Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
With my body, as long as I have energy and feel good, I ignore the shivers. For me, shivers do seem to mean good things are happening.

But, no matter how cold or warm I am, if I feel low energy I decide today is not a fasting or very low calorie DD day and eat. Of course, I stay within DD levels that day. That low energy happened twice in the last month.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 07-02-2012 at 05:44 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Thanks Nancy, I am definitely listening to my body as I go, because the most important aspect of this JUDDD WOE for me is the healing benefits as well as the weight loss. I find it fascinating that just restricting calories can do so much for our brain as well as our longevity. And it is true that when we are sick, the reason we do not feel like eating is because our body is then concentrating on repair.

"A second prescribed benefit of fasting is the healing process that begins in the body during a fast. During a fast energy is diverted away from the digestive system due to its lack of use and towards the metabolism and immune system. (6) The healing process during a fast is precipitated by the body's search for energy sources."
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Total agreement. The health improvements are my primary motivator (although I can't say I mind looking in the mirror and sucking in my tummy).

I am overwhelmed by the idea my body is cleaning out junk and dying cells! YES!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LeenieX
Stats: 180/173/150 5'9"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 6/14/2012
I'm not hotter/colder than normal but man......gas on DD's and diarrhea on UD's are getting to me.
LeenieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Leenie, if you are having those digestive symptoms, it may be an intolerance/sensitivity to something you are eating, especially something you haven't been eating before.

If you read gharkness' post about her dh's experience, and clicked over to his blog post, he mentions UD diarrhea, and linked it to the broth he was using on DD's, that had msg in it (he has a wheat sensitivity).

You might also try adding some digestive enzymes if you can't pinpoint a food that might be the culprit.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LeenieX
Stats: 180/173/150 5'9"
Start Date: 6/14/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
Leenie, if you are having those digestive symptoms, it may be an intolerance/sensitivity to something you are eating, especially something you haven't been eating before.

If you read gharkness' post about her dh's experience, and clicked over to his blog post, he mentions UD diarrhea, and linked it to the broth he was using on DD's, that had msg in it (he has a wheat sensitivity).

You might also try adding some digestive enzymes if you can't pinpoint a food that might be the culprit.

Thanks. I keep mixing it up to try and shake the problem. I hope to have it figured out by the time I go on vacation, lol.
LeenieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
I love reading about the benefits of fasting, especially on a down day like today!
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I still am always cold on down days. Grateful for it, those are the days I can get out in the sun and actually enjoy it for 20 minutes. Otherwise, I have zero tolerance for heat above 72 degrees. That's when I get miserably sweaty and uncomfortable. Of course, I also LOVE cuddling under soft blankets and wearing fluffy sweaters.
It is natural to feel colder as the body works on other things while we fast.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #39
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I'm freezing RIGHT NOW. Last 2 DD nights I had to sleep in winter PJs, because my other half had the AC cranking.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Funny how cold cold we can get.. I for one.. have not had them any more.. i think i like that.. now i still wear winter clothes to bed reguardless,, i cant seam to create enough body heat when i get tired.. For ever yours in flannel
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Interesting discussion here!! I have read about this cold thing while losing weight in about 3 or 4 different diet books. One place I read about it was in "The Four Hour Body" and I also think Dukan talks briefly about it in his book. Dr. Oz even mentioned it in his discussion about brown fat. Remember when he took a bath in ice water on tv? Also, on the Biggest Loser TV show, did you notice that they take ice baths every afternoon in those big tin tubs??

Being cold is a sign that brown fat is being stimulated. Brown fat is the good fat and it stimulates the burning of white adipose tissue (bad fat that we are trying to get rid of.

You should do a google search to find out more about brown fat vs. white fat.

Oh, yeah, just remembered that in the back of Dukan's book where he gives extra tips, he goes into why it's good to keep the temperature low in your house, try to take a cold shower (and he details where you should aim the cold water), or sit with an ice pack on your neck, or chew on ice cubes.

When you are cold, your body actually has to work harder and burn more calories to keep itself at a safe core temperature.

[quote=ghostface;15763837]is getting cold on dd a "thing"? cause yesterday was a DD and I fasted except for a handful of popcorn, and I was freezing, but didn't attribute it to being a DD.[/QUOTE ]

Yep. When I'm cold like that on a DD and it's bothersome, I drink some SF, FF hot chocolate with a teaspoon or two of EVCoconut Oil stirred in 'til it melts. EVCO is thermogenic. For most people it will immediately raise your metabolism and burn more calories while not interfering with the fat burning process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimonkey View Post
Jenny

I have heard that about the cold meaning one is burning fat -- I'm not sure I entirely buy it, though. I do get cold when I am restricting calories a lot.

I am never cold on LC, interestingly enough -- and I have certainly burned fat quite successfully on that in the past.

When I first started with hcg, I had very high energy in p2 -- but that dropped off and was replaced with weakness and lethargy, which went hand in hand with freezing, too. Maybe it is the combination of low energy and cold that really signals trouble...??
I'm thinking you may have hit on something there. Lethargy is not a good thing and I agree with Nancy that if you are feeling really tired from hunger, EAT SOMETHING! And make it something nutritious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Nancy,

Just clarifying, do you believe that our body temp is telling us it is time to stop the fast? I have understood that this is the process of conserving energy but did not know if this is a sign of crisis. So, it is possible that it may mean the opposite of what we have been believing?
IMHO NO! It means put on a sweater, drink hot tea or do the EVCO or something else that will get your metabolism revved up.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Funny how cold cold we can get.. I for one.. have not had them any more.. i think i like that.. now i still wear winter clothes to bed reguardless,, i cant seam to create enough body heat when i get tired.. For ever yours in flannel
Kimberly: One reason you may not be having the coldness episodes right now is that your metabolism is in high gear all the time. Does not mean it will last forever. You may find that at another point in your JUDD journey, the cold spells will come back. I think it may be cyclical. While our bodies are healing and at the same time burning up our fat stores, the cold signals a healthy stimulation of brown fat. As we continue to move along, our metabolism speeds up and we will have seasons of not experience body coldness. Those may be the times when we should go soak in a cold swimming pool to get the action going again! Maybe??
Old 07-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #43
Blabbermouth!!!

And, they don't call it "firing up your metabolism" for nothin'! Fire = heat!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
lol.. ya know.. i have actually started to take ice showers after i work out due to ive hear that it can benifitt the body.. i dont know how muchi ts helping lose weight, but brrrr its sooo cold~ cant take an ice shower for long i tell ya
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is fascinating to me. Thanks YamYam for the info. I always end my shower with the coldest that I can bear shower. Since, Kimberly, brought this up I have been reading much more on our body temp and what is truly happening? On the Leptin Reset, one of the exercises beside ice baths and swimming that is suggested toward resetting our leptin sensitivity is sleeping in the cold (ice packs around the neck and stomach) and cold showers. Well, they call it Cold Thermogenesis but if you really want to understand why cold is helping us to burn fat, this explains it very well. Ray Cronise is a NASA scientist who studied how to lose weight by cold thermogenesis. He started doing the cold thermogenesis to help with his weight loss and he went from losing 1.6 lbs per week to 4.5 lbs per week.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #46
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm not freezing today- total fast so far, but it's about 95 degrees here and I'm not hot!
I'm shocked, but I didn't even miss my morning coffee! I frequently fast on DDs till dinner, but always had my coffee with a splash of half and half.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
This is fascinating to me. Thanks YamYam for the info. I always end my shower with the coldest that I can bear shower. Since, Kimberly, brought this up I have been reading much more on our body temp and what is truly happening? On the Leptin Reset, one of the exercises beside ice baths and swimming that is suggested toward resetting our leptin sensitivity is sleeping in the cold (ice packs around the neck and stomach) and cold showers. Well, they call it Cold Thermogenesis but if you really want to understand why cold is helping us to burn fat, this explains it very well. Ray Cronise is a NASA scientist who studied how to lose weight by cold thermogenesis. He started doing the cold thermogenesis to help with his weight loss and he went from losing 1.6 lbs per week to 4.5 lbs per week.

Ray Cronise at TEDMED 2010 - YouTube
Thank you for that! That was great! I think it was in "The Four Hour Body" that I read about Michael Phelps and the connection between him eating 12,000 calories a day and the swimming. All that time in cold water really does create thermogenisis and burn more calories. This is something to think about.

Still, I have never been able to bring myself to actually try taking an ice bath. At least I can get in a pool when I want to and now I'm motivated to do it more often!
Old 07-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I've been reading about this ice bath stuff for a while, but I don't have a tub or a place to keep 20lbs of ice!!! A lot of it sounds very cool but is terribly impractical for me. And I can't tell you how much I hate cold showers.
(It's a childhood punishment thing as well as actually living at different times with no electricity & having no choice)

What I thought I'd try is icy foot baths. Since I sit at the computer a few hours every day anyway...it's a perfect position/spot for a foot bath!
I bought a plastic tub with a lid a few weeks ago...of course I haven't tried it before today!!!
But I'm sitting here right now with my feet in cold water...got a pitcher of ice next to me to keep adding to the tub...hoping for the best!!!

On really hot days I've also been putting a bag of reusable ice cubes in a scarf and tying it around my neck. Feels so good, and no drips!
A couple days ago I put ice packs in my shorts pockets and then tucked the pockets into my underwear so they would be close to my skin (but not in direct contact). Also nice & cool!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I've been reading about this ice bath stuff for a while, but I don't have a tub or a place to keep 20lbs of ice!!! A lot of it sounds very cool but is terribly impractical for me. And I can't tell you how much I hate cold showers.
(It's a childhood punishment thing as well as actually living at different times with no electricity & having no choice)

What I thought I'd try is icy foot baths. Since I sit at the computer a few hours every day anyway...it's a perfect position/spot for a foot bath!
I bought a plastic tub with a lid a few weeks ago...of course I haven't tried it before today!!!
But I'm sitting here right now with my feet in cold water...got a pitcher of ice next to me to keep adding to the tub...hoping for the best!!!

On really hot days I've also been putting a bag of reusable ice cubes in a scarf and tying it around my neck. Feels so good, and no drips!
A couple days ago I put ice packs in my shorts pockets and then tucked the pockets into my underwear so they would be close to my skin (but not in direct contact). Also nice & cool!
Jenny, I totally understand about the showers. I am not sure that it is even doing anything for me except waking me up like nothing else! I
believe that an ice pack, (like your homemade one) around the midriff & another around the neck at bedtime is what I am reading a few have done. If you go to youtube and type in cold thermogenesis you can see a bunch of diff ideas. I use to detest being cold and sometimes my office becomes like a cooler but now that I know what it means on a DD, it isn't bothering me. I need the fat to keep melting away!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

In The Four Hour Body book the author tells you specifically about which parts of the body to "get cold" if you want to burn fat.

If I can remember where I put that book, I'll look it up and come back and post.

Also, in Dukan's book he says research is showing you don't have to get ice cold. He says 77 degrees works and recommends getting a thermometer and holding it under the shower until you get it at that 77 degree mark. Then I think he also tells you where to aim the water for the greatest effect.

I'll look that up, too and report back later.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
In The Four Hour Body book the author tells you specifically about which parts of the body to "get cold" if you want to burn fat.

If I can remember where I put that book, I'll look it up and come back and post.

Also, in Dukan's book he says research is showing you don't have to get ice cold. He says 77 degrees works and recommends getting a thermometer and holding it under the shower until you get it at that 77 degree mark. Then I think he also tells you where to aim the water for the greatest effect.

I'll look that up, too and report back later.

Thanks YamYam, you are a wealth of information. I really do like to read health books, but the problem is that I get distracted and don't finish. On the 77 degree mark, that would be fantastic!!! And it makes sense, because isn't that usually the temp of the pool? Except for in mid summer, I believe?
Old 07-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Sunday: I keep forgetting to tell you I love the quote in your siggy!

Now, after watching the video by Ray Cronise I've started wondering if global warming is contributing to the obesity epidemic????? Don't laugh. I have thoughts like these.

I have thought in the past that if farmers inject chickens and turkeys with hormones to make them grow big, then we eat those chickens and turkeys, aren't we eating those hormones, too? Is that why each generation is getting bigger and taller on average?

My 13 year old grand daughter wears size 12 shoes. My sister wears size 13. I wear size 11. Years ago no one even sold women't shoes that big!!!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Sunday: I keep forgetting to tell you I love the quote in your siggy!

Now, after watching the video by Ray Cronise I've started wondering if global warming is contributing to the obesity epidemic????? Don't laugh. I have thoughts like these.

I have thought in the past that if farmers inject chickens and turkeys with hormones to make them grow big, then we eat those chickens and turkeys, aren't we eating those hormones, too? Is that why each generation is getting bigger and taller on average?

My 13 year old grand daughter wears size 12 shoes. My sister wears size 13. I wear size 11. Years ago no one even sold women't shoes that big!!!
You are tall, so size 11 shoes sounds perfect for your height. Bless your grand daughter, does she play sports? Basketball or Volleyball?

I have always been a sz 7.5 to 8 shoe all my life. After meno and my fast weight gain, I am sz 9. It was very tough to give away some of my smaller shoes.

About the global warming... I don't know if Tim Ferris speaks in his book about the mountain folks in the Himalayas and other cold regions having longevity and no sign of obesity, but I was pretty impressed at the studies. Also, did you know Colorado has the highest mean elevation of any state in the U.S. and the lowest obesity rate, while states with high rates of obesity also tend to be located at lower elevations? I think I better move.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

This is interesting. I was born and raised high atop the Allegheny Mountains in Pennsylvania. It was freezing! Snow used to totally cover and bury our school. We could climb up and sled off the roof. It was like being in a cave sometimes because all the windows were buried in snow.

However, our little town was/is a coal mining town. We had a coal furnace and plenty of coal in the basement. My parents kept our house so hot it was like being in an oven.

I was a chunky little girl. I got chunkier and chunkier until I was 15 and my older brother asked me to read Dr. Stillman's new QWL book and do the diet with him. I lived with him and he didn't keep his house so hot. It was summer, too, and summers there are pretty chilly.

I lost 55 pounds. Hmmmmm. Interesting stuff to think about.

I would not move back to a cold climate for anything! Brrrrrrr! I hate being cold.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WantToBeSlim
Stats: 219.25/174/147
Start Date: October 1st 2012
I am glad I found this thread during my search of 'juddd feeling cold'. I am getting cold too. I did not really notice it at first. I've been JUDDDing 9 weeks now and I have been starting to get very cold within the last 2-3 weeks, mainly on my DD's but also on my UD's sometimes. It could just be that the temps have really been dropping here. The heating is on (but is useless in this house) but I often get so cold I have goose bumps, my feet often feel SO cold... the type of cold that if you accidentally bash your toes on something it hurts real bad lol.

I think I'm going to buy a nice thick warm cardigan or sweater to keep me warm at home because the useless boiler is just not doing the job for me.

Start weight 219.25 lb - UK size 22/24
Current weight 174 lb - UK size 16/18
Goal weight 147 lb - UK size 14
WantToBeSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 176/173.8/155 - 5'5
WOE: JUDDD*
I am always cold - especially when losing weight! My hands and feet are always freezing. I don't know what I would do without my flannel sheets and wool socks lol
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I still get cold on DDs, but not every one, so I figure maybe I'm losing better when I do get cold.

The one thing guaranteed to make me cold, up or down day-- if my back gets sweaty (TMI?) and I don't notice right away, I do get cold from the evaporation. I reach back, and am like OMG I'm going to freeze-- I learned that if I don't change right away, I get cold soooooo deeeeeep in my core, I need like a 20min hot shower to warm up.

So combine that with a DD-- like today, I ran around the mall shopping and when I got home, I was like UH OH... got changed and added a sweater, and had some tea.

Anyway-- yep, cold is still an issue here.
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #58
Big Yapper!!!!

Yup freezing in NY and not just on Dds
Old 12-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lee55
Stats: 198/194.4/160
Start Date: September 1, 2012
I have been JUDDDing for about 12 weeks now and I'm finding that in the last 3 or 4 weeks I get really cold on my DD's. I find my hands and feet are freezing at times. UD are not a bad. Hopefully, it helps to burn some extra calories.
Lee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #60
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I was back to being cold last weekend. I had to wear long sleeves inside and was still chilled. Since I am so cold natured I sometimes can't tell the difference between my regular alwyas feeling cold or the DD "extra" cold feeling.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote