Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Karinala
Stats: 230/154/155 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 1/12/2012
Blood sugar?

Hi all--haven't posted in a long time, but I am still going strong on JUDDD (since January 12) and have lost 55 pounds. This has actually been the least painful diet I have ever experienced, and I sometimes put on my smallest clothes thinking, 'now how did that happen?"
My actual question and reason for posting comes from my husband. He is interested in dropping some weight and has been watching my success. He is very concerned that if he doesn't eat he will have blood sugar issues. He is not diabetic, but has had low blood sugar issues occasionally with the shaky, frantic feelings connected until he eats something.
Anyone know how to answer him? I have not had a single sugar issue since I started, but that is me. I know I have finally found something that works for me and has gotten my metabolism back in gear. By the way, I do take the resveratrol, CoQ10 and Acetyl L Carnetine most every day. I learned to take them with food or else http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/im.../sick_2011.gif My down days I simply drink one SlimFast at noon, and have coffee with powdered creamer several times a day as my total calories. It makes for an easy day, with no planning involved and for now that is still my strategy. I want to lose about 20 more pounds, but already am at my lowest point of MANY years!
Any personal experiences with blood sugar would be appreciated.
Karinala is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Congratulations Karinala! I can't tell you how excited I am! I started with 50 lbs to lose and I truly didn't imagine that I could do this and accomplish my goal, but I am!

As for your DH, I know that several have blood sugar issues and are doing JUDDD, PirateJenny, YamYam's hubby, someone will be here to give you great advice!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
So, do you mind sharing which Resveratrol you take? I think I may have been on too high a dose. So, I will order something different.

Thanks!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karinala View Post
Hi all--haven't posted in a long time, but I am still going strong on JUDDD (since January 12) and have lost 55 pounds. This has actually been the least painful diet I have ever experienced, and I sometimes put on my smallest clothes thinking, 'now how did that happen?"
My actual question and reason for posting comes from my husband. He is interested in dropping some weight and has been watching my success. He is very concerned that if he doesn't eat he will have blood sugar issues. He is not diabetic, but has had low blood sugar issues occasionally with the shaky, frantic feelings connected until he eats something.
Anyone know how to answer him? I have not had a single sugar issue since I started, but that is me. I know I have finally found something that works for me and has gotten my metabolism back in gear. By the way, I do take the resveratrol, CoQ10 and Acetyl L Carnetine most every day. I learned to take them with food or else http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/im.../sick_2011.gif My down days I simply drink one SlimFast at noon, and have coffee with powdered creamer several times a day as my total calories. It makes for an easy day, with no planning involved and for now that is still my strategy. I want to lose about 20 more pounds, but already am at my lowest point of MANY years!
Any personal experiences with blood sugar would be appreciated.
I don't have diabetes, but suffered with hypoglycemia (feelings, not diagnosed) for years. I HAD to eat fairly quickly if I started getting hungry or I would get shaky, irritable, weak, nauseated, all the classics.

I had one or two "iffy" days when I first started, and have not had an issue ever since. I have even done a few complete fasts, with no issues. It's been said that IF and JUDDD help to heal such responses, and I'm a firm believer. Now, if I get hungry, it's just hunger. I don't worry about any of the other symptoms, because they simply don't happen.

I say, as long as he's not insulin-dependent, which he isn't, it should be fine. All he can do is try and see how he likes it.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

This is exactly what I need to hear about--personal experience. He has the same symptoms you described, which are classic.
The Resveratrol I take is from Giant Eagle (our grocery chain in PA) Nature's Basket brand and is 150mg. Says "plant sourced with red wine extracts"
Old 06-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Hi Karinala!
Congrats on the 55lbs!!!

Ok, everybody is different of course, but I'll share with you some of my experiences/opinions (not medical advice)!

First of all, does your hubby eat a low carb diet?
Second, does he have a blood glucose (bg) meter? Is he SURE his bg is getting low, or is he just assuming that those feelings are hypoglycemia? (more about this below*)

In many people, the hypoglycemia comes, paradoxically, from eating carbs.
BG goes up, insulin is released, bg comes down--perhaps too low. (reactive hypoglycemia)
*Or, it comes down to a normal level but it feels like low bg because that person is used to having high bg.*
My normal levels are over 100; if I go down to 80 (perfectly normal), I can feel pretty terrible.

If food is eaten frequently, the body is not in the habit of switching over from burning glucose to burning fat.

You know how sometimes you'll be desperately hungry, but if you are just too busy to eat or if you power through it, you'll feel fine?
And later when you get hungry again, your stomach might be making lots of noise & sending out SERIOUS hunger pangs, but you don't feel weak or desperate?
I *believe* that 1st hunger is the body running out of ready fuel--glucose or glycogen or whatever.
And it throws a tantrum like a bratty little kid!
THEN, when you ignore it, it switches over to burning fat.

If dh is not taking anything to lower bg, his body (liver especially) should be able to regulate his bg even if he goes long periods of time without eating.
The liver releases glucose or converts fat to glucose (hepatic gluconeogenesis).

If his liver is unhealthy in any way, it may be interfering with his bg.

Doing the Leptin Reset (Dr Jack Kruse) helped me go longer periods without eating.
So does eating STRICT low carb...but I never like to do that for very long!

I don't have much trouble with doing JUDDD and getting low bg;
--I did have to reduce my diabetes medication (the full dose makes me hungry)
--I feel better if I am moderate in my carb consumption
(I eat more than a diabetic should, probably. But if I eat something like bread or pasta, I have a small serving. Maybe 1/4 of what I used to eat.
And I avoid sugar most of the time, as well as all fruit except for berries once or twice a month.)
--I am careful with things that are supposed to lower blood sugar. Too much cinnamon, for example, makes me sick!

I think JUDDD has been great for my diabetes.
--I can eat more "naughtily" (refried beans omg!!!) than I used to without feeling sleepy or having rebound hunger.
--Now when my BG gets down to 80 or below, I usually feel fine! I get very excited about seeing those numbers!!!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-29-2012 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: grammar, punctuation
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I want to second piratejenny's question about whether he really KNOWS it's low blood sugar. in my experience, when people feel like their blood glucose is low, they are almost always wrong. it could be low blood pressure or something else entirely. it's an easy thing to blame that feeling on.

I know I am usually wrong when I think my blood sugar is low. And eating something can make me feel better, even when my blood sugar was plenty high to start with, so just because eating helps doesn't prove anything.

good luck
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the group knowledge on this topic. Hubby happens to be have celiac disease, so he eats a LOT of rice, but no wheat products (oat or rye either). We do happen to have a little blood sugar meter so maybe I can test him when the 'feeling' hits again, but odds are I won't be around. I know he hates feeling hungry, but he comes from a background where he knew extreme deprivation in childhood and I think it is all related. It will just come down to his needing to make the choice for himself whether to honestly try to drop some weight. He does not have a lot to lose, but I think he is probably at his heaviest weight ever. I am thinking about all that is being written, so many thanks!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, one way you can check whether he truly has BG issues is to test right before bed (preferably he will not have eaten for at least 2 hours) and then in the morning as soon as he wakes up, before he eats or drinks anything.

In a non-diabetic person, the BG in the morning will be lower, and/or in the "normal" range (under 100 but under 90 is better).

A higher BG in the morning could indicate diabetes, especially if it is over 100.
(Anything in the 90s could indicate pre-diabetes...but opinions differ.)

Just wanted to mention that since you might be able to remind him to test at those times if not the others.

Test for several days/nights in a row to determine a pattern. Home meters have an error margin of about 15-20%, so don't panic over or try to self-diagnose with just a few readings.
But having some data could be helpful if dh needs to see a doctor.

Which meter do you have?
I have used 4, and some are more reliable than others.
The meters themselves are often cheap or free, but the strips get expensive.
The most affordable I have found are ReliOn, which are sold at WalMart.
The meter measures a bit high (15pts higher than bloodwork done at a lab) but is consistent; if I measure my bg 2 or 3 times in a row, it reads within about 5 points.
So I trust it to show any patterns, and I just subtract 15pts from my results.

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-29-2012 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: grammar, punctuation
Old 06-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PS--I meant *my* specific meter, not necessarily the whole ReliOn line.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I always learn something from your posts, PJ. I use the Reli-On Micro meter - is that the one you use?

Congrats on all your losses, Karinala!

I can say that doing JUDDD and IF helped me deal with hunger and feelings of low BG. I never thought I'd be able to go without eating something every 3 hours or so due to irritability and whatnot, but JUDDD helped me in that way. I seem to be able to discern types of hunger now and I rarely experience that shakiness and "must eat now" feeling... though if it happens I definitely eat. I don't have diabetes but years ago my gyne saw something in my blood work that must have been "pre-" or maybe "pre-pre-" because his office called and put me on Metformin. Anyway, I think the advice the others gave is great and that your idea to test is right on. Let us know how he does.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
We have definitely had some diabetics who - even if they spread their eating out over the day - had to stop JUDDD because their blood glucose became too unstable.

And we have other diabetics who saw their blood sugar stabilize to amazing levels.

It does depend on individual metabolism and what else is going on internally.

Back in the bad old days I could not figure out why I was not diabetic. Sugars and refined carbs were my stress foods of choice and I had a classic spike/drop response to them. So, I began JUDDD eating four meals a day. And whittled it down gradually.

These days, for me, sweets and breads etc are just foods that taste good. No spike, no crash. If I want an energy burst, I drink coffee. And on DD I usually get most of my calories from liquids.

Frankly, the difference is worth my weight in gold. Not spiking and crashing - even when I eat ice cream - is heaven. That might or might not be your DH's reaction. But it might be worth trying.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 07-03-2012 at 05:01 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:20 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
I have reactive hypoglycemia and JUDDD has actually made the symptoms all but disappear. DD's I focus on protein based foods when I eat. I started at 700c on DD's and worked my way down to 450 - 550c. Up days I just couple whatever meal I am having with protein and all is well. I really haven't had issues since starting, but again, I revolve both days around what protein will keep everyting stable!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote