Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WillBeSkinnyMom
Stats: 157/138/125
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: LC 6/4/12 JUDDD 7/18/12
JUDD vs Low carb?

Hey everyone

I decided to look up JUDDD because I've seen so many people raving about it.

Who has done LC before JUDDD? Does it work better? If so, why?
Do most people try to eat low carb on JUDD?
Is it easier than LC for you?

I have no background knowledge at all, so I thought I'd ask.
WillBeSkinnyMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Hi Willbe. Lots of LC and nonLC people here. JUDDD doesn't tell you what to eat, which is kind of beautiful. I'm to sure where to begin, so I'll suggest you read the sticky threads at the top of the Juddd page. They include heaps of useful information. Then ask away. This is a wonderful group of people and a wonderful WOE. Glad to have you here.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
There are some here who still low carb while doing JUDDD> The beauty of JUDDD is.. if you choose to bend your low carb life style and eat something that the low carb program says iis not allowed... on JUDDD you can eat it and still lose weight.. I would not say juddd is fast.. what i would say is,, JUDDD is stable,healthy.. and a plan i can eat forever.. even when i am old and grey.. I feel great!~
Also i wanted to add.. One plan is not "better" than the other.. they both have there own bennifts.. so i would say they are just differnt.
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 06-26-2012 at 12:02 PM..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LeenieX
Stats: 180/173/150 5'9"
Start Date: 6/14/2012
I did LC for a month, and it just wasn't working for me. JuDDD is easier for me and I seem to be losing steadily, if not quickly.
LeenieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
I've done much better with JUDDD v. low carb.

Everyone is different, though.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SpinDizzie
Stats: 283/203/130
WOE: Moderate Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 6/4/12 start:205 current:202
To me, JUDDD is more of a technique than a "diet." It can work with pretty much any WOE one prefers. JUDDD itself is calorie restriction, but done in a much more liveable way. It sucks to eat 800 calories every single day, but 500 (or less) every other day is so easy. At least for me. At least right now, lol. I just started this recently. I do like a moderate carb intake. I did okay on low carb, but feel better with a little higher intake. I just hope I don't get the problem with this technique that I had with WW, in where it was too easy to justify choosing crap food instead something more wholesome because I didn't go over my points. XD
SpinDizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBeSkinnyMom View Post
Hey everyone

I decided to look up JUDDD because I've seen so many people raving about it.

Who has done LC before JUDDD? Does it work better? If so, why?
I did LC before JUDDD and I lose much better with JUDDD. Everyone is different though, and I am lucky to not have any carb sensitivities.
Do most people try to eat low carb on JUDD?
I would't say "most" people eat low carb on JUDDD. We have people following all different plans here, including low carb.
Is it easier than LC for you?
JUDDD is the easiest thing I've ever done to lose weight. It's fun, sustainable, and I never, ever feel deprived.

I have no background knowledge at all, so I thought I'd ask.
Hope these answers help!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goose1
Stats: 229/193.2/166.4/140
WOE: lchf
Start Date: Jan 02/14
I'm doing both low carb and JUDDD. I'll stick with low carb eating because I feel much healthier when I do. Also my husband is pre diabetic so its best for him to stay low carb as well.

If I do low carb and not counting calories I can maintain my weight perfectly, but I can't lose. So I have to count caolories with low carb, but I hate doing that everyday. I hoping that JUDDD will get things moving again, I'll find out tomorrow, it'll be my first weekly weigh in.
goose1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
I was on Atkins for 3 month before JUDD and I am still continuing LC because higher carbs= more cravings for me. I feel the best anywhere from 5-40 gr of carbs a day (mostly from veggies and fruits). I did try to add more carbs when I started JUDD but my body revolted with binging so I am limiting my carbs now. I read that lots of people eventually are able to eat more carbs and some do add carbs right from the start without any problem. Good luck!!!
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
There's great info about JUDDD on this site (stickies at the top of the JUDDD section) and on the Dr Johnson site.

My personal experience is this:

I've been LC since 2003. I lost almost 60lbs, relatively easily, though I started to tweak (paleo, dairy free, etc) toward the end (i.e. June 2004, when I got married). My DH was also LC, and he of course lost around 100+ lbs.

Over the years after the wedding, we had carb creep, though we'd always remained pretty much LC.
But sf chocolates, and LC bread, and an "off" meal, which turns into a day, which turns into a weekend... And a vacation here and there... you see where this is going?
Both DH and I gained everything back.

Flash to 2012-- knowing that we would, once again, kick off the new year re-dedicated to LC, I managed to eat my face off and go even higher than my previous high weight.

I did well with LC in January and most of February. Then, things stalled.
Like you, I started to read about and get interested in JUDDD. On my own in March, I started to do LC with a bit of calorie restriction-- just trying to eat less on a daily basis.

Hmm, not bad, I thought. I read more about JUDDD, and on April 1st, I decided to take the plunge.

Thought it was going to be a nightmare, and it truly ISN"T!!! Yes, some down days are hungrier than others, but hey, there's hormones and all sorts of things that happen to us.

What I love about JUDDD is that there's less/none of the all-or-nothing mentality of LC (especially Atkins).

JUDDD does still advocate lower carb-- if you read the book, he says stay away from processed crap, simple carbs, etc. His menus are very similar to the maintenance plan in Atkins.

The difference is this-- you are not *relying* on ketosis for the weight loss. So if you have 100cal of popcorn, it probably won't stall your loss.

In my *personal* experience, as well as what a lot of advice I've seen on the boards here says, is this: if you are LC, and you want to add carbs back in, do it slowly, b/c you will likely gain back that water weight you lost when you started LC.
I'm experimenting with some carbs, and I find the above to be true.

So as I do JUDDD, I'm trying to do it LC or lower carb anyway, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm able to plan for a night out, and if I do fall off the wagon and eat whatever I see for a week (sigh-- my last business trip ) I am able to get right back into the rotations of up and down days, and that weight comes off pretty quick.

I have to say-- I did stall for about a month, so don't think JUDDD is a magic bullet to no stall rapid weight loss. But I think it's a more liveable program, one that you can tailor to your lifestyle, and you can do a lot with it and feel good about yourself and food.

wow, that was a bit of a rant but that's how I feel

Love JUDDD!

Soren.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
For me, JUDDD works better than low-carb because low-carb had come to be associated with deprivation for me. Low-carb meant passing on fruit, and oatmeal, and potatoes of any sort, bread, all the foods that I most enjoy. So I was constantly thinking of what I couldn't have and was unhappy. I scheduled a cheat day once every two weeks but it wasn't enough.

With JUDDD I can have the foods that I love the best at least every other day. I often eat them on my down days, too. And I get to lose weight and still eat what I enjoy? Heaven.

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Acor
Stats: 160/128/115 5'2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Loca View Post
For me, JUDDD works better than low-carb because low-carb had come to be associated with deprivation for me. Low-carb meant passing on fruit, and oatmeal, and potatoes of any sort, bread, all the foods that I most enjoy. So I was constantly thinking of what I couldn't have and was unhappy. I scheduled a cheat day once every two weeks but it wasn't enough.

With JUDDD I can have the foods that I love the best at least every other day. I often eat them on my down days, too. And I get to lose weight and still eat what I enjoy? Heaven.
This is exactly it for me. I'm losing more slowly with JUDDD than LC, but I just don't care. It's so great to know that, when the weight is gone, I've found something I can stick to for life - which means I won't have gained it all back in 6 months.
Acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I am trying to stay lc paleo while JUDDDing until I reach goal! But you can bet, that I will be having lots of wonderful yummy stuff to celebrate the "goal day" event. I see JUDDD as a great way to live from here on out and as Kimberly says, JUDDD will benefit me the most in my elder years.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
It's not really an either or thing for me, since I choose to eat fairly low carb most of the time because I love the taste of naturally high fat/low carb type food, and also because I have allergy/sensitivity issues that pretty much cuts out a huge section of high carb foods. That said, eating very low carb by itself stalled me for about 5 months and my weight was actually creeping up a bit even. Doing JUDDD along with eating fairly low carb was the only way I was able to lose. I also very much appreciate the option of eating a bit higher in carb level regularly with healthy carbs like veggies, and even the occasional high carb day with any kind of carbs that my body can tolerate. Mentally, this is huge for me. I've had all kinds of other physical and mental benefits from JUDDD and I feel that I can eat this way forever.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I was LCing on and off for a while before Juddd. And before that I was paleo, and before that i was vegan, and before that I was a starving eat-like-a-French-woman, and before that ....
Anyway, the thing I love about Juddd is that I don't feel that horrible pendulum swing happening. I used to feel it in the middle of a WOE, like the pressure to break out and consume all the "wrong" stuff was building. It's like the WOE was doomed almost from the beginning, even while I was losing.
I don't feel that anymore, perhaps because I can eat anything.
Now, I'm still a bit cautious about sugary stuff that makes me nuts and ravenous, but I am slowly but surely including everything I want back in my diet.
Your question is excellent. Thanks for it..
(And holy mackerel, I forgot to mention that I've finally lost the weight I've been trying to lose since I was in high school! Forgot that bit!)
Old 06-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
I was LC but stalled and came to Juddd. I still try to watch my carbs but don't go crazy. Some I eat some I choose not to. I have recently reached goal on Juddd and cannot praise it enough! You should be very happy here. Good luck!
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kare30bear
Stats: 5' 3": 201(16/17)/137.4(5/6)/120(?)
WOE: LC/JUDDD (6/20/12)
Start Date: LC 3/7/11; restarted LC 4/30/12; JUDDD 6/20/12
I do LC with JUDDD, just started on the 20th and am down 7 lbs already, but more importantly I feel more in control of my eating and less deprived. If I really want to eat something that isn't LC I COULD, but I still haven't incorporated much of the processed items back in. I like that I can now eat fruit and more veggies and nuts in moderation.

Both plans are challenging in their own ways, but I feel like combining the 2 has been the perfect balance for me and am happy that I chose to go this route.

Whichever one you do choose, it is important not to be discouraged by the weight fluctuations and to pay particular attention to how you "feel." Even though I wasn't losing steadily with LC all the time I finally realized that how I feel eating that way vs. how I felt when eating all the garbage foods was more important. Down days may feel like the pits at time (in JUDDD) but it's only a short period and then you're onto a fabulous day of food again, it's a nice balance.
kare30bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Joy Joy it's nice to put a face to the posts. You are absolutely gorgeous!
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:56 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brehede
Stats: 283/264/140
WOE: LC JUDDD
Start Date: January 2012
I am another LC JUDDD follower. I find that I feel better fairly LC and don't feel hungry. JUDDD works much better for me than straight LC because I struggle with restricting cals & JUDDD makes that much easier! I never feel deprived and I love that I can occasionally have a meal with carbs if out etc. and it doesn't mean that I have fallen the wagon!

I am grateful to have read about JUDDD on this site!
brehede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I can't say enough for JUDDD! I've done LC in the past with success, but not recently. My first month on JUDDD was VLC, but that was just too restrictive. I've intoduced most carbs back in, but don't go crazy with them. I feel very free on JUDDD and I did not feel that way on LC the last few times I tried.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
Thanks Muff. I prefer seeing everyone's beautiful faces. There's also something about coming out of hiding after almost three months here.
I love Juddd. And juddders.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Buttercup204
Stats: 204/197/165
WOE: NK/JUDDD
I have a mixture. Some days I choose mostly low carb foods because it helps me mange my hunger but when that deprivation feeling starts to set in, I have a higher carb day or even just one higher carb meal and feel better. I drink protein shakes throughout my DDs and that helps mitigate hunger and my adherence is much higher when I do. Still I find I am losing at my body's own pace. I lost 11-12 lbs the first two weeks then it pretty much stalled out because I added back carbs into my UDs. So I'm doing a trial and error thing. I've been sticking to this plan better than any other I have in the past so that is great to me. Plus I think my body needed to process the quick change that happened at first. Now it seems to be back on track. I'm happy and now I think I'm ready to get back to my favorite exercise: running. Hopefully now I won't suffer shinsplints like when I am heavier. Welcome and good luck! This WOE does work and it does take some trial and error and customizing to find out out what works for you. I couldn't run on Atkins because I just had no energy for my runs. I guess I'm just not very good at burning fat lol. Now that I eat a few more carbs, I run faster and more easily again. Now to keep going.

-Michelle
2nd Mini-goal: 190
3rd Mini-goal: 185
4th Mini-goal: 180
5th Mini-goal: 175
6th Mini -goal: 170
Goal: 155-165 & size 8/10 or whatever weight gets rid of my wobbly bits!

Last edited by Buttercup204; 06-30-2012 at 07:28 PM..
Buttercup204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:42 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
Ditto!!! Great pic too
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote