Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tnanock
Stats: 212.2/212.2/170
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart 9/20/12
Confession time....

Hey....it's been a looonnnngggg time since I visited these boards. Guess I've been too ashamed. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes regretting falling off plan back in April. I'm also sitting here with almost a 15 lb gain since then.

Everything was going so good....I don't understand why I stopped JUDDD. I guess I got a little over confident. Then once I got out of the routine I found all kinds of excuses not to get back on the rotation. We sold our house and spent all of April and half of May getting ready to move. We are now living in this little bitty house (5 people) and I'm so ready to get started building our dream home but we keep getting delayed on the financing. So that makes me depressed which in turn makes me eat.

I have loads of Medifast foods that I really need to use, but I started out one day last week and couldn't even make it past lunch. I'm just so tired of "dieting" but I have got to do SOMETHING! I can't continue to put on weight. My once "too big" clothes are now getting tight. I got rid of my "really too big" clothes and don't want to buy new ones. I also don't want to spend any more money on weight loss plans. I KNOW the answer is JUDDD...just "dieting" every other day...it's just finding the "want to".

I'm going through and reading the boards...I believe I can find the motivation there. However, (and I know it's another excuse), in three weeks I will be going on a week long vacation and I know it's going to be hard to keep on the UD/DD rotation. So I'm tempted not even to start until after that...but that's really not an option at this point....I'm afraid I will only put on more weight. Can you give me some suggestions for how to handle the vacation? Any other words of wisdom?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Welcome back and my advice is to START NOW.

Everyone is different but we went to NY for our son's graduation from USMA and I continued my DD/UD rotations. I even went to his graduation banquet on a DD. Fasted all day and ate light and was full and satisfied and enjoyed it. BUT I am one that can fast all day with no problems so it might not work for others.

BUT Just starting is the key. And GOOD LUCK with starting JUDDD again. I love that it is so easy to do and once that first 2 weeks are behind you, you will have the benefit of the SIRT1 in full force to help you through the vacation.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Gosh you have a multitude of stresses in your life right now. Seems like the best kindness to yourself would be to dive back into judddd and get to feeling better with a little wiggle room in the clothes before vacation Then enjoy vacation maybe alternating up and maintenance level days or just relax for that week. Then have a meal plan to get back on track the day you return. Heck start back with an up day if you want. Every day I delayed doing something this easy about feeling better physically and emotionally was just a sad wasted day for me. I totally am with you on not buying any more fat clothes and I was there when I gave judddd a try. I don't lose quickly but it made a big difference to my clothes right away. You can to it for your happiness.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Hi, nice to meet you, Kim. I'm working my way back through a gain, too! Mine happened when my life had upheavals regarding elderly family members.

So often, we are taking care of others' needs and helping with family concerns, and our own needs kinda fall to the wayside. With so many other things to think about, it's not so surprising you fell off plan. The vacation doesn't have to be a big problem. Plan the nice meals you want to enjoy with family and work your JUDDD plan around them.

We can do this!
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
One thing I lean on when I mess up JUDDDing is Fast 5--
eat only during a 5-hour window. You still get a lot of the health benefits,
but may find it less stressful if you have one "normal" meal to look forward to every day.
It also often works great for vacation and other special occasions!
And you can change your window any time--brunch & early dinner one day,
late lunch and dinner another day, or "grazing" and having a few drinks over a few hours at a BBQ.

(It's also possible to do JUDDD & Fast 5 at the same time)

Some people find they don't lose very quickly doing Fast 5, but that they at least maintain. Also, it keeps you in the habit of fasting until you're ready to return to JUDDD!

If you don't feel well doing a strict fast all day (if you're working a lot, or walking a lot on vacation), you could perhaps eat as lightly as possible. For example, yesterday I only had coffee & cream, 1oz of beef jerky & a cheese stick until about 6pm, when I had dinner. I got hungry later but went to bed without eating anything else, because I knew today would be an UD and I could eat breakfast if I wanted to (guess what...it's almost 2pm and I haven't had time to eat!!! I'm sitting here SO hungry but I can't think of anything I want to eat!!!).
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-23-2012 at 10:52 AM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
welcome back! I know you will do just fine! Vacation time is going to be fine also! Write your numbers down starting with 20% DD all the way to 45%. For example my DD range from 352-802. Of course, you will have the best losses at 20% and I recommend you stay with 20% until you leave for vacation to get the Sirt1 going strong! Best wishes!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
CC3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CC3
Stats: 5'7" - 202/198/148
Start Date: May 2012
Iím a newbie to Judd, having started on May 10th. Iíd like to share what I have learned these past 6 weeks. Maybe it will help.

(Sorry this turned into a novel)

My dieting history has been like most of us; Weight Watchers (several times), Atkins (several times), whatever diet is in the magazine at the check-out stand (several times).

Then came menopause with the easy weight gain and I became the heaviest Iíve ever been. After menopause, I had no tolerance for diets. Iíd start a diet in the morning and was lucky to make it to lunch time. I simply wanted a decent relationship with food. I wanted to eat without thinking whether or not a food was good or bad. I wanted to trust myself enough to simply eat normally. I also knew that I wasnít going to give up pizza or birthday cake or whatever for the REST of my life. And I also knew the caloric count of everything I ate and knew I was overeating.

My highest weight was probably at 214. Over the course of a few years, my weight stabilized around 204. This happened through NOT dieting. I just tried to eat normal, without a potato chip binge. And the binges did go away.

A couple of years ago, I tried Eat, Stop, Eat. Did it for a year. I rather liked fasting two days a week. Felt like I was doing something. My weight would dip down to 201, but no lower. I think this was because I was taking in too many calories on the days I ate.

This year began with Fast-5. I realized that I didnít mind a ďdietĒ telling me WHEN to eat. Just knew I didnít like a ďdietĒ telling me WHAT to eat. I started at 206 and went down to 202, but it took 3 months. And the 202 wasnít a stable weight. Again I realized I was eating too many calories in a 5 hour window.

Then I found JUDDD in May. I read the forum and the book. I started with 500 DD calories and 1900 UD calories. After 4 days, I realized that counting calories on a daily basis was making my mind rebel and putting it in a diet mode. So, I quit counting my UD calories.

Then I had several graduation functions, family bbqs, and birthday parties to attend. I purposely told myself that I could have a couple of UD in a row or a MD here and there. I had conquered the binge monster a while back, so I trusted myself to not overdo.

On DDs, I tried the cabbage recipes from the forum and many other things and have realized that I do best when I donít eat. So, now on DDs, I wait until dinner and eat a small portion of whatever I have cooked for the family. On UDs, I donít eat breakfast (donít want to), eat lunch and dinner with family. I mentally total my calories and decide if I can throw in a glass of wine or a dessert.

Even though Iím not adhering to the counting rule, I feel I am honoring the intent of JUDDD. A UD is a reasonable amount of calories and a DD is a low % amount of calories (as per the JUDDD calculator).

I know if I counted calories I would have a better weight loss. I know if I stuck strictly to the rotation I would have a better weight loss. I have done my version of JUDDD for 6 weeks and have lost 5 pounds. I saw 197 today on the scale, lowest Iíve been in years.

My version of JUDDD Ė it has been 44 days. Should be 22 UD and 22 DD. The truth Ė 20 UD Ė 13 DD Ė 8 MD Ė 3 UUAD.

Iím not trying to promote not counting calories or not sticking to rotation. Just thought Iíd share as JUDDD is forgiving, it does work, even if you have social functions. I am reducing my caloric intake, even if it is at a snailís pace.

I am so thankful to everyone posting their stories. It gave me the push to give JUDDD a try.
CC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
Gosh you have a multitude of stresses in your life right now. Seems like the best kindness to yourself would be to dive back into judddd and get to feeling better with a little wiggle room in the clothes before vacation Then enjoy vacation maybe alternating up and maintenance level days or just relax for that week. Then have a meal plan to get back on track the day you return. Heck start back with an up day if you want. Every day I delayed doing something this easy about feeling better physically and emotionally was just a sad wasted day for me. I totally am with you on not buying any more fat clothes and I was there when I gave judddd a try. I don't lose quickly but it made a big difference to my clothes right away. You can to it for your happiness.
I agree. The important thing is to get started. Go to maintence while on vacay or just relax and begin again when home. Dry your tears you will be back in your clothes in no time. Moving is a huge stresser up there with losing a loved one. You have every reason to be stressed. Just think about how wonderful it is going to be to build your dream home. I'm waiting for the recession to end so we can do the same thing on our 5 acres. Also have a lovely trip, life is short.
Vanessa
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
I have two pieces of advice (the first is not terribly different from everyone else's): GET STARTED! There IS no better day than today. One of the great things about JUDDD is that you become accustomed to a smaller amount of food, even on UD's, so when you go on vacation, you won't want to eat as much. Can't hurt :-) I started JUDDD one week before a cruise. That made me all the more mindful of what I needed to be aware of during the cruise. I didn't stay on JUDDD, but I didn't eat as much as I otherwise might have.

Second piece of advice: whatever you were eating before on your DD's, DON'T eat that again. Get a new DD menu. Spend some time thinking about what you want, look over the DD only recipe thread, figure out ahead of time 500 calories (or whatever your target amount is) and have the foods for those days ready and maybe even prepared in advance.

I tend to eat the same things over and over on my DD's. That's fine until the day I can't eat them even One. More. Time. I will continue to fail on my DD's until I figure out something different to eat on those days. So, since you were on JUDDD previously, and for whatever reason you dropped off, eat something different on your down days, so as not to bring back any bad feelings that you might have left over from before.
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post

I tend to eat the same things over and over on my DD's. That's fine until the day I can't eat them even One. More. Time. I will continue to fail on my DD's until I figure out something different to eat on those days. So, since you were on JUDDD previously, and for whatever reason you dropped off, eat something different on your down days, so as not to bring back any bad feelings that you might have left over from before.
G, thanks so much for this! I adore my DD regulars but I'll bet the day will come when I. Have. Had. It. Up. To. Here. With. Them.
I'll remember your excellent advice.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Welcome back. Best of luck to you. I think you will have tons of support here when you are ready. Sorry for your pain, but wow, you have a lot to look forward to! Hey!, maybe you could have a goal to celebrate a new you when you move into your new house!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
Welcome back! My only advice is, get started! Don't put it off any longer!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tnanock
Stats: 212.2/212.2/170
Start Date: Restart 9/20/12
Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions and encouragement. I am restarting as of today with a DD. When vacation comes, I will take it one day at a time and since we are staying in a condo, I should be able to cook and stay pretty well on plan.

I also love the suggestion of giving myself a range of UD/DD calories based on the level of weight loss. That should help with the "I blew it " mentality if I go over on some days.

Thanks again!
tnanock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Hi Kim

I've had a similar problem - it's okay - just breathe!

Let's both recommit - we can do this!!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote