Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 150.2/148/120
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Aug 26 2013
Does Balancing Work?

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking the JUDDD board for a while now and first of all, I'd really like to thank you all for being such a wonderful inspiration to me! I wouldn't have started this WOE if it weren't for you all and I really am grateful!

Secondly, I was wondering if you guys could offer me advice on something...
I've noticed that while some days are just perfect (both UDs and DDs), others are less so. Today, for example, started out wonderfully. I had a breakfast of an egg white with a slice of whole wheat bread... and then at 4pm, I binged on nuts. I was planning to save the nuts for my UD tomorrow but the cashews and almonds were calling me to the point I couldn't concentrate on anything but nuts and so I ate... and ate and ate.

So, I was wondering, is it possible to balance out an imperfect DD with a lower calorie UD? My DD calories are 350 and UD is 1580. Assuming I had about 600 calories for my DD, if I have a 1000 for my UD tomorrow, will it event out? I'm so close to goal, I don't want a stall again.

I'd love your opinions! Thank you!
Spoonful of Happiness is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2012, 04:24 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Just my opinion, but I say just jump back into your regular rotations and hide the nuts. I actually don't keep much of anything in the house that might "call me". I get that while out on an UD. Good luck.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: 150?/?/135 52yo
WOE: JUDDDish
Hey Luv, here's one thought: I think a huge part of the JUDDD effect comes from the big spread between UD and DD calories, so that we might be mucking with that by narrowing it. I totally understand your urge to compensate (and there are people here who lost by lowering UD numbers), but for me one of the most beautiful things about this WOE is that if I blow a day, that day is gone and over and I begin today by just going on with the rotation. I don't carry the guilt or the frustration. New day.
I swear this was a huge key to getting through the first month for me.
You'll get lots of wonderful advice here. Let us know how it goes.
And remember, it gets easier.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:36 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv is a fairytale View Post
So, I was wondering, is it possible to balance out an imperfect DD with a lower calorie UD? My DD calories are 350 and UD is 1580. Assuming I had about 600 calories for my DD, if I have a 1000 for my UD tomorrow, will it event out? I'm so close to goal, I don't want a stall again.
NO!

The point of the DD is to invoke fat-eating little sirtuin enzymes all over your body...and build up a store that carries forward into UD. The point of UD is to stop producing enzymes, up your metabolism, and have a good time eating wonderful food.

By eating too many calories on a DD, you either slowed enzyme production down or stopped it. In the long run of real life, this is only a problem if it happens frequently, like weekly.

Here are your choices (said the voice of experience):

If you really really know you ate at or over your UD cals, and your rotation does not matter, you can change rotation and have your DD today and the next UD is tomorrow.

If you over ate but not all the way up to UD, then today is UD just like you planned. No real damage is done, you may have a slightly higher bounce and slow down for a DD. NBD. It happens to many/most of us from time to time.

JUDDD forgives.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
PS Don't beat yourself up. Getting used to DDs is a challenge for many of us. As those enzymes build up, they help most of us handle DDs by providing appetite suppression (can't promise that will happen to you, but it probably will).

The really important thing is to try to figure out why the over eating happened. With nuts, I would suspect your body was begging for some oil/fat. I measure a teaspoon of hwc for my coffee (20 cals - never exceed 100 cals of hwc in a DD) because I need fat (and like the flavor, even in small amounts).

There are 36 cals in a teaspoon of butter. If you like butter, you might try that (added to food or, yes, licked off the measuring spoon). Small, measured amounts of most fats are low cal.

If that is what triggered the eating. It is always possible you just wanted some totally delicious nuts...in which case, over a fairly short time you will be able to tell yourself, "tomorrow, I promise, I eat nuts tomorrow."

It really is alright
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
I agree with the others. Keep your rotation unless you ate up to your UD calories yesterday. Guilt isn't allowed on JUDDD. As you get more rotations under your belt, you'll get better and better at them and this will just be a blip.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
Dust off the crumbs and move forward with your regular rotation. Things happen! I know, Last week I had a DD that ended up about 950c! I just kept nibbling....and it added up!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:29 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Yep, what everyone else said.

And besides, if you only ate 600 cals, you were likely still in wlm, just at a higher percentage. One thing that has helped many is to write down all the % levels for your stats on Dr. J's site. For me, I could have between 307 and 691 calories and still be in wlm (20%-45%), and all the way up to 921 is still considered maintenance. That really helps with the "I've blown it and need to do penance" feelings that can come from eating more.

Lots of things can trip us up and have us reaching for the food--hormones top the list for us girls. Ovulation and TOM can create a ravenous beast that demands to be fed regardless of our best intentions.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
YOU WILL BE FINE, LIFE HAPPENS!!

Hope this helps!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Linda, I love your new avi pic!

I agree with the above and also, as Tina stated, I think you just may have had a 35 or 40% DD which actually means have a perfect UD today and you are probably going to see another loss. I do the 20, 30, 40 DDs and have great results. Nuts are also my binge issue, so I have to hide nuts on DD.

Last edited by sunday; 06-26-2012 at 08:06 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
It looks like you've been JUDDDing for 2 months now?

I wouldn't let a 600 cal DD get me down!

Also, to you...
I'm sure a nut binge for me would be a lot more than 500 calories!!!

I'd almost be willing to bet that tomorrow or the next day you drop 2 or more lbs.
Sometimes those "binges" precipitate a major whoosh!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
I think one of the best parts of this plan is that it does not require perfection in order to work for us. I think sometimes we (meaning me) get so in the habit of beating ourselves up or stressing when we "do it wrong" when trying to lose weight, that we can make ourselves crazy. I'm not saying that you're making yourself crazy...I'm just trying to say that JUDDD is such a wonderful tool to have because it doesn't care much at all if we go over on a DD or under on an UD once in a while. In the end it all works out.

Good luck, BUDDD!!

You know the laws of dieting. All gains are water weight. All losses are of fat! --SoHappy
Mommie22boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 150.2/148/120
Start Date: Aug 26 2013
Thank you all so much! I swear, this forum has some of the most wonderful people! Thank you!

I decided to take your advice and not beat myself up about it. The nuts were the last thing I ate (I'm abroad so it's 11pm here) so I'm assuming that I had about 600 calories today, which falls under 35% at weight loss mode. I did my usual Jillian Michaels workout videos and am about to call it a night after a bit of pilates. Fingers crossed that the scale shows that with JUDDD, tomorrow really is a brand new day.
Thank you all for everything!!!!
Spoonful of Happiness is offline   Reply With Quote