We'll look forward to hearing from you.
This is a great place to be.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #199
Blabbermouth!!!

Have made it to afternoon and feel OK.

Just made my "shake" which is really icy cold skim milk, stevia and vanilla with a good shaking. Had about 4 big swallows which looks kinda like 1/2 cup. So far journal looks like:

8:30 am- morn coff. 50 cal.
Noon- skim milk 100 cal./ Crystal Lt. Lem. Ade 50 cal. (repeat at 5: pm)
5:00 pm- same as noon
9:00 pm- Lean Cuisine chic. stir fry 290 cal./ 2 c broc. 50 cal.

I am hungry and quite hungry actually but will get busy doing some gardening or house work.
That ticker thing I would never, ever be able to do. I will e-mail Chryl for help.

Dawn, I weighed this morning and it was 192 but I will officially weigh on monday morning and I hope you will re-do the numbers for me. Thanks for trying to help with the ticker. I picked out the purple flowers (# 3) and the little sun but that is as far as it would let me go so I must have not done something right. I tried for option 2. grrrrr math and techie part of my brain just does not exist.
bbl
Old 07-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #200
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #201

Good work Jan, Lainey. This gets easier and easier, at least it did for me.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #202
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: microbio72
3rd DD

Hello everyone and welcome to all the other new people! I will agree with what everyone on here is saying about the shakes. I used them my first DD, but by my second they just weren't cutting it. Today I didn't even try them. I think they will be good to have if I need them, but I much prefer actual food. I had two egg whites with a tablespoon of salsa for lunch and it was a third of the calories of a shake and much more filling. So far today is easier then my second DD, and am looking forward to tomorrow! It is my daughters birthday and it will be great to eat cake without feeling guilty! Have a great day everyone.
microbio72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #203

Well done microbio, nice food choice, and enjoy sharing some cake with you DD. The joy of JUDDD.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #204
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
I have to say, I love the simplicity of this woe. No forbidden foods, nothing special to buy. I did fine yesterday with just the food I already had on hand. And I'll no longer feel guilty or like a failure if I eat a piece of cake! Now let's just pray it works!
Crazy Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #205

I does, work, it really does.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #206
Blabbermouth!!!

In the home streach for Day 1, DD

5:49 I steamed 2 cups of brocoli/fresh lemon and finished the days second skim milk. Really have my tongue hanging out for that Lean Cuisine but need to wait for close to bed time or I might have a problem getting to sleep if hungry. I plan to add another melitonin pill a couple of hours before bed and for now I just plan to read a lot more of a novel "Vinegar Hill" I am into. I have new magazines but the food pictures would kill me on a DD so am saving those for tomorrow. I can honestly say that I cannot remember looking so forward to the next day. "UP DAY" is sure right! Shrimp Scampi (Gortons- the handsome fisher guy one) and Chiata Bread for sopping. For me the 1st DD was NOT easy peasy but I do have a sense of pride for "gettin her done" so far. I do trust what some of yall all have said about it does get easier. I have type 2 diabetes and a low thyroid but all is just fine in that department and I actually had more energy than usual and pruned the dickens out of dwarf peach tree- lets just say that it is now a true dwarf again. Lots of peaches still on it to ripen and several pounds are in my fridge to use tomorrow, monday and wednesday, etc till they are gone- they are little as I did not cull any of them this year.
bbl- back to my novel. tv is awful so I will be glad when the 0's start on the 27th, and thank heavens for America's Got Talent.
bbl
Old 07-14-2012, 02:54 AM   #207

By now the DD will be over, you'll have slept and a awoken to the joy of your UD. Good start Lainey, that peach tree really got it huh?
Old 07-14-2012, 05:18 AM   #208
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Cindy and all of you for being so supportive.

WOO HOOO I got her done! Selpt so excellent between at least 7 or 8 trips to lose a ton of water- well, I weighed in this morning at 189 1/2 so literally 2 1/2 lbs (? there is that math again) from the 192 on the 7-13-2012. The 2 cups of brocoli & skim milk was a charm causing the Lean Cuisine an hour later to seem huge. I will do some tweeking on tomorrows DD (like having the brocoli & milk at 4: instead of 5: or 6:
UPDay- oh yeeeessssss! I am happy about that! Actually, I feel like today is the state of Georgia and I AM GENERAL SHERMAN...lol. You know, the truth be known I do not feel that way at all, but sure thought I would. What I am is very happy that it is not a DDay.
I have to wait an hour or so before eating & taking my Janumet diabetes meds after taking my thyroid meds so I will start my UD then. Having my coffee 50 cals. and have fed my two kitties Ms. SuSun and Aaunt Jane.
Thank you one and all for getting me started so well. "Well begun is half done".
Will e-mail Chryl in hopes of getting that ticker by monday.
e.
Oh yes Cindy, that peach tree is tamed and lots got done on the pear tree with the "1 apple" tree and plum tree next.

Last edited by Norfolk Mermaid; 07-14-2012 at 05:21 AM..
Old 07-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #209
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
THAT'S the spirit Lainey!!! Congratulations! No peach tree (or body fat) is safe when you are around!!!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeeOne
Stats: 308/222/195
WOE: Moderate carbs/JUDDD
Start Date: 2012 Start: 5 May Mod LC/ 1 Jul JUDDD
Two weeks in ~ So far so good

Greetings Juddd Buddds

I'm nearly half way through my July Induction which I'm trying to do clean.. well cleanish & I'm using the daily weigh ins to get to know my swings.

Started out @ 288lbs & set a July goal of 4-5lbs as I didn't want to set myself up to fail while my body was adjusting to this new WOE. Now I've achieved that, my new goal for the rest of July is to get into the 270's which will be a first for decades.

It's early days & I dont know if its the lowish carbs which I cant see me doing long term or if SIRT1 is knocking @ my door.. I hope so I'll throw it a welcome Party

I cant believe I'm up to 31 posts, a record for me on any forum. (unashamed lurker) Everyone being so friendly, motivating & helpful just made it so easy to fit right in .. wish I could work out how to add a signature
DeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote