Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Manday
Stats: 250/233/130 5'3"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 4/19/2012
Managing Water Weight

I just had the largest bounce since I've started JUDDD. I went up about 6-7lbs and back down again in a day. I know it was just water weight, but it was still a shock...not to mention an inconvenience (it's kind of hard to get anything done at work if I'm never at my desk ).

Soooooo....I know I've read some things on here about lemon in water and salt in water, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me specifically what they do to manage the water weight. I would dearly love to minimize the bounces and the extreme reaction to salt. I just feel like, if I cut out salt, then when I do eat some, I will, how did Adi put it? Oh, yeah, 'blow up like roadkill' . I also tend to feel that drinking water constantly will do the same thing...if I go without for a little bit longer than usual, I will blow up because my body will store it more.

Any thoughts, tips, or tricks?
Manday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Hi Manday.
I see you are like a human sponge too. I am so much better now that I started drinking a tiny amount of sea salt in my bottle of water along with the lemon juice. For years I never ate additional salt. never salted food, never added salt when cooking etc. Got used to no salt taste. BUT anytime I ate out and had pretty much anything with added salt I did swell up like roadkill. This summer I have been drinking the salt water and I can eat something salty and I don't react.
Now this experience is what happened to me and I have no idea if it would work with anyone else. I have gotten used to the tiny amount of salt in each bottle of water I drink and plain water just doesn't cut it anymore. But my slim ankles and loose shoes are worth it. I now drink water throughout the day (with salt) and don't feel that I make more bathroom visits than normal.
Good luck with combating the water weight.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
I'm glad to hear you are back down - my first thought was that it's always possible your scale needs to be checked, but if you are back down it must be water weight.

In addition to drinking enough water, your own cycle, and the effect of white flour (which will make me puff, for sure), a couple things that may also be happening are muscle retention of water after exercising (a good thing) and a lack of water-holding vegetables and fruits.

I did a rather intense workout yesterday that I know from experience will cause me to pop up at least a pound, and I was up 1.5. This is why it's best to take measurements at least 24 hours following a workout of the muscles, to get a true reading. And why we need a day off sometimes.

For your purposes in avoiding water weight, vegetables and fruits like cucumber, celery or apple - all the ones that obviously have water content - are wonderful in the diet, and if you would normally eat some (like most of us) but don't for a few days, there can really be some water weight. It's interesting. The impact of eating vegetables and fruits that are water-holding was first widely-read in Fit for Life by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond, a #1 best-seller back in the late 80s, and still a book I think is worth reading.

Don't forget that it's HOT, maybe. When the temperatures outside go up, our water consumption needs to, too. I read an article that said something like 50 percent of the people in North America are dehydrated by August. Yikes.

Last edited by Whitlin'; 06-27-2012 at 07:50 AM..
Whitlin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
My scale bounces six pounds or so also. Usually it is around a hormonal even, or before an actual loss. I gave up caring about the big bounce and just let her do what she is going to do.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
My trigger is usually sugar and I can bounce up 4-5 pounds if I have more than just a little bit. Having it two days in a row can bounce me up 7-8 pounds and is enough that my clothes fit tighter. Hmmmm......maybe if I start having a little bit every day the effect would lessen? LOL No, not willing to try that.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyL View Post
My trigger is usually sugar and I can bounce up 4-5 pounds if I have more than just a little bit. Having it two days in a row can bounce me up 7-8 pounds and is enough that my clothes fit tighter. Hmmmm......maybe if I start having a little bit every day the effect would lessen? LOL No, not willing to try that.
I wish it would work with sugar too. But.......probably not.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
For me, water weight rise and fall is most noticeable with the two hormonal times of the month and after I have a higher carb day. I go up 2-4lbs depending, but it always goes back down within a few days or a week at the very most. For me personally, I've found that no matter what I do to try to manage that water weight (drinking tons more water, eating or drinking stuff with with diuretic effects, going extremely low carb, eating clean, sleeping more, and a gazillion other methods), the results are pretty much the same as if I do absolutely nothing to manage the water weight. The only difference might be that the water weight goes down a day or two earlier. It's just too much hassle for me to worry about that bounce up in what I know is water weight, because I know it'll go back down. It's actually more stressful for me to keep trying all these different methods to avoid that inevitable bounce or to try to bring that bounce down faster than to just let it be and go up and down on its own.

I didn't always feel this way though, and before JUDDD I understood little about my body and about water retention and how my body puts on actual weight/loses weight, so water weight stressed me out a lot. After I started tracking everything I ate along with daily weighing and the hormonal times of the month and saw the same water weight bounces again and again to the point where I could predict them, I realized that due to the way I eat (which I'm happy about and have no wish to change) and the way my body functions, I would get those water weight fluctuations no matter what and really, since it always went back down, I needed to stop stressing myself out and let it go. Sometimes when my pants get tighter from a high water retention day, I'm tempted to do something about it, but I just end up ignoring it in the end.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Girls, the one thing you can look forward to after menopause is no more water weight!!! I never weighed myself before menopause, but I could always tell when I was close to TOM because my rings were tight and my pants were snugger. I felt & looked different! I can even tell when my daughter who is 2 inches shorter and built much smaller is coming up on TOM.

My bounces are not near as much now as when I first began JUDDD. Thankfully I knew instantly that the highest bounce up which was about 2.5 lbs was the sugar I indulged in the day before.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
My trick is...POTASSIUM!!!

I've read that the reason we retain water when we eat salt is not just because of the salt itself, but because of a lack of other minerals & electrolytes that are needed to flush out the extra sodium.

I started taking potassium to lower my blood pressure, and noticed that it helped with water retention issues (my hands & feet get very itchy. That kind of drives me crazy--it's not just the scale bounces!). I take it twice a day, and take an extra dose if I eat something super-salty, like Chinese food or potato chips.

I don't think I've lost any extra weight because of it, but if I stop taking it, I'll definitely go up a couple pounds.

I know it can be unsafe to take too much potassium, but just for info purposes, I take about 400-500mg 2x per day. To save money, I filled gel caps with NuSalt*...I tried putting it on food, but I don't like the flavor and wasn't getting as much as I needed to feel better.

*Potassium supplements can by law only contain 99mg per pill, and I was taking 8 per day--inconvenient & more expensive than NuSalt, 1/6tsp of which contains 530mg of potassium chloride.

PS--I just figured out that a 3oz container of NuSalt contains the equivalent of 450 potassium pills @ 99mg each!!!
And I think I paid about $2.30 for this container.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-27-2012 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: *, PS
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Water retention is a hormonal situation that, alas, does not [always] disappear with menopause (I'm post-menopausal).

I can weigh 5 lbs heavier in the pm than in the am--entirely due to water retention.

Unlike the 'olden days' when I could predict my TOM water issues, they now occur randomly.

My body also likes to retain water if I'm even slightly ill--a cold, the flu--retaining water instantly. Last month, I had surgery on my finger--just local anesthetic (like at the dentist), and a 10-minute procedure--and my body retained 4 lbs of water for several days.

My BP is ideal and I'm careful to maintain a good electrolyte balance, but the water issues are just a part of my life.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Manday
Stats: 250/233/130 5'3"
Start Date: 4/19/2012
Thank you all for your suggestions and commiserating.

Piratejenny, thank you for mentioning potassium! I can't belive i forgot about that! I've been harping on my mother to up her potassium intake to try to get off at least one of her 3 bp medications! I will look into the nusalt and givr that or moregreens and bananas a try.

I love this board. I knew darn well it was just water weight but it still made me so mad i wanted to throw the scale and you guys, well mostly gals, let me vent and helped me out too!

Ps...sorry for any typos...I'm typing on my phone
Manday is offline   Reply With Quote