Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ghostface
I'm a dude, should I try JUDDD from LC?

I'm a dude, 31, 5'11". in feb i was my highest ever at 301. Started doing low carb since feb and am down to 253 now. I'd ultimately like to get down around 200, but I always just set 20lb dropzones in my mind as mini goals.

been having good success, there have been 3-4 times I have taken a "day off" during that period and eaten whatever I please.

In any case, I am kinda flatlining the last week because I feel i'm getting a little burned out of this WOE and have been macking on nuts and things i shouldn't really too much, I know I need to tighten up, but just kinda feel burned out about it...

so I've lurked around LCF for recipes and such for a while and finally registered after accidentally coming across this JUDDD business.

I have to say this is very intriguing to me. I feel i am pretty good about following a diet plan, but I'm starting to feel like i have nothing to look forward to with LC. I also have days where I don't even feel hungry and really could probably just fast, especially if I knew i could eat something desirable the next day. this juddd seems really crazy to me because it seems for my personality and lifestyle it would be very easy for me to eat this way.

I'm just curious about guys doing it and their experiences or suggestions for dudes and how much could I expect to lose as I zero in on getting down to 200. I'm happy with the rate I've been losing at (roughly 12lbs/mo) and just strugging with if I just need to re-focus my efforts of what i've been doing, or maybe halfway is a good point to switch it up, but with the switch up comes risk...so....what say you?
ghostface is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
I'm not a guy, but I'm married to one! am I qualified? DH really noticed my losses and in mid February he asked me to help him lose some weight. I gave him the "G I Diet" book because it's simple, he's a really busy person, and I thought it might help him to start making healthier choices.

However, I told him if he would eat what I eat and what I serve him and not do his usual of stopping to pick up half a gallon of ice cream and chocolate syrup or eat a whole box of cheese-its every day, he would lose weight.

I explained JUDD as "calorie cycling" and gave him a brief overview of the Alternate Day Diet. He liked it ok, but wanted me to take care of the details.

Bottom line is I kind of did stealth JUDD on him because I'm a great cook and he loves all the recipes I make up. He lost 28 pounds in 8 weeks.

He could stand to lose another 15 pounds, but he looks great and feels great. I almost always have made him breakfast and dinner in the past 6 years since he stopped traveling constantly for business and now has an 8-5 local job.

But now I'm also packing his lunches. I pretty much did a 35% Dd for him and it worked. He was able to stop doing stuff like eating half a jar of peanut butter right out of the jar! Now when I give him cottage cheese and pineapple with a dash of cinnamon for dessert he is totally happy. Or SF jello with SF heavy whipping cream, he is just as happy.

When he has ice cream, he does not have to have a huge bowl. He is more careful.

Anyway, since JUDD seems to fit your personality I think you should totally go for it! All you have to lose is unwanted poundage. Right?

Once the SIRT1 gene kicks in full force, you will find this a breeze and very pleasurable.

I'm suspecting Jamie (screen name Ohio Guy) will pop in and give you some of his illustrious wisdom!

This is not a quick weight loss fix per sey. However, it's something you can stick with long term and has great fat burning/muscle preserving power which is a huge plus.

to the forum! We all look forward to getting to know you.

Feel free to ask any questions you can think of.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Yay a man! my husband has been Juddding with me. He only has about 15 lbs to lose but it is going. The DD are easy for him but he has a bit of trouble getting all his UD calories in. It sounds like at this point in your life Juddd would be perfect for you. There's nothing you can't eat on your UD as long as it fits into your calorie budget. It's usually best to start with an UD. Good luck. Let us know how it's going.
Vanessa
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

lol, thanks for the response. wasn't necessarily looking for dudes only to respond, just responses with a dude's juddd experiment in mind.

it's funny you mentioned cottage cheese with fruit as I love that. I never ate cottage cheese until I was 26 because of growing up in a family of cottage cheese haters, and always thought it was gross without every really trying it i guess. one day I tried it and it blew my mind and mixing it with fruit!...mind blown x2! I'm a big fruit person so that is a thing about LC that bugs me is not eating fruit. I would be in heaven looking forward to eating as much fruit as I please every other day.

i feel like i may be the type of person that would maybe not have enough calories on the up days even and have to really make sure i eat enough.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Yes!!! Do it!!!

Congrats on losing 50lbs this year already!!!

My only suggestion would be to re-introduce carbs slowly if they have any tendency to "set you off" with cravings, or mindlessly munching your way through a bag of potato chips/box of cookies/etc, or are associated with bad habits--eating late at night, drinking too much, etc. Also, if it turns out JUDDD isn't for you, you won't have to go through the process of giving up carbs all over again.

You really hit the nail on the head for a lot of JUDDDers as far as feeling like there's nothing to look forward to on LC...it's so much easier to "diet" when you can have A NORMAL VERSION of whatever you're craving tomorrow! Not that there's anything wrong with LC; I do believe it's healthier to avoid or minimize grains & sugar; but it's easier & cheaper for me to occasionally have a cookie or bowl of rice than to make an entire sugar-free pork rind cheesecake () that my vegetarian son can't eat!!!

Many people (like myself, because I'm diabetic) choose to stay LC but we often find that if we do have reasonable amounts of carbs, we don't have as strong a reaction to them (like fatigue, cravings, racing heart).

I hope you give it a whirl! I bet you will make us all furious with how quickly you lose weight!!!

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-20-2012 at 06:38 PM..
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

thanks muffabuff, how long has your husband been eating juddd and what type of progress has he had towards his 15lb goal?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Yes!!! Do it!!!

Congrats on losing 50lbs this year already!!!

My only suggestion would be to re-introduce carbs slowly if they have any tendency to "set you off" with cravings, or mindlessly munching your way through a bag of potato chips/box of cookies/etc, or are associated with bad habits--eating late at night, drinking too much, etc. Also, if it turns out JUDDD isn't for you, you won't have to go through the process of giving up carbs all over again.

You really hit the nail on the head for a lot of JUDDDers as far as feeling like there's nothing to look forward to on LC...it's so much easier to "diet" when you can have A NORMAL VERSION of whatever you're craving tomorrow! Not that there's anything wrong with LC; I do believe it's healthier to avoid or minimize grains & sugar; but it's easier & cheaper for me to occasionally have a cookie or bowl of rice than to make an entire sugar-free pork rind cheesecake () that my vegetarian son can't eat!!!

Many people (like myself, because I'm diabetic) choose to stay LC but we often find that if we do have reasonable amounts of carbs, we don't have as strong a reaction to them (like fatigue, cravings, racing heart).

I hope you give it a whirl! I bet you will make us all furious with how quickly you lose weight!!!
lol thanks, i mean i feel like eating a jimmy johns sub on an upday would be SO rewarding. i LOVE jimmy john's bread. I'm a bread guy and love sweet potatoes, brown rice, like a chipotle burrito bowl would be a treat with some rice, let alone and actual whole grain tortilla burrito. eating nice whole grain bread sandwiches...makes my mouth water thinking about it...like i feel like the things I think would be "treats" really aren't that bad food, but totally blast you out of a LC diet.

this past 4 months of eating low carb has really changed the way I look at food. I eat more natural clean foods, less processed. and occasionally make a crazy "treat" recipe with making cookies or something out of almond flour and weird things i had to specially go buy just for that recipe. I'd love the idea of just eating a regular cookie on an upday as a treat. and it really seems like it gives you that "put your credit card in ice/do i really need it" type of time-out think-about it time before you eat someting if you crave something on an down day.

I eat salads at jason's deli a lot and eating a salad and not having to skip over raisins in the trail mix and eat some apple slices or some of those ginger muffins would be so awesome if I can do that and still make progress toward my goal.

but i want to be realistic. it's exciting thinking about the food's i'd be able to eat, but I have more progress to make and don't want that to be overshadowed. I know a lot of ladies love this woe, but was just curious if you had to predict, would I be able to keep a similar pace to what I've been able to do on LC diet by eating JUDDD? (you will be held accountable )

Quote:
Also, if it turns out JUDDD isn't for you, you won't have to go through the process of giving up carbs all over again.
i'm not sure i understand what you mean with this?

Last edited by ghostface; 06-20-2012 at 06:54 PM..
Old 06-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I meant, if JUDDD didn't work out for you & you decided to go back to low carb, it could be more difficult if you'd gotten used to eating bread, burritos, rice & beans etc. Maybe switching to LC was no big deal for you? Lots of people talk about "induction flu" or having a sugar addiction, so re-introducing carbs can be tricky.

Sorry if I'm not explaining well...?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Welcome to JUDDD! Congrats on your great success with LC!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface View Post
if you had to predict, would I be able to keep a similar pace to what I've been able to do on LC diet by eating JUDDD? (you will be held accountable )
It seems a lot of people lose FASTER on JUDDD than on Low Carb!!!
I think your pace is pretty impressive (at my recent rate, it would take me about 2-3 years to lose what you did in 4 months ) and if you're getting closer to goal weight you might slow down a bit regardless of which WOE you're following...but yes, you can probably expect similar results.
Lots of ladies around here have months where they lose 10-15-20lbs!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I think your pace is pretty impressive (at my recent rate, it would take me about 2-3 years to lose what you did in 4 months ) and if you're getting closer to goal weight you might slow down a bit regardless of which WOE you're following...but yes, you can probably expect similar results.
i think i'm going to give it a go.

I know I always read complaints of guys losing faster than women (sorry ladies) but I'm just trying to use my recent history as my barometer to compare my progress for juddd. I have one of those withings wifi scales and I ust an app called libra that syncs with it, and it makes a nice pretty chart and trendline of my weight being zapped through the cloud, and never thought staring at a downward trendline on a graph while daydreaming could be so motivating. I'd be really bummed to see the slope of that line level off (unless it's at 200 )

does anyone have an good apps for calorie tracking? on LC i've never tracked calories much, but I'm sure there has to be a clever solution that is a forum favorite. I need to go calculate my calorie limits and plan some meals out!

edit: wow...sticky for calorie counters...duh

Last edited by ghostface; 06-20-2012 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: duh
Old 06-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

ok so i just went and used a calculator, does this look about right?

I'm starting to get really excited because I honestly feel like dd's are not going to be hard for me at all, and ud's sound so exciting just to eat a sandwich and some fruit (lol sound's like i'm an orphan or something, can i have some more gruel)

so during induction 2 weeks I'm supposed to keep down days at 500, and then after I can up them to almost 1000/day (35%)? obviously it seems the lower the down days the better the progress, but that's what I'm after, but gives me a little 400 or so cal bumper if needed.

now, i'm pretty sedentary lately, if I workout on a given day, do I need to account for that? say if I do 200 cal of exercise on a DD, that's only 300, is that still cool? one of the things about a low calorie diet that is annoying is trying to estimate what you eat and what your activity burned and take those 2 made up numbers and determine if you need to eat more or less on a given day. but really it seems like if you under eat/over exercise one day it balances itself out when you have an upday directly after that, no?

Old 06-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface View Post
ok so i just went and used a calculator, does this look about right?

Yep! You got it right!

I'm starting to get really excited because I honestly feel like dd's are not going to be hard for me at all, and ud's sound so exciting just to eat a sandwich and some fruit (lol sound's like i'm an orphan or something, can i have some more gruel)

so during induction 2 weeks I'm supposed to keep down days at 500, and then after I can up them to almost 1000/day (35%)? obviously it seems the lower the down days the better the progress, but that's what I'm after, but gives me a little 400 or so cal bumper if needed.

Right. I use the 35% as a bumper if I occasionally need it. But when I'm doing a good job on JUDD (say this because I just got back from an extended vacation) I stick as close to 20-25% as possible.

now, i'm pretty sedentary lately, if I workout on a given day, do I need to account for that? say if I do 200 cal of exercise on a DD, that's only 300, is that still cool? one of the things about a low calorie diet that is annoying is trying to estimate what you eat and what your activity burned and take those 2 made up numbers and determine if you need to eat more or less on a given day. but really it seems like if you under eat/over exercise one day it balances itself out when you have an upday directly after that, no?

The wisdom around this forum says that you don't eat back your exercise calories. In other words, as long as you are in WLM you should set the calculator at little to no exercise.

This seems to be because Dr. J's calculations are overly generous and also because lots of people estimate or use the machines at the gyms which often are unreliable.

Just stick w/ no exercise and you will be good.

Sounds like you are already off to a good start with all your planning! You are a pro already!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Look on this forum and you will see a thread called List of Online Calorie Counters and Calculators. There are some suggestions on that thread. It's a sticky at the top of the list of threads.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
WOE: JUDDD
Ghostface...you sound like a very sensible guy. You are gonna do great! Already have some great advice too! You will have loads of support! Cheering you on....so get STARTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phyl
gotitnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
The wisdom around this forum says that you don't eat back your exercise calories. In other words, as long as you are in WLM you should set the calculator at little to no exercise.

This seems to be because Dr. J's calculations are overly generous and also because lots of people estimate or use the machines at the gyms which often are unreliable.

Just stick w/ no exercise and you will be good.

Sounds like you are already off to a good start with all your planning! You are a pro already!
pro? lol, it's so simple.

sounds good, i don't want to "eat back my calories" makes the math simpler. the thing about low calorie diets with exercise that annoyed me is you could eat really clean and do some good working out, but get in starvation mode and not have enough which seems really counter-intuitive...so I'll just stick to my calorie counts regardless of if I exercise that day or not and won't have to worry.

also, what is WLM?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotitnow View Post
Ghostface...you sound like a very sensible guy. You are gonna do great! Already have some great advice too! You will have loads of support! Cheering you on....so get STARTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phyl
lol, thanks for that. telling me to get started sounds like "go eat some carbs" lol

I'll wait till tomorrow and enjoy my up day nice and clean.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
I think you'll like JUDDD. I am 5'11" and well...you can see my stats. Anyways, I have done very well, but I do stick pretty low carb. I just started on Friday and have lost 3 pounds. For a chick that has unmedicated hypothyroid, I think its pretty good. I am going to stick with it. I will say my UD carbs are low, but not at all non-existant. Below 20 on my DDs for sure.

I think you will have a sandwich or two and once you realize you CAN have it, you likely won't on a regular basis.

Good luck and check in often!!

6/22/13 restart of NK
amlyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Hey Ghostface, my husband said he will weigh in this weekend and let me know how much he has lost. We have been doing it since 3/26/12 actually he started about two weeks after I did. He's 6 ft 3 in. I put Splenda on cottage cheese even with fruit, it is so so good. Also sometimes I mix it with SF rasp jam yummy! Check in with me this weekend and I'll be able to tell you how much he's lost ok? Enjoy your first UD don't go crazy lol.
Vanessa

Last edited by Muffabuff; 06-20-2012 at 11:32 PM..
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:30 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KelAly8894
Stats: 124/118/110
WOE: JUDDD 1500/500
Start Date: 5/29/2012
Hey Ghostface. I am also a former Low Carber. Just wanted to let you know that, if you up the carbs when you start JUDDD, you will have a temporary increase in water weight. But, no worries, this is temporary. A lot of other JUDDDers can attest to this.
KelAly8894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:06 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
OOOO I just had my first Jimmy Johns a few weeks ago. Wow! I totally agree the bread is a huge component of why they are !

From the book, Dr J definitely used both male & female test subjects when he designed JUDDD. I have read the book several times and am reasonably sure he does not specify "no boys allowed".

".... it really seems like it gives you that "put your credit card in ice/do i really need it" type of time-out think-about it time before you eat someting if you crave something on an down day"

Yep

Planning both DD and UD eating is key to JUDDD success. I think you are making very good plans!

STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 06-21-2012 at 04:08 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wallee
Stats: 147/142/140

You've definitely got the right mindset, I think you're gonna totally rock the JUDDD plan!! Good luck and keep us posted!! Oh, and your posts were cracking me UP!
Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
Ghost, my husband and I started JUDDD on 04/18/12 he is down 29 pounds as of this morning. He had loved JUDDD. He has followed LC with me but wanted to drink beer and such so he never really lost much weight. I think JUDDD will work great for you if you stay true to the numbers! Good luck!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:03 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

thanks for all the replies and encouragement and the specific numbers and timelines for husbands and such. I'll surely post updates. I'll continue with my withings scale (i LOVE this thing) and just set up an account for calorie tracking so I'll update with pretty graphs.

i'm off to go eat some carbs lol
Old 06-21-2012, 06:03 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Showcats
Stats: 193/168.6/150 5'6" Age 48
Start Date: 4/1/12 (177.8)
My husband started JUDDD two weeks ago to lose 10 pounds. He lost 5 the first week and 3 so far this week. Even so close to goal it was so easy for him. He is 5'11" and 49 years old. He is currently at 162. Good Luck!
Showcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WLM means weight loss mode.

Quote:
obviously it seems the lower the down days the better the progress,
Surprisingly, this is not the case for everyone.
Some people lose the same on 300 cal DDs as on 500 cal, and find the 500 less stressful, so they do that. Or some people try fasting on DDs and don't lose any faster, either. Everybody has a different "sweet spot".
Health benefits may be better or different with lower DD cals, but I think most of us want to get the weight off first!!!

Also, a lot of people get drastically smaller while not losing the weight they would expect to--
I was checking out The Maintenance Lane recently and it happens even when not trying to lose any more weight!!!
So watch out for how your belt or pants are fitting, and don't get too frustrated with the scale number.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
And congrats on what you have lost so far with LC.. This way of eating can be so freeing.. You never really feel like your dieting.. due to there are no foods off limit. So best of luck to you.. ~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/121.4/120
WOE: my version of healthy diet mixed with JUDDD :)
and wishing you best of luck on JUDD!!!
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Stats: 227/175/? 5'8"
Start Date: started JUDDD 3/22/2012
ghostface!

Quote:

On July 11, 2011, I joined a weight loss challenge here on the LCF Playground. My starting weight was 257. From that date until about a week and a half before Christmas 2011, I lost 40 pounds. Took right around 22 weeks to lose 40 pounds.

On March 22, 2012, I started JUDDD with a beginning weight of 227. It's taken me exactly 13 weeks to lose 42 pounds. Dieting every other day.

I think you owe it to yourself to give this a chance.

Wishing you every success!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Stats: 227/175/? 5'8"
Start Date: started JUDDD 3/22/2012
Sheridan's Helpful Hint For Newbies:

Dig out a pair of pants that you can't fit into that you've hidden in the back of your closet. If that's not possible, go to a thrift/charity shop and buy a pair of pants that are somewhat too small to get into. Try those pants on frequently, especially if you show no downward movement on the scale. You will almost certainly be amazed at the changes your body is making even though you may not see it documented on the scale. Pants are a much better tool to show progress than is the scale. As you are able to fit comfortably into the tight pants, go get another pair to use as a gauge.

Another thing is to go out and get a measuring tape and measure yourself right at the beginning and periodically retake those measurements. Very often you will find you're shrinking even though the scale doesn't show it.

JUDDD has changed my life
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote