Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skuma
Stats: 220/213/120
WOE: Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: January 27, 2012
anyone done judddd while pregnant..

yip pregnant!! totally unexpected but totally excited, this is number 2!! i was wondering if alot of women have really bad morning sickness and dont eat during the first 3 months, cant i do judddd?
skuma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goose1
Stats: 229/193.2/166.4/140
WOE: lchf
Start Date: Jan 02/14
You shouldn't try to lose weight while pregnant. You will need a few extra calories for the baby to grow and be healthy. If your concerned about weight gain, I would eat a lower carb diet. Congrats on the baby!

Last edited by goose1; 06-26-2012 at 08:32 AM..
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Congrats on the great news! I would think it would not be healthy. Your best bet is to eat healthy fats and low carb and you should be able to jump right back into JUDDD post partum.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
it is pretty natural to have variations up and down with calorie levels from day to day. If you picked a good high number for both up and down (like upper maintenance with exercise levels) no reason you couldn't do a variant of juddd. I would be absolutely psychotic about the quality of what I ate were I you, and make CERTAIN you are getting all of the pregnancy nutrients you need from food. It won't be free and easy as you need to do a lot of research and track everything like a lunatic, but let's face it, you have human chorionic gonadotropin coursing through your system. Women's bodies are designed to protect the baby. A lower fat, controlled diet will help your body feed the baby and allow you to get a little healthier. I'm not a big proponent of lowfat, but with the hcg your body will be receptive to less fat, more fresh food.
Also, join a really good pregnancy fitness class to help tone up and get your body ready for the birth. Congratulations!

Last edited by b_lou_who; 06-26-2012 at 08:34 AM..
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4

No experience in that myself, but if you are thinking of doing something like JUDDD or IF (intermittent fasting) just for health reasons, I think there *might* be a safe way to calorie cycle, with relatively high DDs. Or, skip eating early in the day and eat in a "window" of 5-8 hours.

Since some of the complaints of pregnancy are fatigue, back pain, digestive problems, and edema, and IF often reduces such symptoms, perhaps it's a match made in heaven! Also, it seems we use nutrients more efficiently and heal more rapidly when calorie-cycling or IFing. Seems like that could be beneficial during pregnancy.

For thousands of years (and even today in much of the world), the supply of food has varied from day to day. I think it's very natural for us to eat more on some days and less on others; or to have days where we feast for a few hours but don't eat again at all for 18-24 hours.

Since there are billions of people who fast for religious reasons several times a year, I'm sure there's a lot of info/discussions on whether it's safe for pregnancy. (Googled "religious fasting while pregnant")

But if you are undernourished in any way...well, I have friends who have lost teeth after years of pregnancy & nursing!!! Take good care of yourself!!!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
skuma, do a search and check out the two other threads about this, "Doing JUDDD while pregnant?" and "Pregnancy and JUDDD".

Fascinating question (big congratulations, btw! ). Does the book say anything about this? I'm away from home. I'd say "no" if Dr. Johnson did, but I don't remember that he did?

Nancy, in the Sticky-ed thread at the top of the forum, mentions that any condition in which a "steady stream of energy is needed" would not work with JUDDD, but she doesn't specifically mention pregnancy. It gives me pause, though.

I don't consider JUDDD to be in any way detrimental to health. So, factoring in that "you are eating for two now" and should consult with a dr to determine an ideal birthing-day weight you can both agree on, for which you will aim, I'd consider a maintenance calculation. Meet your UD calories faithfully each time, with an eye to the best of nutrition.

I would NOT use the "little to no exercise" option. Frankly, I don't believe a pregnancy can qualify for that, because you are literally requiring more of your body, even at rest. If you choose to exercise, consider the moderate calculator level of activity.

Just glancing at the calculator for me, with moderate activity and 55 percent maintenance, that would be about 1,150 DDs and 2,170 UDs to consider, and I think, remembering my pregnancies and my JUDDD history (which didn't happen at the same time), that's doable. Do recalculate when necessary!

If you ever felt true hunger on a DD, though, let that DD go. It's not important in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited by Whitlin'; 06-26-2012 at 10:19 AM..
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I think you could make it work with high DD's and higher UD (1200/2400 is likely what I might try). As well as being extra vigilant with my food choices--whole foods, lots of protein, healthy fats like olive and coconut oil, fruits and veggies, and of course, a good prenatal vit with enough folic acid. But do google fasting and pregnancy and do your own research before deciding.

And I agree that if you were scheduled for a DD, but felt extra hungry, I'd just go with it as it might be time of extra growth for baby or something.

Congrats!!!!! And best wishes for a healthy pregnancy and baby.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Henush
Stats: 220
WOE: JUDDD/Fast-5
Start Date: Restart - September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post

No experience in that myself, but if you are thinking of doing something like JUDDD or IF (intermittent fasting) just for health reasons, I think there *might* be a safe way to calorie cycle, with relatively high DDs. Or, skip eating early in the day and eat in a "window" of 5-8 hours.

Since some of the complaints of pregnancy are fatigue, back pain, digestive problems, and edema, and IF often reduces such symptoms, perhaps it's a match made in heaven! Also, it seems we use nutrients more efficiently and heal more rapidly when calorie-cycling or IFing. Seems like that could be beneficial during pregnancy.

For thousands of years (and even today in much of the world), the supply of food has varied from day to day. I think it's very natural for us to eat more on some days and less on others; or to have days where we feast for a few hours but don't eat again at all for 18-24 hours.

Since there are billions of people who fast for religious reasons several times a year, I'm sure there's a lot of info/discussions on whether it's safe for pregnancy. (Googled "religious fasting while pregnant")

But if you are undernourished in any way...well, I have friends who have lost teeth after years of pregnancy & nursing!!! Take good care of yourself!!!
Congrats on the great news! I just wanted to qualify this statement about religions and fasting.

Having fasted myself during pregnancy for religious purposes, there were always several considerations that were discussed each time before my rabbi made the decision whether or not I should fast. It made a difference how far into the pregnancy I was, and how well I was feeling at the time. Also, even extremely early in the pregnancy, the times I did fast, I was required to rest in bed the entire day with a bottle of juice on the bedside table "just in case". I was strictly instructed that if, for any reason at all, I felt weak, dizzy, nauseous, etc, I was to drink the juice and break my fast. After all, the health of the baby outweighs all other considerations.

Having been on IV parenteral nutrition for a chunk of my pregnancy because my body couldn't tolerate or keep down anything, including water, I can tell you first hand that fasting and pregnancy don't work. But, if you did go into maintenance levels, I think that might be safe.
Henush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LightlyStarched
Just remember that human brains are mostly composed of fat. Do you like little fishes like sardines, herring etc? This would be a great time to make sure you're getting plenty of omega-3 fats for the baby's brain development.

And I personally couldn't have done JUDDD while pregnant. I was hungry all the time! Why be miserable. Just eat sensibly and diet after baby is born.

Breastfeeding burns tons of calories!

Last edited by LightlyStarched; 06-27-2012 at 06:02 AM..
LightlyStarched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /166/149? 5ft 6 1/2 in. Age 42
WOE: LC-My Way start 1/27 then JUDDD on 3/12 2 171.5lbs
Start Date: Jan 27,2013 at 199 for the LAST time!
bump for Elise
Kimberli33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
WTG on the bumps, Kim. At first I didn't look at the dates, didn't realize you were bumping for Elise and I was like "Holy preggers JUDDD Budds! Is it in the water or something?"

Good friend, you.

Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Baby bumps!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Baby bumps!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/152/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
Thanks for the bump. at first I didnt look at the date and thought there was something crazy in the JUDDD water. I had a nice dd and am feeling that lovely calm set in. I can do this...heck if its a boy I just might name him Judd
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /166/149? 5ft 6 1/2 in. Age 42
WOE: LC-My Way start 1/27 then JUDDD on 3/12 2 171.5lbs
Start Date: Jan 27,2013 at 199 for the LAST time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstate View Post
Thanks for the bump. at first I didnt look at the date and thought there was something crazy in the JUDDD water. I had a nice dd and am feeling that lovely calm set in. I can do this...heck if its a boy I just might name him Judd
that would be Juddd with 3 ds
Kimberli33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstate View Post
How cute! I can just see him telling people how he got his name, and they just look at him like "Huh?"
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote