Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 01:36 AM   #61
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ghostface
it's an old timey themed restaurant. I love it. I googled around and found a picture of a meal almost identical to the one i ate, except i had carrots instead of the mystery side in the middle. I love this meal. of the 3-4 "off days" i had while low carbing, I think I went and ate this twice.

ghostface is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2012, 01:56 AM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I think I want to go on a date with you.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:49 AM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface View Post
now on my down day, I opened the fridge and looked at the 170 vs 100 and thought "why in the world did I think i'd be ok with a 170cal shake on a down day"
and Amen! When I started, I found myself :WHAT was I thinking?!?!!" a lot. I still occasionally think something will be a great DD meal, then realize I really really don't want or need that many calories.

Oh, I do love Cracker Barrel!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
OMG is that chicken-fried steak???!

I've never been to Cracker Barrel...
looks like an American comfort food extravaganza!!!

(I have to leave now...this is a Down Day for me!!!)
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Haha, its actually country fried chicken, but yes comfort food! I love cracker barrel.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Hi, Ghostface - can you tell we are all really excited to have more men join the JUDDD forum! I think part of this, for some of us, is we're hoping to show our husbands/significant others that this way of eating can be successful for anyone, not just women. So we'll be learning (and sharing) from your experiences - no pressure LOL!

I also came from LC, as so many others on this forum, and switched to JUDDD after I'd lost the bulk of my weight on LC. I kinda stalled out and was looking towards the day I reached goal and needed a maintenance WOE that I could maintain for life. JUDDD is it. I reached goal a couple of months ago and have been maintaining nicely ever since. Like you, LC taught me so much about how certain foods affect my body, my mood, health, weight,etc. This knowledge has been invaluable and has helped me to transition to JUDDD. The carbier foods I've incorporated back into my life are more the exceptions than the rule, and I see treats more for what they are - TREATS, not substitutes for meals. Not sayin' I haven't done that a time or two after a particularly wicked day, though!

I'm also a fan of specific no-brainer foods on my DDs. Just seems to make life a bit simpler. I seem to cycle. A month or two w/the same few DD foods, then I'll find something else appealing, but easy. Right now, I love the Quest protein bars. They're high protein, low carb and very filling to me. However, at about 200 cals, they're a chunk of the DD cals, so it's good that they're filling. And my good JUDDD Buddds are always posting some creative new food/food combo that helps fill those limited DD cals nicely. Oh, be sure to check out the sticky "DD Food Finds" for some great suggestions.

Good luck to you and we're glad you're here! Male or female, we're all just trying to be healthy, lose some weight, and keep it off for good, right?
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #67
Junior LCF Member

LOL, i was reading your first paragraph, thinking oh great, she's looking to me to be a shining example for JUDDD husbands everywhere, oh the pressure! but then you said no pressure, so now I'm fine. I hope I can have great success and you can point to my experience and say look husbands! he did it...but i gotta get through my first week first
Old 06-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Sun Warrior shakes are vegan and no soy! They're somewhat pricey, and I've only tried the vanilla warrior blend so far, but am happy with it. 84 calories per scoop. The rice blend only has 70 calories per scoop too, but they don't have that one at my store. I'll be ordering it when I run out of the warrior blend.
I've used both the Warrior blend, and the Rice protein, and prefer the rice. It's less gritty, and fewer cals. If you google Raw Food World, they have the Rice protein in their At-Cost specials. It's a really good deal.

Welcome Ghostface!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #69
Junior LCF Member

thanks for that tip and welcome, i was trying to find an online deal on some of the sun warrior stuff to try. the site you mentioned has "raw warrior" on sale. appears to be a different brand than "sun warrior". does sun warrior make a rice protein or when people are tlaking about the rice protein are they talking about raw warrior? I'm confused.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #70
Junior LCF Member

the sun warrior price at that site is not really any better than I've seen it anywhere else online. however I just ordered some warrior blend from another site, they have the warrior blend choc and van on sale for as cheap as I've seen. local store didn't have it, so ordered it. excited to try it out since it seems to get rave reviews everywhere. and 84 calories for a single serving is pretty exciting that i could probably squeeze in at different points in a down day.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Glad you found some. I think you'll like it.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #72
Junior LCF Member

week 1 done. -3.3lbs a little bounce mid week, but went back down. I think I'm pretty good about not sweating small numbers/fluctuations.

here's a capture from my libra app I use with my withings scale. I love this app. This is my journey since Feb. the actual numbers are at the bottom of the white vertical lines. the redline is the trendline. the blue line is an arbitrary goal you set in the app, I've just been setting it to random 15-20lbs lower than I am now, so about time to readjust that.

although it seems like a tiny feature, the trendline has been an amazing thing to not sweat the actual numbers and just to make sure that redline is still heading down. another good thing is when you enter a goal, it doesn't say "met" until your trendline (which lags your actual weight if you started higher) hits the goal number. so for instance I was 249.7 this morning and my goal is 50, but it estimates my trendline hitting 250 on july 1. i like that. it makes you not get over-excited to hit some number, and keep going.

you can see where my "breaks" from low carb were. coming to juddd shortly after a break and just feeling a little burned out like "great, another month till I can eat some fruit again..." so the yellow arrow I added to show where juddd started. I'm happy to see my trendline is looking good as it was on lowcarb and hasn't leveled out, which is what i was worried about. I just wanted to post this now since I don't have much juddd data. probably in the future i'll just post data starting from the juddd start date so it will be easier to see juddd related stuff only

(sorry for the data dorkiness, I'm an engineer)

Old 06-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #73

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Glad to see you're having such success! My DH JUDDDs along with me and loses great, better than I do, typical for a man. You guys just have higher metabolisms.

KUTGW!!!!
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #74

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
We actually have a whole thread of graphs. It's not dorkiness. It's just what we do. I'll try to find it for you.

ETA: Found it: My Bouncing Ball Stairway Chart

It's been a while since any of us posted our charts.

Last edited by KeirasMom; 06-27-2012 at 12:57 PM..
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #75
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Quote:

No apologies! I them. I'm married to one!

Graphs are great tools and I look forward to seeing more of yours.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #76
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
And I birthed one. And he just graduated in May so is a very new one.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #77
Junior LCF Member

thanks for that link dawn. when i get some judddd (the extra d's for data! lol) I'll post updates to that thread and hopefully breathe some life into it. the way i have my tracking all setup up it's harder for me to get a list of numbers than to post a graph.

it's an up day, and i ate a banana and some cottage cheese this morning, and don't feel hungry. feeling like I have a long way to go to 2800 cals...i feel like the novelty of up days wore off kinda fast, i guess that's good....

I'm curious about sirt "turning on", is there an actual way to determine when this happens a la keto stix or something?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #78

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I think the appetite suppression is a good indicator that your sirts are active. Another thing a lot of people report is a feeling of well-being or increased energy.

Interestingly, if you have ketostix, you may find they still change color on DDs, even if you're not doing low carb. It's pretty cool.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #79
Junior LCF Member

I just finished reading the book. in the FAQ section of the book there is a question "how much should I eat on an up day"

he replies:
[blah blah, psychology, etc] then...
Quote:
Oddly, on the basis of the Calorie Calculator, some dieters seem to believe that there is a specific number of calories they are required to eat on the up days. But the sole purpose of using the Calorie Calculator is to estimate the number of calories to eat on your down days. You absolutely do not have to consume all the calories estimated for you up days. There is no specific calorie requirement for the up day.

The most important principle of the Alternate-Day Diet is to keep your down-day calories as low as practical while maintaining the up-day down-day pattern over the long term.
so like i was mentioning earlier today, an up day, i wasn't feeling super hungry, and i probably would have eaten less than my "normal day" number on the calculator, but made myself do it going to burger king and adding some oreos after reading around here about people eating too little, and threads like "YOU HAVE TO EAT" etc.

so i guess my question is....

Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Yeah, it's weird...somehow it's become canon around here that UDs mean eating ALL (or at least most of) your calories.

I've been hanging around here for about 8 months, and from what I've observed it seems that a lot of people DO have success eating up to or close to their UD calories, and will have undesired effects if they eat under.

So people talk about worked for them, and advise each other, and sometimes it seems the tricks & tips & suggestions morph into "facts" that aren't actually in Dr J's book.

But, I think it's part of the value of this forum, that we've figured out a lot of ways to effectively tweak (& perhaps even improve upon) the plan. If someone just read the book, and hit a stall or problem, they might not find a solution on their own.

PS--this came up recently:
Full of questions today. Need answer for DH about UD calories?
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-28-2012 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: PS
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Some of us we lose faster and at a more consistent rate if, most UDs, we eat very near the UD calculations. Some of us find if we usually eat at or slightly above MD levels, weight loss eventually stalls. Some of us really can eat to hunger on UDs. UD eating seems to be very much dependent on each individual's health and metabolism.

Which translates to: experiment, know thyself, and - over time as JUDDD takes hold and your metabolism changes - be prepared to have to experiment again.

It's all good.

Right now my rule of thumb, for me, is once in awhile, way over or way under is fine. But my prime losing range these days is current UD calculation +- 200 cals.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote