Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: skinnamarink
Stats: 39/38.5/32 (waist in.) 5'5" tall
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 23, 2012
How often to update the Calorie Calculator?

Hi... I'm new here and I've been reading through hundreds of posts. You guys are all so supportive and helpful! The search function isn't working for me, so I hope this hasn't been asked a million times. I can't find the answer anywhere.

As you lose weight, are you supposed to update the calorie calculator on the JUDDD site to get new numbers, reflecting your actual weight at the time?

I'm confused because the calculator gives you numbers based on your weight, but that should be changing as time goes by.

And once you reach your goal weight, do you adjust the calculator for a final time, inputting your new lower weight, and just select a "maintenance" DD number?

Thanks!
skinnamarink is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnamarink View Post
Hi... I'm new here and I've been reading through hundreds of posts. You guys are all so supportive and helpful! The search function isn't working for me, so I hope this hasn't been asked a million times. I can't find the answer anywhere.

As you lose weight, are you supposed to update the calorie calculator on the JUDDD site to get new numbers, reflecting your actual weight at the time?

I'm confused because the calculator gives you numbers based on your weight, but that should be changing as time goes by.

And once you reach your goal weight, do you adjust the calculator for a final time, inputting your new lower weight, and just select a "maintenance" DD number?

Thanks!
I think you have everything right! Yes, as you lose weight, you can go to the calculator and enter your "current" weight. Then, when you reach goal weight you enter that and choose maintenance on the drop down menu. Pretty simple, huh? Now, let's do it!!!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!

Depending on how much you have to lose, you may never need to adjust. I have a lot to lose and have adjusted a few times. However; I adjusted too low once and quit losing, so I wouldn't recommend recalculating very often. Save it for when/if you stop losing.

I hope that makes sense.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
and also above.

I've only been on since April, and while I do check my numbers when I lose, they don't go down drastically pound by pound.

I started JUDDD at 258 I think, and now I'm 242 (yay! since April 1st!) and there's maybe 100 cal difference on my up days from starting around 2250 or something (maybe even 2300 I don't remember b/c I never ate that much) and now it says 2197.

But I do look at it as I progress downward b/c I think it's kind of cool-- like, I'm getting smaller, and my body doesn't need quite as much fuel.

But like Dawn says above, no need to really worry about it day to day, just now and then, and if you stall, take a look, b/c it will give you some numbers to play with (maybe you can do higher down days and lower up days, or vice versa, or just shake it up a bit, which is what I'm doing this week).

Give it a go, it's really pretty easy!
Soren

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Thanks so much everyone! And congrats on the weight loss, Soren!!

The only scale I have in the house is the Wii Fit board. I never weigh myself, because that number doesn't really mean anything to me. What I need to focus on is inches lost around my waist. I've got that dangerous belly fat. So I won't be weighing as much as measuring.

So I'll probably just monitor the inches and if I seem to be stalling, I'll check my weight and see if I need to adjust?

Also... according to the calculator, my numbers for up/down should be 1685/337. Is it okay if I just start with 2000/400? It's not that much difference, and it's easier to remember. I'm on Day 4 now (an up day) and I'm finding it hard to eat up to 2000 calories, but on the other hand I was hungry on my down day at 400 cal. so I don't know if I could make it at 337. I assume (hope?) the down days get easier as the time goes by, and then I can lower everything down to what the calculator recommends.

Another question: After the first two weeks, do most people raise their DD to 25-35% or keep it at 20%?

Again, thanks so much for your help!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Most people keep the DD number at 20%, regardless of exercise or anything else. Some give themselves a range on DD, so your 20, 25, and 30 and 35% numbers would all be considered "loss" numbers-- and that gives you some wiggle room if you have a very hungry DD (and yes, they get easier... I'm having a better DD today than I did 2 days ago).

re: your up day number. I have to say that I wouldn't go up by 400 calories. without knowing your height/weight/age, I can't say for sure, but if you average it out, over 10 days that just over 1lb of calories (1lb is 3500 calories). This whole thing works on calories more than anything else, so I wouldn't go that way.

*ding-- I just realized you meant the "induction" phase of 2000/500 from the website and book!
If you're a smaller person, and by your numbers I think you are, a bit, I'd still not do it quite that way, if it were me.

Maybe you do 1800 on the UD to start with allowance to go to 2000 if needed, and then 500 on the dd, and see where that gets you?

If you don't lose, lower the UD to 1700 and DD to 450, etc.

Just a thought
S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
I tend to be a bit of a purist. But it is my belief that this woe is very calorie sensitive. If your UD cal is 1685 and you eat 2,000, you will be eating roughly 945 more calories per week, 3,780 per month than has been advised. You need a 3,500 cal deficit to lose one pound. Not to mention what you are adding to you DD. When I ate 500 cal DD after the first two weeks I lost nothing until I went with the 300 cal that were calculated for me.
Please note that this is only the way I choose to practice Juddd. It is not by any means the only way or the best way. It is simply the way that is successful for me. I can only give advise based on my experiences. It is my belief that this woe is the most successful when one keeps their rotations and respects their calories. To do otherwise does not give as good of results. ... At least not for me.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
*ding-- I just realized you meant the "induction" phase of 2000/500 from the website and book!
Yes, that's was I was referring to... although I was using 2000/400 since that is 20%. 2000/500 is 25%.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
It is my belief that this woe is the most successful when one keeps their rotations and respects their calories. To do otherwise does not give as good of results. ... At least not for me.
Okay, so it's best to stick with what the calorie calculator says then. Will try that then.

Thanks so much!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/120/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
I tend to be a bit of a purist. But it is my belief that this woe is very calorie sensitive. If your UD cal is 1685 and you eat 2,000, you will be eating roughly 945 more calories per week, 3,780 per month than has been advised. You need a 3,500 cal deficit to lose one pound. Not to mention what you are adding to you DD. When I ate 500 cal DD after the first two weeks I lost nothing until I went with the 300 cal that were calculated for me.
Please note that this is only the way I choose to practice Juddd. It is not by any means the only way or the best way. It is simply the way that is successful for me. I can only give advise based on my experiences. It is my belief that this woe is the most successful when one keeps their rotations and respects their calories. To do otherwise does not give as good of results. ... At least not for me.

I believe you are ever so correct!

Now I just have to follow what you said

I am having a very rought time this month, scale going the wrong way

Having gained 3 # this month

If one follows Dr. J. then one surely will lose
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:17 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Hang in, Leonak. Today I'm up 3 lb after a DD. Bodies are crazy and mysterious some days. Some months! Sending you relaxed, happy, loser vibes!
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
I started on 04/18 and am down 16.6 pounds and am still losing. I haven't redone my numbers since, it is still working!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
I've pretty much stayed at the same level the whole time. I want to try and keep my calorie allotment as high as I possibly can and still lose; I know at some point I may need to cut my UD calories, but for now I'm doing just fine.

I want to end up at maintenance with a very generous number of calories more than I want to lose quickly. The more calories I'll have at maintenance, the easier it'll be for me to do this forever. I know I'm older and that factors in and things may be different now, but the many years I ate "Juddd-esque", I could eat like a horse and did not have a weight problem. So I'm trying to re-engineer my metabolism, and so far, it's working.

Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Sheridan, I think that you will be greatly surprised. Right before I went into maintenance I recalculated my numbers and it told me to go from 1,500 calories UD to 1,440 calorie UD. I decided to maintain instead of losing another three pounds and recalculated for maintenance. I took my new DD calories above 300 and added them to my new UD calories which gave me UD of about 1,850. I lost more weight during my first week of maintenance. I am eating more than ever on my UD and can even go as high as 60% and 2,000 calorie UD while keeping my DD at 300. There is so much food on UD that DD are very comfortable. I too was worried that my maintenance calories would be too skimpy, and in fact they average only up to 1,150/day, but they feel very lush. And I am still at a calorie deficit at my present weight. Eventually it will all balance out and I will stop losing and my body will find a weight to maintain on.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote