Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #121
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PhotoGirlTX
WOE: Atkins - induction
Start Date: 7/22/13
First DD!

Hello JUDDDers, first timer here! I introduced myself on the newbies thread and thought I'd check in here as well with a question. I downloaded Dr Johnson's book...he suggested for the first couple of weeks for DD's; to use meal-replacement shakes (I'm using 11 oz Atkins prepared shakes) and to spread out the 500 calories throughout the day by having 100 calories of the shake (about 6.5 oz) at breakfast, lunch, afternoon, dinner and bedtime. I'm interested to know how others are doing their DD's. Are you using meal-replacement shakes or are you preparing 'meals'? I'm going to use the shakes this week, will then prepare 'real' food thereafter...I was so happy to see tons of ideas on the DD recipe thread!! Just curious what's working for others so far on your DD's!! Thanks!!
PhotoGirlTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberino
Stats: 235/141 50 yo
WOE: Atkins/now JUDDD
Start Date: 3 '09 Atkins-3 '12 JUDDD
I don't know about you, but I need real food in my mouth so I didn't do the meal replacement shakes. It took some trial and error, but I've found ways to get filled up without going over my DD cals. Some do, however, have success with the shakes - it's really all about finding something that works for you. Good luck and welcome to JUDDD!
kimberino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 154/147/130 - 5'4", Age: 52, Highest:178
WOE: JUDDD 1850/700 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD 4/30/12, LC and Carb Cycling 2002-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoGirlTX View Post
Hello JUDDDers, first timer here! I introduced myself on the newbies thread and thought I'd check in here as well with a question. I downloaded Dr Johnson's book...he suggested for the first couple of weeks for DD's; to use meal-replacement shakes (I'm using 11 oz Atkins prepared shakes) and to spread out the 500 calories throughout the day by having 100 calories of the shake (about 6.5 oz) at breakfast, lunch, afternoon, dinner and bedtime. I'm interested to know how others are doing their DD's. Are you using meal-replacement shakes or are you preparing 'meals'? I'm going to use the shakes this week, will then prepare 'real' food thereafter...I was so happy to see tons of ideas on the DD recipe thread!! Just curious what's working for others so far on your DD's!! Thanks!!
Good morning and welcome! I didn't read the book before trying this WOE, so I just got some ideas from the DD threads for my meals. I don't mind an occasional shake, but usually need real food. Just track your calories closely and it's all good. Best to you!!
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FairyWren
Stats: 178/136/124 5'3"
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Hi PhotoGirl and for the first couple of weeks i had mostly shakes or low cal, just add water, "instant" meals that i had left over from a very low calorie diet that i did. I still have loads of those left in my cupboard but i've now been having mainly real food - one of the reasons i gave up the VLCD was because i prefer to eat "proper food".

I found that a good idea is to make up a big pan of soup using a chicken breast and lots of vegetables - weigh and measure and make it around 500 cals - make it the night before your DD. Then eat it a bit at a time throughout the day.

Now i've been JUDDDing for a month i find the DDs a lot easier and now don't eat until into the afternoon on a DD as i don't feel hungry.

FairyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #125
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Hi Photogirl, most of us used real food but I know some found the shakes method worked for them. It is up to you.

I can really enjoy 500 calories when I set my mind to it, and a shake is, well, just a shake....

Whatever you decide do keep us posted on your success, loving all the Newbie posts.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #126
Junior LCF Member

@Kimberino: Thanks for the welcome! I'll want real food too...not crazy about processed stuff...I'm anxious to see how this first DD goes. I'm sure actually eating instead of drinking my 'meals' will be more satisfying long term. Good luck to you too!!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #127
Junior LCF Member

@CactusRose63 Thanks for the welcome! I agree, there are lots of great DD meal ideas, this forum is awesome. I use ****** to track my calories...as a foodie, I'll be trying out the recipes next DD...the shakes aren't necessary, but, ok for the first day. Good luck to you as well!

@FairyWren: I LOVE soup, I could eat it every day of my life! Great suggestion to make up a pan to have throughout the day! Thanks!

@Kissa: I agree, a shake is just a shake! Fantastiac stats by the way! How much of your weight did you lose JUDDDing and how long did it take?
Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #128

My soup has been bubbling away all morning. Looking forward to enjoying some later.

I lost the bulk of my weight in 2001 doing Atkins. I did briefly see my goal but then hung around at between 5 and 10 lbs more that I wanted to be, for about 4 years.

I started JUDDD in October last year, still staying LC for a couple of weeks, then introducing carbs which, after so long, has been a real bonus for me.

I had great success from the word go and by Xmas I was at my goal of 126. I maintained all through the Xmas and New Year period and even went on a vacation in January without seeing any real gain. Since then I have dropped as low as 120 and that is not a good look for a woman of my age. I have maintained between 122 and 125 since then, loving my food all the way.

I have recently spent a week in France and coped with the loss of a close family member and yesterday was only 127. I am back on track now that the dust has settled and I expect to see a very happy number on the scales shortly.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.

Last edited by Kissa; 07-09-2012 at 09:44 AM..
Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #129
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Welcome to JUDDD. I am also from Texas but I am in the central part.

I did shakes the first two weeks and liked that I did not have to think about food. I had a shake this morning and it is an UD but I also added 1/2 t gluc since I am experimenting and don't want to experiment on DD's. I did not have any gluc when I started. It is noon and I am not hungry yet and I had my shake at 6am. Six hours and counting isn't bad for me.

Dr. J said the purpose of the shakes was so your would not have to track calories and for some that makes them think about food all the time. I know I do when I am counting every bite.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/148/139 JUDDD 01/08/12
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #130
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Welcome to JUDDD. I am also from Texas but I am in the central part.

I did shakes the first two weeks and liked that I did not have to think about food. I had a shake this morning and it is an UD but I also added 1/2 t gluc since I am experimenting and don't want to experiment on DD's. I did not have any gluc when I started. It is noon and I am not hungry yet and I had my shake at 6am. Six hours and counting isn't bad for me.

Dr. J said the purpose of the shakes was so your would not have to track calories and for some that makes them think about food all the time. I know I do when I am counting every bite.
Thanks for the welcome Ali! Hopefully, it's not hot and humid where you are, like it is in my part of Texas!

That's what I read too...Dr J did suggest using shakes to make it easier. It's great that you're not hungry after 6 hours...what kind do you use? Also, what is 'gluc' and what is it's purpose? I guess I have lots to learn about this WOE!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #131
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
My soup has been bubbling away all morning. Looking forward to enjoying some later.

I lost the bulk of my weight in 2001 doing Atkins. I did briefly see my goal but then hung around at between 5 and 10 lbs more that I wanted to be, for about 4 years.

I started JUDDD in October last year, still staying LC for a couple of weeks, then introducing carbs which, after so long, has been a real bonus for me.

I had great success from the word go and by Xmas I was at my goal of 126. I maintained all through the Xmas and New Year period and even went on a vacation in January without seeing any real gain. Since then I have dropped as low as 120 and that is not a good look for a woman of my age. I have maintained between 122 and 125 since then, loving my food all the way.

I have recently spent a week in France and coped with the loss of a close family member and yesterday was only 127. I am back on track now that the dust has settled and I expect to see a very happy number on the scales shortly.
Cindy, thanks for sharing! It sounds like you've got it figured out...congrats on doing so well, especially after spending a week in France! I'm so sorry for the loss of your family member though...I know going through something like that can really derail our efforts. It's good that you're back on track now...a great feeling, yes??!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #132
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Stats: 227/175/? 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: started JUDDD 3/22/2012
Quote:
Hello JUDDDers, first timer here!
HOWDY from me here in Aggieland! Glad to have you join us.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #133
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
HOWDY from me here in Aggieland! Glad to have you join us.
Howdy back atcha Sheridan! Thanks for the welcome!!
Old 07-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #134

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/118.4/118 5'3.75"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusrose63 View Post
Coconut oil for acne--do tell!! I am 51 and have it here in menopause, like I was a teenager or something and it is really annoying! Thanks for any info you may have for me. I know, off topic, but I can't send you a message. Thanks.
I am going to be 42 next week and am using coconut oil for my face. I wash my face with my cleanser in the shower and when I am done, I use the coconut oil first thing on my face. It is an anti-microbial, anti-viral and anti-bacterial so it will do wonders for your skin. Using this has kept my face from most breakouts. Oh, I occasionally have one or two pimples but I chalk that up to hormones. I don't even wash my face at night because I am so lazy and doing this routine in the morning keeps my face fresh and blemish free all day. I love coconut oil!! Just apply it straight from the jar. I have been told all my life I have sensitive skin and have been watching what I put on my face because I can break out from certain additives and lines of products. I don't have any issues using the coconut oil.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #135
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: microbio72
New to JUDDD

Hi everyone. Today is my first DD on Juddd. I am doing the Atkins shakes. So far so good but I know my bad time is at night in front of the TV. I had about 12lbs to do and lost the first five during low carb, but realized that I couldn't maintain a low carb lifestyle. My goal is to keep relatively low carb, but really just try to eat healthy carbs. Wish me luck!
microbio72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: 150?/?/135 52yo
WOE: JUDDDish
Microbio, Welcome! Hope your first DD goes well. Sometimes the first bit takes a bit of muscle. We're here for you! If it turns out that you don't love the shakes, let us know and we'll throw some other suggestions your way.
Joyjoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 154/147/130 - 5'4", Age: 52, Highest:178
WOE: JUDDD 1850/700 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD 4/30/12, LC and Carb Cycling 2002-2011
Dawn, thanks for the idea, will have to put coconut oil on my shopping list.
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
WOE: JUDDD
WELCOME new JUDDD BUDDS!!! I think you will love it here!

Phyl
gotitnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:18 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hollyitworks
Stats: 185/168/130 -17 Woohoo!
WOE: JUDDD (Is there any other way?)
Start Date: Restart July 2012 JUDDD. Start May 2012 Atkins
Hi Everyone, thanks for the inspiration~

Wow, so excited. Didn't I say that yesterday? Can't help it. DD #2 down. It was a bit stressful. I had to eat a lcbar and go over 25%cal because I didn't think I could make it and I didn't want to go to sleep at 6:30pm. Anyway, here I am on another day. an up day and I'm down again! 160's here I come!!!

Holly
hollyitworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #140
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 174 1/2 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Summer foods- back to UP DAYS/DOWN DAYS Oct. 1, 13
Start Date: 8-3-2012 UD
Waiting for my "Book" to get here from Amazon.

Hoping today is the day. I had sworn off diet books forever and ever but this plan sounds very much like who I am. I can in fact wait ONE day for something I really, really want.
One of the first things I wish to do is get that ticker thingy when my book gets here and I do the scale and measurements drill yet again one more time for a "new" life time WOE. I measure the right wrist and thigh and my waist and weigh myself on my "Dr's scale" I bought after my divorce from an internist and realized it was the only thing I missed from that marriage.
The next thing I will do after breezing through my book for the first time (deep reading right after and all the way through) is change my profile.
I am getting really pumped and love the post here but what are P2 and P3 and like that?
bbl
morning is escaping and I want to pick peaches from my tree before the second round of rain/storms hit.
Elaine

Norfolk Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #141
Junior LCF Member

Made it through my first DD!

It wasn't as tough as I expected it to be! I'm more nervous about my UD today. Dr J says to eat whatever, just don't over-eat, but, I feel like I'm in 'diet-mode' and need to low cal/carb. Are you guys 'dieting' on UDs or eating whatever you want? I had a egg white omelet with ham and veggies for breakfast this morning, and am concerned about how to deal with the rest of the day? Am I over thinking this???
Old 07-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberino
Stats: 235/141 50 yo
WOE: Atkins/now JUDDD
Start Date: 3 '09 Atkins-3 '12 JUDDD
Photo - You may be overthinking it, but I believe we all probably did in the beginning. I came from a very strict lc WOE, which I had been doing for 3 years, and couldn't believe I could actually eat that banana without some kind of repercussions. As others will tell you, this "diet" allows you to eat what you choose to incorporate into your daily calories allotment. I began stuffing my face with everything I hadn't been able to eat in so long, but gradually settled into moderate carb eating, not by choice, but by what I naturally felt like eating. I think you'll hear from others that even if our first choices weren't the healthiest, you do end up making healthier choices, because it's what your body wants.

Congrats on your first successful DD!

Kim

Welcome Elaine! I believe P2 and P3 are referring to the hcg diet plan - has nothing to do with JUDDD, although many hcg'ers come over to JUDDD after losing so that they can maintain their weightloss. You will enjoy the book, but while you're waiting, check out the stickies at the top of the forum - they're full of very helpful info.

Last edited by kimberino; 07-10-2012 at 06:01 AM..
kimberino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #143
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome Ali! Hopefully, it's not hot and humid where you are, like it is in my part of Texas!

That's what I read too...Dr J did suggest using shakes to make it easier. It's great that you're not hungry after 6 hours...what kind do you use? Also, what is 'gluc' and what is it's purpose? I guess I have lots to learn about this WOE!
Gluc is short for glucomannan which is simply fiber from the konjac root. Netrition carries it. It is a calorie free filler. Same stuff Shirataki noodles are made from. I quit using it for awhile but am back on it since I am having a shake for breakfast these mornings. I like the Pure Protein shakes (120 calories, 23 g protein). I get them at Wal-Mart. Second is Atkins Shakes at 160 calories, 15 g protein. I am going to try shakes for 2 meals on DD's since they are easy and I have been fasting on DD's but that is not producing any weightloss so back to eating or in my case drinking on DD's.

I did not stay LC when I started JUDDD. Right, wrong of indifferent, I lost 25 pounds in 5 months eating anything and everything. I am just now having to start being very careful since my weightloss stopped in June and I just maintained. So , no more fun on UD's and back to healthy whole foods. Darn. I was so enjoying the ice cream.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #144
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chelly59
Stats: 211.8/199.4/175 54yrs
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: January 4, 2014
I consider myself still new to JUDDD as I started back in June. So far, I have gone down 8lbs....and very happy with this loss. My UDs are wonderful...eat as much as I want and so far, my DDs are bearable. I haven't felt deprived and starved any day so far. I am encouraged to continuing this woe. Thanking everyone for all the comments.
chelly59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #145
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: microbio72
First down day down!

Well, it went pretty much like I expected. I made it through without going over, but the hours between 7-10pm were tough for me. I never realized how many food commercials there are on the television! My first up day and I splurged and had a small non-fat mocha, something I could not have done on LC, and it is sooooo good. I read online that the important thing on updays was to really make sure your calories are close to your up amount, because it is the calorie difference between the two days that adds to the effect. Is this correct? My up day calories are much higher according to the website then what I would normally eat. Has anyone found it difficult to keep your calories up there?
microbio72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #146

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by microbio72 View Post
Well, it went pretty much like I expected. I made it through without going over, but the hours between 7-10pm were tough for me. I never realized how many food commercials there are on the television! My first up day and I splurged and had a small non-fat mocha, something I could not have done on LC, and it is sooooo good. I read online that the important thing on updays was to really make sure your calories are close to your up amount, because it is the calorie difference between the two days that adds to the effect. Is this correct? My up day calories are much higher according to the website then what I would normally eat. Has anyone found it difficult to keep your calories up there?
There are a couple of theories on the UD calories and how closely you need to stick to them. Some do best if they hit them very closely, and others find they do better if they don't go quite that high. Dr. Johnson says you don't have to eat all your UD calories. I personally feel that you should try to hit both numbers for a couple of weeks before changing anything. If you CAN lose eating all your calories, it seems to me it would be better for keeping that metabolism burning well if you DO eat them.

That being said, if your numbers seem really high, you may want to enter your stats in the calculator again and make sure you changed to pounds and inches. Some here didn't do that initially and it really changes your calorie allowance if you're 150 pounds v's 150 kilos, IYKWIM. If you'd like one of us to verify your numbers, please list your height, weight, age, and gender, and we'll be happy to help.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #147

to you all, you are going to love this, for most of us the DDs do get easier, especially if you are eating real food.

The UDs are a joy and eating up to you number is an 'option' that most of us enjoy. My UD calories are only 1460 or so, which is not a great deal.

However, as I am no longer trying to lose, I push them as high as I can to keep my metabolism guessing. Seems to work for me.

YMMV...........
Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeeOne
Stats: 308/222/195
WOE: Moderate carbs/JUDDD
Start Date: 2012 Start: 5 May Mod LC/ 1 Jul JUDDD
to all the new Juddders, I'm in my second week of induction (decided to do it for the month) & lost about 3lbs... slow but going in the right direction waiting for the Sirt to kick in. The DDs are not too bad & the UDs I'm trying to eat as healthly as possible & reintroduce different carbs slowly as i can turn into a puffer fish if i go overboard. I love this woe as its so forgiving especially as I have a few health issues that can make it hard on UD's to get in all the cals while keeping my carbs low. A couple of bluberry muffins would sort it out, but I'm trying to be good.. well @ least till after induction.
Good Luck everyone, looking forward to hearing about your progress
DeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #149

Glad it is going well for you Dee, we are all rooting for you. Thanks for popping in to support the other Newbies, you are a true JUDDD BUDDD.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ninthmuse
Stats: weight is low, low, low!!
WOE: juddd
Start Date: 9th june 2012
quick update!

wanted to say hi and that dh and i did our first ud sunday and the dd yesterday! i didn't feel inclined to go nuts on the up day having just finished the hcg diet but i ate enough including a treacle pudding and custard!! it was amazing! the down day was easy peasy after doing hcg - even dh was completely fine (he was the one i was worried wouldn't be able to handle it). weighed myself today after the down day and i was down .4 lbs so something is happening. i am not weighing everyday anymore, just when it feels like i have dropped some poundage! definitely lost 'inches' already as the jeans are already loose.

hey dawn - how's p1 going?

sorry it's so quick but absolutely loads going on this end! debs
ninthmuse is offline   Reply With Quote