Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hikergurl
Stats: 5'11" 208/162/165
WOE: HCG/JUDDD
Start Date: 5/31/11
I'm moving to JUDDD from HCG this week and have a few questions

Hey guys,
Thanks to all your encouragement, great advice, and support, I will be moving to JUDDD for my P3 sometime this week (haven't quite decided when yet). I am REALLY encouraged by all the success stories of those of you who have done this and not only maintained in P3, but maybe even continued to lose. I would love to lose a few more pounds, but I'm thinking I'll just try to stabilize for now, give my body a break, and then go into weight loss mode in a few months.

I also wanted to say how RELIEVED I am to have found this support group. I was so stressed about what I was going to do for maintenance, because I gained back about 10 pounds my last P4 and knew I needed a better long-term plan. Because of all the wonderful things I've read in this forum, I feel like JUDDD will be something I can really do for a lifetime. I'm really looking forward to all the non-scale benefits of this WOE.

Anyway, I've thought of a couple questions I'm hoping some of you can answer for me. My first day of P3 (after the 72 hrs of VLCD) will be an UD. Do I try to eat ALL my UD calories that first day? I'm just worried I will have major tummy trouble going from eating such small portions to approx 2000 cals in one day. However, I also don't want to cause any issues by not eating enough calories.

Would it be better to go ahead and add starches back in right away on my UD's? I've read where some of you keep it LC for so long that when you start adding starches back in, you automatically put on water weight. What would be the BEST strategy for stabilization - starches or no starches?

Did you continue to weigh yourself every day in P3, or did you scale back (pun intended)? I'm wondering if I should just weigh once or twice a week so as not to FREAK OUT if I go 2lb over my LIW.

Thanks for being patient with all my questions.
hikergurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Hikergirl.

I know nothing about HCG but there are so many ex HCGers here who I hope will chime in with help and support.

I am delighted that you are choosing to use JUDDD.

I would certainly recommend that you eat all your UD calories so that you start off well nourished.

The LC question is entirely personal. I love having the freedom to eat carbs once more. If you do decide to reintroduce carbs your weight will almost certainly jump as your body absorbs more water. But this is not a forever gain. It the bridge between 2 methods of weight control.

The scale issue is just that, an issue. Some of us allow it destroy us, others a calm in the knowledge that JUDDD causes the scale to bounce. The trend is what matters!

Enjoy posting here often.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Hikergirl.

I know nothing about HCG but there are so many ex HCGers here who I hope will chime in with help and support.

I am delighted that you are choosing to use JUDDD.

I would certainly recommend that you eat all your UD calories so that you start off well nourished.

The LC question is entirely personal. I love having the freedom to eat carbs once more. If you do decide to reintroduce carbs your weight will almost certainly jump as your body absorbs more water. But this is not a forever gain. It the bridge between 2 methods of weight control.

The scale issue is just that, an issue. Some of us allow it destroy us, others a calm in the knowledge that JUDDD causes the scale to bounce. The trend is what matters!

Enjoy posting here often.

Welcome to the wonderful land of JUDDD!

I know almost nothing about HCG, but want to second what Cindy said.

From my perspective coming from low-carbing, there's a question I think you (and all other HCG'ers) need to ask themselves:

Am I willing to stay strict low carb for the rest of my life? Am I willing to feel guilty about wanting a high carb goodie on occasion and even guiltier when I indulge? Am I willing to always be the "odd man out" in social settings that involve food?

For me, the answer was a resounding, echoing, "NO!"

Adding in carbs WILL show an increase on the scale, the amount of increase varies from each person. But they do.

But so what? Do you walk around with a neon sign on your back that flashes your weight? I didn't think so.

We all need to wean ourselves away from our dependence on the scale and how it factors in with regard to our mental and emotional well-being. It's a tool, one of several, and in my opinion, is the least accurate in terms of showing fat loss and inches shrunk.

Unless a person IS willing to never eat another carb-y thing again, and is truly OK with that, I say eat carbs from the git-go and get the weight gain bounce out of the way. But that's just me. I came from low-carbing and knew for a fact I wanted to have a life where I was free to choose whatever sounded good, free to partake in celebrations. With JUDDD, I can do that.

JUDDD is not at all about what foods you eat.

JUDDD is all about how you eat.

Sending you every good wish for your success!

Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
If I was further along in my P3-JUDDD style, I would have some advice. But I just started. I decided to do it P3-style for now; adding in P4 foods at the P4 time in 3 weeks still doing JUDDD, but not at "induction level" calories. I will phase them in very very slowly, start with one starch or one sugar, rinse, repeat, like I did in my very successful first 2 rounds. I gradually added in a moderate starch/sugar level. I eat carbs now, dairy, fruit. I "think" I can make the scale and myself/tummy ok with starch/sugar when the time comes. I almost always will have to stay away from wheat anyway, a bite here and a bite there doesn't hurt me (like 2 bites of someone else's dessert) but otherwise wheat full-on inflames me bad. Right now I'm concentrating on staying P3 and following calories. My decision to do it that way came from just thinking I would do Simeons' rules in order to "set" the weight and not see a big scale jump right now. I can't handle that after working so hard in P2. And, like I said, I think anyway, I can slowly, gradually, reintroduce the moderate amount of starches carefully enough that it won't be drastic when I do it in 3 weeks.

I will tell you, after doing 500 calories way in the past on super Low calorie diets and then doing it the hcg way, the 500 calories is tough without the hcg. Have lots of options ready. I didn't eat soon enough during the day yesterday, and had to use a psyllium fiber supplement. I also used miracle noodles. Both of those things combined, sitting in my system right now, I'm UP after a down day LOL.....

HCG Rx to lose - JUDDD to maintain

Last edited by C'Marie; 06-24-2012 at 11:56 AM..
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the responses so far. I have one more question. If I still would like to lose 5-10 more pounds, should I just do maintenance calories for a while (say 4 weeks) to give my body a rest, and then jump back into weight loss mode? Or should I go ahead and do weight loss mode right away with the idea that maybe I can continue to lose and then go into maintenance in a month or two?
Old 06-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tag425
Stats: 160/127/120
WOE: JUDDD since 5/12
Start Date: Hcg 4/12. JUDD 5/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Marie View Post
If I was further along in my P3-JUDDD style, I would have some advice. But I just started. I decided to do it P3-style for now; adding in P4 foods at the P4 time in 3 weeks still doing JUDDD, but not at "induction level" calories. I will phase them in very very slowly, start with one starch or one sugar, rinse, repeat, like I did in my very successful first 2 rounds. I gradually added in a moderate starch/sugar level. I eat carbs now, dairy, fruit. I "think" I can make the scale and myself/tummy ok with starch/sugar when the time comes. I almost always will have to stay away from wheat anyway, a bite here and a bite there doesn't hurt me (like 2 bites of someone else's dessert) but otherwise wheat full-on inflames me bad. Right now I'm concentrating on staying P3 and following calories. My decision to do it that way came from just thinking I would do Simeons' rules in order to "set" the weight and not see a big scale jump right now. I can't handle that after working so hard in P2. And, like I said, I think anyway, I can slowly, gradually, reintroduce the moderate amount of starches carefully enough that it won't be drastic when I do it in 3 weeks.

I will tell you, after doing 500 calories way in the past on super Low calorie diets and then doing it the hcg way, the 500 calories is tough without the hcg. Have lots of options ready. I didn't eat soon enough during the day yesterday, and had to use a psyllium fiber supplement. I also used miracle noodles. Both of those things combined, sitting in my system right now, I'm UP after a down day LOL.....
I did p3 the same way, only added p4 foods slowly after 3 weeks.. I did maintenance numbers for 4 weeks, then changed to wt loss numbers..
Tag425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: minimonkey
Stats: 5'0" -- very small frame
WOE: Clean eating, whole foods
I have no advice either -- just chiming in to say that I am in the same boat after way too much p2, and trying to figure out how to transition. We can all learn from each other
minimonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Tag, I may try your method, doing it low carb. Did you add the extra calories on down days or up days?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimonkey View Post
Tag, I may try your method, doing it low carb. Did you add the extra calories on down days or up days?
DD numbers went up, UD numbers did not change per calculator.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Right now I'm leaning toward Sheridan's recommendation of adding carbs back in right away. My body is already going to be adjusting to this new WOE, so I might as well throw everything at it at once so that I can get all the crazy bounces out of the way, and hopefully after a few weeks things will calm down.

I'm so scared!! I just bought my first-ever pair of size 10 jeans, and they JUST fit. So if I put back on 5 or so pounds, I'm screwed!
Old 06-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks, Tag! I know some people add in the calories on up days instead, and keep the down days super low -- I think I'd prefer to do it the way that the calculator does it, myself. Did you go with the 60% maintenance figure?

Hiker -- Congrats on the SIZE 10 JEANS!!!!!!!! Woooohooooo! I hope this WOE treats you really, really well!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Good thread to read, and especially look at the graph on post #12.

The Scale, She "BOUNCES"!!

I think another helpful thing to do would be read through the Daily Weigh In Tracker thread(s). Those who choose to post on that thread all have ups and downs, sometimes big ones both ways. But the overall trend is downward!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

[QUOTE=minimonkey;15750236]Thanks, Tag! I know some people add in the calories on up days instead, and keep the down days super low -- I think I'd prefer to do it the way that the calculator does it, myself. Did you go with the 60% maintenance figure?

I went with the 50% maintenance figure.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:53 PM   #14

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Hikergirl, it sounds as if you would enjoy a month of maintaining before cutting back towards a WLM.

Have a look at the Maintain Lane thread. So many there are still losing gently while on Maintenance cals.

Great advice from Sheridan to look at the graphs in 'The Scale she Bounces' thread. I point out to some people that, if they had only weighed weekly, they might have missed the lows that their bodies had in between time.

I believe a 'normal' relationship with the scale is as important as a 'normal' relationship with food. It can be tough to get used to the fact that weighing in heavier does not mean 'failure'. No one weighs the same all the time.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaSimpson
Stats: 174 goal 140 5'10
WOE: juicing and juddd
Start Date: 01/24/2013
@Hikergirl: I'm in P2 at the moment, and will be back on juddd when I'm finished with it. I've not yet decided if if I'll be doing P3 juddd style. I'll see how it goes. Ususally I never had much problems in P3, but P4 was always hard. Like you I've gained some weight back, and about 4pounds more when I started juddd, and not counting my UD cals, alouding myself to eat starches.... Not good!
I will do P3 style the simeons way, no sugar,no starches. I believe that this is really important to set in the lost weight. Starches can srew up everything. As for the down days, if I have a 2lbs bounce, I'll treat them like a correction day. I'm vegan, so I'll be doing a shake day without oil, which leads to about 450cals. I believe you could do a steak day, without adding any fat to it.

Good luck, and please keep us postet!!
RebeccaSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: circusgirl
Stats: 219/185/140
WOE: primal/paleo-currently HCG
Start Date: August 1999 primal, HCG in 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikergurl View Post
Right now I'm leaning toward Sheridan's recommendation of adding carbs back in right away. My body is already going to be adjusting to this new WOE, so I might as well throw everything at it at once so that I can get all the crazy bounces out of the way, and hopefully after a few weeks things will calm down.

I'm so scared!! I just bought my first-ever pair of size 10 jeans, and they JUST fit. So if I put back on 5 or so pounds, I'm screwed!
I came from hcg and added carbs immediately. You likely WILL gain a bit...be okay with that. It really does come back off, and pretty fast too. I gained for a few weeks, and then started dropping.

I wanted the bounce upfront, and the freedom of JUDDD.
circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusgirl View Post
I came from hcg and added carbs immediately. You likely WILL gain a bit...be okay with that. It really does come back off, and pretty fast too. I gained for a few weeks, and then started dropping.

I wanted the bounce upfront, and the freedom of JUDDD.
Thanks. That's what I've decided to do. I know I will gain a few but will have faith it will come off in time.

Now I'm just trying to decide if I will weigh myself every day or just once a week. On one hand, I want to master the scale and not let that damn number affect my day/mood/self-esteem so much. Weighing every day and accepting the number could be therapeutic for me.

On the other hand, I just don't know if I'm there yet....
Old 06-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks. That's what I've decided to do. I know I will gain a few but will have faith it will come off in time.

Now I'm just trying to decide if I will weigh myself every day or just once a week. On one hand, I want to master the scale and not let that damn number affect my day/mood/self-esteem so much. Weighing every day and accepting the number could be therapeutic for me.

Sheridan's Helpful Hint For New JUDDD BUDDS:

Dig out a pair of pants that you can't fit into that you've hidden in the back of your closet. If that's not possible, go to a thrift/charity shop and buy a pair of pants that are somewhat too small to get into. Try those pants on frequently, especially if you show no downward movement on the scale. You will almost certainly be amazed at the changes your body is making even though you may not see it documented on the scale. Pants are a much better tool to show progress than is the scale. As you are able to fit comfortably into the tight pants, go get another pair to use as a gauge.

Another thing is to measure yourself right at the beginning and periodically retake those measurements. Very often you will find you're shrinking even though the scale doesn't show it.

And pay attention to Kissa's signature:

Quote:
Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.
You're going to do great! Yes, you are!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:43 AM   #19

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:

I weighed once a week for the first 6 weeks or so, then moved to daily weighing. I wouldn't have been able to trust the WOE if I saw all that bouncing in the beginning. Now the number's just a number. Even if it goes up, I know it's going to go back down.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:03 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: circusgirl
Stats: 219/185/140
WOE: primal/paleo-currently HCG
Start Date: August 1999 primal, HCG in 2010
I weigh daily because of the bounce. If I see myself drop 3 then gain 2.5 I don't want my only frame of reference to be the .5 pound difference. For me it helps to see what the scale is doing early on. Also, it seems that the bounce tends to precede a loss for many. I would want to know that my hard work was doing SOMETHING!

But that's totally my POV and I'd say do whatever is going to keep you mentally in the game.
circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:16 AM   #21

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
I don't know anything about HCG but I can tell you I did lc for years and years and I was never ever as pleased with what I was eating and how I was losing as I am with JUDDD! My suggestion is not to weigh daily. I weigh once a week (it alternates from Wed to Thurs as I only weigh after a DD). The scale bounces and it can cause you to "think" JUDDD isn't working. Good luck!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Henush
Stats: 220
WOE: JUDDD/Fast-5
Start Date: Restart - September 2013
I agree with Monica. With JUDDD, I feel the difference in my clothes despite what the scale has to say. I thought I'd weigh weekly, but as it happens, I rarely remember. I do a lot more of Sheridan's clothes testing...with very pleasant results
Henush is offline   Reply With Quote