Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Learning about want VS need

I have a giant sweet tooth. I could literally live on desserts.At my highest weight I was eating a pint of my beloved sea salt caramel gelato everyday. Now since being on Juddd for a couple of months I find that I am truly happy and satisfied with the half cup I have on my UD. Sure, I could allow myself a larger allotment of calories in my budget and have more. I'd still be respecting my calories, but I find that I am quite full filled with the smaller portion. I'm not eating it mindlessly and am really savoring each spoonful. I'm really beginning to understand, at least for me, the difference between being hungry and just craving something. There is nothing wrong with craving my gelato, its just that I'm starting to get that I don't need that whole container to satisfy my craving. I feel like I am establishing a much healthier relationship with food. On Juddd there is no food that is my enemy. I still try to avoid or limit certain carbs because there are so many great substitutes it doesn't make sense not to. I love my cauliflower mashed "potatoes" and eat them on both UD and DD. And our philosphosy of " I can have it tomorrow" is very freeing. But even on Juddd for it to work, you simply cannot have whatever you want whenever you want it, or how much of it you want. No woe is perfect but Juddd comes pretty darn close. I was aware that my relationship with food had become really unhealthy and not just because of the added weight, so Juddd is helping me to enjoy my sweets but in moderation. Which for me is brilliant. Please share how Juddd has made your view on food or how and why you eat change.
Vanessa
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I have always loved sea salt & caramel!!! I can't imagine what a gelato tastes like!?!?

Today I feel so good on a DD and I have stayed around 340 cals. I think the best thing that I have learned is that when fasting I actually have time to do things that I need to do. I stay busy and it works well! I do enjoy my UD as well and have really enjoyed trying some new recipes. I love to cook! Well, I love to cook when it fits in my schedule.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Sunday gelato is like ice cream. The one I eat has the caramel ice cream and bits of dark chocolate mixed in. I think the chocolate bits are salted, but I'm not sure. The brand is called Talenti. One half cup is 220 calories but so worth it. They seem to have it in the ice cream section of most chain supermarkets. The Belgium Milk Chocolate is also to die for. This is dangerous talk for a DD lol.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mitsa
Stats: start 118/ goal 100
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 05/26/12
Vanessa, what do you put in the mashed cauliflower, whats it like calorie wise?
Mitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Colette, I use one head of cauliflower, 4 Tablespoons whipped cream cheese ( regular ), Himalayan pink salt. Boil or steam the cauliflower until soft. Put in blender or smoothie maker whatever, add the whipped cream cheese and salt. Blend until nice and creamy. This usually makes about 4 cups. From my calorie counter site and the package of cream cheese it roughly comes out to 82 calories per cup. Someone the other day suggested adding cooked leeks to the recipe so I'm thinking of cooking them in a bit of spray butter in a pan then adding it to the blender. I would eat these even if I wasn't on a weight loss program they are really quite good. Let me know how you like them.
Vanessa
Old 06-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: minimonkey
Stats: 5'0" -- very small frame
WOE: Clean eating, whole foods
OMG, that caulifolower mash sounds divine!
minimonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:33 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Minimonkey you must try it, it's so good! You are so cute, you remind me of Kathy Griffin the comic. I love her, have seen her in concert twice.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:58 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mitsa
Stats: start 118/ goal 100
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 05/26/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
Colette, I use one head of cauliflower, 4 Tablespoons whipped cream cheese ( regular ), Himalayan pink salt. Boil or steam the cauliflower until soft. Put in blender or smoothie maker whatever, add the whipped cream cheese and salt. Blend until nice and creamy. This usually makes about 4 cups. From my calorie counter site and the package of cream cheese it roughly comes out to 82 calories per cup. Someone the other day suggested adding cooked leeks to the recipe so I'm thinking of cooking them in a bit of spray butter in a pan then adding it to the blender. I would eat these even if I wasn't on a weight loss program they are really quite good. Let me know how you like them.
Vanessa
Done and done.
Mitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:02 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Oh wow, the cauliflower mash does sound good! I am going to play around with making this today.

As for gelato, I looked up the recipes for home made gelato, and they actually have a homemade Gelato machine by Delonghi! The difference between the two is that ice cream has more fat and gelato is not as frozen, less hard. It is rich! But what a treat. It is an Italian ice cream made with egg yolks and heavy cream. drool.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:21 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Do you find yourself making food selections and practicing portion control not because of the calories, but because you know you will enjoy the meal and feel good afterwards? And the calories just seem to fall into line with that. Even my UUADs are getting more and more reasonable and controlled.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Do you find yourself making food selections and practicing portion control not because of the calories, but because you know you will enjoy the meal and feel good afterwards? And the calories just seem to fall into line with that.
Yes, yes, yes!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I ordered a steak with fries and a rocket salad last night.

When I had finished,I realised that I had left about 1/4 of my delicious steak and at least 2/3 of the fries....this is a break through for me. I've been used to 'having a treat' and therefore eating every scrap, for years now...
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh man, the first time I left good, still hot fries sitting on an UD with plenty of calories to spare, because I was full and knew it, I also knew JUDDD was morphing me!
Old 06-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Yes Nancy the gelato was my first clue. Usually I ate every last crumb because I was always about to begin yet another diet and believed it was the last time I would ever get to have it. Nobody was more surprised than me when the half cup of gelato was satisfying. I actually have been keeping a cookie jar of Oreos in the house for UD and it is getting easier each UD to only eat the serving of three cookies. DH and I used to go to Krispy Kreme before I started a new " diet" and get 3 dozen to split and I could actually finish my half during the weekend. Everyday I inch closer and closer to never needing to do that again. It was like " panic eating". Sooo not healthy in more ways than one. Now if I'm full I don't finish it anyway because I take great comfort in the knowledge that I can indeed have it another day. Juddd heals the body and mind, don't you think
Vanessa

Last edited by Muffabuff; 06-24-2012 at 01:31 PM..
Old 06-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/116/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Vanessa - I have been looking for the Gelato you talk about, but can't find it! Is it by the ice cream? What type container? Price??

I do live by a Wal-Mart, but it is not a super big one - not there either! Maybe I should look in the organic part of the other grocery store, think
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #16

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I found it at Whole Foods, but then saw it has soy, so it's out for me, but it looks yummy!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/116/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I found it at Whole Foods, but then saw it has soy, so it's out for me, but it looks yummy!
I really, really try to avoid it also!

Thanks so much for mentioning this!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Muf, there are times I think JUDDD is doing more for my mind than it is for my body. Just savoring the feeling being at peace with food is - well - it never gets old. And that peace seems to spread to all aspects of my life. I am definitely in this for the long haul!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Nancy I know just what you mean. YOu cannot put a price on feeling comfortable in your own body. That is why I say Juddd is healing to the mind as well as the body. It is very holistic. As far as the gelato, I find it in the ice cream section. I really have no idea what is in it sorry.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Acor
Stats: 160/128/115 5'2
I used to do the exact same "panic" eating every time I was getting ready to start back up on LC. I had to visit all of my favorite restaurants before I could start and I'd have dessert once or twice a day. My absolute most favorite thing about JUDDD is knowing that I'll never have to give up any food ever again.
Acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I posted on this thread yesterday and it was a pretty bland post and it isn't here so I will try again.
I have just recently arrived at the no more panic eating phase of JUDDD. I too felt I had to have the whole pint of my beloved BlueBell ice cream (620 calories) since I could not have it tomorrow. I bought pints so I would not be tempted with the 1/2 gallon. And yes, once I did eat the entire half gallon. I believe that was 2400 calories. Not good.
BUT since I know ice cream is a problem for me I am better off buying the little dixie cups or an ice cream sandwich for 150 calories. BUT I don't have to give up ice cream so that is wonderful. Thank you JUDDD.

Acor - I know exactly what you are talking about.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acor View Post
I used to do the exact same "panic" eating every time I was getting ready to start back up on LC. I had to visit all of my favorite restaurants before I could start and I'd have dessert once or twice a day. My absolute most favorite thing about JUDDD is knowing that I'll never have to give up any food ever again.
I call that the "Last Supper Diet Syndrome". And I did it, too. SO many times.

Love being able to eat anything my heart desires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I posted on this thread yesterday and it was a pretty bland post and it isn't here so I will try again.
I have just recently arrived at the no more panic eating phase of JUDDD. I too felt I had to have the whole pint of my beloved BlueBell ice cream (620 calories) since I could not have it tomorrow. I bought pints so I would not be tempted with the 1/2 gallon. And yes, once I did eat the entire half gallon. I believe that was 2400 calories. Not good.
BUT since I know ice cream is a problem for me I am better off buying the little dixie cups or an ice cream sandwich for 150 calories. BUT I don't have to give up ice cream so that is wonderful. Thank you JUDDD.

Acor - I know exactly what you are talking about.
I buy pints of ice cream for my DH, Adi, for the same reason you did. We used to get a delivery of Schwann's ice cream in the big gallon tub every week and it's ridiculous how fast that thing got eaten. Portion control is a lot easier for him when he has to get it out of a smaller size container. I actually prefer a drumstick or ice cream sandwich (and it's easier to limit portions, too).

Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Acor
Stats: 160/128/115 5'2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
I call that the "Last Supper Diet Syndrome". And I did it, too. SO many times.
That was one of the things that really made me start looking for a healthy way of eating that I could do forever. I could lose nicely with LC but there was no way it was ever going to stay off because I just don't enjoy that type of eating.
Acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Vanessa, I could just quote you! Maybe substitute pasta for the gelato

That's one fo the first things that happened, that "I can have that tomorrow" and then when I would, I'd still limit the quantity (or be amazed at the calories in the amount I'd want to eat...) and be ok with it.

and like you, I am learning that I do function better lower carb, in a variety of ways. So, that's cool. And then if want some popcorn, that's cool too.

I guess it's the mind thing-- knowing you can have it makes you not necessarily gobble it down any old time.

I'm also noticing I'm not craving anything in particular, and even if I do have carb-ier things, it doesn't set me off on cravings, but I do get hungrier (growly) sooner than if I had eaten LC things through the day.

Living and learning Loving JUDDD!
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You know, she said as the last bite of dark chocolate truffle melted in her mouth, recognizing the difference between need and want is vital. But understanding how and when to eat what we want is awfully good too.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
You know, she said as the last bite of dark chocolate truffle melted in her mouth, recognizing the difference between need and want is vital. But understanding how and when to eat what we want is awfully good too.
oooohhhh... deeeeeep! (and said with your mouth and fingers full of chocolate! )
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/193/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
I'm just beginning to be this way about a month and a half into eating juddd style. I absolutely love it. I'm finding the pure joy of being able to eat fruit again and not feel guilty about it. It was an UD today but juddd has finally conviced me that I can have junk food if I want it but it can be any up day so there is no real urgency to eat it today. I have found that I naturally have begun to eat more health wise than I did on Atkins because there is a bounty of options and I can have it all (although as a rule I stay low carbish because I like the way I feel on it).

I'm so appreciative of all of you and your support and answers. I feel so lucky to be losing weight and enjoying eating at the same time. Truthfully, I had convinced myself I could never do both at the same time. I could lose weight and be deprived or be fat and happy. Luckily now, I can be skinny and happy.

Last edited by brewstate; 06-26-2012 at 07:27 PM..
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 150.2/148/120
Start Date: Aug 26 2013
I think that while I may still be struggling with want vs need, my body has picked up on the difference and I'm trying to listen to my body. Yesterday, I posted a thread about how I binged on nuts on a DD and felt terribly guilty afterwards. I put it away and decided to have the rest first thing on my UD. Well, on my UD, the nuts were the first thing I reached for... and got very little enjoyment eating it. A JUDDDer had pointed out that my body was probably craving fats during the DD but it wasn't anymore. I still ate the nuts but it was out of habit more than anything else and I could tell from the very little enjoyment I got out of it. Instead, I fully enjoyed my high-protein breakfast and am very full despite not eating too much.

It's work in progress but I really do believe that listening to the body is how 'skinny people stay skinny.' I was brought up with the mantra of 'don't ever EVER waste food' so it's going to be a little hard to go away from that but, with JUDDD, I'm hopeful!
Spoonful of Happiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #29

Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/136/129-131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
Sunday gelato is like ice cream. The one I eat has the caramel ice cream and bits of dark chocolate mixed in. I think the chocolate bits are salted, but I'm not sure. The brand is called Talenti. One half cup is 220 calories but so worth it. They seem to have it in the ice cream section of most chain supermarkets. The Belgium Milk Chocolate is also to die for. This is dangerous talk for a DD lol.
Upon your recommendation I picked some of this up today. OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT.IS.DIVINE!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to try the other flavors.
Cruzcrzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #30

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I also picked it up today for DH. I will most likely try at least a spoonful too.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote