Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Everything Old is New Again

I followed JUDDD a couple of years ago (back in the olden days when it was just a thread on "Other Plans") and had success after a lllloooonnnnggggg stall on low carb.

I mangaed to go from 250 to about 210 on lc and then nothing. I started JUDDD and made it to my original goal of 175. I hadn't been that weight since high school and was pretty happy for awhile. I still wasn't "thin" by any stretch of the imagination and I wanted to try thin out. I also became a runner along the way and really would have rather run with 30 fewer lbs.

I had a another long stall on JUDDD and tried hHCG. I know it works for many people, but I was NOT one of them. I made it to 166 for about 27 minutes and then started gaining.

I was in the middle of training for a marathon, finishing up a master's and just starting a new job. I managed to gain about 15 lbs. Then I hurt my achilles tendon, spent a couple of months in a walking cast/boot thing and managed to gain another 10. I came out of the boot, but still couldn't run. My hypothyroidism (that had been pretty well-medicated and controlled) went wacky and I gained up to 209. I had promised myself I would never see a 2 in the hundreds column again.

I got my thyroid meds adjusted and I restarted JUDDD about three weeks ago. I dinked around the first two weeks, but still managed to lose two lbs. I got serious this week and dropped another three. My first goal is to get back below 200. My treat to myself is to start running again when I make it.

I have been lurking around and there is a lot of great support here. It is wonderful to have a board instead of just a thread!

I have put some of the ideas I read here into practice and they have been helpful- especially whoever posted about putting a sticky on their phone with all the levels of DD calories. I'm sorry I don't remember who it was, but . I did that and it has made a huge difference to me. Before, I would get too hungry, eat and then figure I'd blown it, make today an UD and try a DD tomorrow. Now, if I am having a really hungry day I check and see what the next level is, have something and go on. I haven't had a single "blown" DD since doing that. Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Gina it is great to sees that JUDDD is still working its old magic for you. Yes the different levels is a great tool, it stops the moment of despair just in time.

Lovely to have you back and JUDDDing with us.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD

Really glad to see you here.

Here's to your success!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Gina,
It is great to have you back and thank you for telling your story!

I lurked a while and came back after trying lots of different paths also!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
back
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Hi Gina! I'm pretty new at this, just finished my first full week. Looking forward to taking this journey with you!

I'm hypo too, unmedicated right now, and hoping to get that resolved in the next couple of weeks.
amlyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
Start Date: March, 2009
Hi, Gina we posted together here about JUDDD in 09-10. I had forgotten that's how we used to access JUDDD chat here - through "other"! I knew things looked so different when I got back here about 6 weeks ago, and that's one of the main things I was confused about at first! I was beginning to believe maybe there were a lot of JUDDD threads back then too, but maybe I had been too dense to leave the main one to find them!!!

I remember being impressed with your running plans, and I still maintain you have the most cheerful avatar photo of any. (I didn't use to have one at all.) Welcome, welcome. All best wishes.

Lost 13 pounds on JUDDD in 2009 and began happy maintenance. Slipped up in 2012, but JUDDD got me back to goal!
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

I have had the same avatar since I started here. I just love Ginger, she is spunky.

I have a little stuffed Ginger in my office on a shelf. One of the teachers I work with had her 6 year old daughter with her the other day and they were in my office. The little girl said, "Ginger!" The mom thought she was confusing my name and told her, "You call her Mrs. Xxx, not Gina." I had to show Ginger to the mom to keep the little one out of trouble.

I hope to get back to running soon. Achilles injuries take forever and six days to heal. I have been walking for a few weeks and am going to try some running intervals as soon as I get below 200. I am just a big enough dork for that to be a reward.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post

I followed JUDDD a couple of years ago (back in the olden days when it was just a thread on "Other Plans") and had success after a lllloooonnnnggggg stall on low carb.

I mangaed to go from 250 to about 210 on lc and then nothing. I started JUDDD and made it to my original goal of 175. I hadn't been that weight since high school and was pretty happy for awhile. I still wasn't "thin" by any stretch of the imagination and I wanted to try thin out. I also became a runner along the way and really would have rather run with 30 fewer lbs.

I had a another long stall on JUDDD and tried hHCG. I know it works for many people, but I was NOT one of them. I made it to 166 for about 27 minutes and then started gaining.

I was in the middle of training for a marathon, finishing up a master's and just starting a new job. I managed to gain about 15 lbs. Then I hurt my achilles tendon, spent a couple of months in a walking cast/boot thing and managed to gain another 10. I came out of the boot, but still couldn't run. My hypothyroidism (that had been pretty well-medicated and controlled) went wacky and I gained up to 209. I had promised myself I would never see a 2 in the hundreds column again.

I got my thyroid meds adjusted and I restarted JUDDD about three weeks ago. I dinked around the first two weeks, but still managed to lose two lbs. I got serious this week and dropped another three. My first goal is to get back below 200. My treat to myself is to start running again when I make it.

I have been lurking around and there is a lot of great support here. It is wonderful to have a board instead of just a thread!

I have put some of the ideas I read here into practice and they have been helpful- especially whoever posted about putting a sticky on their phone with all the levels of DD calories. I'm sorry I don't remember who it was, but . I did that and it has made a huge difference to me. Before, I would get too hungry, eat and then figure I'd blown it, make today an UD and try a DD tomorrow. Now, if I am having a really hungry day I check and see what the next level is, have something and go on. I haven't had a single "blown" DD since doing that. Thank you!!
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT
the phone sticky info has saved me many a day. the game is all in my head anyhow, right? I am totally free from that old mentality of "I ate that, the day is blown, let's binge"
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Blah. Back again. I had the most difficult time with JUDDD this time. Why? I'm not sure. It worked before.

What I am having the hardest time with I think is this time (as compared to last time), I can't really eat "whatever I want" like before. I didn't go absolutely hog-wild, but ice cream, chocolate, bananas & Cheerios could be part of my UDs and I would still lose. Now they can not apparently. Maybe there has a JUDDD "golden shot" like so many people say there is with Atkins.

In my brain I know these things are not good for me and should not be a regular part of my life, but I can't seem to manage the deprivation of a DD without something to look forward too. Prior to JUDDDing the first time, I hadn't had any junk food to speak of in years. It just wasn't something I ate anymore. I have apparently reembraced it.

To top it all off, even when I white-knuckle it and have good rotations, I am not getting the results I used to (well, used to in the beginning, I did drift away from JUDDDING because it quit working last time). I just sort of float around the same weight, telling myself tomorrow will be better, but I have just managed to waste 6 weeks.

I did a couple of days of fat fast, which got me off my carb cravings and made JUDDDing easier, but still little in the way of results. In fact, I got back up to my high, then a little vacation put me up to 210.

Anywhoooo, I have been trolling around the internet, looking for another plan and came across Lyle McDonalds Rapid Fat Loss. It is a little like JUDDDING because it cycles, but the low days are prescribed- high protein (150 grams for me), low to no fat and unlimited green veggies.

I have been at it for three days and am down 5lbs (but still not at my low with JUDDD). It isn't really about calorie counting, but I have been and my cals are about 800-1000. Why I can manage that but not a 700 cal dd...??? I am not even hungry.

The plan recommends one "free meal" per week and one 5 hour low fat, high carb "refeed" to keep your metabolism up. The free meal and refeeds vary depending on your weight and workout schedule. I haven't had either yet, but we are having company from out of town Saturday night and I'm in a race Sunday morning so Saturday night will be my free meal.

I really wanted JUDDD to work for me again, and you all are the most supportive folks around, but it just isn't happening.

Good luck all
Old 07-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Gina: Glad you are here to report what you are doing now. I sure hope you find out what will work for you.

Congratulations on losing 5 pounds! That part is awesome!

Do keep us posted, OK?
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Gina: Glad you are here to report what you are doing now. I sure hope you find out what will work for you.

Congratulations on losing 5 pounds! That part is awesome!

Do keep us posted, OK?
Thanks. Love the avi of your family and congratulations on the slim lady in the airport (read about that on another thread).
Old 07-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #13

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Lost with JUDDD! Maintaining with HDE/IE
Gina. I'm so sorry you're not having the best results with JUDDD, but I admire you for continuing to search for what's going to work for you. Good luck and let us know how it works!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #14

Hugs, Gina, I really hope this will be the answer of your. Please keep us up to date with your progress. WTG on 5 lbs down. :0
Old 07-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #15
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Aaaawwwww you guys are the best

Maybe I'll just keep posting here. Most of my meals are very similar and there is no Rapid Fat Loss board or threads that I have found. There is RFL forum, but it is full of body-builder types who are not friendly at all. The author of the plan frequents the board and he is a downright butthead.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #16

Please do, we are all interested in RFL I am sure. And I know we are interested in you. Nothing about this place is exclusive, only inclusive.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Please keep posting. I can't remember who posted it, but there was another JUDDDer looking at RFL and JUDDD. I think it was in the thread title if you go looking for it.

I'm glad you found something working. And maybe it will control you urges for junk food, and you can get back to the dd/ud rotations. There is just something special and healing about that cycle.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #18
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Yay for Rapid Fat Loss!

I started Saturday morning at 210.8 after a pretty up (but really not outrageous) up day. This morning I got back on the scale am 203.6. I have NO expectation that I can keep losing 7lbs every three days, but I'll take it for sure. The pounds that came off are "new weight" too and that seems to come off easier than pounds that have made themselves at home. The real test will be getting back under 200. The real, real test will be getting back under 170 and into VFT (virgin fat territory- a saying from the "olden" JUDDD days )

I had a very yummy dinner last night. I got a package of frozen veggies from Target called asparagus stir-fry (100 cals for the whole bag, good size amount) and cooked it in a skillet with a little coconut oil and soy sauce. I got a big handful of frozen, precooked shrimp from Costco (I put them in a bowl of cool water first to thaw) and tossed them in right at the end, just long enough to warm. It was a plateful too.

Counts:
Vegetables. 100 cals, 16 carbs (4 fiber), 4 protein
Shrimp (22 pcs). 140 cals, 0 carbs, 34 protein

I am retaining some water because of the soy sauce. It doesn't usually agree with me. I picked up some Braggs aminos and will use that next time.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #19
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

More recipes to share/record

Brunch:
A handful of snipped up spinach
10 super thin slices turkey lunch meat
1/2 cup egg whites (from a carton)
Wedge laughing cow French onion light cheese

I sautéed the spinach in a little coconut oil (I am staying in the don't count it camp as long as I can), added the turkey and let it brown a little, then the egg whites. When cooked, add little chunks of the cheese, cover and let melt.

230 cals, 7 carbs, 35 protein

Snack:
1/2 cup FF cottage cheese
1/2 cup chocolate protein powder (I use Jay Robb)
Splash of milk (I used Calorie Countdown)
Tbls or so each dark cocoa & SF instant pudding mix
Small pkt Truvia

Add all together and mix, mix, mix with a hand mixture on high speed until creamy and not many curds are left. Refrigerate until set up.

135ish cals, 16 carbs, 24 protein
Old 07-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Hey Gina,

You mentioned your thyroid and being put on meds. Have you been re-checked to make sure that it is optimal? If you have a chance, check the link that I just posted in the blood sugar & JUDDD thread about Endocrine Health.

Congrats on the RFL and weight lost so far!!! I am very interested and will follow your progress.

Last edited by sunday; 07-17-2012 at 12:27 PM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Good deal on being down, Gina!

Those recipes sound pretty darn tasty!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #22
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Hey Gina,

You mentioned your thyroid and being put on meds. Have you been re-checked to make sure that it is optimal? If you have a chance, check the link that I just posted in the blood sugar & JUDDD thread about Endocrine Health.

Congrats on the RFL and weight lost so far!!! I am very interested and will follow your progress.
Yes, I have a good thyroid doctor and was just there last week. She will treat based on symptoms and does the right labs. I do have occasions when it just seems to tank (even with meds) for a week to 10 days and then rights itself. I haven't noticed any precursors, but it is enough time to put on 5-10lbs for no reason. I will check out your link.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #23
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
Good deal on being down, Gina!

Those recipes sound pretty darn tasty!
Thanks.

I'm thinking about a cottages cheese, vanilla pp and cinnamon mixture for later. Maybe a smidge of SF applesauce or peach chunks too.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #24

Sounds as if you are really having fun there Gina.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #25
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm off work and in the middle of cleaning out all my kitchen cupboards. Avoidance is powerful.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #26

Gina, I'm in the central valley and looking for a good thyroid doctor. Any suggestions? I'd even travel to the coast if needed! I've asked around, asked at my pharmacy, etc. I just don't know anyone here with thyroid disease. Ugh.
TIA!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #27
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Mine is in Foster City (Bay Area, just north of San Jose). I am actually originally from Fresno (hot enough for 'ya? ), but I didn't get my thyroid treated until I moved (live near Santa Cruz now).

I go to Holtorf Medical Clinic and see Dr. Elizabeth Lyster. My original dr at Holtorf moved to Sacramento. His name is Chris Camelleri, but I don't know what kind of practice he has there.

I don't know of any in Fresno. There are a bazillion medical offices, you'd think there would be one. Have you asked on the thyroid board?
Old 07-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #28

Thanks for the response. On the thyroid board, they directed me to stopthethyroidmadness and I looked there, and checked out the links for doctors there, but then the doctors in this area all had mixed/mediocre reviews. I have conversion issues according to my last two sets of labs and my GP doesn't want to add Cytomel or try Armour or anything, so I'm stuck getting plenty of T4 that my body can't use optimally.

Anywho, I'll figure it out. Thanks again for the response! And heck yeah, it's hot enough for me here, lol! My thyroid disease is actually a blessing in disguise because it's keeping me nice and cool.

Threadjack over!

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
May 2014: Still maintaining; taking a stab at HDE/IE
Old 07-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #29
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

No worries about threadjacking.

Maybe call a compounding pharmacy and ask if they can recommend docs that prescribe T3. All I take is T3 (I have high RT3) and it is compounded to be slow-release instead of Cytomel.

If I was a doctor I would soooooo be opening a practice to treat thyroid, adrenals, etc. There is so much need out there.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #30
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I had my first "refeed" last night. It started more as a willful error, then I though to myself, "Self, you are supposed to carb up for 5 hours once a week" so I turned it into part of my plan. There was a lot of plums involved and possibly some chocolate. It is not TRULY how the refeed is supposed to go, but I'll work with what I have.

I faithfully logged everything from yesterday and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought.
2595 cals, 201 protein, 257 carbs ( it is a carb refeed, but I must plan better next time)

I didn't get on the scale until midday, but it looks like I am up about 4 lbs.

We'll see what the scale tells us tomorrow.