Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
who else is fully fasting on down days?

I know I have seen some posts about it.
Wondering how you are doing and feeling with it.
do you just fast one down day a week or all of them? Planned or random?

Most dd fasting just seems easier than eating lately.

I have been randomly adding full fast days (24-40 hours) , not super great with my rotations this summer, (three down with four up is just maintenance for me it seems) I read Eat Stop Eat. - decided I could do with more fasting and less feeding.
My weight is hovering in the same 5 lb range mercilessly. This is the weight I spiked to when pcos dominated my life about 11 years ago and my poor ol bod doesn't seem to care to leave. I'm trying to up exercise a bit. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
I am not! It kills me to bring my #'s down to 500. By mid-morning on a DD I am about to eat the furniture in my office. My hats off to you gals that can, I just can't!

My thoughts for you....Good luck! I will be watching to see how you succeed!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I am throwing one in as a Cleansing day every week. I talked at length with MiniMonkey on the Diameateous Earth thread and decided to add it to my JUDDD as sort of a weekly cleanse. I drink lemon water/ACV every day first thing in the morning. On fast day, I drink this and plain water all day. Love the feeling and I am losing about 1.5 to 2 lb per week. I really think I may have lost more except that I began natural BHRT on Jun 1 and found out afterwards, that you gain weight in the first weeks of BHRT.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Omg. I'm fasting today on a DD till a late social dinner tonight and I could keel over every time I stand up. Not sure I'm up for the full day fast.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
I don't know if it's considered a fast because I have cream in my coffee but I'll have a day once a week or every two weeks that that's all I have. But most DDs I just have coffee with cream and then a small dinner. I'm one of those that once i start eating I feel more hungry.
Jbinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

jbinme, You are fasting although it sort of depends on how much cream? Cream is loaded with calories.. 51 cal per tbsp for heavy cream. Do you drink lots of water with your coffee?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I've only done a couple fasts and they weren't planned, just "not hungry" days. I thought about incorporating them more often and planning them, but I didn't notice any better weight loss or NSVs, so I'd rather just eat.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
So today I've had 3 cups of coffee. Each with 1/2 tbsp hwc. Also with sweetner. 1 with splenda 2 with stevia. My hwc is 60cal/tbsp so 90 cal today. And then I drink lots of water. I got a real cool cup at walmart that has a lid and straw and I fill it with ice water and carry it around with me.
Oh the other thing I'm trying today is adding coconut oil to my coffee. I used 1/2 tsp in 2 of my coffees. Didn't someone say you don't have to count those calories??
Old 06-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I started fasting on DD's again after my one cup of coffee with HWC and 1 T of coconut oil. Then I do not eat breakfast on UD other than the coffee with HWC and coconut oil and then do not eat until noon or after.
It is easier for me right now to do it this way. I have too much going on to try to do ****** everyday and fix food when I can just as easily not eat every other day.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
I do a full fast on 99% of my DDs.

Didn't start out to intentionally do that, but just worked out that way. I've never had problems with hunger or feeling weak, headaches, etc. on a full fast. Am usually pretty active those days, too.

If I'm hungry, I'll eat, so it's not something set in stone. Just don't usually feel the need or desire. My UDs are very generous and nourishing, though.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
So today I've had 3 cups of coffee. Each with 1/2 tbsp hwc. Also with sweetner. 1 with splenda 2 with stevia. My hwc is 60cal/tbsp so 90 cal today. And then I drink lots of water. I got a real cool cup at walmart that has a lid and straw and I fill it with ice water and carry it around with me.
Oh the other thing I'm trying today is adding coconut oil to my coffee. I used 1/2 tsp in 2 of my coffees. Didn't someone say you don't have to count those calories??
Up to 3 tbsp. Although, you may want to start out with one and work your way up. It will help take the place of the cream and is a nice touch!

I am trying to clean it up with my fast. I gave up wine in May till I get to goal weight and went to whole foods paleo style limited dairy. Mostly trying to see where I have issues with food period. By limiting, it helps me to watch my other health issues. I didn't use stevia much, but once in a while added to my whipped cream. So, with limiting dairy, I am giving up stevia. I am adding the EVCO regularly as well, but mostly to cook with. I will refrain from my beloved cocoa crack as well.

Last edited by sunday; 06-22-2012 at 02:32 PM..
Old 06-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: minimonkey
Stats: 5'0" -- very small frame
WOE: Clean eating, whole foods
I am thinking I may fasting on some of my down days -- I think I actually have an easier time with full fasting than I do with very limited calories, a lot of the time. Plus, I like the cleansing effect of fasting.

I'll still do coffee, but I drink it black, so that isn't much of an issue.
minimonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

By fasting I mean total fast dry or only water.
not just liquids (that is limited mono diet not fast)
although I do that sometimes too
I define fast really strictly to myself. No calories caffeine or anything beyond pure water.
otherwise for me it is merely limited diet or fasting from a specific thing.

I'm trying to get in at least fifteen hours dry fast and remainder just water.
Oddly enough I usually feel great fasting and I really want the benefits of dry fasting when I can, I know it boosts healing.

I don't have a problem deciding to turn a fast day into a down day if that is what I feel like I need to do, I'm not trying to torture myself. I hope no one else is either

Last edited by b_lou_who; 06-22-2012 at 03:12 PM..
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I started fasting on DD's again after my one cup of coffee with HWC and 1 T of coconut oil. Then I do not eat breakfast on UD other than the coffee with HWC and coconut oil and then do not eat until noon or after.
It is easier for me right now to do it this way. I have too much going on to try to do ****** everyday and fix food when I can just as easily not eat every other day.
Do you then count hours after the coffee with fats as fast until you eat next day? Do you try to get in a specific number of hours fasted? Just curious. There are so many plans and opinions on IF out there now :
Old 06-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
I do a full fast on 99% of my DDs.

Didn't start out to intentionally do that, but just worked out that way. I've never had problems with hunger or feeling weak, headaches, etc. on a full fast. Am usually pretty active those days, too.

If I'm hungry, I'll eat, so it's not something set in stone. Just don't usually feel the need or desire. My UDs are very generous and nourishing, though.
Just have to say again, I love the freedom of judddd and IF.
we get to choose what and when with nobody bossing us around. Makes food so much more peaceful.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
Do you then count hours after the coffee with fats as fast until you eat next day? Do you try to get in a specific number of hours fasted? Just curious. There are so many plans and opinions on IF out there now :
I end up with 24 hours with nothing but water from morning to morning. I am not aiming at a specific number. I was waking up on UD's not hungry so I started just having the cofee with HWC and coconut oil and then I am good until lunch or after. That also leaves me with more calories for a small lunch and a BIG dinner on UD's. .
Old 06-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Awesome Adi. Thank you for the input. Do you feel like you have seen any new health benefits or improved losses?
Old 06-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

We shall see on the losses. According to my bounce pattern, I should be at a new low in the morning. Let's hope my prediction is right.
I actually feel like I have more energy on DD afternoons and evenings than I did when I was eating 350 - 500 calories. I would just hit a wall in the late afternoon early evening and was so weak I could barely finish my chores. Eating nothing has eliminated that. Sounds backwards but it is working for me energywise. Maybe giving my liver and digestive system a break is helping.
Then when I feel like I should be starving I wake up for my UD not hungry at all so I am going with the flow and not eating until I actually FEEL hungry. Hope that will also help me keep my UD's from becoming UUAA days.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/152/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
Old 06-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: minimonkey
Stats: 5'0" -- very small frame
WOE: Clean eating, whole foods
I define fasting a little more loosely than you do -- I allow for coffee and tea, so long as they are black -- and also supplements, if I am going to do it regularly.

But within those parameters, I am considering doing a couple of fast days on my down days weekly.
minimonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimonkey View Post
I define fasting a little more loosely than you do -- I allow for coffee and tea, so long as they are black -- and also supplements, if I am going to do it regularly.

But within those parameters, I am considering doing a couple of fast days on my down days weekly.
Okay, then I am doing a loose fast, because I allow lemon and acv in my 1st water, then strict water. I don't take my supplements except for thyroid and estradial. Just one day a week for now. I may actually do more later.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
Do any of you completely combine JUDDD with IF??

Basically, you would be fasting 24hrs/day and then eating your DD meal or UD meal each evening x 7 days/week.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post

Basically, you would be fasting 24hrs/day and then eating your DD meal or UD meal each evening x 7 days/week.
I am doing this one day per week. I eat my last meal at 5:00 UD and then eat my next meal about 41 hours after, so 10 am the next UD. I don't know if it would be a more than once a week rotation for me, as I am new at trying this. Would love to know if anyone else is trying this?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post

IF doesn't have to be 24 hours.
I usually do (or try to do ) Fast 5 + JUDDD.
(Restrict eating to a 5-hour window, fast for 19 hours.
Although I think the definition of "fast" is rather generous,
since these plans count from when you stop eating,
not from when your stomach is empty).
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:49 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
I fasted every DD for 4 weeks and found it easy. Complete fasts with only water to drink. But I had to stop because I could not take my supplements and needed to. Now I fast only on Mondays. I'll have to look back and see what the effect was but I don't think it was greatly different than keeping regular DDs. I just found it easy for a time not to think about what to eat.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

My version of fasting (I drink one cup of coffee with HWC and 1 T coconut oil) is working for me. I have dropped one pound following each of the last 3 DD's with this combo.
153.8 (almost one pound)
Maybe it is the coconut oil???
Old 06-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Lou, I can look this up if you don't have time, but what are the advantages of dry fasting? I can go from UD dinner to DD dinner on coffee, green tea, and tons of water. I am working my way down to having a delicious DD dinner of water with a water chaser. But I find the idea of fasting 'dry' to be, frankly, frightening.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post

we get to choose what and when with nobody bossing us around. Makes food so much more peaceful.
Ah-h-h-h! Peaceful food!

Good thought!
That gives us time for the other things in our lives...
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LightlyStarched
I am fasting on down days. Just coffee, tea and water. I am tired of the itty bitty meals that leave me still hungry.

I am doing it a little bit differently though. I am planning on doing two up days followed by a down day. So every third day is a complete fast. I'll eat 2000 cals on each up day so it averages out to like 1333 cals per day. Just started this uh, yesterday. We'll see how it goes.

Am I still doing JUDDD if I'm not doing every other day?

Last edited by LightlyStarched; 06-23-2012 at 08:11 AM..
LightlyStarched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

I think technically judddd is truly the up day down day alternate -day diet. But tons of us (no pun intended) do someday form of intermittent fasting for which there are a zillion opinions but no actual rules. You can follow an existing plan or make your own that suits your body and lifestyle. Its a fascinating subject.
You will have to investigate dry fasting for the bennies. I do know one day of dry fasting has the accellerated benefit of at least three days water fasting because the body has nothing else to deal with - at least for the realm of healing. Which is not to say the results are comparable for fat loss. I don't consider or call it a fast if there are calories or flavors or caffeine or chemicals because the body still has to process those and is not fully resting or fasted. Its great to do a partial fast as part of a diet, just isn't a full fast.
That really is the most interesting part of judddd, that the fat loss benefits are about the same with very low calories down day eating and full fast. The most fun part is of course the up day

Last edited by b_lou_who; 06-23-2012 at 10:15 AM..
Old 06-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightlyStarched View Post
I am fasting on down days. Just coffee, tea and water. I am tired of the itty bitty meals that leave me still hungry.

I am doing it a little bit differently though. I am planning on doing two up days followed by a down day. So every third day is a complete fast. I'll eat 2000 cals on each up day so it averages out to like 1333 cals per day. Just started this uh, yesterday. We'll see how it goes.

Am I still doing JUDDD if I'm not doing every other day?
Keep us updated! That sounds like the eat stop eat version of IF with two 24 hour fast days. I may try that for the rest of the summer just trying to accommodate so many long camping weekends with groups.